Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Lack of motivation.

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Lack of motivation.

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-19, 12:49 PM
sjanzeir
BF's Resident Dumbass

Bikes: 1990 Raleigh Flyer (size 21"); 2014 Trek 7.6 FX (size 15"); 2014 Trek 7.6 FX (size 17.5"); 2019 Dahon Mu D9; 2020 Dahon Hemingway D9

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 792 Post(s)
Liked 1,494 Times in 496 Posts
Lack of motivation.

So, I just wanted to put this out there and see what everyone else deals with it.

I really do want to go out and ride, but then, just as I'm about to get bring myself to get off my ass, I stop short. I really don't want to get dressed. I really don't want to pump up my tires. I really don't want to carry the bike down the two flights of stairs. I really don't want to fiddle with my helmet, the GPS app on the phone, or the action cam.

The voice(s) in my head start yelling all kinds of excuses into my ears: "You just started a new job! What if you get hurt crashing?" "You're going to get run over, doofus! Stay home." "What if this POS bike of yours breaks down? Do you really want to spend money on a taxi cab?" "What if your wife trips and falls and hurts herself while you're out somewhere?"

And it goes on and on, sometimes for days on end.

And yes, I know that I might be having some mental health issues (anxiety? Paranoia? Probably a whole lot more that I don't even know about!) And no, I can't afford to see a shrink right now.

Last edited by sjanzeir; 08-02-19 at 02:09 PM.
Old 08-02-19, 12:59 PM
shrimp123

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked 26 Times in 17 Posts
here are the multi choice question based on your thread.... pick wisely.

1. Do you want to ride
- dressed?
- undressed?

2. do you want to ride
- with air in your tire/tube?
- with no air in your tire/tube?

3. do you want to ride after
- you carry the bike down on your left shoulder?
- you carry the bike in your armpit?

4. do you want to ride with
- helmet in last known clasp?
- helmet re-adjusted?

5. do you want to ride
- with gps log?
- without gps log?

6. do you want to ride
- carefully and not crash?
- at max FTP and not crash?
- at 70% FTP and not crash?
- two of above?

7. do you want to ride
- to help your new job performance?
- to help refresh from your new job stress?

after you have carefully answered all the questions, please check what is common to all the above and follow your heart.

the one thing that helps me more than the above questions is the choice of cafe where i pick my coffee and biscotti.

Last edited by shrimp123; 08-02-19 at 01:05 PM.
Old 08-02-19, 01:23 PM
CliffordK

Mentioned: 217 Post(s)
Quoted: 18369 Post(s)
Liked 4,507 Times in 3,350 Posts
I only pump up the tires once a month or so. Perhaps once every couple of months. You can get your bike "ready" a few days in advance if that helps.

For me, I'm an avid bike commuter/utility cyclist.

I don't get out every day, but when I want to go somewhere, I take the bike.

And, there are days I plan to go out, and go the next instead.

My radius of how far I'll go by bike is pretty large. I've done about 200 miles a couple of times, either as a round-trip ride, or up one day, back a few days later.

And, to get to a "car-free" ride at the local national park, I did 1 1/2 days up, and 2 days back.
Old 08-02-19, 01:32 PM
TimothyH
- Soli Deo Gloria -

Bikes: 2018 Rodriguez Custom Fixed Gear, 2017 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2015 Bianchi Pista, 2002 Fuji Robaix

Mentioned: 235 Post(s)
Quoted: 6844 Post(s)
Liked 736 Times in 469 Posts
It helps me to live a balanced life - physical, spiritual, intellectual.

Read a book. Pray. Take a class. Volunteer. Work on a car.
Cycling is recreation. The word recreation literally means re-creation. It is something I do for myself only, with no other responsibilities while I do it. Sometimes I do stuff for others. Sometimes I learn or teach.

One can't be all physical and neglect the others. Physical exercise becomes drudgery when that's all I do.

-Tim-
Likes For TimothyH:
Old 08-02-19, 01:47 PM
Bryan C. 
nothing to see here

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 218 Post(s)
Liked 145 Times in 78 Posts
This is something I have been battling all year. It's hard to stay motivated and any excuse not to ride seems legitimate when you are feeling down.

