Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Professional Cycling For the Fans
Reload this Page >

For Canadian Tour watchers.

Notices
Professional Cycling For the Fans Follow the Tour de France,the Giro de Italia, the Spring Classics, or other professional cycling races? Here's your home...

Old 06-28-19, 03:57 PM
peter_d
self propelled lifer

Bikes: 1962 Dawes Galaxy; 72 Gitane Interclub;73 Peugeot PR10;78 Torpado Luxe;73 Grandis; 81 Raleigh/Carlton Comp; 85 Bianchi Stelvio; 87 Bianchi Brava; 73 Bottechia Special; 1969 or70 Bob Jackson

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 7 Posts

It sounds as though Flobikes will be the sole Canadian carrier of the Tour de France starting in 2020. As long as their servers are up to it I think it'll be an improvement on Sportsnet's constant and random commercial breaks.
Old 06-29-19, 06:48 AM
Pemetic2006

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 377 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 10 Posts
Looks like Fubo offers its services in Canada - but just like here in the US you have to pay an additional $11.99 for cycling. I get Fubo from early March to early June so I can watch the classics, Tirreno - Adriatico, Romandie, and the Giro.
Old 06-29-19, 01:40 PM
Doge

Bikes: 1979 Raleigh Team 753

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Quoted: 3374 Post(s)
Liked 371 Times in 253 Posts
I thought this was about some new Tour of Canada stage race which would be super cool to see in the summer. Bummer.
Old 06-29-19, 07:44 PM
Rajflyboy
Banned.

Bikes: Orbea

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 917 Post(s)
Liked 205 Times in 170 Posts
They will probably end up playing hockey games instead
Old 06-30-19, 05:23 AM
slcbob
bored of "Senior Member"

Bikes: Cross-Check/Nexus commuter. Several others for various forms of play.

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 642 Post(s)
Liked 592 Times in 453 Posts
Originally Posted by Pemetic2006
Looks like Fubo offers its services in Canada - but just like here in the US you have to pay an additional $11.99 for cycling. I get Fubo from early March to early June so I can watch the classics, Tirreno - Adriatico, Romandie, and the Giro.
I did that this spring, using a discount code through steephill.tv. But it doesn't pencil out just for cycling. Flobikes is a better deal if you are only looking for the cycling. Fubo worth a look if you're cutting the cord and want the tv service, too.

As far as I can tell, Fubo and Flobikes carry the same stuff in the US, i.e. everything that isn't locked down by NBC. Canada, I suspect you'll be even more well served there.

Does anyone know if there is a corporate shell game going on with Fubo and Flo? Or is it just that they each have slightly different non-exclusive licenses with the organizers/distributors?

On viewing details -- and some of these are a bit fuzzy in my own mind so don't trust them, but -- Fubo required you to DVR a race if you wanted to watch it non-live, so you had to pay for the DVR feature. Flo gave you access to all the replays without putzing around with DVRing them, but you couldn't join the replay until the race was over -- you could join late and watch live, or watch from the start after the race was over, minimized controls over the live stream. IMHO, neither was great features but both worked fine and Flo was a more tolerable compromise, even without the much cheaper price.
Old 06-30-19, 08:57 AM
Pemetic2006

Originally Posted by slcbob
I did that this spring, using a discount code through steephill.tv. But it doesn't pencil out just for cycling. Flobikes is a better deal if you are only looking for the cycling. Fubo worth a look if you're cutting the cord and want the tv service, too.

As far as I can tell, Fubo and Flobikes carry the same stuff in the US, i.e. everything that isn't locked down by NBC. Canada, I suspect you'll be even more well served there.

Does anyone know if there is a corporate shell game going on with Fubo and Flo? Or is it just that they each have slightly different non-exclusive licenses with the organizers/distributors?

