Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

Rain Cape Musings...

Search
Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

Rain Cape Musings...

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-17, 10:23 PM
BobbyG

Bikes: 2015 Charge Plug, 2007 Dahon Boardwalk, 1997 Nishiki Blazer, 1984 Nishiki International, 2006 Felt F65, 1989 Dahon Getaway V

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1364 Post(s)
Liked 1,677 Times in 827 Posts
Rain Cape Musings...

Anticipating a rainy ride home this afternoon I decided to see if an old,large, heavy rain poncho could be worn like a rain cape with the front covering the handlebars. I used to wear rain jackets and rain ponchos but not covering the handlebars. I'd get so sweaty I might as well not wear anything, which is what I do in warm summer rains. But when it is colder I get wet and cold and my shorts get wet.

So I grabbed an older, lager heavier rain poncho I had and tried to drape it over the handlebars like one would do with a real rain poncho. It worked! So when work ended it was raining, but not as hard as I had hoped. But I still donned the poncho and draped it over the front bars. It didn't have straps for my fingers or hands, but I was able to grab some material between my fingers.

The thing about this poncho is that it has two snaps on each side. So I figured that might help provide ventilation if it didn't allow too much rain in.

Well, it worked...and it worked well. my shorts, legs and shoes stayed dry, and I didn't perspire any more than a regular ride. The rain let up about halfway home,but I kept the cape on as it didn't get me hot.

What was odd was not being able to see my hands or the bars, or my bike computer. I thought I was making great time, but it was just the same as usual. Not being able to gauge my progress with the clock or speedometer I had to rely on feel. That was interesting.

I also would not be able to use my handlebar mounted headlight in the winter. And I couldn't see my bar-end mirror, but I also wear a take-a-look mirror, so that wasn't a problem.

I just wanted to share my experience, and a photo, and wonder if a real rain poncho would be hotter as it wouldn't have the side gaps this regular poncho did.

I was very pleased and surprised at how well this worked out for keeping me dry and cool.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
14943876251400.jpg (96.0 KB, 393 views)
Old 05-09-17, 11:12 PM
yamsyamsyams

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked 41 Times in 20 Posts
Glad that it worked well for you! I am curious as to whether or not it would get caught in the spokes or drivetrain if the wind blows in the wrong direction.

I've never worn a rain cape of any sort because I figured that my commutes always end up with me sweaty anyway, regardless of whether or not it's rainy/winter/summer/windy.
Old 05-10-17, 05:23 AM
jamesdelap

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Originally Posted by BobbyG
...So when work ended it was raining, but not as hard as I had hoped...
Things you rarely hear from a cycle commuter...
Old 05-10-17, 05:31 AM
Bike Gremlin
Mostly harmless ™

Bikes: Heavy, with friction shifters

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1107 Post(s)
Liked 216 Times in 130 Posts
In my experience, a cape is OK for shorter rides in downpoors, without too much wind. For all other conditions, I prefer a change of clothes and make peace with being soaking wet.
Old 05-10-17, 06:51 AM
mcours2006

Bikes: ...a few.

Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Quoted: 2010 Post(s)
Liked 408 Times in 234 Posts
I was also wondering about the effect of wind on that set up. I can't imagine it'd be too good.

Also wondering about interference on front wheel with the loose hanging parts. Man, I'd hate for anything to get caught in the front wheel.
Old 05-10-17, 07:00 AM
BobbyG

Bikes: 2015 Charge Plug, 2007 Dahon Boardwalk, 1997 Nishiki Blazer, 1984 Nishiki International, 2006 Felt F65, 1989 Dahon Getaway V

Originally Posted by yamsyamsyams
I am curious as to whether or not it would get caught in the spokes or drivetrain if the wind blows in the wrong direction.
Originally Posted by mcours2006
Also wondering about interference on front wheel with the loose hanging parts. Man, I'd hate for anything to get caught in the front wheel.
Once underway the front of poncho rose slightly. I have a front fender that from that angle doesn't show, but the poncho didn't quite reach it. the low hanging flap in the front is out by the end of the handlebar.

I could see where a strong wind might catch the corner and blow it into the spokes or drivetrain, but I didn't encounter anything like that.