One thing I try is to get back to riding some of my favorite or usual routes. Sometimes it's the little things that make the ride enjoyable, like a nice sunset or a great view. You can also change up your routine a bit and see what happens.

One way to get your interest back is to buy a new bike or some sort of upgrade. But that is a slippery slope for sure.
Old 08-02-19, 02:01 PM
mynewnchome

Bikes: Cannondale CAAD8 Raleigh Revenio 1.0

Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked 30 Times in 13 Posts
This usually goes away2 minutes after beginning to pedal
Old 08-02-19, 02:02 PM
I-Like-To-Bike
Been Around Awhile

Bikes: Vaterland and Ragazzi

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 1,532 Times in 1,043 Posts
Originally Posted by sjanzeir
So, I just wanted to put this out there and see what everyone else deals with it.

I really do want to go out and ride, but then, just as I'm about to get bring myself to get off my ass, I stop short. I really don't want to get dressed. I really don't want to pump up my tires. I really don't want to carry the bike down the two flights of stairs. I really don't want to fiddle with my helmet, the GPS app on the phone, or the action cam.

The voice(s) in my head start yelling all kinds of excuses into my ears: "You just started a new job! What if you get hurt crashing?" "You're going to get run over, doofus! Stay home." "What if this POS bike of yours breaks down? Do you really want to spend money on a taxi cab?" "What if your wife trips and falls and hurts herself while you're out somewhere?"

And yes, I know that I might have some mental health issues (anxiety? Paranoia? Probably a whole lot more that I don't even know about!) And no, I can't afford to see a shrink right now.
I think you already know the reason, but as you have stated, are not prepared or ready to deal with it. It is unlikely you will find an answer here other than a pep talk or two. Maybe that will help.
Old 08-02-19, 02:38 PM
RiceAWay

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 325 Post(s)
Liked 112 Times in 81 Posts
Try a bike club. This is usually a motivator. If your monthly gas bill is high and your commute isn't that far that is another motivator. With the way things are these days you can't have a large enough emergency/retirement fund.
Old 08-02-19, 02:49 PM
HarborBandS
HarborBandS

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 266 Post(s)
Liked 104 Times in 57 Posts
I find it's easier to get out on the bike regularly if I set a goal, like training for a century or other long ride. Sure, many can crank out a century without training, but it's a lot more enjoyable if you have laid down some serious miles ahead of time. You can easily get in to trouble if you're not in shape, and that is a motivator--especially if you are going with other experienced cyclists and you don't want to be the weakest one in the group.

And I get depressed when I don't get out on my bike for a while. I am primarily a solo cyclist, and a relish the quiet time without electronic devices or noise.
Old 08-02-19, 03:11 PM
bugs11

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
Think of the carrot at the end of the stick. The fresh brewed hazy IPA and free popcorn at the trendy bar 30 miles away.

One of the reasons I work out is for the 5-10 minutes of glorious sweaty respite in the steam room afterwards. I love a good steam, sweat out all the toxins.
Old 08-02-19, 03:36 PM
Last ride 76 
1/2 as far in 2x the time

Bikes: Yes, Please.

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 499 Post(s)
Liked 285 Times in 222 Posts
Originally Posted by mynewnchome

+1... Battling depression, one thing that helps for me is "idiot-proofing" my ride (wrong term, with negative connotations, no surprise there).

Simplifying everything I can.

1) having my gear ready to go. - If I can't find some piece of kit... screw it, I'm old, slow, and no-one besides me gives a... on with the tee, and out the door. Last week I rode 15 miles in sneakers, something I would have never considered even a year ago. Just to get myself out the door. (Studies show most of the power is in the downstroke, ha ha.)

2) having a bike ready to go. - I may be planning to ride a particular bike, but if it ain't ready and seems like too much to deal with, OR becomes too much to deal with, screw it take the back-up.

3) Cycling computer, phone. - Yesterday I spent time getting hr monitor, computer mounted on the right bike, had 10% battery, check, died the moment I got outside. Ride or no ride... I'm on the bike, but even so, a day without the stats, big whoop. Can I do without the phone for a while? Eddy did... I can too.

Etc. You get my drift. I am riding 4-6 times per week rather than 1-3 earlier this year.

I just realized I forgot to charge the computer. ADHD has it's drawbacks. Time to go for a ride, without the dang thing again as if that really matters.

