Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

How dyed-in-the-wool as a commuter?

Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

How dyed-in-the-wool as a commuter?

Old 07-13-19, 03:09 AM
JaccoW
Overdoing projects

Bikes: Batavus Randonneur GL, Gazelle Orange Excellent, Gazelle Super Licht, Gazelle Grand Tourist, Gazelle Lausanne, Gazelle Tandem, Koga-Miyata SilverAce, Koga-Miyata WorldTraveller

Mentioned: 58 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 783 Post(s)
Liked 1,215 Times in 677 Posts
probably from the moment I had to go to school, so 27 years or so? I love riding in snow, the only exception is when everything is covered in ice. That rarely happens though where I live.

Distances differed from 3 km to 25 km one way. Basically everything closer than 10 km I do by bike.
Old 07-13-19, 06:29 AM
Bluesfrog

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked 19 Times in 18 Posts
Thanks TermionicScott. Be Well. Bluesfrog
Likes For Bluesfrog:
Old 07-13-19, 07:49 PM
jfan

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 4 Posts
I don't commute in heavy rain, snow or ice on the road or wind chill below 20f. Everything else is a go here in NW Ohio..
Old 07-13-19, 09:07 PM
Archwhorides 

Bikes: Death machines all

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 297 Post(s)
Liked 85 Times in 63 Posts
For me (20 miles rt) cycling is better year around than drive or mass transit, makes choices easy. FWIW, I do enjoy the Fall most.
Old 07-13-19, 09:52 PM
Darth Lefty 
Disco Infiltrator

Bikes: Stormchaser, Paramount, Tilt, Samba tandem

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Quoted: 3126 Post(s)
Liked 2,102 Times in 1,366 Posts
Here’s my serious answer. When I was single, in an apartment, I had a dog. I chose to drive home and walk the dog, rather than ride home and not have time for the dog. Now that I’m married and have a house, the dogs have a backyard and day long entertainment, and I don’t feel bad about neglecting them so much, so I ride more.
Old 07-13-19, 10:17 PM
downtube42

Bikes: Trek Domane SL6 Gen 3, Soma Fog Cutter, Focus Mares AL, Detroit Bikes Sparrow FG, Volae Team, Nimbus MUni

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 878 Post(s)
Liked 2,019 Times in 1,055 Posts
Mostly commuted year round for the last 20 years, though there have been occasional exceptions. My commute has typically been embarrassingly short - because I buy houses close to work.

When I lived in Indiana, summer commuting was about humidity and winter commuting was about re-frozen slush.

When I lived in west Texas, commuting was dominated by heat and, well, by west Texans who had clearly never seen a gainfully employed human using a bike for transportation.

Now here in the PNW, chilly and drizzly describes much of September through May. I wear wool knickers re-made from Goodwill dress slacks those months. Hand-crafting knickers from Goodwill slacks is the second most Portland thing I've ever done.

Cheers
Old 07-14-19, 04:17 PM
Phamilton
Virgo

Bikes: A touring bike and a hybrid

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 454 Post(s)
Liked 97 Times in 69 Posts
I’m just about to complete my 2nd year of bike commuting, 7 seasons anyway as the winter before last I carpooled.

Last winter I bought studded tires to try the winter commuting. My commute is 12 miles each way. I NEEDED the studs about twice but put about 300 miles on them. I don’t plan to ride in those conditions anymore as the studs on MY tires do nothing to help the SUV sliding through the intersection toward me.

Telecommuting part time is a better option for me that I’m thankful I can use when the weather is at extremes.

I’m in northern Indiana. I don’t like to ride much below 20°F or much above 90°F. But we have about 7-8 months of pretty decent cycling weather.

So long as I have the option and am physically able, I plan to cyclocommute indefinitely.