So I'll pack this in my gear and wait for the next big rain to really try it out. But as I said above, I usually just ridein the rain as it doesn't usually rain hard or long here.
Old 05-10-17, 07:07 AM
mcours2006

I think if I were going to the local grocery store, like a couple of km, I would consider that set up using my MTB, but for my 20 km commute I'd prefer to get wet and then dry my clothes at work or at home. Both locations have a clothes dryer.
Old 05-10-17, 07:16 AM
Bandera
~>~

Mentioned: 87 Post(s)
Quoted: 1112 Post(s)
Liked 180 Times in 119 Posts
Originally Posted by BobbyG
I was very pleased and surprised at how well this worked out for keeping me dry and cool.
The British know about commuting in the wet.
The traditional combo of raincape & mudguards works very well for that type of riding.
Designed for use on the bike good coverage combine with ventilation and quick on/off to make a practical choice.

-Bandera
Attached Images
raincape.jpg (9.5 KB, 366 views)
Old 05-10-17, 08:32 AM
RubeRad
Keepin it Wheel

Bikes: Surly CrossCheck, Krampus

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked 3,424 Times in 2,532 Posts
Rivendell sells a rain poncho that looks like a great deal now that the price has dropped to $75 (although sold out in Large). It's got thumb loops and a waist strap.

I have an Ikea poncho that is pretty nice, especially for the price. I sit on the back hem so it doesn't flap around, and I hold the front hem on my handlebars, so my computer and light are still out in the open. It works really well, all the open space on the bottom allows for plenty of ventilation. It's pretty lightweight, packs into itself pretty small, and the fabric seems like it's not going to just shred like a single-use amusement-park emergency poncho made of saran wrap.

I just need to figure out how to attach some thumb-loops. That would be a LOT easier than holding it in my grip on the bars, because hands need to move around, and you don't want to have to keep hold of the edge of the poncho the whole time.
Old 05-10-17, 08:39 AM
bikemig 

Bikes: A bunch of old bikes and a few new ones

Mentioned: 178 Post(s)
Quoted: 5888 Post(s)
Liked 3,471 Times in 2,079 Posts
Originally Posted by Bandera
The British know about commuting in the wet.
The traditional combo of raincape & mudguards works very well for that type of riding.
Designed for use on the bike good coverage combine with ventilation and quick on/off to make a practical choice.

-Bandera
+ 1. This works exceptionally well but it has fallen out of favor with the advent of "breathable" rain gear. No breathable rain gear has ventilation as good as an old fashioned rain cape though.

I did a 5 month tour once from Finland down to Spain. It rained for what seemed like every damn day when I was in Sweden (not all day but at least part of each day). My rain cape worked like a champ with wool socks and wool tights to keep my legs warm. One of these days I may buy another rain cape but I dunno if I'd ride that many days in the rain again,
Old 05-10-17, 08:41 AM
mcours2006

Originally Posted by RubeRad
I have an Ikea poncho that is pretty nice, especially for the price.
Thanks for the heads up. I'm going to pick one up the next time I'm there.
Old 05-10-17, 09:01 AM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
Proper Cycling Capes (8th post) are conical front a bit longer than the back,

OTOH, ponchos are rectangular .. (Army , surplus , we called them shelter halves)

back packer's ponchos longer in the back to cover the pack.

I have a cape ordered thru Riv Bike, they got the Grundens company to make,

a company well known for foul weather gear for the Commercial Fishing Community, around here.

Right on the coast where the rain squalls come ashore.

Last edited by fietsbob; 05-10-17 at 09:12 AM.
Old 05-10-17, 09:09 AM
alan s 

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1496 Post(s)
Liked 189 Times in 128 Posts
Nice color. Did it occur to you that you are riding indoors, and maybe that's why you are dry?
Old 05-10-17, 09:14 AM
bikemig 

J & G has a rain cape as well, Rain Capes from People Who Really Know Rain Capes!