Seriously, (to myself) ...Just get out the door.

Last edited by Last ride 76; 08-02-19 at 03:44 PM.
Old 08-02-19, 03:40 PM
TiHabanero

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1744 Post(s)
Liked 1,370 Times in 719 Posts
As I have said to others, "Can you afford not to get help?" I have known several people over the years that needed counseling, but refused to do it and are no longer able to do it. Get counseling asap. Many, if not all, counselors offer a sliding scale fee based on income. There are some that offer their services pro-bono based on income. If this is a ruse, shame on you as a person's health is nothing to poke fun of.
Likes For TiHabanero:
Old 08-02-19, 03:55 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,098 Times in 5,054 Posts
If it helps you get fired up, you and I could get into a heated pointless argument about a noisemaker.

Seriously, you sound depressed, and it's a pretty scary place to be. I hope you get whatever help you need or just get better, but if you find yourself overwhelmed, please don't try to just tough it out. I've lost loved ones to that, and it really sucks. From your last sentences, it sounds like this is about a lot more than riding or not riding your bike.
Likes For livedarklions:
Old 08-02-19, 04:42 PM
CAT7RDR

Bikes: 1999 Schwinn Peloton Ultegra 10, Kestrel RT-1000 Ultegra, Trek Marlin 6 Deore 29'er

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 822 Post(s)
Liked 1,960 Times in 943 Posts
It sounds like the "What If's?" are self-condemning. Perhaps, you can write out responses for all the benefits you get from cycling and refute the "What if's" with more rational responses.

Thoughts create feelings, which create moods, that create actions or inactivity.

You might check out Dr. David Burns's self-help books. I have found the exercises do work.
Old 08-02-19, 11:19 PM
DrDyno

Bikes: 2007 Quiring Ti + 2014 Focus Izalco + 2009 Dynamic Synergy + 80's Bottecchia w/105 Crank Set + 2010 Jamis Commuter-4 + 1999 GT Slipstream Hybrid

Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 10 Posts
I blame it entirely on your bike! Get a new one!! Make it light weight and fancy!!!
Old 08-03-19, 12:23 AM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 4559 Post(s)
Liked 2,802 Times in 1,800 Posts
That's why one of my bikes is a comfort hybrid with fat puncture resistant tires and tubes. No need to suit up for a ride. No need to check the tire pressure -- I just squeeze the tire. If it feels okay, I ride. Usually I take it for a spin around the block and to pick up a few things from the grocery store. So a casual ride might be only 15 minutes, but enough to get the blood flowing and wake up a sluggish body.

And when I don't feel like worrying about traffic or the summer heat, I'll take a short, easy ride after midnight. It's relaxing and helps me get back to sleep easily. I did that two nights in a row this week after midnight, a couple of 15 mile rides around my familiar routes at an easy pace, and slept soundly.

But, yeah, I understand the whole deal of needing to suit up, install the cameras and lights, etc. I've been wearing a Tickr heart monitor for a couple of months and noticed that when I'm prepping for a ride on my road bikes, my heart rate shoots up from 60 to the 80s or 90s. All I'm doing is moving around the apartment, getting ready to ride. But when I do the same for riding my hybrids my resting heart rate stays lower.

There's a whole psychological aspect to my road bikes that gins up my competitive nature and stress levels. I can't just relax and ride. Every road bike ride turns into a workout. I can't resist the urge to post a better time on Strava. So while I need that once in awhile, it's not the best approach for a relaxing ride. That's why I like my hybrids.
Likes For canklecat:
Old 08-03-19, 01:26 AM
dahoneezz

Quoted: 163 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 10 Posts
Are you commuting daily to work on your bike? Maybe take a rest day. Get a taxi/Uber instead. Or change the time you leave your house. Go earlier in the morning when the sun is about to rise and there is less traffic. Change your route. Leave the camera/helmet home once a while. Wear casual (jeans tees). Just ride.
Old 08-03-19, 04:30 AM
rseeker

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 318 Post(s)
Liked 149 Times in 104 Posts
Sometimes it's hard work to plan a whole ride, so don't. Just plan to go to the end of the street. And once you're there, if you want to do more, well heck, you're already on the bike, may as well.

