Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Hybrid Bicycles
Reload this Page >

Specialized Roll Comp & Elite

Notices
Hybrid Bicycles Where else would you go to discuss these fun, versatile bikes?

Old 10-26-15, 09:50 PM
rgiorgio

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Any thoughts on the Roll models for Specialized. Looking for more comfortable ride. Odd tire sizes, hydraulic brakes, 9 speeds. Not much info out there on the Roll models.

Specialized Bicycle Components

Old 10-26-15, 11:50 PM
NormanF

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 147 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 8 Posts
It has fat 650b tires. Its a perfect tweener size, especially for folks for whom a 29er isn't suitable:

Not much information on it and its a unique bike. Looks like a lot of fun!
Old 10-27-15, 12:21 PM
Delmarva

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
You may want to ride the Roll models. I'm thinking those fat tires will add to pedaling effort and put you in a lower slower gear. When I think of comfort riding something like the Giant Cypress comes to mind.
Old 10-27-15, 12:30 PM
Wrenchspinnerjr

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I can speak to the comfort of the Giant Cypress. Very comfortable position if that is what you are after
Old 12-01-15, 06:10 AM
SlinkyWizard

Bikes: 2016 Trek DS 8.5, Giant Fastroad Comax 1 2018

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 3 Posts
Due to lack of selection of hybrid bikes here in Korea, ( at least the ones I see on international websites and want, and are unavailable here ) , my wife wanted a bike that
a) is step through, and
b) one that she can cruise around on, so the local Specialized store had the low entry Roll Elite. After the missus had a test ride on one, she was sold.

Her old bike was a Lespo mountain bike, ( the local brand here ) solid as, built tough, heavy, never a problem, but it wasn't a step through, so she felt it uncomfortable coming to stops at crossings. Getting off and getting on was slightly difficult for her,

but the Roll Elite, we bought the bike at the bike store, she rode it home, she is really liking the bike. She has no problems coming to a stop and ( getting off? although it's not quite getting off, it's um, balancing the bike, getting ready to take off? is there terminology here for what I am describing? ) starting off again. We are going to take it for a full on spin this weekend, the bike is light compared to the Lespo, brakes are sensitive and smooth, compared to the Lespo, and she really likes the handle bars, the angle and the height, she can bend her arms a bit, and her hands sit nicely on the handlebars, she can also lean back a bit, which she likes.

Looking at the bike, to me, it's a good looking bike!

Happy wife, happy life
Old 12-02-15, 05:25 PM
Retired15

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
We are looking at that bike and would like your feedback on it.
Old 12-02-15, 08:58 PM
avidone1

Bikes: 2016 Specialized crosstrail comp disc

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Looks like a wannabe mountain bike to me. Why not just get a 650b bona fide mtb?
Old 12-02-15, 09:48 PM
NormanF

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 147 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 8 Posts
Originally Posted by avidone1
Looks like a wannabe mountain bike to me. Why not just get a 650b bona fide mtb?
If you want an urban bike, the Roll is more suitable with the rigid fork. Its Specialized's 650b counterpart to the Marin Muirwoods and Giant ToughRoads, which are urban 29ers with a rigid fork.
Old 12-03-15, 09:48 AM
Retired15

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
My husband has a bad back and we're looking for a comfortable bike that won't put any stress on it and for just cruising around, nothing hardcore.
Old 02-03-16, 10:33 AM
amindspin

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I just bought one over the weekend, I love it so far. I'm a bigger guy it, rides like a cruiser, but you can actually get moving to commute with it or take it off-road .. It's an odd duck in the bike world but worth it for regular rides when your not trying to set your hair on fire
Old 02-05-16, 04:42 AM
SlinkyWizard

The sore back problems my wife first had when riding this bike have all but gone, our usual 20km+ trips for her is a breeze, as long as she doesn't push too hard.
Old 04-25-16, 08:32 PM
JoSeph leo

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Unhappy

Have owned Cannondale bikes for years..me and my wife are both retired now so we winter in florida ....and purchased the Roll Elite this past winter..we loved them so much ....no back pain at all... we are both in our late 50s and we bike 30 miles aday now...we loved them so much we sold our Cannondales... when we got back to New York and purchased 2 more for summer fun.
Old 05-03-16, 09:13 PM
Salty Pete

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Not too many reviews online for the Roll yet. I've got one on order, a large Elite in Gray. Should have it by the end of the week. Gonna test ride it and see how it is. It is going to replace an older Electra cruiser which is too "comfort"-able.
Old 05-05-16, 11:14 PM
Salty Pete

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
First impression is that this is definitely replacing the cruiser. That's why it came home with me. Didn't do much real riding. Not enough to fully enjoy the bike. The gray color is great. Little darker than on the website. Here's a few initial pics.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
20160505_191248.jpg (97.4 KB, 880 views)

