Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

How not to run from the cops on a bike

Search
Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-15, 08:43 AM
Cyclosaurus

Bikes: 1993 NOS Mt Shasta Tempest, Motobecane Fantom Cross CX, Dahon Speed D7, Dahon Vector P8, Bullitt Superfly

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Was riding my commute in to Chicago yesterday morning. I was on Madison Street heading east and about to cross Kostner Ave. I saw a guy heading North towards me on Kostner riding a mtb on the sidewalk (nothing unusual about that in this neighborhood) and as I crossed Kostner a blue SUV about a block away also heading North towards me gunned the engine. I thought, what a jerk, he's trying to scare me or something. Just as I finished crossing the mtb guy comes around the corner on the sidewalk, clips a couple of women walking, splatters their coffee everywhere on the sidewalk, and goes down hard. He doesn't get up and I stop. I barely get out a "hey man you OK?" before the blue SUV pulls up and a couple of cops in body armor jump out and start calmly cuffing the guy while he's laying there. OK, I figure this guy has bigger problems then a spill on the ground. I resist the temptation to take a pic of the scene and continue on my commute.

The cops didn't do any of that screaming at or roughing the guy up. It seemed all very matter of fact. So I'll own up to having some of my own prejudice disproved about cops' behavior, especially in minority neighborhoods.

As I was riding away I was thinking about how this guy couldn't take a corner at moderate speed (12-15 mph) without crashing, and that you should have at least a little bit of skill before trying to run from the cops on a bike.
Old 10-06-15, 09:40 AM
Leebo

Bikes: Kona Dawg, Surly 1x1, Karate Monkey, Rockhopper, Crosscheck , Burley Runabout,

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 854 Post(s)
Liked 111 Times in 66 Posts
Maybe it wasn't his bike?
Old 10-06-15, 10:57 AM
DiabloScott
It's MY mountain

Bikes: Klein, Merckx, Trek

Mentioned: 70 Post(s)
Quoted: 4338 Post(s)
Liked 2,980 Times in 1,617 Posts
Originally Posted by Leeb
Maybe he was drunk?
Old 10-06-15, 11:12 AM
chefisaac

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Maybe he was innocent.
Old 10-06-15, 11:19 AM
Cyclosaurus

Bikes: 1993 NOS Mt Shasta Tempest, Motobecane Fantom Cross CX, Dahon Speed D7, Dahon Vector P8, Bullitt Superfly

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by DiabloScott
Maybe he was drunk?
That's what I was thinking...the lack of control at low speed, just laying there after crashing, the fact that the cops didn't seem too worried about him...
Old 10-06-15, 11:21 AM
Cyclosaurus

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Leebo
True, he may have "borrowed" the bike to try and get away. Even more reason why it was a bad idea.
Old 10-06-15, 12:14 PM
ThermionicScott 
working on my sandal tan

Bikes: 1991 Bianchi Eros, 1964 Armstrong, 1988 Diamondback Ascent, 1988 Bianchi Premio, 1987 Bianchi Sport SX, 1980s Raleigh mixte (hers), All-City Space Horse (hers)

Mentioned: 98 Post(s)
Quoted: 3871 Post(s)
Liked 2,568 Times in 1,579 Posts
Haha. Whatever happened to the other thread? It had all the makings of comedy gold, but must have gotten deleted right away.
People in this forum are not typical.
RUSA #7498
Old 10-06-15, 12:29 PM
Cyclosaurus

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by ThermionicScott
Haha. Whatever happened to the other thread? It had all the makings of comedy gold, but must have gotten deleted right away.
Other thread?
Old 10-06-15, 04:05 PM
CrankyOne

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 358 Post(s)
Liked 48 Times in 35 Posts
Originally Posted by Cyclosaurus
So I'll own up to having some of my own prejudice disproved about cops' behavior, especially in minority neighborhoods.
There are some really good cops, some really bad ones, and a bunch of lemming pablum in the middle. Sadly the really good are a tiny minority and the pablum either follow the bad or look the other way.
Old 10-06-15, 04:18 PM
Darth Lefty 
Disco Infiltrator

Bikes: Stormchaser, Paramount, Tilt, Samba tandem

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Quoted: 3126 Post(s)
Liked 2,105 Times in 1,369 Posts
Not enough info to make value judgements.