Last edited by Phamilton; 07-14-19 at 04:21 PM.
Old 07-14-19, 04:41 PM
Digger Goreman
Quidam Bike Super Hero

Bikes: 1995 Trek 800 Sport, aka, "CamelTrek"

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 331 Post(s)
Liked 415 Times in 282 Posts
Originally Posted by wipekitty
...then made it a little over a year in Alabama (18 miles RT), got depressed, and drove for about eight months.....
I grew up in Alabama... I understand that statement all too well....
Old 07-15-19, 09:30 AM
pdlamb

Bikes: Fuji Touring, Novara Randonee

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 2575 Post(s)
Liked 1,900 Times in 1,192 Posts
15 years of nearly continuous bike commuting.

I'd tried it a few times, and enjoyed it. The Friday before Katrina hit New Orleans, though, I looked at the gas prices as I rode home and thought, "That's about to go sky high." A dozen yards up the road it hit me: "But I don't have to pay that to get to and from work." So I became a regular cycling commuter.

About the only things I pass on include snow or ice (if we're going to play bumper cars, I want 3,000 pounds on my side); heavy rain in the 30s, lightning, and illness. I can usually ride on days with thunderstorms because they're usually gone within half an hour.
Old 07-15-19, 09:46 AM
cyccommute 
Mad bike riding scientist

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Mentioned: 150 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6147 Post(s)
Liked 4,091 Times in 2,325 Posts
I've commuted at least once every month since 1978. That's 492 months straight. Most of the time I've commuted at least once a week and often 5 times per week. That includes getting hit by a car and spending 6 weeks recovering from turning a knee into hamburger (I bought a replacement bike while on crutches), breaking an ankle (a second time) with 6 weeks of recovery, and having to work in Burlington, VT for most of 2 years ( I took bikes with me).

I've crashed on ice, crashed off-road, crashed into a pedestrian (her fault), hit curbs at high enough speed to do a Greg Lougainis dismount (somersault with a full layout using my head as a pivot point), and crashed into a car (see above). I've ridden in snowstorms, blizzards, 105°F heat, 0°F cold (I have limits), hailstorms, thunderstorms, thundersnow storms, downpours, and a whole lot of really nice weather.

I've commuted as many as 212 times per year and as few as 70 (flying back and forth to Vermont puts a damper on bicycle commuting). I've broken 4 bike frames, more spokes than I can count, a pedal, a crank, and a suspension fork (curb) as well as other things I don't even remember.

People constantly ask me "do you still ride your bike to work" which I always answer politely but inside my head I'm yelling "OF COURSE I DO! YOU MIGHT AS WELL ASK IF I STILL BREATHE, YOU KNOB!" That year I spent in Vermont where I only commuted 70 days just about killed me.
Likes For cyccommute:
Old 07-15-19, 11:16 AM
mjd420nova

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
As a much younger youth, it was not uncommon for a 6 mile bike ride, in the dead of winter, 40 below zero F even and lived to tell about it. Fifty years later and with the internet weather stations, I don't ride in the rain, just between storms and it seldom gets below freezing. It won't snow here but it was an experience I would only recommend to the hardy, healthy and have a good bike.
Old 07-15-19, 11:52 AM
Sorcerer

Location: '16 StumpJ, Salsa Mukluk, Soulcycles SS, Dean Colonel HT, BMC FourstrokeTrail, Dean Torres CX, Santana Visa Tandem, Trek T2000 Tandem, Cupertino MTB Tandem, FreeAgent26"Xtracycle, Dirt Drop Dingle, Jamis Dragon Dingle, Airborne Skyhag SS, SSDean Cols
Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked 116 Times in 61 Posts
Commuter

8 miles to work, and various ways home, for more than 31 years. I have to punch in, and the time pressure to arrive at work on time, makes it hard sometimes, and I push the pace hard.

Sometimes I'll drive if I'm not well, too late, have a feeling I should skip it, or terrible weather.

