Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

24-speed to 7-speed

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

24-speed to 7-speed

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-19, 10:23 PM
BigBoi

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
24-speed to 7-speed

so recently i found myself climbing up a hill and getting confused with the gears making the pedaling heavier and causing me to do the walk of shame

to combat this ive decided to switch my bike over from a 24 speed to a 7 speed with grip shift. Im like 80% i wont be able to mess something as easy as grip shifting up

ive been having trouble finding a crankset though. Im not to sure what im looking for.

so my question to you guys is. If i were getting a 12-32t cassette, what kind of single speed crankset would be best in that situation?

parts ive purchased for the change:

Shimano 7-speed CS-HG200-7 (12-32)

Shimano Altus Mountain Bike Rear Derailleur - Direct Mount - RDM310

Shimano 7-speed right twist shifter

No chain yet

all for a giant cypress lx (2005)

Last edited by BigBoi; 07-29-19 at 10:34 PM.
Old 07-29-19, 10:43 PM
Bike Gremlin
Mostly harmless ™

Bikes: Heavy, with friction shifters

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1107 Post(s)
Liked 216 Times in 130 Posts
Use this - both to enter your current gearing and to "experiment" with the new gearing different front chainring sizes:

https://www.gear-calculator.com

It will show you comparable data, so you can decide for yourself.

Though I'd say practise shifting - it becomes 2nd nature for most people. Don't think 1x7 compared to 3x8 has much benefits, especially if you ride hills as well.

My 2c on pros and cons of 1x systems:
https://bike.bikegremlin.com/6075/pr...psets-systems/
Old 07-29-19, 11:22 PM
BigBoi

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks for your input and that helpful site

and i Guess youre right, maybe ill just switch to grip shifting and keep the 24 gears
Old 07-29-19, 11:32 PM
LesterOfPuppets
cowboy, steel horse, etc

Bikes: everywhere

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12768 Post(s)
Liked 7,683 Times in 4,078 Posts
I'd have stuck with 8speed also.

Shimano 7sp grip shifters are pretty bad.

Sram Attack 8sp Gripshifts are among the best.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/SRAM-attack...4383.l4275.c10

I have trigger on the left and gripshift on the right of my MTB and like that setup.
Old 07-30-19, 01:39 AM
rseeker

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 318 Post(s)
Liked 149 Times in 104 Posts
I also ride hills and have grip shifters which I like just fine. One thing I had to learn was how not to accidentally shift while gripping the bar on a hard climb because --> aww **** --> Walk of Shame.

I wrapped some extra thick padding around each of the grip ends which feels nice and also gives a nice little divider between the gripping part and the shifting part so my hands always know where they are without looking.

I also agree, depending on which 8 gears and which 7 gears you're talking about, you might well be better off with 8 gears in back. Just shift to the small chainring in front as you start uphill and don't touch the front shifter during the climb.
Old 07-30-19, 06:26 AM
Kapusta
Advanced Slacker

Bikes: Soma Fog Cutter, Surly Wednesday, Canfielld Tilt

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 2762 Post(s)
Liked 2,537 Times in 1,433 Posts
I would have gone 8sp, but since you already have the parts....

Are the chainrings on your current cranks separate and removable, or all riveted together? If they are removable you could just remove two of them (the inner and outer). After that, there are a few options under $50 for chain retention if that becomes an issue.

Or just do like you say and leave the front rings and see if the switch to gripshift helps. I am a little doubtful it will, you still need to learn and remember which way to twist it.
Old 07-30-19, 06:40 AM
LesterOfPuppets
cowboy, steel horse, etc

Originally Posted by rseeker
I also ride hills and have grip shifters which I like just fine. One thing I had to learn was how not to accidentally shift while gripping the bar on a hard climb because --> aww **** --> Walk of Shame.
I have that trouble if I run short gripshift grips, so i use full length grips, maybe cut off 1/4".
Likes For LesterOfPuppets:
Old 07-30-19, 06:51 AM
Digger Goreman
Quidam Bike Super Hero

Bikes: 1995 Trek 800 Sport, aka, "CamelTrek"

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 331 Post(s)
Liked 415 Times in 282 Posts
It's an art, but "anticipation shifting" is what I call myself doing. Example: as I approach the small downhill to a parking lot, I shift to fd/rd 2/7 for the push. As I approach the steep hill on the other end, I sequentially shift 2/4 then 1/4, 1/1 as I meet the steep climb (yeah, I'm "old" and have the rest of my commute to go).... This gets me up the hill. Likewise, on my commute home, I know that a long downhill portion will culminate in a stop sign, probable long wait, and that I will be charging the next hill to the stop sign. At the beginning of the downhill, I am in 2/6, which is a good starting gear combo for me and what I will use in the first part of the climb.

