Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Group Ride Etiquette or ...

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Group Ride Etiquette or ...

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-12, 12:05 PM
fa63

Bikes: A couple

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I am assuming you are all adults, so why not go over and talk to him? If that doesn't work, as many have suggested abuse him until he gets dropped or make sure he never wins that sprint again.
Old 08-13-12, 12:17 PM
Camilo

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1109 Post(s)
Liked 1,200 Times in 760 Posts
I don't understand why it matters either way (to pull or not to pull, to sprint or not to sprint) in a recreational group ride.

I also wonder why he doesn't pull? Don't you have a pretty standard rotation where the lead rider eases off to the left and drops back to last position, and everyone rotates up one position? How can someone not pull at all? I understand short pulls (I do that when I'm tired or weak), but if you're in the paceline how can you not end up at the front from time to time?

That said, I would try to outsprint him just for fun. I'd try to plan ahead and somehow get him to the front with about 1-2 mile to go, then with about 1/2 mile to go, I'd try to ramp it up and outsprint him. But just for fun, not to teach him a lesson.... because no lessons needed in this sort of ride, imho.
Old 08-13-12, 12:21 PM
Brian Ratliff

Bikes: Three road bikes. Two track bikes.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Something's not computing. It's not a race, so we are all worried about someone who sprints at the end of this not-a-race? You ride the way you want. He ride the way he wants. Everyone's happy; save the passive-aggressive mojo for a real race.
"If you’re new enough [to racing] that you would ask such question, then i would hazard a guess that if you just made up a workout that sounded hard to do, and did it, you’d probably get faster." --the tiniest sprinter
Old 08-13-12, 12:30 PM
Brian Ratliff

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
There is such a beast as a "sprinter". You don't really hear about these folks in the general recreational rider's circles, but they really do exist in the wild. You don't see them much because they like to hid and they are shy unless hunting. Sprinters are different than other cyclists because they want to go fast. I mean, really fast. They want to do this so much, they don't ever really go sort-of-fast, like all the other cyclists. They let the other cyclists go sort-of-fast, and save their energy to go really fast.

If the OP is intent on the passive-aggressive, he should just take lots of pulls like he normally does, do lots of sort-of-fast stuff, then sit on his wheel on his finish sprint and come around him into the parking lot. Nothing shames a sprinter like having a well-tired sort-of-fast rider come around in a sprint. If he's a real sprinter, you won't be able to come around. Then you both have fun. He gets to go fast, and you get to know you kept to his wheel even though you were going sort-of-fast the entire ride. He knows he's faster than you, and you know you are tougher than him. Everyone wins.
"If you’re new enough [to racing] that you would ask such question, then i would hazard a guess that if you just made up a workout that sounded hard to do, and did it, you’d probably get faster." --the tiniest sprinter

Last edited by Brian Ratliff; 08-13-12 at 12:35 PM.
Old 08-13-12, 12:35 PM
himespau 

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 4236 Post(s)
Liked 2,949 Times in 1,808 Posts
Eh, dial it up to 400W and drope the hamer on him. Isn't that always the answer around here?

Old 08-13-12, 12:37 PM
Brian Ratliff

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by himespau
Eh, dial it up to 400W and drope the hamer on him. Isn't that always the answer around here?
A sprinter sits in your back pocket while you dial it up. You spend your 400W and he spends his 250.
Old 08-13-12, 12:48 PM
banerjek
Portland Fred

Bikes: Custom Winter, Challenge Seiran SL, Fuji Team Pro, Cattrike Road/Velokit, РOS hybrid

Quoted: 232 Post(s)
Liked 53 Times in 35 Posts
Originally Posted by Camilo
I don't understand why it matters either way (to pull or not to pull, to sprint or not to sprint) in a recreational group ride.
Me neither. On a group ride, everyone knows who has legs and who doesn't. Hitting any marker first doesn't change that.

Originally Posted by Camilo
I also wonder why he doesn't pull?
Because he knows he's weaker than the others and wouldn't keep up if actually did any work. I see no point in dropping him unless he needs an attitude adjustment.
Old 08-13-12, 01:00 PM
gregf83 

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 1186 Post(s)
Liked 289 Times in 177 Posts
Originally Posted by fa63
I am assuming you are all adults, so why not go over and talk to him?
What would you talk to him about? The problem isn't the sprinter but other's perceived slight at being beaten on a meaningless group ride.