Is the computer/smart phone the problem? Those things are addictive. So don't get ready to ride, just go outside and lay down on the sidewalk/driveway. Listen and look around. When you feel like getting up, do so with a push-up, and then you're already exercising. May as well make it official and ride.

Do you have other things to attend to? Write them down, make a list, tape it to the screen, and come back to them when you get back.

Don't plan to ride -- just get your shoes out and put them in the hall.

Don't plan to ride -- just get a water bottle and set it by the sink.

Don't plan to ride -- just go stand by the bike and lay a hand on the seat. Squeeze a tire if you feel like.

Don't make it so you have to swallow the whole apple in one big bite. Just take a little bite, and maybe you'll want to keep eating.

My head also fills up with that kind of noise when I'm delaying action. The cure is always action, but it's a catch-22 because the cure is the very thing I'm having trouble doing. Once I actually get in motion, all that clears away and I can't see what was so hard. It's like becoming a different person.

I hope you can find some leverage so the part of you that wants to get out and engage overcomes the part filling your head with noise.
Old 08-03-19, 05:29 AM
bruce19

Bikes: CAAD 12, MASI Gran Criterium S, Colnago World Cup CX & Guru steel

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1743 Post(s)
Liked 1,281 Times in 740 Posts
I go through this from time to time. I've come to the point where, as I ask myself "Do you really want to ride today?", my next thought is "That's not a valid question." Then I go put my kit on and pump up the tires. You have to stop being "in your head" and look around at the present moment.
Old 08-03-19, 06:02 AM
Jim from Boston

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 800 Post(s)
Liked 218 Times in 171 Posts
Lack of motivation.
Originally Posted by sjanzeir

The voice(s) in my head start yelling all kinds of excuses into my ears:…

And yes, I know that I might be having some mental health issues (anxiety? Paranoia? Probably a whole lot more that I don't even know about!) And no, I can't afford to see a shrink right now.
The topic of motivation occurs frequently on Bike Forums. FWIW, as a decades-long, lifestyle cyclist, this is a compilation of replies to this comprehensive thread, “How do you find your motivation to ride?”
Originally Posted by Jim from Boston
To get me out on the road, particularly since I cycle-commute as one alternative to get to work, I’m mindful of these two taglines:
Originally Posted by SammyJ
I have NEVER regretted going on a ride;I have often regretted not going when I could have!
Originally Posted by chasm54
There have been many days when I haven't felt like riding, but there has never been a day when I was sorry I rode.
Another disaffection, as noted above may just be boredom, and my remedy is:
I'm very motivated by novelty, and stymied by boredom on a bike, but I do have the motivation of commuting to work. I have found that when I drive my frequent, decades-old routes I often notice things I had not seen before. I think it’s because I can look around at more than just the road surface when driving.

So when the commute [route] is getting too familiar, I just raise my head higher and look over a wider field of view….
A local BF subscriber @rholland1951 who contributes hundreds of photographs to the local Metro Boston thread from the same 11-mile long MUP he rides, once commented something like that "just the lighting / time of day / day of the year makes the ride “different.”

So too does the direction, one way, or the reverse.
Originally Posted by Machka
I've never lost my motivation to ride.

I've been injured or incapacitated in some way a few times so that I've not been able to cycle. But I've always been motivated.

It does help to have goals ... like the local century, several brevets, a CAM challenge, etc
Originally Posted by jim from boston
i have previously posted to this thread, why didn’t i ride
Originally Posted by jim from boston
my job; either too much to do, so i stay (comfortably) overnight and resume very early in the am, missing my commute; or have to travel afar for a meeting...and to a lesser extent, family activities. …

having a mileage-based training schedule however, effectively motivates me to make time to ride. I have the opportunity to commute a minimal 14 miles one-way during the week (commuter rail home), and round-trip on saturday all year-round, for about 100 miles a week.

During the nice weather, i’d like to put in about 150-200 miles to train and do long rides.

in reality though, i probably get in about 20-30 miles per week during the winter, and maybe about 75-100 during the nice weather (to include early evening rides).
Ever contemplate your mortality on the road?

Actually, in one of my most serious contemplations of mortality, the Road served as a relief:
My magic moment when I realized what makes cycling fun (important) to me was at a lunch with two doctors about 20 years ago. We got to talking about the vicissitudes of life, like sudden death, or trival symptoms as harbingers of a serious disease. We eventually came around to that old chestnut to live life to the fullest everyday.