The scene reminds me of old nature documentaries where they follow the bear as they wait for the tranquilizer to kick in.
Genesis 49:16-17
Old 10-06-15, 04:23 PM
ThermionicScott 
working on my sandal tan

Bikes: 1991 Bianchi Eros, 1964 Armstrong, 1988 Diamondback Ascent, 1988 Bianchi Premio, 1987 Bianchi Sport SX, 1980s Raleigh mixte (hers), All-City Space Horse (hers)

Mentioned: 98 Post(s)
Quoted: 3871 Post(s)
Liked 2,568 Times in 1,579 Posts
Other thread?
There was a "best way to outrun the cops on your bike?" thread a couple days ago that was really promising -- I figured your thread was a response to it.
People in this forum are not typical.
RUSA #7498
Old 10-06-15, 05:15 PM
Cyclosaurus

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by ThermionicScott
There was a "best way to outrun the cops on your bike?" thread a couple days ago that was really promising -- I figured your thread was a response to it.
Ha, no I didn't know about that thread at all. Would like to say that I planned it that way, but it's just a coincidence.
Old 10-06-15, 07:11 PM
StanSeven
Administrator

Bikes: Cervelo C5, Guru Photon, Waterford, Specialized CX

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1106 Post(s)
Liked 2,173 Times in 1,464 Posts
Originally Posted by CrankyOne
There are some really good cops, some really bad ones, and a bunch of lemming pablum in the middle. Sadly the really good are a tiny minority and the pablum either follow the bad or look the other way.
This is a misinformed statement. The overwhelming proportion of cops are good. They work under incredible stress for low pay and very little favorable recognition. I'm certainly no fan of police but they do an amazing job.

Last edited by StanSeven; 10-06-15 at 07:41 PM.
Old 10-06-15, 10:08 PM
cooker
Prefers Cicero

Bikes: 1984 Trek 520; 2007 Bike Friday NWT; misc others

Mentioned: 86 Post(s)
Quoted: 3943 Post(s)
Liked 117 Times in 92 Posts
The cops didn't do any of that screaming at or roughing the guy up. It seemed all very matter of fact. So I'll own up to having some of my own prejudice disproved about cops' behavior, especially in minority neighborhoods.
Since you brought it up...Nobody claims cops rough up every suspect. That they rough up some suspects is bad enough.
Old 10-06-15, 10:24 PM
Cyclosaurus

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by cooker
Since you brought it up...Nobody claims cops rough up every suspect. That they rough up some suspects is bad enough.
Agreed on both statements. It's just that this situation had all the markings of one in which I would have expected more force to be used...poor neighborhood, a guy fleeing arrest, putting bystanders at risk. They didn't draw their weapons or even have the guy put his hands up or behind his back before approaching. And I was arm's length from the guy and they politely went around me and didn't ask anyone to step back or any of that. It just seemed like better behavior than I would have assumed.
Old 10-07-15, 02:49 PM
PaulRivers

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 539 Post(s)
Liked 44 Times in 38 Posts
While there are a million explanations as well, one thing about mountain bikes is that people think their knobby tires are going to be "more grippy", but on pavement they're less grippy than an equivalent slick tire. Especially when turning, the knobby parts squirms around.
Old 10-07-15, 07:09 PM
JanMM
rebmeM roineS

Bikes: Bacchetta Giro A20, RANS V-Rex, RANS Screamer

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 653 Post(s)
Liked 347 Times in 226 Posts
Originally Posted by PaulRivers
While there are a million explanations as well, one thing about mountain bikes is that people think their knobby tires are going to be "more grippy", but on pavement they're less grippy than an equivalent slick tire. Especially when turning, the knobby parts squirms around.
So don't ride a MTB if you're on pavement and want to get away from the man.
Old 10-07-15, 11:07 PM
Bike Gremlin
Mostly harmless ™

Bikes: Heavy, with friction shifters

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1107 Post(s)
Liked 216 Times in 130 Posts
Agreed on both statements. It's just that this situation had all the markings of one in which I would have expected more force to be used...poor neighborhood, a guy fleeing arrest, putting bystanders at risk. They didn't draw their weapons or even have the guy put his hands up or behind his back before approaching. And I was arm's length from the guy and they politely went around me and didn't ask anyone to step back or any of that. It just seemed like better behavior than I would have assumed.
Depends on the profile. If it is someone known for resisting arrest, being armed etc, then there's one approach. If it's unknown - another. If it's someone known for being rather harmless when caught - third.

When catching violent ones, or ones likely to try running, shouting works well psychologically, confusing them, giving cops more time to do the job.