Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Tracking you during ride?

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Tracking you during ride?

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-19, 03:06 PM
Doge

Bikes: 1979 Raleigh Team 753

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3374 Post(s)
Liked 371 Times in 253 Posts
I've always tracked my kids until they were about 20.
Old 07-10-19, 04:26 PM
armybikerider

Bikes: Lynskey R330 Chris Bishop custom steel road bike

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by ksryder
I'm not sure how to make this any more plain: the Garmin Inreach and SPOT trackers do not depend on cellular network coverage.

And this may be hard for someone in NYC to comprehend but there are, in fact, many, many places in this country where cellular coverage is not universal and waiting for hours to get back into network range to update is not an ideal solution for some people. That is the problem with that.
Originally Posted by DaveLeeNC
The problem with that is if you have been out of cell coverage for a half hour, crash, and you are unconscious on the side of the road (unseen), your tracking has very little value.

Dave
Thanks guys. I thought that I was the one that was missing something.
Old 07-10-19, 06:24 PM
jbell_64

Bikes: Trek fx 7.2, Raleigh Tamland

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 66 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 10 Posts
Originally Posted by Jack Tone
I have Glympse https://glympse.com/get-glympse-app/ on my phone. My wife follows me with that. No dropouts. Yesterday for 1/1/2 hours, my phone lost 5 percent charge. Shows real time location on a map plus speed.
This is what i use to stalk my wife when she goes for a jog. For me on the bike we use the system built into the wahoo.
Old 07-11-19, 04:29 AM
nycphotography
NYC

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 1169 Post(s)
Liked 107 Times in 62 Posts
I'm not sure how to make this any more plain: the Garmin Inreach and SPOT trackers do not depend on cellular network coverage.
By what mechanism do they communicate?
Old 07-11-19, 09:47 AM
f4rrest
Farmer tan

Bikes: Allez, SuperSix Evo

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2870 Post(s)
Liked 28 Times in 23 Posts
Originally Posted by nycphotography
Satellite.
Old 07-11-19, 10:04 AM
ksryder

Bikes: yes

Quoted: 1281 Post(s)
Liked 643 Times in 329 Posts
If only there was some way to look up this information quickly.
Old 07-11-19, 10:36 AM
Seattle Forrest

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 18883 Post(s)
Liked 10,646 Times in 6,054 Posts
Iridium, SARSAT (PLB only), I think there's a third constellation in use too.

Last fall some friends hiked 20 miles into the Paysayten Wilderness, it was 10F where they camped. Really nice to get those emails from SPOT saying they made it into camp.

Therea are a lot of places that don't have cellular coverage, but have roads. One of those places is called Nevada, most of Oregon and much of Washington are black outside the cities.
Old 07-11-19, 11:47 AM
wphamilton

Bikes: Nashbar Road

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Quoted: 2934 Post(s)
Liked 341 Times in 228 Posts
I also tried Glympse which does the trick, but it didn't take long to realize that she never clicked on the Glympse map. It's when you're unexpectedly late, or maybe doing errands, that it matters.

If she wants to know now, I think I'd just give her my Google account login and teach her how to check the Google Android device manager for the location.
Old 07-12-19, 12:33 AM
Seattle Forrest

I don't think this has tracking, just texting? 4 oz device that allows you to use your phone through geo-synchronous satellites (not Iridium). Cheaper than other options.

https://satpaq.com/
Likes For Seattle Forrest:
Old 07-12-19, 10:23 AM
f4rrest
Farmer tan

Bikes: Allez, SuperSix Evo

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2870 Post(s)
Liked 28 Times in 23 Posts
Originally Posted by wphamilton
I also tried Glympse which does the trick, but it didn't take long to realize that she never clicked on the Glympse map. It's when you're unexpectedly late, or maybe doing errands, that it matters.