There is nothing intrinsically wrong with finishing ahead of someone on a ride. For this group it sounds like no one really cares so I can't imagine they're going to want to put in the effort required to execute elaborate strategies to drop a sprinter.
Old 08-13-12, 01:15 PM
fa63

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
In a polite way, I would ask why he/she is not taking his/her share of the pulls. He/she might have a perfectly good reason (probably not). There is a also a chance that this particular individual may not be aware that part of riding in a group means taking your share of the pulls, unless the group has made it specifically clear that it doesn't matter who is pulling and/or how long they are pulling for. I have been in group rides where me being in the back and/or not taking long pulls makes things better for everyone, because I wouldn't be able to sustain the pace and would disrupt the group's rhythm. But then that doesn't culminate in me sprinting past everyone at the end (I am usually trying to hang on for dear life in those moments).
Old 08-13-12, 01:17 PM
carpediemracing 

Bikes: Tsunami road bikes, Dolan DF4 track

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 385 Post(s)
Liked 180 Times in 102 Posts
Originally Posted by Snapperhead
I started racing this year, although kind of late in the season.
You'll understand this post then.
https://sprinterdellacasa.blogspot.co...s-on-road.html

Once you start racing then most group ride "competitions" become meaningless. The group rides with Pro - Cat 1-2-3 racers, those are still a bit meaningful but at that point it's pretty easy to figure out where one belongs
Old 08-13-12, 01:43 PM
gregf83 

In a polite way, I would ask why he/she is not taking his/her share of the pulls. He/she might have a perfectly good reason (probably not). There is a also a chance that this particular individual may not be aware that part of riding in a group means taking your share of the pulls, unless the group has made it specifically clear that it doesn't matter who is pulling and/or how long they are pulling for. I have been in group rides where me being in the back and/or not taking long pulls makes things better for everyone, because I wouldn't be able to sustain the pace and would disrupt the group's rhythm. But then that doesn't culminate in me sprinting past everyone at the end (I am usually trying to hang on for dear life in those moments).
I don't see why anyone needs a reason not to pull. The benefit of a group ride is that it let's a group of people with disparate abilities or energy ride together. I sometimes like to kill myself on a ride, whereas other times I may want to just sit in.

There are a couple of 5 min false flats that I like to use as VO2Max intervals. I'll pull steadily for the full duration and have nothing left at the end. There's usually one or two guys who'll sprint the last 100m but it doesn't bother me as it's not a race.
Old 08-13-12, 01:49 PM
slowandsteady
Faster but still slow

Bikes: Trek 830 circa 1993 and a Fuji WSD Finest 1.0 2006

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by gregf83
I don't see why anyone needs a reason not to pull. The benefit of a group ride is that it let's a group of people with disparate abilities or energy ride together. I sometimes like to kill myself on a ride, whereas other times I may want to just sit in.

There are a couple of 5 min false flats that I like to use as VO2Max intervals. I'll pull steadily for the full duration and have nothing left at the end. There's usually one or two guys who'll sprint the last 100m but it doesn't bother me as it's not a race.

It is one thing to be a weaker rider and need to wheel suck just to keep up. It is quite another to wheel suck and then sprint at the end after everyone else did all the work. It is a very doosh move.
Old 08-13-12, 01:53 PM
Brian Ratliff

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by slowandsteady
It is one thing to be a weaker rider and need to wheel suck just to keep up. It is quite another to wheel suck and then sprint at the end after everyone else did all the work. It is a very doosh move.
This is what I don't get. Are we somehow disturbed that someone hits the finish line of a not-a-race first? Just ride. If the dude wants to sprint and not pull, as long as he isn't doing any aggressive not-pulling, then just let him be. Doosh moves would be if he comes to second wheel and pulls off at the same time as the guy in first wheel, disturbing the flow, or if he is cutting people's wheels or something to gain advantage in his sprints. The OP didn't even notice this guy was there until his friend spoke up; hard to be a doosh if nobody really notices.
Old 08-13-12, 01:54 PM
Elduderino2412
Tour De French Fries

Bikes: 2010 Cervelo R3 SL & 2013 Airborne Goblin

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
the way you should look at it is the more you pull, the more fitness you are gaining on every training ride.

