Go Back  Bike Forums > Community Connections > Introductions
Reload this Page >

New member, long time biker, RAGBRAI rider

Search
Notices
Introductions Welcome to the BikeForums community! Please introduce yourself to other forum members here.

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-19, 01:32 PM
wanko383

Bikes: 2015 Salsa Vaya, 1971 Schwinn Super Sport Retro Mod, 2013 Cannondale Synapse, Origin 8 Fat Bike, 1996 Gary Fisher MTB

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hello,

I live in the great state of Iowa (yep, the one with the RAGBRAI). I've done 7 of them so far.

How I ride: The first two were on "stick bikes" (no bags) and the last 5 have been self supported fully bagged endeavors. I prefer taking all of my stuff with me and traveling a little slower than flying by towns and missing out on possible fun. I like to say that "I ride for fun, not for fast". Our team can usually be found way in back having way more fun. Our motto is: "first place finishes last!" meaning that the later you finish the day, the more fun you likely had.

In addition to RAGBRAI, I also organize a 3 day self contained touring event called BOLD Tour (Bike Over Labor Day) which takes place, you guessed it, over Labor Day weekend. Including those two, I typically get at least 3 or 4 touring rides in per year.

I've recently purchased a fat bike and am looking forward to getting into that type of riding as well as possibly exploring mountain biking in the near future.

Mechanical abilities: I hold a Mechanical Engineering degree from Iowa State University (go Cyclones) and worked as an auto mechanic from the time I was 16 until I graduated college. I have volunteered at a bike Co Op for the last 5 years and learned a lot about bike mechanics there. I built my first touring bike from a 1971 Schwinn Super Sport adding all late model Ultegra components to a vintage frame. I saved the handle bars, seat, seat tube and fork. The rest was new. As it turns out, Super Sports don't make great touring bikes and so I've upgraded to a Salsa Vaya which I customized to be a medium touring bike.

Besides biking I enjoy kayaking, camping, cooking, snowboarding, disc golfing, and many other outdoor activities.

I'm happy to be part of the community and look forward to expanding my knowledge about the fascinating world of bicycles.

- Austin

Last edited by wanko383; 09-09-19 at 02:21 PM.
Old 08-08-19, 02:37 PM
TMonk
Not actually Tmonk

Bikes: road, track, mtb

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Quoted: 2630 Post(s)
Liked 3,144 Times in 1,654 Posts
Welcome Austin! And happy trails. I'd love to try touring someday myself, I think I'd dig it. I'm a competitive road/track/MTB racer and like to backpack and camp during my off-season.
Old 08-08-19, 02:45 PM
bikemig 

Bikes: A bunch of old bikes and a few new ones

Mentioned: 178 Post(s)
Quoted: 5888 Post(s)
Liked 3,471 Times in 2,079 Posts
Welcome, lots of great riding in the state especially in the area where you live.
Old 08-08-19, 04:26 PM
delbiker1 
Mother Nature's Son

Bikes: 2014 Orbea Avant MD30, 2004 Airborne Zeppelin TI, 2003 Lemond Poprad, 2001 Lemond Tourmalet, 2014? Soma Smoothie

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 852 Post(s)
Liked 1,433 Times in 815 Posts
Welcome to BikeForums. Enjoy your rides and be safe.
Old 08-08-19, 06:48 PM
Trsnrtr
Super Modest

Bikes: Trek Emonda, Giant Propel, Colnago V3, Co-Motion Supremo, ICE VTX WC

Mentioned: 107 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10963 Post(s)
Liked 4,619 Times in 2,123 Posts
Welcome!

Old 08-08-19, 11:35 PM
Siu Blue Wind
Homey

Mentioned: 56 Post(s)
Quoted: 2427 Post(s)
Liked 1,406 Times in 900 Posts
Ooo you're a busy bee!
Please dont outsmart the censor. That is a very expensive censor and every time one of you guys outsmart it it makes someone at the home office feel bad. We dont wanna do that. So dont cleverly disguise bad words.