Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

High-end summer jersey brands?

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

High-end summer jersey brands?

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-19, 11:16 PM
Seattle Forrest

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18883 Post(s)
Liked 10,646 Times in 6,054 Posts
Originally Posted by TimothyH
Nothing comes close to the Rapha Pro Team Flyweight jersey. It wicks and evaporates so fast that it actually feels cool against your skin as you perspire and ride through the air.
Have you used any Arc'teryx Phasic SL base layers? That sounds like a good description of them, plus they feel like silk. There isn't a cycling one, but for hiking or trail running, they're fantastic. Until recently I thought hot weather coughing required mesh.
Old 08-02-19, 02:41 AM
KraneXL

Bikes: Cannondale Quick SL1 Bike - 2014

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Quoted: 3405 Post(s)
Liked 240 Times in 185 Posts
Originally Posted by bruce19
Having cycled for about 40 years and having tried most kit, I can recommend without hesitation anything Assos. I will advise though that their kit tends to be race fit, aka: body paint.
I don't believe in spending a lot for cycling apparel. I just bought my first race fit jersey by RION to show off my new in shape summer body. jk

Actually, I bought it because it was on sale and just turned out to be race fit. In any event, it feels cool and fits great.
Old 08-02-19, 03:18 AM
diphthong
velo-dilettante

Bikes: 85 pinarello treviso steel, 88 nishiki olympic steel. 95 look kg 131 carbon, 11 trek madone 5.2 carbon

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 1628 Post(s)
Liked 3,114 Times in 1,683 Posts
nice to see this thread expectedly pop up again. still swear by any of the rapha lightweight/flyweight jerseys along with their merino wool underliner.
durability is pretty good. hand-washing and line-drying will prolong life as will resisting the temptation/need to crams the rear pockets completely full.

bought a danny shane lightweight jersey about 7 months ago and have worn it a few times in the 90-93 degree range on longer century rides but haven't ridden
with it on anything hotter than that. it performed well in the low 90's so i have faith. funny how climbing at 6-9 mph when it's in the high 80's-mid 90's is worse than
riding flats/rollers 14-18 mph at 100+ degrees. a hot wind is still wind but no wind is absolutely brutal.

Last edited by diphthong; 08-02-19 at 03:21 AM.
Old 08-02-19, 06:36 AM
TimothyH
- Soli Deo Gloria -

Bikes: 2018 Rodriguez Custom Fixed Gear, 2017 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2015 Bianchi Pista, 2002 Fuji Robaix

Mentioned: 235 Post(s)
Quoted: 6844 Post(s)
Liked 736 Times in 469 Posts
Originally Posted by Seattle Forrest
Have you used any Arc'teryx Phasic SL base layers? That sounds like a good description of them, plus they feel like silk. There isn't a cycling one, but for hiking or trail running, they're fantastic. Until recently I thought hot weather coughing required mesh.
Well, the word "Summer" means different things depending on where one lives. It isn't so much the heat as the sun which is formidable in the south. Some summer garments designed in England and Canada just don't cut it in The South.

With that in mind however, no, I was not aware of the Arc'teryx product and will look out for one in the stores.

-Tim-
Old 08-02-19, 06:41 AM
jadocs

Bikes: Ti, Mn Cr Ni Mo Nb, Al, C

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 942 Post(s)
Liked 527 Times in 349 Posts
Eliel - One of my favorite brands fit and quality are top notch, both jerseys and bibs
Donkey Label - Another favorite, quality, fit and materials also top notch

I just bought a couple jersey's from La Passione will have them in hand soon. They are having quite a sale so if you have ever thought about them but did not pull the trigger because of price, now is the time. I picked up two for $100.

and of course I like Rapha as well. The best way to shop is to keep an eye out in their archive sale section.
Old 08-02-19, 06:53 AM
Sy Reene
Advocatus Diaboli

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene, Nashbar steel CX

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4733 Post(s)
Liked 1,532 Times in 1,003 Posts
I'll bite.

I'm in North Georgia.

Nothing comes close to the Rapha Pro Team Flyweight jersey. It wicks and evaporates so fast that it actually feels cool against your skin as you perspire and ride through the air. The downside is that the fabric is light so the pockets lack structure and can't really be stuffed full of junk for an all day ride. The zipper is a little bit delicate but not as bad as some.

I've also purchased the Chapter III 1.25 Forbici jersey. It was on clearance at Sigma Sports for $89 so I snatched on. I love the fit - right between club and race cut. Not too tight but not loose at all. The zippers are metal and substantial. The fabric is really nice against the skin and the collar is higher than some lightweight jerseys which helps keep the Georgia sun off the neck a little. I love wearing this and reach for it most often.

