Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

New 10s Shimano Cassette, Now gears 5 & 6 are funky

Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Old 08-10-19, 06:09 PM
hobkirk
Retired dabbler

Location: Acton, MA (20 miles west of Boston) - GORGEOUS cycling territory!

Bikes: 2007 Specialized Roubaix Elite Triple - 1st ride = century 9/19/2010 , Ultegra

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

• New cassette is identical to the old (Shimano 11-34).
    • I installed it intact as one unit.
    • Visually the spacing looks perfect.
    • A pro mechanic at Wheelworks looked at it for 5-10 minutes and didn't see anything wrong. I couldn't leave the bike, but we had a good conversation (he knew Sheldon Brown).
  • New chain is identical (Ultegra).
  • Rear derailleur is the same (Shimano M771 IIRC)
    • Although I replaced the jockey wheels. (The RD has 13K miles, the wheel closest to the cassette was almost completely smooth)
BEFORE
  • I could shift into all gears, although not the 11 sometimes because of the jockey wheel.
NOW
  • It feels like 5 & 6 don't hook up properly, and sometimes the gear will change up/down for no reason. Gears 1-4 and 8-10 are solid. Occasionally 7 gets funky. I've tightened and loosened the barrel nut while riding, but it hasn't improved it.

I've changed lots of cassettes and chains, although the jockey wheels was a first. I am using a new computer, and I need to set it up better to upload pictures (after cropping and resizing using IrafanView).

And, I have not disassembled my rear wheel to take apart the cassette and inspect.

I am hoping that one of you brilliant guys will recognize the problem based on my description.
Old 08-10-19, 06:18 PM
Brocephus
Professional amateur

Bikes: Does a Big Wheel count ?

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 295 Post(s)
Liked 133 Times in 89 Posts
Is the hub a 10-spd, or is it 11-spd compatible? Are you supposed to be using a spacer ?
Old 08-10-19, 06:58 PM
dsbrantjr

Bikes: '93 Trek 750, '92 Schwinn Crisscross, '93 Mongoose Alta

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 1438 Post(s)
Liked 1,092 Times in 723 Posts
Even though you installed the cassette as a unit you might check for presence and correct position of all spacers; some of them are quite thin and maybe not apparent to a quick look. Is there perhaps a leftover one behind the cassette?
Did you get the jockey wheels in the correct positions? IIRC Shimano are different top and bottom, the upper one has more sideways "float"; could you have gotten them backwards?
Is the chain directional and if so, installed correctly?
Old 08-12-19, 03:45 AM
zacster

Bikes: Kuota Kredo/Chorus, Trek 7000 commuter, Trek 8000 MTB and a few others

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked 456 Times in 358 Posts
I would start by taking the cassette off and reinstalling it using the blow out diagram to make sure your spacing is correct and everything is seated properly. Also, is the locknut tight enough? I had a Campy 10 setup that had a similar issue where certain gears were noisy. I took it off, cleaned it, then reinstalled and all the problems went away.

Also, check your cable and housing. Maybe it is binding up at that gear.
Old 08-12-19, 06:46 AM
HillRider

Bikes: '96 Litespeed Catalyst, '05 Litespeed Firenze, '06 Litespeed Tuscany, '20 Surly Midnight Special, All are 3x10. It is hilly around here!

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quoted: 2026 Post(s)
Liked 1,095 Times in 741 Posts
Did you refine the cable tension after changing the cassette? Even "identical" cassettes have minor tolerance differences requiring slight adjustments to the cable tension and occasionally to the limit screws.
Old 08-12-19, 09:28 AM
Kapusta
Advanced Slacker

Bikes: Soma Fog Cutter, Surly Wednesday, Canfielld Tilt

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 2749 Post(s)
Liked 2,516 Times in 1,422 Posts
I am going to assume that you’ve already checked cable/housing condition and proper cable tension and high/low adjustments. Make sure that there is not some kink in the cable that is catching.

The next thing I would check is to make sure derailleur hangar is straight. Check it with a tool, don’t just eyeball it. I know it worked OK before, but the previous setup with the more worn chain and cassette may have for some reason been more tolerant of the misalignment. This has happened to me before.