I might have to get one. J & G also sells a non-technical wind jacket I've been thinking about getting. It's odd how hard it has become to find these. Every manufacturers seems to want a technical coating of some sort which reduces your ability to sweat.
Old 05-10-17, 09:17 AM
alan s 

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1496 Post(s)
Liked 189 Times in 128 Posts
IKEA calls it the Darth Vadda

Old 05-10-17, 09:24 AM
RubeRad
Keepin it Wheel

Bikes: Surly CrossCheck, Krampus

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked 3,424 Times in 2,532 Posts
If you figure out a good way to rig some thumb-loops, let me know. The material seems non-fragile but I wouldn't say tough or rugged, so I'm worried that if I sew into it I'll make it tear. I'm thinking now though, maybe I can buy a pack of grommets for reinforced holes. I've been meaning to do that also so I can 'improve' my seatbag to be able to take advantage of the bag loops on my saddle (Selle An-Atomica Titanico X)
Old 05-10-17, 10:06 PM
BobbyG

Originally Posted by alan s
Nice color. Did it occur to you that you are riding indoors, and maybe that's why you are dry?
Old 05-10-17, 10:14 PM
BobbyG

Originally Posted by RubeRad
If you figure out a good way to rig some thumb-loops, let me know.
Just today, I took a rubber grommet but instead of poking a hole, I twisted a little bit of the fabric around it and tied it with a strip from an old innertube, then made a loop for my hand/finger. The innertube is already tearing, but I will redo it with some elastc ribbon I have. That should not year or cut the plastic. If it rained more out here I'd just but a rain cape, but I enjoy tinkering.
Old 05-10-17, 10:23 PM
BobbyG

here's how that looks it will look better with the black ribbon
Attached Images
14944764926920.jpg (96.1 KB, 340 views)
Old 05-11-17, 06:29 AM
blakcloud

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 608 Post(s)
Liked 352 Times in 225 Posts
When I start commuting again by bike, this is what I am going to replace my Shower Pass rain jacket with Cleverhood

It is pricey but I paid this for my Shower Pass Elite 2.1 which I find adequate at best.
Old 05-11-17, 06:30 AM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Mentioned: 511 Post(s)
Quoted: 7348 Post(s)
Liked 2,460 Times in 1,432 Posts
Yes, these things are perfect for some conditions, i.e. rain with little or no wind, because they allow better ventilation than jackets. But they're as useless as umbrellas when it's windy.

I keep a complete change of clothes at work, including underwear, socks, and shoes. About once a year, I get entirely drenched, and it comes in handy. Getting drenched isn't entirely miserable unless it's also cold. I've managed to stay out of soaking rain on cold days.

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.
Old 05-11-17, 06:58 AM
BobbyG

Originally Posted by noglider
Yes, these things are perfect for some conditions, i.e. rain with little or no wind, because they allow better ventilation than jackets. But they're as useless as umbrellas when it's windy.

I keep a complete change of clothes at work, including underwear, socks, and shoes. About once a year, I get entirely drenched, and it comes in handy. Getting drenched isn't entirely miserable unless it's also cold. I've managed to stay out of soaking rain on cold days.
Yeah, that's why I haven't invested in a real rain cape. Riding home, the first thing I do when I get there is jump in the shower. And I carry my clothes to work, but when it rains I bag my backpack so they stay dry.
Old 05-11-17, 07:03 AM
tdonline

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 179 Post(s)
Liked 19 Times in 13 Posts
What if you can't get drenched though? What if you're going to meet up friends for dinner? Or a movie? Right now, I simply don't ride in the rain, but would like to come up with a solution that would allow me to ride in light to moderate rain. Seems like there are tradeoffs for all options.

I was at Ikea recently and considered their poncho--the price is certainly right. But it felt hot and non-breathable while I was just standing there and I was afraid it was going to be sauna while riding.
Old 05-11-17, 07:15 AM
Bike Gremlin
Mostly harmless ™

Bikes: Heavy, with friction shifters

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1107 Post(s)
Liked 216 Times in 130 Posts

And the ponchos are still a bit "sweatier" - I really sweat a lot.

Wouldn't consider buying one, but got one as a present. And, it works for up to 10 km flat rides, with little wind and a downpour. So it's used a few times per year. Still wouldn't go and buy one.
Old 05-11-17, 07:27 AM
bikemig 

I dunno. I toured five months with one through Europe. It worked just fine in all sorts of conditions. There was lots and lots of wind coming off the north sea for big parts of the ride. People use these things in northern Europe where wind is a way of life. I'm not saying it's ideal in a wind but certainly not useless.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.