Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

MUPS.... danger on the path

Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Old 09-25-15, 10:10 AM
DBrown9383

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

As a new cyclist I don't really speak from a lot of experience but my wife and I bought bikes this spring and started riding... a lot.... At first we would load the bikes up on a trunk rack and go to a MUP that looked good in a guide book for bike trails in Michigan. The first few MUP rides were fun but after that I found riding MUP's to be a frustrating and often times dangerous experience. At our initial speed of less than 10mph things worked out o.k but when trying to ride at any speed above that it got dicey. We put bells on the bikes but often times ringing the bell would only alarm a pedestrian and they would often move LEFT instead of right? Skateboarders, baby carriages, wandering pedestrians, children on bikes with training wheels, e-bikes etc. etc. all made the experience a little un-nerving. Lately we've been staying on roads and have far less conflict and can ride faster and put on more miles. The book we read about Michigan's bike paths should be re-named and warnings should be given regarding who can and does use these paths. It's a free for all and not all that bike friendly for anyone doing more than a very casual site seeing ride at less than 10mph. Perhaps the MUP's should be wider with a separate lane just for bikes? The title of this post is a little extreme and in general I think the MUP's are a good idea as they get people outside and moving instead of driving a car but I have learned quickly that riding a MUP isn't a stress free experience and can be outright dangerous.
Old 09-25-15, 10:14 AM
redfooj
pluralis majestatis

Bikes: a DuhRosa

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 537 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by DBrown9383
The book we read about Michigan's bike paths should be re-named and warnings should be given regarding who can and does use these paths.
They're called Multi-Use Paths and are used by people of multiple manners of transport ...
Old 09-25-15, 10:15 AM
PepeM

Mentioned: 180 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2739 Post(s)
Liked 119 Times in 59 Posts
Big park over here has separate paths for bicycles and runners. Guess which path most runners use.
Old 09-25-15, 10:16 AM
99Klein 

Bikes: 99 Klein Quantum, 2012 Cannondale CAAD10 5, Specialized Tarmac Comp, Foundry Thresher, Fuji Sportif

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 98 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
MUP's are dangerous. Stick to the road.
Old 09-25-15, 10:17 AM
69chevy
wears long socks

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 503 Post(s)
Liked 19 Times in 11 Posts
Originally Posted by DBrown9383
As a new cyclist I don't really speak from a lot of experience but my wife and I bought bikes this spring and started riding... a lot.... At first we would load the bikes up on a trunk rack and go to a MUP that looked good in a guide book for bike trails in Michigan. The first few MUP rides were fun but after that I found riding MUP's to be a frustrating and often times dangerous experience. At our initial speed of less than 10mph things worked out o.k but when trying to ride at any speed above that it got dicey. We put bells on the bikes but often times ringing the bell would only alarm a pedestrian and they would often move LEFT instead of right? Skateboarders, baby carriages, wandering pedestrians, children on bikes with training wheels, e-bikes etc. etc. all made the experience a little un-nerving. Lately we've been staying on roads and have far less conflict and can ride faster and put on more miles. The book we read about Michigan's bike paths should be re-named and warnings should be given regarding who can and does use these paths. It's a free for all and not all that bike friendly for anyone doing more than a very casual site seeing ride at less than 10mph. Perhaps the MUP's should be wider with a separate lane just for bikes? The title of this post is a little extreme and in general I think the MUP's are a good idea as they get people outside and moving instead of driving a car but I have learned quickly that riding a MUP isn't a stress free experience and can be outright dangerous.
A MUP is basically a giant sidewalk. You can ride a bike there, but if you want to ride a road bike, the road is the right place.
Old 09-25-15, 10:18 AM
silversx80

Bikes: Lynskey R240, 2013 CAAD10

Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Everything is dangerous; even nothing at all is the most dangerous. Pick your poison.
Old 09-25-15, 10:19 AM
TrojanHorse
SuperGimp

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 147 Post(s)
Quoted: 1107 Post(s)
Liked 64 Times in 47 Posts
Originally Posted by PepeM
Big park over here has separate paths for bicycles and runners. Guess which path most runners use.
Probably the bike path because there are too many walkers on the jogging path.

What do I win?