I am not even a semi-pro-ish rider, but this works for me....
Old 07-30-19, 08:30 AM
HillRider

Bikes: '96 Litespeed Catalyst, '05 Litespeed Firenze, '06 Litespeed Tuscany, '20 Surly Midnight Special, All are 3x10. It is hilly around here!

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quoted: 2026 Post(s)
Liked 1,096 Times in 742 Posts
The "Walk of Shame" is unnecessary. Just turn around and go back down the hill, choose the right gear and ride up with pride.
Old 07-30-19, 08:40 AM
rseeker

When I got the bike with the grip shifters I had no idea how they worked. I had to make up mnemonics to keep it straight. It's mostly instinctive/habitual now, but if I go a month without much riding I can still get confused, maybe because each side works in a different direction.

Right-Rear:

Up and away (like a beautiful balloon)
Back down to the ground

Left-Front:

Pull up! (like the audible warning in a cockpit)
Push down (the airplane opposite of pulling up)
Old 07-30-19, 09:51 AM
Trakhak

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 2482 Post(s)
Liked 2,953 Times in 1,678 Posts
To echo some other posters, just practice shifting for a while. Best to do it away from traffic and away from big hills, with short laps on mildly rolling pavement.

Think of it this way: big ring = overdrive (down hills, pushing hard on level ground); middle ring = most riding (level ground, mild climbs); small ring = tougher climbs.

Gears on the rear: fine-tuning, to enable you to maintain roughly the same effort and pedal speed into wind and on rolling terrain.

Finally, here are the five stages I go through whenever I try to learn something new:

I'm confused.

I'm starting to get it.

I've got it.

I'm confident.

I'm so confident, I'm bored.

(Note: stage five is crucial.)
Old 07-30-19, 10:24 AM
LesterOfPuppets
cowboy, steel horse, etc

Originally Posted by rseeker
When I got the bike with the grip shifters I had no idea how they worked. I had to make up mnemonics to keep it straight. It's mostly instinctive/habitual now, but if I go a month without much riding I can still get confused, maybe because each side works in a different direction.

Right-Rear:

Up and away (like a beautiful balloon)
Back down to the ground
My favorite setup is pairing a Shimano-spaced rear Gripshift with a Shimano Rapid Rise rear derailleur. Then for the right side it feels more like a motorcycle - heading downhill, picking up speed, as you're twisting the throttle.
Old 07-30-19, 10:29 AM
rseeker

Originally Posted by LesterOfPuppets
My favorite setup is pairing a Shimano-spaced rear Gripshift with a Shimano Rapid Rise rear derailleur. Then for the right side it feels more like a motorcycle - heading downhill, picking up speed, as you're twisting the throttle.
I think I'd like that better. It seems a lot more natural to me as I think about it. I wonder why, since I've never driven a motorcycle. Now I'm going to have to think of other things I've used with a twist-controlled throttle.
Old 07-31-19, 01:03 PM
squirtdad

Bikes: Kirk Custom JK Special, '84 Team Miyata,(dura ace old school) 80?? SR Semi-Pro 600 Arabesque

Mentioned: 106 Post(s)
Quoted: 2338 Post(s)
Liked 2,822 Times in 1,541 Posts
Ok I am going to be that guy..... This is not a mechanical issue this is a skill issue. IMHO OP is is ahead keeping this current setup and learning how to use it.

The current 24 speed set up will give a better range and lower (easier) gearing for getting up hills

just practice on the flats, a lot as as noted, anticipate and shift earlier and spin rather than waiting to shift while mashing

try this and then return the parts

Old 07-31-19, 04:44 PM
AeroGut

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 254 Post(s)
Liked 182 Times in 141 Posts
I’ll second the rapid rise option. If you don’t ride frequently enough to train your brain, the rapid rise is a little easier because both sides turn in the same direction to get to a lower or higher gear.
On the other hand riding your bike more is less expensive than a new derailleur.
Old 07-31-19, 04:52 PM
caloso

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 2952 Post(s)
Liked 3,106 Times in 1,417 Posts
Originally Posted by BigBoi
so recently i found myself climbing up a hill and getting confused with the gears making the pedaling heavier and causing me to do the walk of shame

to combat this ive decided to switch my bike over from a 24 speed to a 7 speed with grip shift. Im like 80% i wont be able to mess something as easy as grip shifting up

ive been having trouble finding a crankset though. Im not to sure what im looking for.

so my question to you guys is. If i were getting a 12-32t cassette, what kind of single speed crankset would be best in that situation?

parts ive purchased for the change:

Shimano 7-speed CS-HG200-7 (12-32)

Shimano Altus Mountain Bike Rear Derailleur - Direct Mount - RDM310

Shimano 7-speed right twist shifter

No chain yet

all for a giant cypress lx (2005)
I understand the inclination to go 1x. I do not understand the inclination to go from an 8-speed cluster to a 7-speed cluster.