Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Training & Nutrition
Reload this Page >

Elderly protein intake riding and off days

Notices
Training & Nutrition Learn how to develop a training schedule that's good for you. What should you eat and drink on your ride? Learn everything you need to know about training and nutrition here.

Elderly protein intake riding and off days

Old 07-30-19, 11:26 AM
Carbonfiberboy 
just another gosling

Bikes: CoMo Speedster 2003, Trek 5200, CAAD 9, Fred 2004

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3878 Post(s)
Liked 1,929 Times in 1,377 Posts
Originally Posted by Daniel4
These days, it's so hot that on long rides, I find myself buying smoothies and other junk to refresh and cool off. I'm sure the calories of these things easily exceed 300 to 400 which happens to be the calories burned on a one hour bike ride (my app measured it). What happens to the sugar and empty calories for someone who's physically active? Does it still turn to visceral fat? Or is it all burned off and I'm all good? I somehow doubt that.
On a 1 hour bike ride, please, don't eat anything. It's only an hour. Surely we can all go without eating for one hour. Cool off with plain water, doesn't even need to be cold. Sweating on the bike is what cools you. Feel hot? Ride on.

To get a little more into the sugar/bike thing, yes, you can eat sugar etc. on the bike on long rides with absolutely no negatives. I just did a 10 hour bike ride and ate about 1500 calories of pure maltodextrin (a much faster carb than pure sugar) and whey protein, mixed 7 malto/1 protein. I burned about 4000 calories and lost ~ 1.5 lbs., a lot of that water from breaking down glycogen. A few days later, I was back at my pre-ride weight. That's what normal looks like. Try not to eat more than 1/2 your burn, figuring 40 calories/mile. Eat mostly carbs on the bike.
Old 07-30-19, 07:39 PM
Daniel4

Bikes: Sekine 1979 ten speed racer

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1480 Post(s)
Liked 639 Times in 437 Posts
Originally Posted by Carbonfiberboy
On a 1 hour bike ride, please, don't eat anything. It's only an hour. Surely we can all go without eating for one hour. Cool off with plain water, doesn't even need to be cold. Sweating on the bike is what cools you. Feel hot? Ride on.

To get a little more into the sugar/bike thing, yes, you can eat sugar etc. on the bike on long rides with absolutely no negatives. I just did a 10 hour bike ride and ate about 1500 calories of pure maltodextrin (a much faster carb than pure sugar) and whey protein, mixed 7 malto/1 protein. I burned about 4000 calories and lost ~ 1.5 lbs., a lot of that water from breaking down glycogen. A few days later, I was back at my pre-ride weight. That's what normal looks like. Try not to eat more than 1/2 your burn, figuring 40 calories/mile. Eat mostly carbs on the bike.
The 1 hour is actually one-way to get to where I'm going. It's in the morning so it's not so bad. When I return, I eat a light lunch and it's in the sweltering afternoon when I'm drinking the smoothies.

But thanks for the reply. It makes me feel better. Initially, I carried my lunch and snacks with me but they just added extra weight. So I'd rather just buy the food. It's the purchased and processed food that's full of excess sugar, excess salt and it's usually fried that had me worried. And then there are reports that say reward foods after a good workout completely negates all the fat you burned exercising.

Last edited by Daniel4; 07-30-19 at 07:46 PM.
Old 07-30-19, 08:24 PM
rm -rf
don't try this at home.

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 972 Post(s)
Liked 509 Times in 349 Posts
Those "protein" drinks mentioned, Boost or Ensure, are mostly sugar. I suppose they are good for a person that just doesn't feel like preparing food or even has much appetite. I don't see why a cyclist would drink them.

Boost:
Water, Glucose Syrup, Sugar, Milk Protein Concentrate, and Less than 2% of Vegetable Oil,... etc

Ensure:
Water, Corn Maltodextrin, Sugar, Milk Protein Concentrate, Blend of Vegetable Oils (Canola, Corn), Soy Protein Isolate, Cocoa Powder (Processed with Alkali). Less than 0.5% of: Nonfat Milk, ...etc
Old 07-30-19, 09:42 PM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 129 Post(s)
Quoted: 4782 Post(s)
Liked 3,900 Times in 2,537 Posts
What I read and practiced more than 40 years was that, for endurance athletes, once the body building has been done, protein requirements are not large and in fact, excessive protein impacts muscle recovery simply because digesting protein monopolizes blood oxygen that would otherwise be used for rebuilding muscle tissue. My recent times of good form and strong riding have also been times of watching what I eat, in part to keep protein intake down.

