Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Road bike: short legs

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Road bike: short legs

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-17, 12:19 PM
Campag4life
Voice of the Industry

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1188 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 8 Posts
Originally Posted by TenSpeedV2
I know that you are kidding with me, but in all seriousness, I keep my right foot clipped in because that is my stronger leg, and I am often riding a high gear ratio fixed gear on the street and when the light turns green, I need to be able to get going quickly.
Start leaving your left leg clipped in and before you know it, your left leg will become stronger...to the point, you may not even need to use your right leg or maybe running a platform pedal on the right...even better wearing a sandal in the summer.
Old 08-14-17, 12:27 PM
CliffordK

Mentioned: 217 Post(s)
Quoted: 18385 Post(s)
Liked 4,516 Times in 3,356 Posts
The proper way to do it:
https://www.bikeforums.net/classic-vi...6-raleigh.html

I think you stand behind the bike. When the light changes, you push the bike forward, kick off of the peg, and hop on the seat. You never actually need to straddle the top tube.
Old 08-14-17, 01:01 PM
Campag4life
Voice of the Industry

Liked 8 Times in 8 Posts
That may in fact be the future because can be combined with BMX and you can do stoppies and other tricks at stoplights to entertain motorists.
Originally Posted by CliffordK
The proper way to do it:
https://www.bikeforums.net/classic-vi...6-raleigh.html

I think you stand behind the bike. When the light changes, you push the bike forward, kick off of the peg, and hop on the seat. You never actually need to straddle the top tube.
Old 08-15-17, 08:00 AM
Wspsux

Bikes: Waterford, Salsa, Rivendell

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 218 Post(s)
Liked 26 Times in 14 Posts
Originally Posted by fmilovanov
Guys - you are generally right about ignoring standover, but I ride in Manhattan (to work), so frequent stops and I need to have my feet on the ground. Therefore standover in kinda important.

Will look at that Giant TCR, and in a mean time play with stems.
I'm a similar guy. 5'10 30 inch inseam formerly biking/living in Manhattan. Here is what you do. Buy a bike that fits, move out of Manhattan. Pay close attention to the second part.
Old 08-15-17, 08:02 AM
Wspsux

6' here with a 30" inseam. I ride a 58cm endurance road bike. And I am not sure that any type of stop I have ever had both feet on the ground at the same time. Right foot clipped in, bike leaning a bit to the left because that foot is down. I thought everyone did a variation of this?

Holy ****, I thought I was weird shaped!
Old 08-15-17, 10:16 AM
fmilovanov

Bikes: Trek 1.2 2011 => Trek Emonda ALR 4 2017

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 73 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by GuitarBob
What you'll find is that when you need to stop, you'll naturally yourself move off the saddle and put only one foot down, which means you can clear several inches more than you can with both feet down.
That's a good idea, thanks. But this does not mean I need to stop looking for the right frame -- will keep it as a back-up plan

Originally Posted by Wspsux
I'm a similar guy. 5'10 30 inch inseam formerly biking/living in Manhattan. Here is what you do. Buy a bike that fits, move out of Manhattan. Pay close attention to the second part.
That's an excellent idea (as I hate Manhattan myself), but my GF does not wanna move out of NY. We're actually moving to Staten Island (she has a business there) - bit I'll still need to ride in NYC
Old 08-15-17, 11:18 AM
rgconner

Bikes: Curtis Inglis Road, 80's Sekai touring fixie

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 472 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 9 Posts
Holy ****, I thought I was weird shaped!
5'11 and 28 inch inseam.

I have 4 extra inches in my spine compared to "average"
Old 08-15-17, 11:47 AM
Wspsux

Originally Posted by rgconner
5'11 and 28 inch inseam.

I have 4 extra inches in my spine compared to "average"
What size bike do you ride? Can you post a picture of your set up?
Old 08-15-17, 03:51 PM
rgconner

What size bike do you ride? Can you post a picture of your set up?
I had a custom frame built.

110mm stem with a standard reach handlebar here, now using a 100mm stem with a short reach handlebar. Made it easier to get in the drops

Old 08-17-17, 08:42 AM
DrRobert

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by CliffordK
Your standover height makes absolutely no difference once you're sitting on the saddle. You really don't need any clearance when standing over the frame. You'll learn to mount without mashing something that shouldn't be mashed. Also make sure you're testing the bike wearing your cycling shoes. You're not going to be riding it barefoot are you?

As twodownzero mentioned, a 52cm frame with a 130mm stem will fit you almost like a 55cm frame with a 100mm stem. You can do a lot of fitting adjustments by changing stems. And, if buying the bike at a local bike shop, they should be able to swap stems for free, as well as let you demo the longer stem.

