Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Professional Cycling For the Fans
Reload this Page >

Fantasy Tour de France + general TdF discussion...

Notices
Professional Cycling For the Fans Follow the Tour de France,the Giro de Italia, the Spring Classics, or other professional cycling races? Here's your home...

Old 07-01-19, 10:10 PM
diphthong

Bikes: 85 pinarello treviso steel, 88 nishiki olympic steel. 95 look kg 131 carbon, 11 trek madone 5.2 carbon

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1619 Post(s)
Liked 3,087 Times in 1,670 Posts

hay there...i think i found the best of the worst options to get us through the tdf.

Tour de France Fantasy League - Free Fantasy Cycling 2019 - Login

league name: bike forums

league code: 1423956809961

select ten riders + two teams. maximum of two riders from any one team. out of the two teams selections, you can only have a maximum of one rider from each of your selected teams
so if you pick team michelton-scott as one of your teams, you can't take both yates...you'll hafta pick the right one. good luck with that. haha. scoring is a little different.
biggest changes are the extra rider, picking the teams (but the teams concept is roughly the same as "assists" in our usual fantasy format) and no point values or forced
categories (sprinter/climber/all-rounder...) to hold you back.

there are transfers (a maximum of 30 during the entire game) but in the spirit of only dancing with the one ya brung, i propose a "straight" (no jokes please) league free of transfers.
less hassle for sure. i'll take feedback and if the majority want xfers, then fine.

i don't think our choices are hidden from others so there's that. i also don't think any of us are desperate/stupid enough to try and copy answers from the test of the smartest kid in class.
could be wrong-again-but pretty sure there is no smartest kid in this classroom. anyway, give it a whirl.
Old 07-02-19, 04:14 AM
slcbob
bored of "Senior Member"

Bikes: Cross-Check/Nexus commuter. Several others for various forms of play.

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 639 Post(s)
Liked 574 Times in 444 Posts
Smartest? Dunno, but all of the children are above average for sure.

You searched long and hard for this league, and it took you to a previously forbidden fringe, but the baggage you brought with you about what is straight and what isn't is preventing you from embracing a new experience. Sigh.
Old 07-02-19, 08:39 AM
diphthong

Bikes: 85 pinarello treviso steel, 88 nishiki olympic steel. 95 look kg 131 carbon, 11 trek madone 5.2 carbon

traveling light these days. lost too many bags during the sprints and climbs of life.
Old 07-02-19, 09:41 AM
slcbob
bored of "Senior Member"

I wish! I could stand to lose a few bags of groceries to make the climbs of life a little easier.

I vaguely recall a meritorious whooping administered with vigor due in some small part to mastery of the transfer feature, aka being minimally above average enough to realize it even exists. Was that last year in one of the games in the blur of the fall out from ASO-induced VeloGamernobyl? I understand why you would be reluctant to revisit that.
Old 07-02-19, 12:58 PM
MinnMan

Bikes: 2022 Salsa Beargrease Carbon Deore 11, 2020 Salsa Warbird GRX 600, 2020 Canyon Ultimate CF SLX disc 9.0 Di2, 2020 Catrike Eola, 2016 Masi cxgr, 2011, Felt F3 Ltd, 2010 Trek 2.1, 2009 KHS Flite 220

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 4258 Post(s)
Liked 2,934 Times in 1,809 Posts
Maybe with the overall greater interest in the TdF, this problem will take care of itself. Or maybe this is a hopeless request, but here it goes.

Would it be possible to separate the Fantasy League thread from the general discussion thread? Perhaps I'm the only one, but I care about the race and don't care about the fantasy league stuff. In recent events, the fantasy league stuff has dominated "Fantasy and General Discussion" threads, so I just skip them.

Why not two different threads: "TdF- fantasy" and "TdF- general discussion"?
Old 07-02-19, 04:20 PM
slcbob
bored of "Senior Member"

I checked with the thread police. They're fine with you opening up a TdF thread for general discussion, @MinnMan. Or several.

You need not indulge here in @ooga-booga's perverse fantasies.
Old 07-02-19, 06:52 PM
2cam16

Bikes: TRIMMED DOWN THE HERD

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 1088 Post(s)
Liked 926 Times in 593 Posts
In to get kicked in the butt the next three weeks. lol
Old 07-02-19, 08:33 PM
MinnMan

Bikes: 2022 Salsa Beargrease Carbon Deore 11, 2020 Salsa Warbird GRX 600, 2020 Canyon Ultimate CF SLX disc 9.0 Di2, 2020 Catrike Eola, 2016 Masi cxgr, 2011, Felt F3 Ltd, 2010 Trek 2.1, 2009 KHS Flite 220

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 4258 Post(s)
Liked 2,934 Times in 1,809 Posts
Originally Posted by slcbob
I checked with the thread police. They're fine with you opening up a TdF thread for general discussion, @MinnMan. Or several.