I use a variety of bike paths (MUPS) near me to get from A to B and avoid bad roads, but the behavior of people walking is inscrutable. Walk side by side, elbows akimbo, earbuds in so you can't hear me.... good thinking, ladies. No point in even trying to alert pedestrians half the time, they seem to be deaf.
Old 09-25-15, 10:19 AM
Wilfred Laurier
Señor Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 649 Post(s)
Liked 292 Times in 215 Posts
I do a fair bit of riding on MUPs in Ottawa Ontario, and my experience has been sometimes similar, but it depends on the time and day you are riding. Sunday afternoon is hair raising, but Monday morning is thousands of commuters travelling at a decent speed. However, they are 'multi-use-paths', and bicycles are generally expected to give the right-of-way to other trail users. If I want to ride fast or long distances, I ride on the road.
Old 09-25-15, 10:21 AM
10 Wheels
Galveston County Texas

Bikes: 02 GTO, 2011 Magnum

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 1349 Post(s)
Liked 1,243 Times in 621 Posts
Originally Posted by 99Klein
MUP's are dangerous. Stick to the road.
Agree

OldsCOOL

Bikes: '77 Colnago Super, '76 Fuji The Finest, '88 Cannondale Criterium, '86 Trek 760, '87 Miyata 712

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 659 Post(s)
Liked 595 Times in 313 Posts
Have you rode the Little Traverse Wheelway? People have forgotten it is two-way and often has approaching traffic to the rear.

Most users seem like....users. Of Hallucinogens. I've seen strange stuff in the typical 2 or 3 times a year use between Chx and Ptown.
PepeM

Originally Posted by TrojanHorse
Probably the bike path because there are too many walkers on the jogging path.
Nah, the walkers, especially those with dogs, prefer the bike path even better than the joggers.
Old 09-25-15, 10:25 AM
winston63 

Bikes: Specialized Diverge E5 Comp, Specialized AWOL Comp, Scott Solace 10

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 137 Post(s)
Liked 27 Times in 20 Posts
Most of the local MUPs are pretty decent for getting around, but you really have to be prepared to slow down and pay close attention. I try to assume that children and joggers are going to step out in front of me and I'll generally delay a pass until I can get safely and clearly around. Now it does depend on the time of day - I commute via one and it's fine in the morning. There are a number of other cycling commuters, but I can generally maintain a decent pace pretty safely. Things slow down in the afternoon, and on a sunny Saturday or Sunday it's going to be very slow going!
Old 09-25-15, 10:27 AM
PepeM

If anything, fast moving road bikes are probably the most out of place of all the 'MUP' users.
Old 09-25-15, 10:29 AM
tarwheel 

Bikes: Waterford RST-22, Bob Jackson World Tour, Ritchey Breakaway Cross, Soma Saga, De Bernardi SL, Specialized Sequoia

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 196 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
MUPs have their own unique set of dangers relative to roads. You have to adjust your riding to each. I ride a lot on roads -- including city streets while commuting -- as well as greenways. When riding on MUPs, I have a bell on my bike and use it frequently. If I get no reaction from the walker/runner/slower cyclist, I slow down and call out "on your left." MUPs are not the place for fast group rides, time trials and Strava record attempts -- although I will crank up my speed on trails when I can see a good ways ahead and the route is clear. I always keep my hands near the brake levers and watch children and people wearing ear buds like a hawk. The major advantage of MUPs, of course, is that you don't have to worry about cars (unless they cross roads) and that relieves a lot of stress. The greenways in my city and many places are also very scenic places to ride.

On the roads, I put a high emphasis on visibility -- on the theory that most drivers do not want to hit cyclists but often do not notice them. I use multiple head and taillights while commuting, and I wear high viz jerseys, jackets and vests most of the time. I choose my routes to avoid heavily trafficked and narrow roads with no shoulders or bike lanes. I try to be very aware and alert at all times, particularly looking for cars that might pull out or turn in front of me. I've been road cycling for 40+ years and I've never been hit by a car, but I have avoided a few potential hits through vigilance.
Old 09-25-15, 10:29 AM
DBrown9383

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by OldsCOOL
Have you rode the Little Traverse Wheelway? People have forgotten it is two-way and often has approaching traffic to the rear.

Most users seem like....users. Of Hallucinogens. I've seen strange stuff in the typical 2 or 3 times a year use between Chx and Ptown.
No but we did ride the heritage trail at sleeping bear dunes and we're still recovering from it. We won't do THAT again on a weekend
Old 09-25-15, 10:30 AM
Cyclosaurus

Bikes: 1993 NOS Mt Shasta Tempest, Motobecane Fantom Cross CX, Dahon Speed D7, Dahon Vector P8, Bullitt Superfly

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Driving your car at 60mph through a residential neighborhood is also a stressful experience for everyone involved. The same patience and self-control that drivers should exercise when sharing streets with other users, is what cyclists should exercise when sharing MUPs with old people, people with strollers or walking dogs, small children weaving back and forth on their bikes, etc. It's great that MUPs are a kind of free-for-all.
Old 09-25-15, 10:31 AM
TrojanHorse
SuperGimp

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 147 Post(s)
Quoted: 1107 Post(s)
Liked 64 Times in 47 Posts
Nah, the walkers, especially those with dogs, prefer the bike path even better than the joggers.
I hope they have those 30 foot long retractable leashes or better yet, let Fido run around off the leash. Nothing like a good dog chase to get the HR up!