With some luck, you should even be able to find a 140mm or 150mm stem, perhaps even longer.

The Pro Racers often rider smaller frames with long stems to achieve more saddle to bar drop.

As far as conversions. I did do a 26" MTB to 700c road conversion a while ago. It made a most unique bike. Short in height, long in length. Moderately low vertical clearance for rear wheel, but LOTS of width. It also required a wider (vintage MTB) crankset. Road Fork.

I've never seen handlebars turned that far down.
Old 08-18-17, 07:39 AM
weiwentg

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 3 Posts
Hi - I want to ride a road bike with drop-off handlebars, but my problem is I have short legs: I am 5'9" (175 cm), but my inseam is about 30 inches. I've measured it and got my first [used] bike: Trek 1.2 52cm. It fits me fine in standover, but too short in top tube. I've tried gazillion of other bikes - the ones that fit me in length are too high (press on my private parts), and ones that fine in that area are too short.

How do I solve this problem? I've tried to find bike with the right geometry, but found no models made for me. Did I miss something?

Some recommended to get longer stem - I tried, but something did not feel right. Any idea what was that?

The third [maybe stupid] option I am thinking is get a frame if a hybrid bike and built a road bike from it. Anyone has experience doing this? Is it at all worth considering?

I am rather new to biking, so any help is appreciated.

P.S. I want my drop-off handlebars
I used to think I had short legs. Then I read your post.

However, it's still not completely clear if you have had an experienced fitter look at you and tell you if you fit the bike correctly. When you say your inseam is 30", do you mean your pants inseam, or your cycling inseam?

Others have said that it's not critical to have standover clearance. I know what you said about how you feel like you need to put a foot down at a light. But the rule of thumb that you have to have an inch clearance between your crotch and the TT while standing is just that - a rule of thumb, works for the average person, does not work for every single person. If your body proportions are as strange as you say they are, then rules of thumb may be off.

If you are serious about cycling, I'd find a shop that can do good bike fits, and pay up. You'd then be able to get a sense of what frames fit you. If you're actually long in the torso, then you will probably want to find frames that are relatively long in the top tube in your size range. As a rule of thumb, if you have a relatively long torso, you're very likely looking at a compact frame (sloping top tube).

For example, I'm 5'5" with short legs - although they apparently aren't as short as yours, relatively speaking. Pretty sure my pants inseam is 27", but I can make 28" do, and I forget my cycling inseam. I need a steep seat angle (~75 degrees, whereas 74 and 73 are stock in most frames in my size). I need a top tube around 530mm, at least. My custom bike has a 460mm seat tube, a 552mm top tube, and a 76 degree seat angle. However, I know I can get an equivalent fit off the rack with Gunnar and Specialized (adjust saddle fore-aft and stem length as needed).

FWIW, the rule of thumb that you should not be able to easily put a foot down while on the saddle is also a rule of thumb. Based on that rule of thumb, I apparently kept my saddle height 20mm too high. A good fitter advised me to move it down. I did, and the mild knee pain I was having trouble with went away.
Old 08-18-17, 08:31 AM
knobd

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
6' here with a 30" inseam. I ride a 58cm endurance road bike. And I am not sure that any type of stop I have ever had both feet on the ground at the same time. Right foot clipped in, bike leaning a bit to the left because that foot is down. I thought everyone did a variation of this?
I am also 6' w/30" inseam. My Pinarello is a 55 but has dimensions closer to an US 58 and is probably has always been little too large for me all around. I've gotten the horizontal fit pretty good with the use of a shorter adjustable stem (heresy I know). However, vertically, my legs feel better on my cross bike (US 54) and I think it is due to the cranks being 172.5 and not 175. The difference is subtle but I'm more of a spinner on the cross bike and more of a masher on the Pinarello with my natural style being more of a spinner. If you are more of a spinner keep an eye on the crank length and it may put you on a smaller frame with a large stem to be just right.
Old 08-20-17, 08:44 AM
fmilovanov

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Found a new champion for short leggers (Giant TCR is too expensive): Giant Contend

Just 74.5cm standover for 54cm "equivalent" bike
Old 08-20-17, 09:03 AM
Cyclist0108
Occam's Rotor

Mentioned: 61 Post(s)
Quoted: 2366 Post(s)
Liked 2,331 Times in 1,164 Posts
Hi - I want to ride a road bike with drop-off handlebars, but my problem is I have short legs: I am 5'9" (175 cm), but my inseam is about 30 inches.
I have the same dimensions. I got a custom frame made. Then a few months ago I discovered the Trek Domane 54cm frame has nearly identical measurements to that of my custom frame. So you might want to try that. It might be worth a look. I have a 110 mm stem, FWIW.