Yeah, thanks. I can do that. For the Tour, there's room for multiple threads. For the less-followed races, there's less going on in here.
Old 07-02-19, 08:37 PM
diphthong

the problem usually takes care of itself. there are always/will be a multitude of tdf/tdf related threads like "did you catch valverde's side eye on the podium?!" and
"bernal's already over the hill at age 22..." and "stage 4-cav takes it!! oh wait..he doesn't since he not there." it's not like the fantasy dorks eschew all other professional cycling threads
during the corresponding tour de whatthehell. we welcome non-fantasy dorks and non-dorks too. participate as you see fit or don't. every year in july, the professional cycling for the fans
forum is rife with duplicate/similar threads and quiescent the other eleven months.
Old 07-02-19, 08:41 PM
diphthong

i only wanted to see jan ulrich in lampre or mapei kit for one race. one stinkin race. was that too much to ask for?
Old 07-03-19, 12:37 AM
diphthong

Originally Posted by MinnMan
Yeah, thanks. I can do that. For the Tour, there's room for multiple threads. For the less-followed races, there's less going on in here.
funny because the giro and (especially) the vuelta usually beat the tdf like an old rug needing to be cleared of dirt/dust. methinx this could be the best tour in nearly two decades tho.
the vuelta is shaping up to be-i daresay-epic as well.

Last edited by diphthong; 07-03-19 at 12:41 AM.
Old 07-03-19, 03:58 AM
slcbob
bored of "Senior Member"

Originally Posted by ooga-booga
there are transfers (a maximum of 30 during the entire game) but in the spirit of only dancing with the one ya brung, i propose a "straight" (no jokes please) league free of transfers.
less hassle for sure. i'll take feedback and if the majority want xfers, then fine.
+1 to that. Despite my knee jerk prodding and reminiscing of past transfer-fueled magnificence, I'm all for the KISS rule on this Big 5 little game.

Clearly that means we'll all get crushed in the overall. I'm content with simply being the cream of the crap.

I may reinvest some of the energy I save from not transferring there into:
a) the NBC game with real prizes awarded. I see announcements for NBC but the URL isn't working right now. I assume it is the same as prior years, with real prizes awarded and easy enough. Suggestion: game the 4 stage "practice" period then settle in.
b) the Eurosport league. No idea about it yet.

Out of deference to our host here, while I do urge the usual suspects to sign up to enable future infidelity, I will not post any alternate league invites until after Le Gran Depart. Keep this the main league. @ooga-booga tends to do so poorly in Le Tour he needs a little help from the obscure game with no budget, with the transferphobia floater. Brace for the Battle of Little Big 5 Horn. To the victor goes spoiled something.
Old 07-03-19, 07:06 PM
GrainBrain

Bikes: LeMond Zurich, Giant Talon 29er

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1218 Post(s)
Liked 609 Times in 458 Posts
Okay I'm in. No idea what I'm doing, got my riders picked and two teams.
Old 07-04-19, 01:29 AM
CarterRam

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by GrainBrain
lol
Old 07-04-19, 04:27 AM
diphthong

you're already in the lead for the simple fact of being unladen by any historical or blackmailing baggage. welcome and good luck/bon chance!
Old 07-04-19, 04:48 AM
diphthong

+1 to that. Despite my knee jerk prodding and reminiscing of past transfer-fueled magnificence, I'm all for the KISS rule on this Big 5 little game.

Clearly that means we'll all get crushed in the overall. I'm content with simply being the cream of the crap.

a) the NBC game with real prizes awarded. I see announcements for NBC but the URL isn't working right now. I assume it is the same as prior years, with real prizes awarded and easy enough. Suggestion: game the 4 stage "practice" period then settle in.

Out of deference to our host here, while I do urge the usual suspects to sign up to enable future infidelity, I will not post any alternate league invites until after Le Gran Depart. Keep this the main league. @ooga-booga tends to do so poorly in Le Tour he needs a little help from the obscure game with no budget, with the transferphobia floater. Brace for the Battle of Little Big 5 Horn. To the victor goes spoiled something.

i am under exactly zero illusions about my tour "performances." i could receive a combined benediction (and insider trading info) from
messrs (bouncer) hinault, (cannibalistic) merckx, (toto's "africa") coppi, (mineral water) anquetil, pou-pou poulidor, leaden lemond, fly eagle fly bahamontes,
professor fignon, froom(i)e wagon, matrix lance, pastry jan, tricky dicky, put your hands down zabel, (everyone's riding against me) sagan and cuddles cadel
and still come in dfl. george custer be damned...oh wait...it's go time. prepare to avert your gaze from the inevitable and historically confirmed two-pronged attack
of horrible results and horrible predictions over the course of these special three weeks in juillet. everyone loves to watch a good david lean styled train wreck, don't they?