If anything, fast moving road bikes are probably the most out of place of all the 'MUP' users.
Depends on the path... we have some around me that are 40+ miles long and pretty sparsely populated for a lot of the distance. you still have to give way to pedestrians and horses. Speaking of horses, why do people expect others to pick up after their dog but it's OK if a horse lets fly wherever he feels like it?
Old 09-25-15, 10:33 AM
silversx80

Bikes: Lynskey R240, 2013 CAAD10

Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Cyclosaurus
Driving your car at 60mph through a residential neighborhood is also a stressful experience for everyone involved. The same patience and self-control that drivers should exercise when sharing streets with other users, is what cyclists should exercise when sharing MUPs with old people, people with strollers or walking dogs, small children weaving back and forth on their bikes, etc. It's great that MUPs are a kind of free-for-all.
+ eleventy billion.
Old 09-25-15, 10:34 AM
PepeM

Originally Posted by TrojanHorse
I hope they have those 30 foot long retractable leashes or better yet, let Fido run around off the leash. Nothing like a good dog chase to get the HR up!

Depends on the path... we have some around me that are 40+ miles long and pretty sparsely populated for a lot of the distance. you still have to give way to pedestrians and horses. Speaking of horses, why do people expect others to pick up after their dog but it's OK if a horse lets fly wherever he feels like it?
Good point. If there is no one feel free to dial it up to 400W.

I've seen some of the horses around here wearing some sort of bag to catch their ****.
Old 09-25-15, 10:34 AM
vangoes

Bikes: Ridley Fenix AL2

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
In my limited experience, the worst users are the runners pushing double baby carriages. I've seen a couple of these and they were both running toward traffic in the bike lane with a 3 foot wide double baby carriage. A runner/walker is correct to go against traffic, but you add that baby carriage and you have a moving hazard that is difficult to avoid. They should move in the direction of traffic since they can't just step to the side to avoid a collision.
Old 09-25-15, 10:35 AM
DrIsotope
Non omnino gravis

Bikes: Nekobasu, Pandicorn, Lakitu

Mentioned: 119 Post(s)
Quoted: 4905 Post(s)
Liked 1,731 Times in 958 Posts
I'm starting to think MUPs are different outside Southern California. This is what I ride on, the Santa Ana River Trail-- this picture is of a section just north of Anaheim. If my roads were in better shape than this, I would stick to them exclusively. I average right at 19mph on the trail, no problem. 99% of the non-wheeled occupants stick to the dirt shoulder anyway.

Old 09-25-15, 10:36 AM
DBrown9383

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Horses, HAH!.. we ferried over to Mackinac island where no cars are allowed period. It's all bikes and horses. The majority of the days riding was spent dodging horse poop. We got good at it fast, a must unless you have fenders.
Old 09-25-15, 10:37 AM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
those babies grow up to pay into your Social Security retirement Fund so you can get paid.
Old 09-25-15, 10:37 AM
PepeM

That just looks like a road.
Old 09-25-15, 10:39 AM
Hypno Toad
meh

Bikes: 23 Cutthroat, 21 CoMotion Java; 21 Bianchi Infinito; 15 Surly Pugsley; 11 Globe Daily; 09 Kona Dew Drop; 96 Mondonico

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1110 Post(s)
Liked 1,012 Times in 518 Posts
I ride roads and MUPs, depending on where I'm going and who I'm with. However, Minneapolis has some of the best MUPs in the US, and with so much bike traffic, everybody understands the rules of the MUP.

Here's the Cedar Trail (best in class), one lane for eastbound bikes (Lisa is on this lane), to the left you see a rider on the westbound bike lane, and hard to see in the distance on the right is the trail for foot traffic in both directions:

Here is the Midtown Greenway, picture of the yeti at the Winter Bike Expo. You'll see three stripped lanes, eastbound bikes, westbound bikes, and foot traffic.

Here is the typical MUP in town, mixed use eastbound and westbound:

edit - after thought, I've been biking long enough to remember when people around here would piss themselves when you sounded a bell or announced "passing". This almost never happens any more, the typical response to sounding your bell is a person on foot will lift their left hand to signal that they heard you, I will normally say 'thank you' as I pass. People do get used to it, it just takes time and respect.

Last edited by Hypno Toad; 09-25-15 at 12:19 PM. Reason: I don't know my right from left

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.