Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Re-using bar tape

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-19, 08:23 PM
Irenicus

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Re-using bar tape

I had purchased some bar tape and had it put on my bike, then decided I didn't like it and had it removed within 2 days. Is the tape basically garbage now? I was considering re-selling it but one guy told me you can't possibly re-use it. It's Supacaz tape and it has an adhesive on the back.. maybe it's dried up? I don't know. Thanks.
Old 07-18-19, 08:27 PM
_ForceD_
Sr Member on Sr bikes

Bikes: Several...from old junk to new all-carbon.

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1017 Post(s)
Liked 783 Times in 413 Posts
I re-use bar tape all the time. I operate six or seven old road bikes. If/when I change them up I will unravel the tape and, if it's intact, will roll it up to use another day on another bike.

And...truth be told...bar tape doesn't need to be "bar tape" at all. I sometimes make my own out of materials/colors that I prefer.

But...reselling the tape you used as "new" doesn't seem fair since it isn't in "new" condition...unless you priced it as such.

Dan
Old 07-18-19, 08:36 PM
Fahrenheit531 
52psi

Bikes: Schwinn Volare ('78); Raleigh Competition GS ('79)

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 790 Post(s)
Liked 801 Times in 390 Posts
Reselling? Not a great plan unless you go rock-bottom pricing and even then you'll probably find no takers.

I routinely unwrap tape to swap out a stem, brake levers or hoods, or to run new brake cables/housing for aero levers, then reuse it. The key to success there is paying attention to how it was wrapped before removal, as the tape will stretch and deform -- particularly at the brake levers -- and unless the rewrap matches up pretty closely it'll look like hell.
A race bike in any era is a highly personal choice that at its "best" balances the requirements of fit, weight, handling, durability and cost tempered by the willingness to toss it and oneself down the pavement at considerable speed. ~Bandera
Likes For Fahrenheit531:
Old 07-18-19, 08:44 PM
August West

Bikes: Domane SLR7 Project One

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 152 Post(s)
Liked 173 Times in 105 Posts
When I purchased my current bike the bike shop swapped out the handlebars from 42cm to 44cm for me. When I went to pick it up they were still working on it and I saw they were going to reuse the tape. I was surprised since I didn't know you could reuse the tape but it came out as good as new and so far through almost 4 months of riding you wouldn't never know it was reused. As far as selling it though, good luck with that.
Old 07-19-19, 03:41 AM
datlas 
Should Be More Popular

Bikes: 1986 Alpine (steel road bike), 2009 Ti Habenero, 2013 Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 560 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22572 Post(s)
Liked 8,918 Times in 4,152 Posts
It’s like your used underwear.

You can keep reusing it, but NOBODY else wants it.
Old 07-19-19, 03:49 AM
Kabuki12

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 872 Post(s)
Liked 2,270 Times in 1,272 Posts
I had stopped by a friends shop and was talking to him while he was dismantling an old road bike. I noticed the handlebars and stem were Cinelli and offered to purchase them. He agreed and took the Brooks leather bar tape off carefully which looked new. I offered him an extra $5 for the tape and it is still on one of my bikes. The only thing is that the tape had a "memory" to it in that it was formed a certain way which made it tricky to get it just right. A few days on the bike and it gets shaped a certain way , but still very usable. Joe joesvintageroadbikes.wordpress
Old 07-19-19, 04:07 AM
CliffordK

Mentioned: 217 Post(s)
Quoted: 18350 Post(s)
Liked 4,502 Times in 3,346 Posts
Originally Posted by Irenicus
It's Supacaz tape and it has an adhesive on the back..
I find adhesive backed tape rarely comes off cleanly, but I'm usually not removing "new" tape either.

Non-adhesive tape is usually fine, so I wouldn't worry too much about your adhesive.

Anyway, if your tape came off cleanly, and you've managed to put the protective strip back on the adhesive, then it can probably be re-used.

It looks like your tape was quite expensive tape, but don't expect to get a fortune from the resale. Somewhere between FREE & $10 ???
Old 07-19-19, 04:27 AM
mcours2006

Bikes: ...a few.

Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Quoted: 2010 Post(s)
Liked 408 Times in 234 Posts
Originally Posted by datlas

Plus it's got all that crap on it.
Likes For mcours2006:
Old 07-19-19, 05:06 AM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 3654 Post(s)
Liked 5,392 Times in 2,737 Posts
If you find a buyer for used bar tape, please post. Got some stuff....
Likes For shelbyfv:
Old 07-19-19, 05:33 AM
Brocephus
Professional amateur

Bikes: Does a Big Wheel count ?

