Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

Chamois Butter- different brands??

Notices
Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

Old 08-18-19, 06:35 AM
Tandem Tom

Bikes: 1992 Serotta Colorado II,Co-Motion Speedster, Giant Escape Hybrid, 1977 Schwinn Super Le Tour

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 453 Post(s)
Liked 112 Times in 85 Posts

So has anyone used different brands and found some better than other's?
Thanks!
Old 08-18-19, 07:37 AM
djb

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 2732 Post(s)
Liked 955 Times in 785 Posts
Ive used Chamois Buttr and tried some Assos stuff. The Buttr one is available in numerous bike stores and simply because it was there the reason we have bought some tubes over the years.
The Assos stuff has some "cooling" stuff in it, which I personally didnt like the feeling, and it was a sample, but I presume that like anything Assos, is surely super expensive. Not worth it imo.

the Buttr stuff is fairly non smelling, etc, reasonably thick, and doesnt make any diff when it comes to hand washing bike shorts--ie, no staining, no harder to wash chamois by hand that without it.

As aside, it was a bunch of years ago I tried using chammy cream, the Buttr stuff as it was the only one at the bike store I always went to. I did notice a difference on long rides compared to without--but then at some point I got some diff bike shorts that for me, worked a lot better than the ones Ive had over the decades.

Now you know of course that crotch comfort depends on a whole slew of factors, short fit, chamois types, seat type, seat position, bike position, how much you ride, body shape, etc etc. I did find however that with my setups on my diff bikes, that in the end I really didnt need chamois creams. When I planned a few years back to do a two month trip, I had enough stuff that I just didnt consider taking a tube--kind of heavy, and wouldnt be able to find any more anyway. In any case, my specifics of bike/bike shorts/seat and all that was such that I was fine riding day after day, and not having chafing issues, so I probably havent put any chamois creams on now for years.

good luck trying some brands out. There is no doubt that the stuff does help with friction and less skin sensitivity, I guess all I can suggest is to also think about your specific bike shorts, and to think or try to analyze if a diff brand or higher quality would make just as much difference--but such a totally personal thing here.

Here, a tube of Buttr is about 25 bucks, so Im sure its worth trying out some.
I do figure however that as I don't buy it anymore, Ive easily saved money enough to pay for the more expensive bike shorts I use now.
I also do use Brooks leather saddles generally, and the whole "taking to my shape" factor along with the nice, slightly slippy aspect of a leather seat means more easy slight movement of me against the seat top, which reduces friction compared to a plastic top saddle--as well as the "breathing" aspect of leather, which I agree seems to result in less of a buildup of hot, sweaty nether regions.

good luck trying out stuff
Old 08-18-19, 08:17 AM
DrIsotope
Non omnino gravis

Bikes: Nekobasu, Pandicorn, Lakitu

Mentioned: 119 Post(s)
Quoted: 4905 Post(s)
Liked 1,731 Times in 958 Posts
Udderly Smooth Chamois Cream. It works every bit as well as any other brands I've tried-- full disclosure, I've never used Assos or any of the other $4-5 per oz. creams. Maybe they're worth it, I dunno. I do know I can get a 3-pack of 8oz jars of the Udderly Smooth on Amazon for $25.

Zero odor (it claims "lightly scented" but it smells like unscented lotion to me) and generally lasts well past 100 miles with a single application. I've found that cream isn't needed for day-to-day use, but for days when you're riding significantly more than usual. I'm acclimated to around 70-80 miles-- beyond that, friction becomes an issue.
Old 08-18-19, 06:10 PM
TimothyH
- Soli Deo Gloria -

Bikes: 2018 Rodriguez Custom Fixed Gear, 2017 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2015 Bianchi Pista, 2002 Fuji Robaix

Mentioned: 235 Post(s)
Quoted: 6844 Post(s)
Liked 736 Times in 469 Posts
Body Glide

It applies exactly like antiperspirant. They make travel size sticks, perfect for touring.

Not greasy at all.

Any sporting goods or running store should have it. REI carries it.

-Tim-
Likes For TimothyH:
Old 08-18-19, 06:54 PM
terrymorse 
climber has-been

Bikes: Scott Addict R1, Felt Z1

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 3342 Post(s)
Liked 3,443 Times in 1,741 Posts
I've been using Udderly Smooth Chamois Cream for at least 10 years.

The stuff works, and it's cheap enough that I rub a generous amount into the chamois.

Old 08-18-19, 08:40 PM
ricrunner

Bikes: Malvern Star Oppy S1 Gravel

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 58 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 8 Posts
I know you are supposed to put the stuff on your chamois, but I don't I put it on my body, I suppose doing this way doesn't last as long, but it does help me, although, I can ride without, and don't get any chafing. My seat is very hard and uncomfortable, but I don't get sore using it. I would like to change to a more softer seat, but have not done it as have not gotten hurt by my current seat in 3 years. The thing stopping me, is having a softer seat, may start some sores coming on, but geez, my seat is not bloody comfortable at all. I don't look forward to the ride as much, because of it. Back in the day, when I was young and did big tours, I used a spring loaded comfort seat, and got no issues then, am thinking of doing the same again but, also remembering, that this could be a mistake. Do you guys whom tour long distance, ride comfortably on your seat, and get no soreness, or do you ride uncomfortably , but still get no soreness. Not sure what to do.

Last edited by ricrunner; 08-18-19 at 08:44 PM.
Old 08-18-19, 08:50 PM
jon c. 

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 1591 Post(s)
Liked 1,015 Times in 570 Posts
body glide also makes a product called cycle glide, which has worked well for me. Not sure what the difference is.
Old 08-18-19, 09:19 PM
But its me 

Bikes: A few older US made Cannondales, a modern Soma Saga (no longer made, alas!), and one gifted crabon Specialized. Never enough.