I could see how it could get annoying though, but hey some people are annoying.
Old 08-13-12, 01:58 PM
Brian Ratliff

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Snapperhead
You are probably right. But honestly, I'll usually pull for a 1/3 to 1/2 of a 30 mile ride, and most folks are willing to let me. Once again, I know this is childish and in all honesty, I really don't care THAT much. It just got under my skin after my buddy pointed it out.

Maybe this BF therapy will help?
There's your problem right there. You're the dude who pulls too much. If the dude who never pulls is a rampant far right wing conservative, then you are the far left marxist. Everyone "lets" you because it's usually up to the guy pulling to relinquish the front, rather than having someone take it from you.
Old 08-13-12, 02:13 PM
slowandsteady
Faster but still slow

Bikes: Trek 830 circa 1993 and a Fuji WSD Finest 1.0 2006

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Brian Ratliff
This is what I don't get. Are we somehow disturbed that someone hits the finish line of a not-a-race first? Just ride. If the dude wants to sprint and not pull, as long as he isn't doing any aggressive not-pulling, then just let him be. Doosh moves would be if he comes to second wheel and pulls off at the same time as the guy in first wheel, disturbing the flow, or if he is cutting people's wheels or something to gain advantage in his sprints. The OP didn't even notice this guy was there until his friend spoke up; hard to be a doosh if nobody really notices.
I don't think I would personally care, but I would think that person is a dumb arse for being the weaker rider the entire ride then "winning" a fake race at the end. It certainly wouldn't cause me to have more respect for that person.
Old 08-13-12, 02:18 PM
Brian Ratliff

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
I don't think I would personally care, but I would think that person is a dumb arse for being the weaker rider the entire ride then "winning" a fake race at the end. It certainly wouldn't cause me to have more respect for that person.
Your second statement contradicts your first.
Old 08-13-12, 02:30 PM
gregf83 

On a group ride people can do as much work as they want. There is no requirement for everyone to share the work equally. It's only a doosh move if someone cares. Even then, if someone cares they should be sprinting also.

If they care, sprint, lose and complain... well then it's just whining and sour grapes.
Old 08-13-12, 02:41 PM
himespau 

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 4236 Post(s)
Liked 2,949 Times in 1,808 Posts
As a former sprinter (in high school track, not cycling), I used to piss my high school cross country coaches off to no end because I would be chugging along slowly at the most of my endurance for those 2.9 or so miles and then suddenly find the energy to spring balls to the wall for the last 0.2 or so miles. No matter how tired I was or how hard of a time I had before that, I always had that sprint in my legs. Didn't always use it if I was incredibly slow and there was no one around because I didn't want my coaches to yell at me for saving something that I could have used earlier when it would have mattered, so I know how that guy feels (potentially anyway) of not having the endurance, but having a lot of power right at the end. Maybe it's all psychological, maybe it's a fast twitch vs slow twitch thing, but sprinting vs enduring are two different beasts to me. Something I could never explain to my coaches or teammates.

Old 08-13-12, 02:59 PM
Reynolds 
Passista

Bikes: 1998 Pinarello Asolo, 1992 KHS Montaña pro, 1980 Raleigh DL-1, IGH Hybrid, IGH Utility

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 868 Post(s)
Liked 721 Times in 396 Posts
When that behaviour happened on some of my group rides, the guy was punished by dropping him mercilessly afterwards.
Old 08-13-12, 03:10 PM
hhnngg1

Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Brian Ratliff
There is such a beast as a "sprinter". You don't really hear about these folks in the general recreational rider's circles, but they really do exist in the wild. You don't see them much because they like to hid and they are shy unless hunting. Sprinters are different than other cyclists because they want to go fast. I mean, really fast. They want to do this so much, they don't ever really go sort-of-fast, like all the other cyclists. They let the other cyclists go sort-of-fast, and save their energy to go really fast.