As we were leaving, the surgeon, a marathon runner, said, “Well, any day with a run in it is a good day for me.” I was already an avid cyclist and cycle commuter, and that clicked with me, any day with a ride in it is a good day for me.
Old 08-03-19, 07:05 AM
BobbyG

Bikes: 2015 Charge Plug, 2007 Dahon Boardwalk, 1997 Nishiki Blazer, 1984 Nishiki International, 2006 Felt F65, 1989 Dahon Getaway V

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 1364 Post(s)
Liked 1,677 Times in 827 Posts
@sjanzeir When I find myself in your situation I sometimes just get out and WALK. I get some of the excercise, some of the endorphins, and all of the head-clearing of a ride. Walking alleviates the guilt of not riding, and also provides some sense of accomplishment.

Another motivator for me is watching ride videos, both mine and others. They usually spark something in my mind and body. And sometimes just reading about bikes, and BF is enough to motivate me.

You also live in a pretty amazing city...go explore.
Likes For BobbyG:
Old 08-03-19, 08:16 AM
FiftySix
I'm the anecdote.

Bikes: '12 Schwinn, '13 Norco

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 1110 Post(s)
Liked 1,176 Times in 795 Posts
Originally Posted by TimothyH
Physical exercise becomes drudgery when that's all I do.

-Tim-
Originally Posted by canklecat
That's why one of my bikes is a comfort hybrid with fat puncture resistant tires and tubes. No need to suit up for a ride. No need to check the tire pressure -- I just squeeze the tire. If it feels okay, I ride. Usually I take it for a spin around the block and to pick up a few things from the grocery store. So a casual ride might be only 15 minutes, but enough to get the blood flowing and wake up a sluggish body.
There's a whole psychological aspect to my road bikes that gins up my competitive nature and stress levels. I can't just relax and ride. Every road bike ride turns into a workout. I can't resist the urge to post a better time on Strava. So while I need that once in awhile, it's not the best approach for a relaxing ride. That's why I like my hybrids.
Originally Posted by rseeker
Just plan to go to the end of the street. And once you're there, if you want to do more, well heck, you're already on the bike, may as well.
Agree with all of the above.

That's why I became unplugged while riding a few years ago. No cycling computer, no phone in view, I wear a simple wrist watch and just ride.

For those that do fully kit up and are semi-serious to serious about why they are riding, I bet many of them have a "non-serious" bike sitting around too. Non-serious bikes are great because you usually don't care what your ride turns into. Go fast, go slow, stop a lot, whatever you want, plus you can still turn it into a work out if you want to.
Old 08-03-19, 08:25 AM
jon c. 

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 1591 Post(s)
Liked 1,018 Times in 571 Posts
Originally Posted by mynewnchome
That's what I try to remember. Once I'm on the road I'm always happy to be there.

In fact, I need to close this laptop and get on the road.
Likes For jon c.:
Old 08-03-19, 08:38 AM
Kabuki12

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 873 Post(s)
Liked 2,279 Times in 1,276 Posts
As I am soon to be 65 , I find motivation to do things that are good for me a bit easier. I don't quite know why that is , I just go with it. I am disappointed when I can't ride. I build and maintain my own bikes so maybe that is part of it. I get up early on ride day and check all the fine adjustments while the bike is on the stand and set correct tire pressure , make my water drink , and by the time it is time to leave the house , nothing can stop me! I live in Southern California , so , we ride pretty much year round. Joe joesvintageroadbikes.wordpress
Old 08-03-19, 09:32 AM
jackb

Bikes: Trek Domane SL5, Trek Checkpoint SL5, Cannndale Trail SE 4, Specialized Langster

Quoted: 162 Post(s)
Liked 134 Times in 72 Posts
The concerns over cycling strike me as symptoms of a mild anxiety disorder. I suffer from this disorder, though it hasn't affected my cycling, but it has many other activities that I do. I take medication when I feel a bout of anxiety coming on and I see a the******. Both help. Not feeling like you want to change clothes is not anxiety. Worrying about things that could happen but most likely won't is. I think it is best to seek some sort of professional help so that you don't limit yourself in what you do.
Likes For jackb:

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.