Last edited by Salty Pete; 05-05-16 at 11:35 PM.
Old 05-11-16, 02:54 PM
side_FX

Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Salty Pete
First impression is that this is definitely replacing the cruiser. That's why it came home with me. Didn't do much real riding. Not enough to fully enjoy the bike. The gray color is great. Little darker than on the website. Here's a few initial pics.
Thanks for the pics, there are few "real world" of the Roll to find online, and that's a shame. It looks like a great urban cruiser that Specialized should be marketing better. It would be great for cruising the shore towns down by Cape May/Wildwood, NJ as well. How is the riding position vs. the Crosstrail? The website pics make it look real "cruiser-like", but your pics seem a bit more conventionally upright. It looks like a real fun bike. Enjoy!!
Old 05-26-16, 09:06 AM
LoveOutdoors

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I was at the bike store couple of weeks ago and saw this bike. Not knowing anything about it, I got on it and loved it. I need to keep up with the kids when we go camping, around the hilly neighborhood and some trails (not typical mountain biking trails, more that joggers and walkers go on - not paved) and the beach (not necessarily on the beach) and a thinking this is the right line or me. I have been looking online at the models but am unable to really compare them. Anyone have any insights into the Roll, Roll Comp, Roll Sport, Elite? What's the difference, etc. (I know the brakes, but what else)?
Old 05-29-16, 11:50 PM
Salty Pete

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Finally got out and gave this a good shakedown. Rode 13 miles today. Some dirt trail hardpack, beach trial, and city streets. So awesome. Handles and rides great. It was challenging finding the right gear for a strong onshore headwind. I wanted to buy a rack that clamps onto the seatpost but the angle doesn't work with the tire size unless I raise my seat higher than what I need. I've got a large frame.

The only differences between the different levels are the normal things like shifters and breaks. Also, the top two tiers have aluminum forks and the lower ones have cromoly.

I agree, Specialized should be pushing this bike more. The bike store I bought mine from said they don't keep them in stock long.
Old 06-02-16, 12:29 AM
Korax

Bikes: 2016 Specialized Roll Sport Step Thru, 2020 Trek Verve+ 2 Low Step

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 5 Posts
Has anyone ridden the both the roll and the expedition? Thoughts?
Old 06-02-16, 08:46 PM
Salty Pete

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I've not ridden the Expedition but from based on looks alone I'd pick the Roll. I'm sure they ride similar. The Expedition looks like many other bikes in the same category.
Old 06-03-16, 06:47 PM
Korax

Liked 7 Times in 5 Posts
I bought the step thru version today! Niiice
Old 06-05-16, 12:39 PM
Salty Pete

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Korax
I bought the step thru version today! Niiice
Any pics?
How do you like it?
Old 06-05-16, 01:09 PM
Korax

Liked 7 Times in 5 Posts
Pics coming...getting the custom Roll fenders and maybe a rack next week. It's surprisingly quick, love the upright position and comfy ride. I put a set of ergon gp5 grips with bar ends on it - makes hill climbing easier. I'm not a noob either ..have owned roadbikes, hybrids etc. Its a super fun bike. I got the Sport model. Its what they had in stock and suits me fine. The "Cup" seat is a good effort, still working on adjusting it, might get a Brooks B67 if cant dial it in to my satisfaction, but would hate to lose the waterproof feature of the stock saddle. Might have preferred northroad (swept back) handlebars on a bike like this.

Last edited by Korax; 06-05-16 at 03:08 PM.
Old 06-06-16, 12:42 AM
Salty Pete

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Can't wait to see the fenders. I wasn't sure about getting them. I put a rack on mine last night. Today on a ride the rear shifter was giving me trouble though. I'll take it in where I got it and see what they say.
Old 06-07-16, 06:31 AM
SlinkyWizard

Great to see this bike getting some attention, the missus and I did a 52 km ride today, her on a Low Entry Roll Elite, mostly flat paths, and a few hills. Upon returning home, the usual questions asked, "how's your bum?" how's your back?" "how are your legs / feet ? " All responses "are fine." Just a bit tired.

For a bike that is described as just to ride around your neighbourhood, for sure it is, but I think it is more than that, this bike can also go distance, at least further than your neighbourhood.

Lastly, she doesn't ride as much as me, and today, without padded shorts, she didn't have any problems, I'm seriously thinking of getting a seat like the one that comes with the Roll Elite.
Old 06-07-16, 06:23 PM
Salty Pete

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I agree the seat is awesome. Maybe "the cup" marketing got in my head but I've got no back/arse issues after my rides. Please post pics when you can. The more the merrier. I'm too jazzed about these bikes. I even considered a low entry but doubted the large would be good for my size. I'm 6'.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.