Last edited by diphthong; 07-04-19 at 04:52 AM.
Old 07-04-19, 09:54 AM
GrainBrain

Bikes: LeMond Zurich, Giant Talon 29er

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1218 Post(s)
Liked 609 Times in 458 Posts
Any strategy to picking your riders? Do you pick a sprinter knowing your getting points maybe only a third of the race, same with climbers? Do you just stack with all rounders, or build a more balanced team? I did a more standard team with a sprinter, a couple mountain guys, a GC candidate, and a couple "classics" riders. Still fine tuning, really feel like I should have one French Continental rider. I had Calmejane but swapped him out for Dan Martin.

Have Uran, because obviously this is his year for yellow.

I'm confused why I cannot select Lawson Craddock or Taylor Phinney. EF is getting all serious this year

Last edited by GrainBrain; 07-04-19 at 09:59 AM.
Old 07-04-19, 11:11 AM
dstrong 

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix, Interloc Impala, ParkPre Image C6

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 254 Post(s)
Liked 86 Times in 56 Posts
In. I kinda like this format? I think? Thanks for keeping it simple...I'll rely on my choices all the way to Paris!

2014 Specialized Roubaix2003 Interloc Impala2007 ParkPre Image C6 (RIP)

Old 07-04-19, 02:29 PM
slcbob
bored of "Senior Member"

Any strategy to picking your riders? Do you pick a sprinter knowing your getting points maybe only a third of the race, same with climbers? Do you just stack with all rounders, or build a more balanced team? I did a more standard team with a sprinter, a couple mountain guys, a GC candidate, and a couple "classics" riders. Still fine tuning, really feel like I should have one French Continental rider. I had Calmejane but swapped him out for Dan Martin.

Have Uran, because obviously this is his year for yellow.

I'm confused why I cannot select Lawson Craddock or Taylor Phinney. EF is getting all serious this year
Yeah, that sounds about right. Ponder a lot. Make some decisions. Then second-guess them.

A good m.o. for the Tour is to do the opposite of what @ooga-booga does. Maybe copy a little from @dstrong. And ignore me.
Old 07-04-19, 05:38 PM
slcbob
bored of "Senior Member"

So what do you think? Is Wout van Aert going to be consumed as a domestique for GroainingWagon and the Human Coat Hanger? Or is he going to break out and crush it on these lumpy stages?

I used to be indecisive. Now I'm not so sure.

This league has a different scoring mentality. I probably shouldn't have said anything because a bunch of the Dumas clan (French for youse guys) may not even bother checking the scoring system. But it's no fun beating up on all the children unless at least a few of them are above average.
Old 07-05-19, 02:14 AM
Caretaker
Heretic

Bikes: Specialized Sirrus, Giant OCR3, Giant CRS3

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 2827 Post(s)
Liked 561 Times in 429 Posts
F--k fantasy, reality starts Saturday.
Old 07-05-19, 02:53 AM
diphthong

and in belgium at that. what are the odds? time for stage one predictions...i'll start the proceedings off so that everyone else will look good.
three sweeping turns inside the protected last 3 kms will surely initiate a pileup/speedbump or two and may immediately outsource another
rider or three to the vuelta. wanna say sagan but going with ewan to successfully negotiate the nonsense ftw.

Last edited by diphthong; 07-05-19 at 04:26 AM.
Old 07-05-19, 03:50 AM
diphthong

So what do you think? Is Wout van Aert going to be consumed as a domestique for GroainingWagon and the Human Coat Hanger? Or is he going to break out and crush it on these lumpy stages?

I used to be indecisive. Now I'm not so sure.

This league has a different scoring mentality. I probably shouldn't have said anything because a bunch of the Dumas clan (French for youse guys) may not even bother checking the scoring system. But it's no fun beating up on all the children unless at least a few of them are above average.
possibly. the ttt on stage two will inject a dose of reality for a few contenders. ditto on stages 5 and 6. kruijsin could be reblochon toast by then and
he hasn't done much since going tony montana and crashing hard into a snowbank italian-style. team j(unior) v(arsity) could conceivably cut loose mother goose
and let woot wout run amuck, joining the best segment of hitmen riders in the peleton at the moment. the "classics" style riders are currently killing it and
there's so many it's hard to select just five. when gva is close to being relegated to second division, you know you've got some decent contracts/depth there.
i think dee gee is the best pure sprinter on a flattish/slightly downhill/very slightly uphill finish in the peleton currently but it seems like some of the "sprinter" stages available
this annum are better suited to certain hardmen. shall be fascinating...

i'd like to post a clip here of the various johnsons from the movie blazing saddles but simply saving the legs for bigger battles.

Last edited by diphthong; 07-05-19 at 04:13 AM.
Old 07-05-19, 04:21 AM
diphthong

post anything and everything. the more the merrier. bring the chaos. since when does slcbob exercise (prior) restraint? i must have missed that (corporate/corporal) memo.
Old 07-05-19, 04:38 AM
Lemond1985
Sophomore Member

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1628 Post(s)
Liked 1,057 Times in 631 Posts

Last edited by Lemond1985; 07-05-19 at 04:57 AM.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.