Recently, I switched to a single speed bike, 45x15 for the commute, and this is much better. I can't believe it took so long for me to learn this since I ride a single speed mountain bike a lot.
Old 07-16-19, 08:57 AM
RubeRad
Keepin it Wheel

Bikes: Surly CrossCheck, Krampus

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked 3,399 Times in 2,510 Posts
I've been nearly-full-time bike-commuting for about 7 years now. San Diego weather makes year-round easy. In the beginning, reading about all the rest of you that ride in rain and snow, I felt I had to ride in the rain as well. But the last year or two, I decided, I got nothin to prove to nobody. If it's raining in the morning, or if I'm aware that a storm is coming and I'd get dumped on in the evening, I'll just drive. But I can never remember to check the weather ahead of time, so once in a while I get surprised by some rain when I'm at work. And that's ok. I ride home and get wet. Then I shower and towel off.

If I lived in Portland or something, I'd invest in showers pass rain gear, and fenders. But for like 5days/yr lost to rain, it's not worth the money to kit up.
Old 07-16-19, 11:01 AM
Korina
Happy banana slug

Location: Arcata, California, U.S., North America, Earth, Saggitarius Arm, Milky Way

Bikes: 1984 Araya MB 261, 1992 Specialized Rockhopper Sport, 1993 Hard Rock Ultra, 1994 Trek Multitrack 750, 1995 Trek Singletrack 930

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 1524 Post(s)
Liked 1,513 Times in 906 Posts
Total weather weenie here. If it's below 45F or raining, I have a bus pass and I'm not afraid to use it.
Old 07-16-19, 12:41 PM
ThermionicScott 
working on my sandal tan

Bikes: 1991 Bianchi Eros, 1964 Armstrong, 1988 Diamondback Ascent, 1988 Bianchi Premio, 1987 Bianchi Sport SX, 1980s Raleigh mixte (hers), All-City Space Horse (hers)

Mentioned: 98 Post(s)
Quoted: 3868 Post(s)
Liked 2,560 Times in 1,574 Posts
I owe @Bluesfrog a serious answer, and a story might be the best form for it:

I rode my first RAGBRAI in 2009. That experience of using my bike to get all the way across a whole state opened my eyes to what could be done. When I got home, it struck me as completely absurd to use a car to go a measly 7 miles to work! So I quickly found a route that was relatively safe, and I was hooked. Until winter, when I was pretty much completely unprepared to ride in snow and cold weather. I did the BRR Ride the following February with a couple of buddies on my crappy mountain bike, and that got me primed to start commuting again in the spring. I became pretty gung-ho about it, especially after joining BikeForums and investing in some AmFib tights and studded tires, but above all, my goal has been to enjoy riding and not make it a chore that must be done. So I always allow myself an "out" to ride to work with the wife or <gasp> drive my Subaru if it's raining cats and dogs or I'm not feeling well. Still, I've commuted at least 100 times per year for quite a while now, with a peak of 157 in 2016.
People in this forum are not typical.
RUSA #7498
Old 07-16-19, 01:49 PM
Cycle Tourist

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 195 Post(s)
Liked 206 Times in 125 Posts
Originally Posted by Bluesfrog
I did twelve years all seasons to work and wondered how many folks do that? I only bike about eight miles, but eight miles in winter can be tough. After semi-retiring I am less dedicated. At 0200 a few days ago it was already 78* in Misery and I decided to drive. What a wuss. I guess I'm not as dedicated as I used to be. I'm 67 and have a few wrecked body parts so it is interesting. But that is the way life can be. How about you folks? I can't believe I misspelled dyed but it was pointed out in a humorous way. Be Well. Bluesfrog
I did 20 miles to work and 20 back every day for about six years. I do live in San Diego so it was never really cold but sometimes wet. I really loved it and it put me in good shape for touring. I'm retired and cranking about 20 a day now at a reduced pace. My day in the saddle on tours has increased in time but stayed the same in distance. (70 miles). Compared to my retired friends I'm a super athlete.
I think being a dedicated commuter is one of the best things you can do. Raising your blood pressure fighting through traffic so you can get home and spend a couple of hours at the gym is nuts!
Old 08-08-19, 06:48 AM
Bluesfrog