Edit: Also very similar to the Giant you found (in medium).

Last edited by Cyclist0108; 08-20-17 at 09:07 AM.
Old 08-20-17, 09:36 AM
carl7

Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
If your new to cycling, maybe even a long and adjustable stem.
Old 08-20-17, 09:47 AM
danmyersmn

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 103 Post(s)
Liked 28 Times in 15 Posts
I'm 5'10“ with a 29" inseam. These bikes all fit me riding and standing.

56cm felt z100
55cm all city space horse
54cm surly straggler
56cm Kona ***** tonk

All with a 90 or 100mm stem. Lot of bikes should work for you.
Old 08-20-17, 01:09 PM
rgconner

Originally Posted by DrRobert
I've never seen handlebars turned that far down.
Bars look parallel to the ground, which is the standard position.

Recently, having the top curve parallel to the ground is the new normal.
Old 08-20-17, 04:05 PM
MRT2

Bikes: 2012 Salsa Casseroll, 2009 Kona Blast

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1031 Post(s)
Liked 208 Times in 146 Posts
Guys - you are generally right about ignoring standover, but I ride in Manhattan (to work), so frequent stops and I need to have my feet on the ground. Therefore standover in kinda important.

Will look at that Giant TCR, and in a mean time play with stems.
Why? As others have said, how often do you actually need to stand flat footed straddling the bike as opposed to clipped in on one side, the other foot on the ground?
Old 08-20-17, 04:18 PM
Campag4life
Voice of the Industry

Liked 8 Times in 8 Posts
Originally Posted by MRT2
Why? As others have said, how often do you actually need to stand flat footed straddling the bike as opposed to clipped in on one side, the other foot on the ground?
To me, denying standover as a new buying considering is wack. I standover my bike all the time with my feet/cleats flat on the ground. One thing to have a hand be down bike as a kid that is hard to stand over, but no reason not to have sufficient standover with modern sloping top tube bikes as part of the consideration of frame size.
Old 08-20-17, 04:37 PM
MRT2

Bikes: 2012 Salsa Casseroll, 2009 Kona Blast

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1031 Post(s)
Liked 208 Times in 146 Posts
Originally Posted by Campag4life
To me, denying standover as a new buying considering is wack. I standover my bike all the time with my feet/cleats flat on the ground. One thing to have a hand be down bike as a kid that is hard to stand over, but no reason not to have sufficient standover with modern sloping top tube bikes as part of the consideration of frame size.
If, like OP and others, you have short legs, what are you supposed to do? Better to have a bike that fits when riding than to have a too small bike with lots of standover clearance.
Old 08-20-17, 04:41 PM
Campag4life
Voice of the Industry

Liked 8 Times in 8 Posts
If, like OP and others, you have short legs, what are you supposed to do? Better to have a bike that fits when riding than to have a too small bike with lots of standover clearance.
Agree with that but have to believe even with short legs, with judicious frame geometry selection...would have to be a sloping top tube, a frame can be chosen satisfying standover and stack and reach. May have to hedge toward a smaller frame size with modest spacer stack and longish stem. But if impossible after exhausting all options, of course you are correct.

Last edited by Campag4life; 08-20-17 at 04:44 PM.
Old 08-20-17, 06:27 PM
fmilovanov

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Why? Basically, for the same reason you're using your restroom instead of nearby bushes: it's more comfortable. Of course, if there is absolutely no houses in the area with restrooms I'd use bushes, but before I'd try to find one with that warm room we all feel so comfortable in

P.S. Sorry forgot to mention: I ride in Manhattan.

Last edited by fmilovanov; 08-20-17 at 08:15 PM.
Old 08-21-17, 07:06 AM
bikebreak

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 129 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
also try shorter crank arms, great for shorter legs
Old 08-21-17, 06:02 PM
brianmcg123

Bikes: 2013 Trek Madone; 2008 Surly Long Haul Trucker

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 361 Post(s)
Liked 59 Times in 35 Posts
Why? Basically, for the same reason you're using your restroom instead of nearby bushes: it's more comfortable. Of course, if there is absolutely no houses in the area with restrooms I'd use bushes, but before I'd try to find one with that warm room we all feel so comfortable in

P.S. Sorry forgot to mention: I ride in Manhattan.

What do you need bushes for?

Old 08-22-17, 01:16 PM
fmilovanov

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by brianmcg123
What do you need bushes for?

My mom told me not to pee in a wind!!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.