If the OP is intent on the passive-aggressive, he should just take lots of pulls like he normally does, do lots of sort-of-fast stuff, then sit on his wheel on his finish sprint and come around him into the parking lot. Nothing shames a sprinter like having a well-tired sort-of-fast rider come around in a sprint. If he's a real sprinter, you won't be able to come around. Then you both have fun. He gets to go fast, and you get to know you kept to his wheel even though you were going sort-of-fast the entire ride. He knows he's faster than you, and you know you are tougher than him. Everyone wins.

Totally agree.

1. It's not a race. Yes, there are perceived bragging rights, but everyones knows that mr. I never pull but can sprint the finish isn't going to necessarily be the overall strongest rider.

2. There are guys who really love to sprint, but can't pull or climb anywhere near as well. This guy may indeed be one of those guys who would like to pull hard at the front, but would simply get dumped shortly after he wore himself out on the pull.

3. Yes, it's not good form to do what that guy does, and he might be a full ****** intentionally doing it, but it's not worth getting your panties worked up over. If it's bothering you that much, do as advised above, and drop him on the first real climb you get to.
Old 08-13-12, 03:20 PM
BarracksSi
Bike ≠ Car ≠ Ped.

Bikes: Some bikes. Hell, they're all the same, ain't they?

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
I hope you're not complaining about me. Yeah, I get pulled the entire time, but halfway up the first big hill you don't even see me again until Starbucks.
Old 08-13-12, 03:20 PM
hhnngg1

Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Again, no reason to have to pull in a group, unless you're in a pre-established group that has discussed the need to pull in advance.

It's a fair assessment in most cases in that if someone's not pulling, they're acknowledging that they're not strong enough to hold the pull in front.

Yes, I've done this quite a number of times myself while riding with some significantly stronger riders. At first I was totally embarassed and even apologized at the end of the ride for my lameness, but these guys were all very supportive (actually to my surprise since they were all competitive roadies in racing season who mostly knew each other but not me) and said they were actually impressed that the 'new guy' could hang on at all. Was good to see as carpediem posted above that the real racing guys out there don't really care about pseudoracing on training rides and were cool with helping drag the new guy (me) through a fast ride. This has happened to me about 3-4 times in the past few years where I joined group rides and pushed to a level that was definitely beyond my level of expertise, and every time it's worked out similarly, with some good camaraderie at the end, despite me being really worried that I'd get shouted at as that ****** in the back who couldn't pull his weight.
Old 08-13-12, 03:39 PM
fa63

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by hhnngg1
Again, no reason to have to pull in a group, unless you're in a pre-established group that has discussed the need to pull in advance.

It's a fair assessment in most cases in that if someone's not pulling, they're acknowledging that they're not strong enough to hold the pull in front.

Yes, I've done this quite a number of times myself while riding with some significantly stronger riders. At first I was totally embarassed and even apologized at the end of the ride for my lameness, but these guys were all very supportive (actually to my surprise since they were all competitive roadies in racing season who mostly knew each other but not me) and said they were actually impressed that the 'new guy' could hang on at all. Was good to see as carpediem posted above that the real racing guys out there don't really care about pseudoracing on training rides and were cool with helping drag the new guy (me) through a fast ride. This has happened to me about 3-4 times in the past few years where I joined group rides and pushed to a level that was definitely beyond my level of expertise, and every time it's worked out similarly, with some good camaraderie at the end, despite me being really worried that I'd get shouted at as that ****** in the back who couldn't pull his weight.
I feel like you are saying pretty much what I said, just in a different way.

And trust me, those fast group of riders you jumped in with probably wouldn't have been as nice to you if you sucked wheel until the end then tried to outsprint them at the end.

Anyways, I am done. Arguing over the internet is tiring...
Old 08-13-12, 03:45 PM
svtmike

Bikes: S-Works Roubaix SL2^H4, Secteur Sport, TriCross, Kaffenback, Lurcher 29er

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Anyways, I am done. Arguing over the internet is tiring...
You can't rush to end the topic when we've pulled you along for 3 pages. It's just not cricket.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.