The Castelli Free AR 4.1 is another nice piece. I got this because it was on sale and looked half way decent but it has worked out very well. Zippers, like the Chapter III, are metal and don't feel like they are going to break. Fit is articulated ike Assos, a little weird when first put on but nice when on the bike.

All three have zippered security pockets and are always worn with a Craft or Castelli summer base layer.

I didn't like the Le Col HC and some others which are really tight and have almost a V neck.

-Tim-
Nice rundown.. Couple questions or clarifications though please? You wear them all with a base layer, but also mention how they feel on the skin?

I'd also be curious, with or without the baselayer, how do you think these perform for UV protection? Would I have to slather my whole torso with sunscreen before using any of these? Of course a base layer might offer some minor addt'l protection though.
Old 08-02-19, 07:30 AM
WhyFi

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 354 Post(s)
Quoted: 20810 Post(s)
Liked 9,456 Times in 4,672 Posts
Nothing comes close to the Rapha Pro Team Flyweight jersey. It wicks and evaporates so fast that it actually feels cool against your skin as you perspire and ride through the air. The downside is that the fabric is light so the pockets lack structure and can't really be stuffed full of junk for an all day ride. The zipper is a little bit delicate but not as bad as some.

-Tim-
How is this in terms of sheerness, from both modesty and UV standpoints? Are base layers necessary for either/both?

Originally Posted by jadocs
Donkey Label - Another favorite, quality, fit and materials also top notch
It's funny - they're *very* local to me but I didn't know about them until a couple months ago, when one of the group ride regulars started sporting their kit (not sure if he's sponsored). Really good looking stuff that'll be on the short list the next time I need something.

Another one that's local to me, and that I'd really like to try, is PodiumWear. I wish that they offered some off-the-shelf stuff, but it's primarily custom orders. An LBS has some shop kit made by them, but... eh. Maybe the club can put together an order with them for our next kit.
Old 08-02-19, 07:54 AM
jadocs

Bikes: Ti, Mn Cr Ni Mo Nb, Al, C

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 942 Post(s)
Liked 527 Times in 349 Posts
Originally Posted by WhyFi
It's funny - they're *very* local to me but I didn't know about them until a couple months ago, when one of the group ride regulars started sporting their kit (not sure if he's sponsored). Really good looking stuff that'll be on the short list the next time I need something.
The Team Cross Jersey is actually one of my favorites. Lots of attention to detail, even around the collar, it's reinforced to stay in shape.
Likes For jadocs:
Old 08-02-19, 08:25 AM
NoWhammies

Bikes: Argon 18 Gallium, BH G7, Rocky Mountain Instinct C70

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 800 Post(s)
Liked 512 Times in 306 Posts
I have one 7 Mesh jersey that was given to me as a birthday present. I didn't like the fit or the material of the jersey at first, but after a couple of wears the jersey has grown on me. In hot weather the jersey seems to do a good job of wicking away sweat yet in windy conditions (such as on long descents) the jersey seems to be wind-resistant. One thing though, the jersey is what I would call a race fit. So it's definitely tight.
Old 08-02-19, 08:29 AM
elquien

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Newbie here. Can someone explain why in hot humid weather one would wear a base layer? I wear an undershirt with regular clothing for appearances (sweat stains on outer shirt). During extraneous exercise, it seems counter-intuitive.

Thanks
Old 08-02-19, 09:24 AM
WhyFi

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 354 Post(s)
Quoted: 20810 Post(s)
Liked 9,456 Times in 4,672 Posts
Originally Posted by jadocs
The Team Cross Jersey is actually one of my favorites. Lots of attention to detail, even around the collar, it's reinforced to stay in shape.
So I just looked at their online shop and I see that the double-cross (which is one of the good-lookin' jerseys that the group ride fellow often sports) is on sale for $70. So tempted.
Likes For WhyFi:
Old 08-02-19, 09:58 AM
TimothyH
- Soli Deo Gloria -

Bikes: 2018 Rodriguez Custom Fixed Gear, 2017 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2015 Bianchi Pista, 2002 Fuji Robaix

Originally Posted by elquien
Newbie here. Can someone explain why in hot humid weather one would wear a base layer? I wear an undershirt with regular clothing for appearances (sweat stains on outer shirt). During extraneous exercise, it seems counter-intuitive.

Thanks
The idea is that an open mesh creates more surface area from which moisture can evaporate. This, in turn, provides more evaporative cooling.

Opinions on whether it works or not as well as theories on why it should or should not work are as divided as any other topic. In rare instances, those with the strongest opinion have actually tried one.