On viewing details -- and some of these are a bit fuzzy in my own mind so don't trust them, but -- Fubo required you to DVR a race if you wanted to watch it non-live, so you had to pay for the DVR feature. Flo gave you access to all the replays without putzing around with DVRing them, but you couldn't join the replay until the race was over -- you could join late and watch live, or watch from the start after the race was over, minimized controls over the live stream. IMHO, neither was great features but both worked fine and Flo was a more tolerable compromise, even without the much cheaper price.
I'd like to go with Flobikes but then I'd have to get Roku and I'm not sure if that's a pain or not.
As far as I know I did not have to pay more for the ability to DVR the races on Fubo and watch them later, which I did with all races.
Old 06-30-19, 09:31 AM
slcbob
bored of "Senior Member"

Bikes: Cross-Check/Nexus commuter. Several others for various forms of play.

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 642 Post(s)
Liked 592 Times in 453 Posts
Originally Posted by Pemetic2006
I'd like to go with Flobikes but then I'd have to get Roku and I'm not sure if that's a pain or not.
As far as I know I did not have to pay more for the ability to DVR the races on Fubo and watch them later, which I did with all races.
Roku is tremendous. You can get the streaming stick for $35-$50 or various other versions fore more. A good number of new TVs are coming with a Roku OS. Leave it out there as a possibility in the future. All the major (and many minor, e.g. Flo) media providers have apps that are handy to use.

However, for the moment, it sounds like you're all set up. Vive Le Tour. Enjoy.

My prognostication: Bernal wins. Pinot on the podium. Barguil polka dots. Poor Roman. Sagan green but Groenwegen more stage wins.
Old 06-30-19, 09:47 AM
Pemetic2006

Originally Posted by slcbob
Roku is tremendous. You can get the streaming stick for $35-$50 or various other versions fore more. A good number of new TVs are coming with a Roku OS. Leave it out there as a possibility in the future. All the major (and many minor, e.g. Flo) media providers have apps that are handy to use.

However, for the moment, it sounds like you're all set up. Vive Le Tour. Enjoy.

My prognostication: Bernal wins. Pinot on the podium. Barguil polka dots. Poor Roman. Sagan green but Groenwegen more stage wins.
I'll definitely leave Flobikes as an option in the early season next year. I'll watch the Tour on NBCSN. I'll have to get used to the commercials (as I do each year) but I watch the race after work so fast forward it is.

I have no clue who will win. I'd like to see Nibali as his age is becoming a limiting factor (probably).
As much as I like Sagan I hope Ewan gets green (I know he won't). Or at least pips Sagan a few times.
Old 07-11-19, 01:31 AM
tungsten

Bikes: 1962 Cinelli Mod. "B" / 1988 Bailey 531c /2 - '92 Rocky Vertexs' / Obed Baseline / Transition Scout/ Raleigh Willard

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 104 Post(s)
Liked 66 Times in 41 Posts
Sportsnet? Went to Flobikes Tour wasn't listed on their calender for Cdn viewing? I missing......
Old 07-11-19, 07:18 AM
OBoile

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1027 Post(s)
Liked 325 Times in 204 Posts
Originally Posted by tungsten
Sportsnet? Went to Flobikes Tour wasn't listed on their calender for Cdn viewing? I missing......
flobikes is next year.
Old 07-11-19, 10:44 PM
tungsten

Bikes: 1962 Cinelli Mod. "B" / 1988 Bailey 531c /2 - '92 Rocky Vertexs' / Obed Baseline / Transition Scout/ Raleigh Willard

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 104 Post(s)
Liked 66 Times in 41 Posts
So......this year I'm chopped liver?
\
HELLO CANADIANS HOW ARE YOU WATCHING THE TOUR?!
Old 07-12-19, 10:53 AM
OBoile

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1027 Post(s)
Liked 325 Times in 204 Posts
Originally Posted by tungsten
So......this year I'm chopped liver?
\
HELLO CANADIANS HOW ARE YOU WATCHING THE TOUR?!
Sportsnet has it on both live and replay. snnow.ca allows you to stream it. It's free if you have cable, if not, you can get one month for $20. You can watch live, or on demand.