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked 60 Times in 39 Posts
I’m partial to the Doc’s Skincare brand. Tea tree oil like smell and comes in a big eight ounce tub for about $20. Slap it on skin and not at all oily in feel.
Old 08-19-19, 03:15 AM
Machka 
In Real Life

Bikes: Lots

Mentioned: 141 Post(s)
Quoted: 3203 Post(s)
Liked 595 Times in 329 Posts
None = excellent!

Ozonol in tiny quantities on the individual spots that might be troubling you = great!

Lanolin on rainy days = yup!

Everything else ... no.
Old 08-19-19, 05:26 AM
jpescatore

Bikes: Trek Domane SL6 Disc, Jamis Renegade

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 363 Post(s)
Liked 304 Times in 217 Posts
I'm normally just a smear some vaseline on kinda guy but I recently rode the Seattle to Portland ride and Blue Steel was giving out packets of their anti-chafe cream, so I tried some. Worked great, seemed about the same as the freebie samples of Chamois Cream I've tried in the past.
Old 08-19-19, 05:28 AM
berner

Bikes: Specialized Secteur, old Peugeot

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 663 Post(s)
Liked 496 Times in 299 Posts
I like Udderly Smooth also. It works fine for me and I find it at Ace Hardware stores here.
Old 08-19-19, 06:43 AM
TimothyH
- Soli Deo Gloria -

Bikes: 2018 Rodriguez Custom Fixed Gear, 2017 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2015 Bianchi Pista, 2002 Fuji Robaix

Mentioned: 235 Post(s)
Quoted: 6844 Post(s)
Liked 736 Times in 469 Posts
Petroleum based lubricants such as Vaseline and sheep wool derived lanolin products can damage some cycling clothing.

Read the care instructions on your garments.

Originally Posted by jon c.
body glide also makes a product called cycle glide, which has worked well for me. Not sure what the difference is.
I've used both Body Glide and Cycle Glide.

The difference is subtle to the point where I wouldn't turn down either in favor of the other.

-Tim-
Old 08-19-19, 07:12 AM
sdmc530
Heft On Wheels

Bikes: Specialized,Cannondale,Argon 18

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 887 Post(s)
Liked 560 Times in 346 Posts
I have used Butt Butter or whatever its called. Only because its easy to find and cheap enough....never used anything else because I have never felt the need to.

I don't use anything if I am riding less than an hour though, seems pointless.
Old 08-19-19, 01:12 PM
seeker333
-

Bikes: yes!

Quoted: 282 Post(s)
Liked 38 Times in 36 Posts
I've used Assos, Body Glide, Bag Balm, Chamois Butt'r, and Vaseline. They all work better than nothing for longer/frequent bicycling. For short rides I generally use nothing at all. Assos works well but is expensive and must be ordered. Body Glide's seemingly convenient stick/solid form is not the best application method, it's pricey and does not seem to last for long. Vaseline is the cheapest, works well and widely available but I doubt normal machine laundering can completely clean the stuff out of your chamois, also hard to clean from your body. Bag Balm works as well as the others, it's pretty easy to clean up and is relatively inexpensive:

https://www.amazon.com/Vermonts-Orig.../dp/B00FNKXZLI

Last edited by seeker333; 08-19-19 at 01:19 PM.
Old 08-22-19, 05:05 PM
TiHabanero

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1726 Post(s)
Liked 1,350 Times in 705 Posts
After finding that commercially available creams do not last all day for me, I developed my own. For about 3 bucks in materials I am able to make a 2 year supply of the stuff. Lasts all day in the hot, sweaty, humidity of 90 degree days in the upper Midwest. Been doing this for the past 10 years.
Old 08-22-19, 06:36 PM
djb

Originally Posted by TiHabanero
After finding that commercially available creams do not last all day for me, I developed my own. For about 3 bucks in materials I am able to make a 2 year supply of the stuff. Lasts all day in the hot, sweaty, humidity of 90 degree days in the upper Midwest. Been doing this for the past 10 years.
Ok, I'll be there first to bite.

A big tub of marine bearing grease?
Old 08-27-19, 10:33 AM
timdow
Miles to Go

Bikes: 2022 Juiced Crosscurrent X, 2022 Fuji Touring, 1998 Schwinn Moab (drop bar conversion), 2010 LHT (Stolen)

Quoted: 151 Post(s)
Liked 145 Times in 95 Posts
I have used Body Glide and Butt'r. My experience has been that Body Glide is OK for a coupe of hours and needs reapplication. Butt'r or similar good all day. Just my experience, YMMV.
Old 08-27-19, 02:59 PM
djb

Originally Posted by TiHabanero
hey there Mr Ti, you know I was just joshing around with the other comment, but I really am curious of what product you have been using. Seems to me that lots of non scented, greasy stuff would be a good candidate, so if you dont mind, lets us know what you've come up with.
cheers
Old 08-28-19, 06:47 PM
TiHabanero

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1726 Post(s)
Liked 1,350 Times in 705 Posts
Djb, no problem with the kidding. Navy man, can take a lot of ship. lol
Old 08-28-19, 07:36 PM
djb

good to hear, and kinda funny that my dumbass comment involved marine grease.
you are still being coy with your cooking lard secret or whatever it is!
Bear #1 to Bear #2 , what was that that just whizzed by? I dunno, but boy did it ever smell good!
Old 08-31-19, 09:10 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4254 Post(s)
Liked 3,867 Times in 2,580 Posts
I use Chamois/Bike Glide all the time it is great. It is made by the Body Glide folks and it works really well and is easy to use, just like a deodorant stick so no mess and no fuss. I don't get saddle sores using it, nor do I chafe (and I chafe easily)