Notices
Pills and Ills This is a discussion subforum for the health challenges faced by riders 50+. These discussions are in no way to be considered professional medical advice.

Back braces

Old 06-27-19, 08:44 PM
Ruthless

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Back braces

Anyone use a back brace?
Old 06-28-19, 12:44 AM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 4559 Post(s)
Liked 2,798 Times in 1,798 Posts
Tried 'em. The compression can feel good. And they're handy for holding ice and heat packs. But otherwise they do little or nothing, far short of the hype and claims by vendors who are mostly fleecing Medicare/Medicaid.

As an OSHA safety inspector years ago we used to see employees wearing back belts. Made no difference to us, OSHA didn't recognize them as legitimate safety equipment because NIOSH and other studies showed no benefits.

There are some custom braces that, like neck braces, can provide needed support after some types of surgery, or folks with serious spinal problems. But we can't buy those from Walgreens or through those late night TV Medicare/Medicaid hustlers.
Old 06-28-19, 09:36 PM
Ruthless

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Back brace

Originally Posted by canklecat
Tried 'em. The compression can feel good. And they're handy for holding ice and heat packs. But otherwise they do little or nothing, far short of the hype and claims by vendors who are mostly fleecing Medicare/Medicaid.

As an OSHA safety inspector years ago we used to see employees wearing back belts. Made no difference to us, OSHA didn't recognize them as legitimate safety equipment because NIOSH and other studies showed no benefits.

There are some custom braces that, like neck braces, can provide needed support after some types of surgery, or folks with serious spinal problems. But we can't buy those from Walgreens or through those late night TV Medicare/Medicaid hustlers.
Your were osha's, i was a bsmt. In the lab I worked for didn't care one way or the other if we chose to wear braces. Just as long as it didn't interfere with our work. There is actually a place in town here that will make the braces with a prescription. I've got an over the counter brace that's good but I worry about it creeping up to much.
Old 06-28-19, 09:37 PM
Ruthless

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Back brace

Originally Posted by canklecat

Your were osha's, i was a bsmt. In the lab I worked for didn't care one way or the other if we chose to wear braces. Just as long as it didn't interfere with our work. There is actually a place in town here that will make the braces with a prescription. I've got an over the counter brace that's good but I worry about it creeping up to much.
Old 06-28-19, 10:18 PM
zandoval 

Bikes: Univega, Peu P6, Peu PR-10, Ted Williams, Peu UO-8, Peu UO-18 Mixte, Peu Dolomites

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 929 Post(s)
Liked 1,595 Times in 1,021 Posts
Most nights and days but not by choice...

My back brace, recliner, and massage chair all keep me off the drugs... But that's me.

The most effective back brace I have seen is just a the old wide leather weight belt with the big or multi buckle in front.

First you gotta find one (very hard). Then you soak the leather belt in a tub of hot water for 24 hours. Then you put it on tight and wear it around the house standing up and walking. After a few hours gently take it off without bending it and set it out in the sun to dry. After its dry oil it up and finish braking it in...

It will last you for years.

Also... I've never been able to effectively ride with any of my braces on.
Old 06-29-19, 01:15 AM
Ruthless

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Back braces

Originally Posted by zandoval
Most nights and days but not by choice...

My back brace, recliner, and massage chair all keep me off the drugs... But that's me.

The most effective back brace I have seen is just a the old wide leather weight belt with the big or multi buckle in front.

First you gotta find one (very hard). Then you soak the leather belt in a tub of hot water for 24 hours. Then you put it on tight and wear it around the house standing up and walking. After a few hours gently take it off without bending it and set it out in the sun to dry. After its dry oil it up and finish braking it in...

It will last you for years.

Also... I've never been able to effectively ride with any of my braces on.
I'll let you know if I find anything.
Old 06-29-19, 01:29 PM
delbiker1 
Mother Nature's Son

Bikes: 2014 Orbea Avant MD30, 2004 Airborne Zeppelin TI, 2003 Lemond Poprad, 2001 Lemond Tourmalet, 2014? Soma Smoothie

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 838 Post(s)
Liked 1,414 Times in 801 Posts
I have used braces in both the lumbar and cervical areas. However, that was during recovery after surgeries. My orthopedic surgeon and the physical the****** wanted me to stop using the braces when they gave me releases from their care. They both said it does not help most people and can actually be a detriment if using them long term. It worked for me. Four spinal surgeries in 8 years, including mechanical disc at L5-S1 and fusion at C5-C6. I am still riding a road bike and have really increased the mileage the past few years. I do make concessions with the set up to minimize the stress on my spine and shoulders.
Old 06-29-19, 02:18 PM
CliffordK

Mentioned: 217 Post(s)
Quoted: 18320 Post(s)
Liked 4,489 Times in 3,338 Posts
Are you having back issues?

My back has gotten much better over the last few years. Making two primary changes. Lots more riding my bike, and oddly sleeping on my side in a recliner. I'm still not quite sure what that does, but perhaps is forcing me into a certain position, and keeping me off of the stomach.

The back isn't perfect, but it is better.

Of course, as with knees, there can be multiple back issues, and what works for one person may not even be related to the next person's issues.
Old 06-30-19, 02:34 PM
zandoval 

Bikes: Univega, Peu P6, Peu PR-10, Ted Williams, Peu UO-8, Peu UO-18 Mixte, Peu Dolomites

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 929 Post(s)
Liked 1,595 Times in 1,021 Posts
Originally Posted by Ruthless
I'll let you know if I find anything.
BOY...! There's nothing like putting on the MOJO when you write something about back braces. That same day I wrote I did not use back braces when riding I had to put one on for a ride. But it was for my umbilical hernia not so much my back. If your not ridiing in hot weather you can try the elastic stretchable back supports with stays. Don't spend allot of money on them.

OK... We make do as we can. The thing is... We Ride!
So next time you see a Geezer puffing his way down the road at a crawl try to remember he's most likely more beat up than he looks, even if he looks bad. And we always keep the faith that there is eventually a down hill.
Old 07-15-19, 12:24 PM
fastcarbon

Bikes: SL6 S Works Tarmac, 7 series Trek Madone, Saris Hammer Smart Trainer, Eddie Merckx, Ciocc, Trek 5900, DeRosa, Peugot, Diverge Gravel

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked 55 Times in 32 Posts
Back Braces

I rode with them off and on for a few years but finally pretty much solved the back problems with a microdisectomy and a few years later a multiple level Lumbar Fusion. At 77 I still cycle well but found the sections I used to think were flat on A Group rides were really 2 and 3% grades. About age 65 I started getting dropped when the group went over 25 - 30 mph on these grades. Needless to say I found B Group rides still keep me going.
Old 07-21-19, 09:17 PM
Carbonfiberboy 
just another gosling

Bikes: CoMo Speedster 2003, Trek 5200, CAAD 9, Fred 2004

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Quoted: 3873 Post(s)
Liked 1,920 Times in 1,369 Posts
My bike is the best doctor I ever had. The more I ride, the better my back feels. I have a fairly aggressive position, about 10 cm drop, and that's a necessary and good thing for the back. Too upright is punishing on it. I've also done strength work at my gym about 8 months/year since 1978, doing whole body work with a particular focus on back work. That's been very helpful over the decades.

IMO back braces weaken the back and pave the way for more problems as we age.