Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Mountain Biking
Reload this Page >

Trek fat tire or Quiet Kat for hunting?

Notices
Mountain Biking Mountain biking is one of the fastest growing sports in the world. Check out this forum to discuss the latest tips, tricks, gear and equipment in the world of mountain biking.

Old 08-05-19, 03:01 PM
Litehiker

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

We have a nearby Trek e-bike dealer and Quiet Kat has some owners in the 'Vegas valley as well. I've seen both.

I'm wondering if one of Trek's fat tire mountain bikes is at least the equal of a 750 watt Quiet Kat. Any tribal knowledge on either?
(I want an e-mountain bike for hunting in mountainous Nevada.)

Eric B.
Old 08-06-19, 09:07 AM
qclabrat

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 257 Post(s)
Liked 70 Times in 63 Posts
Originally Posted by Litehiker
We have a nearby Trek e-bike dealer and Quiet Kat has some owners in the 'Vegas valley as well. I've seen both.

I'm wondering if one of Trek's fat tire mountain bikes is at least the equal of a 750 watt Quiet Kat. Any tribal knowledge on either?
(I want an e-mountain bike for hunting in mountainous Nevada.)

Eric B.
I have a friend who rides the Trek, but not for hunting. I'm guessing you'll need more torque if you are hauling a deer.
My main concern with the Quiet Kat and some others in the below link are the parts. Many have no-name forks which don't look reliable.
However with a quick read the Rambo models look pretty decent. I'd ask this in a hunting site, as your ask is likely different from most here.
https://ebikegeneration.com/blogs/ne...ic-bike-brands
Old 08-06-19, 12:53 PM
Litehiker

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks qclabrat, (is that LA brat or labrat - or both?;o) I hear you on uncertain component origins for the Quiet Kat.

I'll likely go with Trek for the local service and Trek's reputation. And I may pay the $100.+ test drive fee (applicable to purchase) on a local trail to check it out with a load. When I was young (30s and 40s) I used to road race so I'm not new to cycling.

I have rear panniers (old Cannondale) and will buy smaller, Hypalon material front panniers and adapt my front rack with aircraft style hose clamps. Somehow I have to carry an expensive scoped rifle and horizontal handle bar racks don't look good - way too wide. Possibly muzzle down diagonally across my back or in a light case attached along the side of the bike. I dunno.

Eric B.
Old 08-09-19, 07:18 AM
fishboy316

Bikes: Cervelo S5, Cannondale AL1 Lefty MTB, Trek X01, Trek Farley 7,1951 Raleigh Sport, 57&60 Raleigh Tourist, 70 Raleigh Super Course, 80's Soma Prestiege,72 Raleigh Grand Sports, 85 Club Fuji, 76 Raleigh Competition, 85 Panasonic,70's Peugot u08. & more

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked 25 Times in 17 Posts
I currently own and ride a Farley7. Trek nailed the fatty! I love the bike. They have awesome traction and with the correct gearing would work great as a hunting machine. I run an Absolute Black 30T oval chainring and it turned the bike into a awesome climbing machine.

Bill
Old 08-09-19, 02:18 PM
Litehiker

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Bill,
I didn't even know an oval chainring existed so I looked up the one you used and NOW I have been enlightened on the ergonomic advantage of this shape (when properly timed with the crank arm).

Eric B.
Old 08-30-19, 10:28 AM
c_m_shooter

Bikes: Soma Pescadero, Surly Pugsley, Salsa Fargo, Schwinn Klunker, Gravity SS 27.5, Monocog 29er

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 186 Post(s)
Liked 234 Times in 166 Posts
I have hunted a few times off my Pugsley. I had the best luck carrying my rifle wrapped in a sock on a verticle rack mounted to the rear rack. When packing out, the hams get wrapped and carry nicely in Salsa Anything cages on the forks. Shoulders (boned out), backstraps, tenderloins, liver and heart get bagged and go into my backpack for the trip out.

The bike is to get to high points where I can glass and plan a stalk. Then to pack out. The first time I tried to ride out with a quartered, but not boned antelope in my backpack and it was rough to put it mildly. Test your rifle rack out before heading into the country and have a plan for failed hardware. Luckily mine broke on a test ride and I improved the rig. Don't take a rifle you're afraid to drop on the rocks.