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 302 Post(s)
Liked 136 Times in 92 Posts
I had to replace a jacked up right shifter recently, and I wrapped the old bar tape around it, and I must've followed the original wrap pattern fairly closely, because it looks pretty good. BTW, this had some adhesive on the back, too.
So, I vote for re-using it, if at all possible. If you get another year or three out of it, then it's money in the bank. Worse case, it looks like crap so you yank it and put on some new stuff. No biggie.
Old 07-19-19, 11:07 AM
Koyote

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Quoted: 6935 Post(s)
Liked 10,940 Times in 4,674 Posts
Yes, you can re-use bar tape.

No, no one will want to buy it from you.
Likes For Koyote:
Old 07-19-19, 11:44 AM
ksryder

Bikes: yes

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 1281 Post(s)
Liked 643 Times in 329 Posts

You wouldn't think so, but...

Weird Stuff | Steve Tilford
Old 07-19-19, 12:16 PM
surak

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix, Canyon Inflite AL SLX, Ibis Ripley AF, Priority Continuum Onyx, Santana Vision, Kent Dual-Drive Tandem

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 871 Post(s)
Liked 726 Times in 436 Posts
My LBS wrapped the tops of my bars the wrong way and too close to the stem, making it nearly impossible to attach the headlight I wanted to take on STP. I was too lazy to do anything about it for 2 months but decided the day before the ride to re-wrap it. Even though it had stretched in its previous direction, I managed to wrap it the correct way just fine. It's even easier to reuse tape when you aren't changing the wrap pattern.
Old 07-19-19, 12:26 PM
Kedosto
Callipygian Connoisseur

Quoted: 564 Post(s)
Liked 350 Times in 190 Posts

Used underwear is a HUGE market. Just not yours,

-Kedosto
*mine either*
Old 07-19-19, 01:34 PM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 3654 Post(s)
Liked 5,392 Times in 2,737 Posts
Originally Posted by surak
My LBS wrapped the tops of my bars the wrong way....
Very strange, you'd think they would have that figured. Hope you corrected them!
Old 07-19-19, 01:51 PM
surak

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix, Canyon Inflite AL SLX, Ibis Ripley AF, Priority Continuum Onyx, Santana Vision, Kent Dual-Drive Tandem

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 871 Post(s)
Liked 726 Times in 436 Posts
Originally Posted by shelbyfv
Very strange, you'd think they would have that figured. Hope you corrected them!
They've treated me well, so I never brought it up. And to be honest, if it weren't bunched up next to the stem after they swapped the OEM bar for a narrower one I provided a few weeks after I bought the bike, I might not have noticed or cared enough until it was time for new tape.

I'm guessing that the tape job happened when the bike was assembled for me to test ride on short notice, and they just reused the tape with the same wrap pattern after the bar swap.
Old 07-19-19, 01:52 PM
Hondo Gravel
Life Feeds On Life

Bikes: Too many Motobecanes

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 4407 Post(s)
Liked 4,521 Times in 3,023 Posts
I had purchased some bar tape and had it put on my bike, then decided I didn't like it and had it removed within 2 days. Is the tape basically garbage now? I was considering re-selling it but one guy told me you can't possibly re-use it. It's Supacaz tape and it has an adhesive on the back.. maybe it's dried up? I don't know. Thanks.
Reminds me of a friend that brought over freezer burned chicken and ice that smelled like fish. He thought he was doing me a favor.
Old 07-19-19, 03:27 PM
Slightspeed

Bikes: 1964 Legnano Roma Olympiade, 1973 Raleigh Super Course, 1978 Raleigh Super Course, 1978 Peugeot PR10, 2002 Specialized Allez, 2007 Specialized Roubaix, 2013 Culprit Croz Blade

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 741 Post(s)
Liked 818 Times in 421 Posts
I've re-used bar tape several times on several bikes, but I wouldn't try to sell it.

I re-used this faded red foam tape to remain within $100 Clunker Challenge budget restraints.

Re-used ugly camo tape until brake lever poditions were finalized. Camo pattern doesn't show fading or discoloration as much.
Old 07-19-19, 05:51 PM
Last ride 76 
1/2 as far in 2x the time

Bikes: Yes, Please.

Quoted: 499 Post(s)
Liked 285 Times in 222 Posts
Originally Posted by Hondo Gravel
Reminds me of a friend that brought over freezer burned chicken and ice that smelled like fish. He thought he was doing me a favor.
Freezer burned chicken, ok, it happens, I'm ignoring a package of it in my own refrigerator as I write this.
However, I can't think of a single drink that ice smelling of fish would improve...