Personally, for the past three or four years, I can't remember not wearing a base layer of some kind under a jersey regardless of weather. I believe the Craft cool mesh base layers keep me cooler.

-Tim-
Old 08-02-19, 09:59 AM
TimothyH
- Soli Deo Gloria -

Originally Posted by NoWhammies
I have one 7 Mesh jersey that was given to me as a birthday present. I didn't like the fit or the material of the jersey at first, but after a couple of wears the jersey has grown on me. In hot weather the jersey seems to do a good job of wicking away sweat yet in windy conditions (such as on long descents) the jersey seems to be wind-resistant. One thing though, the jersey is what I would call a race fit. So it's definitely tight.
Which model jersey is it?

-Tim-
Old 08-02-19, 10:24 AM
Seattle Forrest

Well, the word "Summer" means different things depending on where one lives. It isn't so much the heat as the sun which is formidable in the south. Some summer garments designed in England and Canada just don't cut it in The South.

With that in mind however, no, I was not aware of the Arc'teryx product and will look out for one in the stores.

-Tim-
The base layers fit like a second skin, but the sun hoody made from the same fabric is loose and airy.

Sometimes we get this bizarre yellow thing in the sky that makes everything hot for a day or two every year. But half the state is a desert and that's where the best riding and hiking is.
Old 08-03-19, 05:42 AM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 3672 Post(s)
Liked 5,426 Times in 2,757 Posts
I like to see folks riding in nice kit. I think it's just another way to show commitment to the sport. Like sunglasses over the helmet straps, it doesn't really matter but it shows someone is paying attention. IF I can ever lose 20 pounds, I'll treat myself
Old 08-03-19, 06:33 AM
MSchott

Bikes: 2017 Specialized Roubaix Sport SL4

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 94 Post(s)
Liked 44 Times in 33 Posts
Originally Posted by shelbyfv
I like to see folks riding in nice kit. I think it's just another way to show commitment to the sport. Like sunglasses over the helmet straps, it doesn't really matter but it shows someone is paying attention. IF I can ever lose 20 pounds, I'll treat myself
Sunglasses over the helmet straps are a thing? Why?
Old 08-03-19, 06:41 AM
Shimagnolo

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 3375 Post(s)
Liked 5,513 Times in 2,856 Posts
Like sunglasses over the helmet straps, it doesn't really matter but it shows someone is paying attention.
Dumbest practice ever.
Take off your helmet, and the sunglasses going flying.
I prefer not to have my sunglasses scratched/broken.
I learned this the hard way.
Old 08-03-19, 07:01 AM
Sy Reene
Advocatus Diaboli

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene, Nashbar steel CX

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 4733 Post(s)
Liked 1,532 Times in 1,003 Posts
Originally Posted by Shimagnolo
Dumbest practice ever.
Take off your helmet, and the sunglasses going flying.
Old 08-03-19, 05:59 PM
TimothyH
- Soli Deo Gloria -

Originally Posted by Sy Reene
Nice rundown.. Couple questions or clarifications though please? You wear them all with a base layer, but also mention how they feel on the skin?

I'd also be curious, with or without the baselayer, how do you think these perform for UV protection? Would I have to slather my whole torso with sunscreen before using any of these? Of course a base layer might offer some minor addt'l protection though.

First a correction. The Chapter III Forbici has a plastic zipper. It does not feel as delicate as some Assos products however.

The Chapter III and Castelli products are mesh - not an open mesh but a closed mess, not completely perforated. Photos below. I use sunscreen and the marketing material recommends it.

The Rapha product feels the best against the skin but that's not to say the others feel bad. Rapha is gonna be Rapha and the luxurious feel is their trademark. The Chapter III is nice too. I don't notice either of these once they are on. The Castell is the least best of them, but it is still nice.

This is the Rapha Pro Team Flyweight. The waffle pattern increases surface area and speeds wicking and evaporation. It works amazingly well. I'm convinced that this is a Polartec textile but it is not labeled as such.

Backlit...

This is the Chapter III "Mesh" fabric. Castelli is the same idea but slightly different in appearance.