Cyccommute, you sound like me. They ask me at work after about 14 years of commuting, did you ride today**********? Some people don't know how it sounds. I try to be nice. But it is hard to be nice after working in a prison for almost 23 years. It isn't the inmates that get to me. It's the administration. Still second lowest paid in the US and now we pay for our own insurance. And they wonder why I commute by bike. I don't struggle to pay for the car, truck, or the house. They are paid for, in part because of the commute. And I am less apt to snap if I am allowed to commute. Before I biked to work I hiked a few days a week. Try not to snap Cyccommute. They are the unwashed. Be Well. Bluesfrog
Old 08-08-19, 07:22 AM
alloo

Bikes: 2022 Priority Coast, 2022 Priority Current

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 175 Post(s)
Liked 137 Times in 99 Posts
This is my first year commuting on bicycle. I don't own a car, but have commuted for 14 years on a motorscooter. I currently ride to work four days a week and plan on being a four season commuter. I ride a beach cruiser style bicycle. My bicycle commute is 12 miles one way. I was inspired to bicycle commute by one of my bus riders who had no lower temperature threshold only used the ice threshold. I am combining my motorcycle experience with bicycling. I know that the body adopts to temperatures I get cold/Hot inside a building more than outside.

Commuting has helped me to lower my A1c, I'm a type 2 diabetic that is trying to lose 100 lbs by next summer. So cycling is central to reaching my goal along with a healthier diet. So far I have lost 15 lbs and my insulin levels have been cut in half. My A1c went from 8.4 to 6.1 in a very short time.

I have two regular bicycles and an ebike. I'm looking at getting a second ebike. We will see. Will look at using the regular bikes during the winter. Not sure yet. My bicycle style is beach cruisers. This year and in the future, I'm looking at trying different gear and seeing what works. Any advice is appreciated. Thank You.
Old 08-08-19, 06:45 PM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Mentioned: 510 Post(s)
Quoted: 7287 Post(s)
Liked 2,361 Times in 1,380 Posts
Originally Posted by Cycle Tourist
I think being a dedicated commuter is one of the best things you can do. Raising your blood pressure fighting through traffic so you can get home and spend a couple of hours at the gym is nuts!
There is medical evidence that supports this. I read about a study in the UK done by the National Health Service. People who have bike commuted all their lives are in MUCH better shape when they're old and have longer life expectancies. And most of them commuted just two or three miles each way and not vigorously. But it makes a big difference.

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.
Old 08-09-19, 08:40 AM
Ky_Rider

Bikes: Trek Verve Ebike and Surly Wednesday

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
There was a couple of years I commuted (30-40 RT) year round because we were down to 1 car. It was challenging at times because of the weather. My legs were usually wet noodles by the end of the week and rarely felt like recreational riding. I only occasionally commute these days. I wish I were closer to work so I could commute more often. It's takes over an hour each way and there's a 1 mile stretch of road that I don't enjoy when everyone is leaving work. I still ride 3-4 times a week but the commute got old. I also enjoy mountain biking on the weekends.
Old 08-09-19, 02:27 PM
Bluesfrog

Thanks for the info guys. I find riding keeps me calm and smooth. I do avoid certain parts of the highway coming out of work. I ride to a Walmart and use the traffic light there as it is "safer" than riding beside my fellow corrections officers at the first two intersections out of work. They are exhuberant you might say. Be Well. Bluesfrog.
Old 08-12-19, 04:27 AM
zacster

Bikes: Kuota Kredo/Chorus, Trek 7000 commuter, Trek 8000 MTB and a few others

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked 455 Times in 357 Posts
I was never a die hard. I commuted when the weather was dry except if I got caught in the rain. Cold and snow would certainly stop me. Usually once the snow starts I stop for the season. And now I've stopped for good as I've retired. I plan on doing a 2 hour ride though every day to make up for the lack of commuter miles, with longer rides too on certain days. My goal is 150 miles/week. That shouldn't be too hard, and maybe 200 if I have a good week. This routine starts today, it is 6:30am and by 8 I should be on the road. The first ride? My commute of course, except on my road bike. It was an hour to the office no matter how I did it, road bike or commuter bike, it was more the lights and traffic that slowed me down.
Old 08-12-19, 06:28 AM
Jim from Boston

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 800 Post(s)
Liked 218 Times in 171 Posts
Originally Posted by zacster
I was never a die hard. I commuted when the weather was dry except if I got caught in the rain. Cold and snow would certainly stop me. Usually once the snow starts I stop for the season. And now I've stopped for good as I've retired.