Ben
Old 07-31-19, 12:11 AM
terrymorse 
climber has-been

Bikes: Scott Addict R1, Felt Z1

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 3401 Post(s)
Liked 3,531 Times in 1,776 Posts
Originally Posted by 79pmooney
What I read and practiced more than 40 years was that, for endurance athletes, once the body building has been done, protein requirements are not large
Protein requirements for endurance athletes do not change much as fitness grows. It’s governed instead by training volume. Recommendation is 1.2-1.4 grams per kilogram per typical training day, 1.6-1.8 on longer training days.

Aerobic exercise consumes protein. After 2 hours of exercise, about 15% of the body’s energy comes from protein. Lacking a food source of protein, the body gets it from breaking down muscle, in a process called gluconeogenesis.

Last edited by terrymorse; 07-31-19 at 11:36 AM. Reason: typo correction
Old 07-31-19, 10:28 AM
Carbonfiberboy 
just another gosling

Originally Posted by Daniel4
The 1 hour is actually one-way to get to where I'm going. It's in the morning so it's not so bad. When I return, I eat a light lunch and it's in the sweltering afternoon when I'm drinking the smoothies.

But thanks for the reply. It makes me feel better. Initially, I carried my lunch and snacks with me but they just added extra weight. So I'd rather just buy the food. It's the purchased and processed food that's full of excess sugar, excess salt and it's usually fried that had me worried. And then there are reports that say reward foods after a good workout completely negates all the fat you burned exercising.
This may be no help at all, but at least it's true, vaguely interesting, and germane to this thread:

Decades ago, I had a vegetarian employee who decided, for environmental reasons (he as a smart guy), to ride his bike the 16 hilly miles each way to work and back 5 days/week. The first week was fine, but by the end of the second week he was feeling tired and his legs hurt all the time. I told him to make up 2 pint bottles of 15g whey protein with about half as much sugar, put them in the fridge, to do this every evening, to leave one in the fridge and to bring the other to work on his bike. Each bottle to be drunk immediately upon arrival. Fixed him right up, no further issues. Being vegetarian, he had no need of further carbs, but he was low on protein. Hill riding does plenty of damage, especially if one is not used to it. Being the usual environmental nutcase of the day, I think he actually used about twice as much hemp protein or some such. Stuff was green, looked pretty disgusting. He's a German Buddhist, studied monkhood in Thailand, where he ate the monks' leavings. Interesting person.
Old 07-31-19, 01:50 PM
redlude97

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 1975 Post(s)
Liked 232 Times in 173 Posts
Originally Posted by rm -rf
Those "protein" drinks mentioned, Boost or Ensure, are mostly sugar. I suppose they are good for a person that just doesn't feel like preparing food or even has much appetite. I don't see why a cyclist would drink them.

Boost:
Water, Glucose Syrup, Sugar, Milk Protein Concentrate, and Less than 2% of Vegetable Oil,... etc

Ensure:
Water, Corn Maltodextrin, Sugar, Milk Protein Concentrate, Blend of Vegetable Oils (Canola, Corn), Soy Protein Isolate, Cocoa Powder (Processed with Alkali). Less than 0.5% of: Nonfat Milk, ...etc
whats wrong with sugar if you can control CICO? Its the easiest way to restore glycogen
Old 07-31-19, 03:11 PM
wolfchild
Banned

Bikes: I have 3 singlespeed/fixed gear bikes

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 4227 Post(s)
Liked 2,488 Times in 1,286 Posts
I was reading that as we become older our bodies become less efficient at absorbing protein. So and elderly person who exercises will have greater protein needs...Protein powder isn't a replacement for real food and it's best to get the bulk of your daily protein from real food...Drinking protein shakes all day long and not doing resistance training isn't going build muscle and prevent muscle loss.... You need to use those muscles and do resistance training to prevent muscle loss.
Old 07-31-19, 03:53 PM
Carbonfiberboy 
just another gosling

Originally Posted by rm -rf

Boost:

Ensure:
My wife eats (drinks) only Ensure on the bike, about 25 miles/bottle. I have a buddy who did PBP on Ensure. Good stuff. That's why.