I think there may be a thread waiting to be born... Perhaps in combination with "Florida Man"
Old 07-20-19, 11:24 AM
spinnaker
Every day a winding road

Bikes: 2005 Cannondale SR500, 2008 Trek 7.3 FX, Jamis Aurora

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 3394 Post(s)
Liked 63 Times in 46 Posts

After your grimy sweaty hands have been all over it?

You question was really meant as a joke right? Please tell us it was meant as a joke.
Old 07-20-19, 11:37 AM
CliffordK

Mentioned: 217 Post(s)
Quoted: 18350 Post(s)
Liked 4,502 Times in 3,346 Posts
My LBS wrapped the tops of my bars the wrong way and too close to the stem, making it nearly impossible to attach the headlight I wanted to take on STP. I was too lazy to do anything about it for 2 months but decided the day before the ride to re-wrap it. Even though it had stretched in its previous direction, I managed to wrap it the correct way just fine. It's even easier to reuse tape when you aren't changing the wrap pattern.
Somehow I seem to frequently wrap differently around the brake levers... so I frequently get some discoloration from use on the drops, and stripes on the tops (fresh/old parts of the tape).
Old 07-21-19, 05:51 PM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 4559 Post(s)
Liked 2,802 Times in 1,800 Posts
If you want to reuse bar wrap, get some Arundel Synth Gecko. No adhesive. Doesn't take a set or permanent curl. It's 100% silicone, stretchy, durable, can be cleaned and reused. Comfy on chipseal and grippy even with sweaty mitts.

Downside? It's thick and wraps chunky. Looks like a gooseneck lamp neck, or flexible metal electrical conduit material. Or like a sausage. And it's heavy, so it's not for weight weenies.

Pricey at $30-$35, but worth it for the advantages.
Old 07-21-19, 11:54 PM
Geekage

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked 28 Times in 21 Posts
I've been going back and forth between hydraulic and cable brakes on my bike. I must have reused the same tape over four or five swaps. Still seems to be fine, even when I ignore the "set" the tape has taken.

I figure if the adhesive ever does start to slip, I can always just put a layer of carpet tape on the bar.

Okay, let's count the changes:
  1. Initial use with cable brakes
  2. Upgrade to hydraulics
  3. Switch back to cables while the hydraulics were being warrantied
  4. Brand new hydraulic levers
  5. Switch to cable preparing to sell bike (sale fell through)
  6. Switch from 10sp to 11sp with cable brakes
  7. Switch back to 10sp because that was a wider range cassette
  8. Switch to 11sp hydraulic (and new cassette)
It sure seems like Cinelli cork ribbon has changed. The adhesive on the older stuff seemed to stick to the bars better and the tape would rip. Now, I guess the tape substrate is a lot more polyurethane with just a bit of cork in it, so it doesn't tear apart.

Or maybe it's the powder coated bar I'm using now? And the adhesive doesn't stick as well as with bare aluminum?

Or maybe I'm more of a slob and my hands now get more oil and grease on the bar, weakening the adhesive.

One thing I really should do is replace the electrical tape on both the bar tape ends and the pieces holding the cables down under the bar tape.
Old 07-22-19, 10:24 AM
Wilfred Laurier
Señor Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 649 Post(s)
Liked 292 Times in 215 Posts
Same as @Geekage, I re-wrap with used tape if I have to get at my brake cables or some other emergent circumstance where I need my bar naked but don't have new tape. If I am planning a larger repair where I will need the bars unwrapped, I take the opportunity to buy and install new tape.

I can't imagine anyone buying used handlebar tape - that's kinda gross. Just keep it in a ziplock bag with your other spare parts and you can re-use it if the need arises - ie. tape is torn or damaged in a crash or when trying to unwrap to get at your cables. Or if you are planning on selling the bike, the fresh tape will make it look like new, even if you don't like it.
Old 07-22-19, 11:40 AM
Koyote

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Quoted: 6935 Post(s)
Liked 10,940 Times in 4,674 Posts
STP = Seattle to Portland? Great ride. I did it (one day option) in 2009. Lost my sunglasses at the start (Husky Stadium parking lot) and it was a warm dry day, so my eyes hurt like heck by the finish.

I know there is a "correct" way to wrap the tops, but I have noticed that, in practice, it stays put just fine no matter which way it's wrapped - as long as it's wrapped good and tight. But if you need to mount a headlight, yeah, they need to stop short of the stem.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.