-Tim-
Old 08-05-19, 08:07 PM
teejaywhy

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 141 Post(s)
Liked 116 Times in 69 Posts
I like to see folks riding in nice kit. I think it's just another way to show commitment to the sport. Like sunglasses over the helmet straps, it doesn't really matter but it shows someone is paying attention...
Paying attention to what?
Old 08-05-19, 08:19 PM
Seattle Forrest

Originally Posted by Seattle Forrest
I got burnt coining this weekend, so I wore one of these and long pants for today's ride, to protect me from the sun. This is not comfortable and has better moisture management than my Castelli Climbers, which is already pretty good.
Old 08-05-19, 10:16 PM
Carbonfiberboy 
just another gosling

Bikes: CoMo Speedster 2003, Trek 5200, CAAD 9, Fred 2004

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Quoted: 3888 Post(s)
Liked 1,938 Times in 1,383 Posts
Originally Posted by elquien

Thanks
I certainly can't. I've tried them and they don't work for me, not at all. The whole idea of cooling on the bike is that one moves sweat to the surface of one's outer garment as quickly as possible and that outer garment is thin so as not to provide insulation. Obviously a base layer does not have wind blowing on it, so the moisture in it cannot evaporate until it reaches the surface of the outer layer. Thus this inner, sweat-soaked layer insulates to some extent. When I ride long distances in the rain, my inner layers are soaked, all the way to the skin. They still insulate just fine. Modern fabrics, like base layers, insulate quite well while wet.

I sweat a lot more in hot weather while wearing a base layer, which perhaps is the purpose of it for some people, but they dehydrate me very quickly. One sees riders with full-zip jerseys, riding with them flying completely unzipped, trying to get some air to that base layer. Any base layer, mesh, waffle, or whatever, holds the outer garment away from the skin and slows the movement of moisture to the surface.
Old 08-05-19, 10:23 PM
Princess_Allez

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 173 Post(s)
Liked 57 Times in 40 Posts
Originally Posted by Carbonfiberboy
I certainly can't. I've tried them and they don't work for me, not at all. The whole idea of cooling on the bike is that one moves sweat to the surface of one's outer garment as quickly as possible and that outer garment is thin so as not to provide insulation. Obviously a base layer does not have wind blowing on it, so the moisture in it cannot evaporate until it reaches the surface of the outer layer. Thus this inner, sweat-soaked layer insulates to some extent. When I ride long distances in the rain, my inner layers are soaked, all the way to the skin. They still insulate just fine. Modern fabrics, like base layers, insulate quite well while wet.

I sweat a lot more in hot weather while wearing a base layer, which perhaps is the purpose of it for some people, but they dehydrate me very quickly. One sees riders with full-zip jerseys, riding with them flying completely unzipped, trying to get some air to that base layer. Any base layer, mesh, waffle, or whatever, holds the outer garment away from the skin and slows the movement of moisture to the surface.
In theory, this makes sense. In practice, a base layer can still evaporate sweat thru a thin summer jersey, easily. I wear a compression, under armour, base layer with a Castelli Climbers jersey. When I take off the jersey, I can feel it's moist all over, especially in the sweaty areas. I never need to unzip for it to breathe. Modern synthetic fabrics are truly amazing (expensive).
Old 08-06-19, 07:50 AM
KraneXL

Bikes: Cannondale Quick SL1 Bike - 2014

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Quoted: 3405 Post(s)
Liked 240 Times in 185 Posts
Originally Posted by Princess_Allez
In theory, this makes sense. In practice, a base layer can still evaporate sweat thru a thin summer jersey, easily. I wear a compression, under armour, base layer with a Castelli Climbers jersey. When I take off the jersey, I can feel it's moist all over, especially in the sweaty areas. I never need to unzip for it to breathe. Modern synthetic fabrics are truly amazing (expensive).
They don't have to be always be expensive. In my experience, the biggest different from one to the other is the cut and stitching...sometimes. Otherwise, the fabric is virtually identical. Sort of like comparing a name brand drug to its generic cousin: 85-90% as effective for 1/2 the price.

In any event, a lot of it comes down to preference, in which case it needs no explanation or logic. Its just what some individuals prefer.

Nevertheless, as someone already mentioned, sweat mixed with lotions, creams, sunblock, antiperspirants can cause permanent stains to white or light colored garments. So in that case, it serves chiefly as a protection layer.

Base layers can also be preferred when the cover attire is more diaphanous than some of us are comfortable with. Women used to use this technique a lot back in the old days when dresses were still popular.

I use a base layer when I go for a late afternoon ride just before sundown when the temperature can drop below my comfort level before I complete the return trip home.
Old 08-06-19, 08:10 AM
ksryder

Bikes: yes

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 1281 Post(s)
Liked 643 Times in 329 Posts
I've got a couple Velocio jerseys I've used the past two summers, with and without a base layer (I'm not really convinced that base layers do anything.)

Kansas summers are very hot and extremely humid. Not as humid as the south, Tim, but still pretty oppressive. I have no complaints with the Velocio jerseys.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.