Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Advocacy & Safety
Reload this Page >

traffic calming squeeze play

Notices
Advocacy & Safety Cyclists should expect and demand safe accommodation on every public road, just as do all other users. Discuss your bicycle advocacy and safety concerns here.

Old 07-19-19, 08:32 AM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5222 Post(s)
Liked 3,576 Times in 2,340 Posts

always gotta keep an eye out for these, right? meaning if we're enjoying the free shoulder on the right the sidewalk bump-out, combined with the plastic warning sign forces us & passing traffic into a smaller width travel area! we have to move left into the travel lane & the passing car can no longer provide courtesy room by putting a wheel over the double yellow line ;-( ... good for pedestrians maybe, but not so good for us?

from these tracks it looks like the street sweeper had been by recently

Old 07-19-19, 08:44 AM
Paul Barnard
For The Fun of It

Bikes: Lynskey GR300, Lynskey Backroad, Litespeed T6, Lynskey MT29, Burley Duet

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 2134 Post(s)
Liked 1,643 Times in 825 Posts
Not much of a concern for me. Looks like a low traffic suburban street. I'll check behind me for traffic prior to arrival. If it's clear, I'll go. If it's not I'll wait.
Likes For Paul Barnard:
Old 07-19-19, 08:50 AM
bikecrate

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 623 Post(s)
Liked 397 Times in 226 Posts
Looks like cycling traffic will be calmed too. There are a few streets here that have them. Not a big deal if you know they are there and adjust your speed to flow with the traffic. Also, those plastic pedestrian warning signs mostly get mowed down here until they are just shards of yellow plastic.
Old 07-19-19, 07:57 PM
jimincalif

Bikes: '96 Trek 850, '08 Specialized Roubaix Comp, '18 Niner RLT RDO

Mentioned: 56 Post(s)
Quoted: 569 Post(s)
Liked 123 Times in 83 Posts
This is the worst I’ve seen. Saddleback Ranch Rd in Lake Forest, CA:

Old 07-19-19, 08:14 PM
UniChris

Bikes: 36" Unicycle, winter knock-around hybrid bike

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 930 Post(s)
Liked 393 Times in 282 Posts
A contrasting design can put a pedestrian crossing (or bus boarding) island outboard of something like a parking protected bike lane.

Then in effect we get our own channel through the bump-out.

The question though, is if the pedestrians realize that the bike channel is itself a "mini street" not to be entered without looking.
Old 07-19-19, 09:28 PM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Coming home this afternoon I took the lane at that spot - the auto behind me was not entirely happy about it - no pedestrians in sight
Old 07-19-19, 09:57 PM
Paul Barnard
For The Fun of It

Bikes: Lynskey GR300, Lynskey Backroad, Litespeed T6, Lynskey MT29, Burley Duet

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 2134 Post(s)
Liked 1,643 Times in 825 Posts
Originally Posted by rumrunn6
Coming home this afternoon I took the lane at that spot - the auto behind me was not entirely happy about it - no pedestrians in sight
It's going to happen from time to time that motorists don't like, agree with or understand our strategies. No big deal. When I am coming to a place where I will have to move into a lane I try to visualize who wold clear the choke point most quickly. If I think it's me I take the lane. If I think it'll be the car, I let them have it. If it's a string of cars, a number of factors come into play.
Old 07-20-19, 07:01 AM
rumrunn6

Yup we have to know they’re there, know their speed relative to us & the target zone, & need to know how many of them there are. yesterday I was way ahead but not moving as quickly as the car which had just cleared town center & was likely looking for a clear path to pass. unfortunately for him, I was in control & that pisses cars off but there was no way I was riding in the door zone as I approached & since he was well behind, there was no way I was gonna stop, pull over & bow down. which is what some ppl think should happen, not saying you, just some drivers

instead of "calming" traffic I think it has an opposite effect

as I approached the squeeze

after the squeeze, it was still not a great place to pass, but the driver (that was behind me) grew impatient & went full-on into the opposing lane. I think I did the right thing, & if the driver was sure of everyone's safety, I guess his pass was correct. don't think I would have done the same as him if I was behind the wheel, tho. but this stretch thru Concord center can be tricky. I have another clip of other traffic thru this town center leading up to this. a 70 yr old bike was killed as he was coming in the same direction a cpl years ago (before entering town by the cemetery I think). & I try to remind myself not the get squeezed & potentially hurt

I wonder what the driver of the green p/u was thinking as he tried to pass me, but then saw the other 3 bikes turning left. all depends on the individual I suppose

maybe I'm not handling this ride thru town the best way I can ...?

Last edited by rumrunn6; 07-22-19 at 09:32 AM.
Old 08-03-19, 11:57 AM
conspiratemus1
Used to be Conspiratemus

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 297 Post(s)
Liked 245 Times in 163 Posts
That's why they're called traffic-calming devices, instead of, say, traffic-enraging devices. The soon-to-be mowed-down plastic pedestrian sign is further evidence of the calming effect they have on motorists.
In one of the other photos, it looks as if the cyclist himself is supposed to be the traffic-calming device. Good luck with that.
Some of this is just NIMBYism: displace the angry traffic into someone else's neighbourhood. It's not really about cyclists.

Or, "we must do everything we can to make our streets safer for our children. ... Just don't ask us to slow down."

Last edited by conspiratemus1; 08-03-19 at 12:00 PM.
Old 08-03-19, 01:09 PM
trailangel

Bikes: Schwinn Varsity

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1931 Post(s)
Liked 742 Times in 422 Posts
We've got these in some of our cities around LA. Really stupid if you are asking my opinion. If you are not asking for opinion then I am giving it freely to you. Really stupid. They all have tire tread marks all over them.
Ask me what I think about them?
Old 08-03-19, 02:27 PM
bobwysiwyg

Bikes: Mongoose Selous, Trek DS

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 941 Post(s)
Liked 319 Times in 189 Posts
Originally Posted by Paul Barnard
Not much of a concern for me. Looks like a low traffic suburban street. I'll check behind me for traffic prior to arrival. If it's clear, I'll go. If it's not I'll wait.
common around here, use the same approach, no biggie. Vehicular traffic is frequently unkind to pedestrians. This helps them.
Old 08-03-19, 06:07 PM
Daniel4

Bikes: Sekine 1979 ten speed racer

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1480 Post(s)
Liked 639 Times in 437 Posts
I wonder what the driver of the green p/u was thinking as he tried to pass me, but then saw the other 3 bikes turning left. all depends on the individual I suppose

https://youtu.be/GWjpepJYeqc

maybe I'm not handling this ride thru town the best way I can ...?
I see a lot of cars just rolling through stop signs.

But other than that, there doesn't seem to be anything else out of the ordinary.