If she wants to know now, I think I'd just give her my Google account login and teach her how to check the Google Android device manager for the location.
Same here, lol.
Old 07-12-19, 10:34 AM
nycphotography
NYC

Quoted: 1169 Post(s)
Liked 107 Times in 62 Posts
If only there was some way to look up this information quickly.
my point was that for someone who has never had any tracking at all, the recommendation of buying a special satellite based device for this, rather than just sharing live location from a phone which will work just fine the vast majority of the time, and unless the OP rides exclusively in areas with zero cell coverage, will work much better than nothing, and is FREE, is just... well this is what you get for asking on the internet i guess.
Old 07-12-19, 10:42 AM
Seattle Forrest

@nycphotography that's all true, but in this case phone tracking will NOT work well, as outlined in post #1 , so that's also all irrelevant.
Old 07-12-19, 11:00 AM
ksryder

my point was that for someone who has never had any tracking at all, the recommendation of buying a special satellite based device for this, rather than just sharing live location from a phone which will work just fine the vast majority of the time, and unless the OP rides exclusively in areas with zero cell coverage, will work much better than nothing, and is FREE, is just... well this is what you get for asking on the internet i guess.
The OP hasn't been back since he started this thread last fall. Apparently he decided to rely on his iPhone.

Armybikerider was a later poster who was specifically asking about solutions for areas that don't have cell coverage.

I pointed out two options that don't rely on cell networks. I made no value judgments about those options, I pointed out that they exist. I didn't tell anyone that they should purchase those options. I said that they exist.

I can state factual information without offering opinions as to whether I think they are wise choices.

Then you made categorical statements that there are no options that don't rely on cell phone coverage. So again, I pointed out that there actually are options that don't rely on cell networks.

Whether or not you believe that those options are valid is a separate issue than whether or not there are options that exist.
Old 07-12-19, 12:43 PM
deacon mark

Bikes: Habanero Titanium Team Nuevo

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 399 Post(s)
Liked 185 Times in 121 Posts
The OP hasn't been back since he started this thread last fall. Apparently he decided to rely on his iPhone.

Armybikerider was a later poster who was specifically asking about solutions for areas that don't have cell coverage.

I pointed out two options that don't rely on cell networks. I made no value judgments about those options, I pointed out that they exist. I didn't tell anyone that they should purchase those options. I said that they exist.

I can state factual information without offering opinions as to whether I think they are wise choices.

Then you made categorical statements that there are no options that don't rely on cell phone coverage. So again, I pointed out that there actually are options that don't rely on cell networks.

Whether or not you believe that those options are valid is a separate issue than whether or not there are options that exist.
k I am the original poster and have come back to read this for follow. It would seem to me that simply to carry my cell phone which I always do in my jersey is the best way to have contact with others. As it happens my wife lost her battle with cancer 4 months ago so now it is just myself and my 20 year old at home. He does not really keep track of me as such but being without my spouse for first time in 33 years I now figure tracking me during the ride is not really needed. No one is going to be following me so just carry the phone in an emergency. I do text my mother before I go out to ride usually early in the morning. Then text when I get back. I think basically I know the ways to track but realistically not needed. If I wipe out and go down hopefully someone will find me. Thanks for all the input.
Old 07-12-19, 12:54 PM
ksryder

Originally Posted by deacon mark
k I am the original poster and have come back to read this for follow. It would seem to me that simply to carry my cell phone which I always do in my jersey is the best way to have contact with others. As it happens my wife lost her battle with cancer 4 months ago so now it is just myself and my 20 year old at home. He does not really keep track of me as such but being without my spouse for first time in 33 years I now figure tracking me during the ride is not really needed. No one is going to be following me so just carry the phone in an emergency. I do text my mother before I go out to ride usually early in the morning. Then text when I get back. I think basically I know the ways to track but realistically not needed. If I wipe out and go down hopefully someone will find me. Thanks for all the input.
I'm truly sorry to hear of your loss.
Old 07-12-19, 12:58 PM
Seattle Forrest

Originally Posted by deacon mark
I'm so sorry to hear about your wife.
Old 07-12-19, 06:00 PM
Phil_gretz
Zip tie Karen

Bikes: '13 Motobecane Fantom29 HT, '16 Motobecane Turino Pro Disc, '18 Velobuild VB-R-022, '21 Tsunami SNM-100

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 1465 Post(s)
Liked 1,542 Times in 806 Posts
Remove the battery and smash the phone. Never let anyone track you...