I plan on doing a 2 hour ride though every day to make up for the lack of commuter miles, with longer rides too on certain days. My goal is 150 miles/week. That shouldn't be too hard, and maybe 200 if I have a good week.

This routine starts today, it is 6:30am and by 8 I should be on the road. The first ride? My commute of course, except on my road bike. It was an hour to the office no matter how I did it, road bike or commuter bike, it was more the lights and traffic that slowed me down.
I have posted:
Originally Posted by Jim from Boston
I previously replied to this thread on the Commuting Forum, "How to motivate myself to ride when I'll no longer be commuting to work?"...

Just yesterday a colleague asked me when I was going to retire. I suggested a number of years, adding, "I like my job, and it’s a convenient place (and distance) to bike to."
Originally Posted by OldsCOOL
I like that.
but,
I have previously posted to this thread, Why didn’t I ride
My job; either too much to do, so I stay (comfortably) overnight and resume very early in the AM, missing my commute; or have to travel afar for a meeting...and to a lesser extent, family activities. …

Having a mileage-based training schedule however, effectively motivates me to make time to ride. I have the opportunity to commute a minimal 14 miles one-way during the week (Commuter Rail home), and round-trip on Saturday all year-round, for about 100 miles a week. During the nice weather, I’d like to put in about 150-200 miles to train and do long rides.

In reality though, I probably get in about 20-30 miles per week during the winter, and maybe about 75-100 during the nice weather (to include early evening rides)
Originally Posted by tsl
…I was concerned about getting decent miles in. This is the time of year when I'd take my 17-mile long loop to work, and a 13-mile cut of it coming home.

It's not that I chase miles for the sake of numbers. It takes me 50 miles a week just to feel good and normal, I feel fantastic over 100 miles a week, and like Superman over 150
I particularly agree with your assessment of weekly mileage, though at over 150 miles per week, I call it hyper-fit.
Old 08-12-19, 09:53 AM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Mentioned: 510 Post(s)
Quoted: 7287 Post(s)
Liked 2,361 Times in 1,380 Posts
New York City traffic has reached a crisis level in recent years. I've been back here for only six years, and the crisis developed since I've been here. At the same time, the subways are working much worse in the same period. As a result, the only mode of transportation that has a predictable travel time is bicycle. A lot of bike trips that New Yorkers make are not fun, but they suck less than all other modes of travel. The radio news (WNYC) did a story about this, as it is doing a series about commuting on all modes. Lots of people calling in weighed in about how bike commuting is the only reliable way. The amount of time a trip takes by bike today is the same amount as it took yesterday. The variation of travel times by other modes is mind-boggling. If you have a long car drive, it could take more than an hour longer than estimated on some days. Some commuter train rides take two hours longer than estimated. Of course, a bike commute can't replace a trip of great distance, so I'm lucky I don't have to travel many miles, but I often have to go five or six miles in the city, and even if I have to traverse some very harrowing intersections, I'd rather not take a car, taxi, bus, or subway.

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.

Last edited by noglider; 08-12-19 at 10:52 PM.
Old 08-12-19, 04:04 PM
Koyote

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 6881 Post(s)
Liked 10,869 Times in 4,634 Posts
I would happily ride to work in the winter snow, but they dump huge amounts of salt on our roads. In fact, if there is even a chance of snow, they will pour some sort of liquid sodium solution on the roads, and then follow it up with rock salt. I just can't destroy a bike by riding in that stuff.

So, my limit is any temp above 32 fahrenheit, rain or shine, as long as the roads are not icy.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.