Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Utility Cycling
Reload this Page >

Cargo trailer for Utility, not Touring

Search
Notices
Utility Cycling Want to haul groceries, beer, maybe even your kids? You don't have to live car free to put your bike to use as a workhorse. Here's the place to share and learn about the bicycle as a utility vehicle.

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-15, 08:49 AM
andychrist
Devil's Advocate

Bikes: Fuji Del Rey, Bacchetta Giro 20, RANS Stratus XP XL, RANS Stratus XP XXL, RANS Stratus LE XL

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked 50 Times in 38 Posts

Am on my second Burley Nomad and already the canvas is wearing on the front bottom, due to contact with curbs. Poor design to have the frame so low in that particular area. Was looking at the Quik-Pak; like the 20" wheels and Radical Design hitch, but the trailer doesn't look like it would be the greatest at hauling heavy/dense items like gallons of paint and such, as it is essentially just a dry bag resting in an X frame. (Manufacturer states a stiff panel may be added for support but that it will cause the bag's fabric to wear.) Also the tie down straps might not be the most user friendly for frequent use while running errands — my take is that this trailer is intended mostly for touring, where one only breaks camp once a day. Thinking a simple flatbed trailer with similar specs as to wheel size and hitch would work well for me, in conjunction with one of those oval orange plastic containers in which to cram all the crap I'm always schlepping around. Anybody know, is there a 20" wheeled flat bed trailer available somewhere that's compatible with the Radical Design hitch (because I don't particularly care for Burley's, which though it has never failed me is a bit finicky and has parts that rust fast.)

Thanks in advance.
Old 10-08-15, 06:36 PM
Reynolds 
Passista

Bikes: 1998 Pinarello Asolo, 1992 KHS Montaña pro, 1980 Raleigh DL-1, IGH Hybrid, IGH Utility

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 866 Post(s)
Liked 720 Times in 395 Posts
The Carry Freedom is a good and versatile design IMO.
Old 10-08-15, 06:51 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
the flat bed does not have that Low CofG front hoop ,, dont like nylon there is PVC truck side curtain material

to make a replica of the lighter Nylon .. that is the deck of the Flat bed*.. or make a rigid bed and strap down a duffle bag.

the Worker-owner CoOp era used 406 wheels with 2 regular front hubs the Private company uses single sided 16"

but feel free to re lace a larger rim..

I also have a Carry Freedom City trailer , the vendor fitted a Chariot hitch (Thule) elastomer is a Ball , rotates within the hitch ..

I use my Brompton, the ball rotated freely when I Use the rear wheel fold under 'kickstand'..

Last edited by fietsbob; 10-08-15 at 06:59 PM.
Old 10-09-15, 11:37 AM
andychrist
Devil's Advocate

Bikes: Fuji Del Rey, Bacchetta Giro 20, RANS Stratus XP XL, RANS Stratus XP XXL, RANS Stratus LE XL

Thanks guys. But it seems the Carry Freedom is no longer available anywhere here in the States; if I'm wrong, anyone have a link to the 20" model?

Burley's current flatbed is just 16" and like I said, am not a fan of their hitch. The way the two clips rust make it a PITA to use. And the bike has to be pretty much standing upright to connect/disconnect the tow arm, especially when the trailer is loaded.

Best option for me currently looks like the Quik-Pac, as it comes with the radical Design hitch and 20" wheels (same as front wheel of both my cargo 'bents, so no extra 16" spare tubes to carry). Would just have to figure out a way to install a bed or otherwise mount something like a Rubbermaid Action Packer. Wondering if I could install the axle in the upper position and pass it through the container's side walls if they were drilled out. Give a lower center of gravity but should still be able to pass over curbs, as my rear wheel is 28."

This is what happened to my Nomad, which is what I'd like to avoid in the future:
Old 10-09-15, 11:48 AM
Cyclosaurus

Bikes: 1993 NOS Mt Shasta Tempest, Motobecane Fantom Cross CX, Dahon Speed D7, Dahon Vector P8, Bullitt Superfly

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Looks like Thor is still selling the Carry Freedom 20": Carry Freedom Trailer
Old 10-09-15, 03:10 PM
andychrist
Devil's Advocate

Thanks Cyclo!

The hitch on that trailer looks kinda Burleyish though.
Old 10-09-15, 03:25 PM
CliffordK

Mentioned: 217 Post(s)
Quoted: 18354 Post(s)
Liked 4,502 Times in 3,346 Posts
It looks like you're dragging that bar across something, or disconnecting the trailer a lot and dragging it around.

If it was me, I'd reinforce the fabric, then maybe open up a used MTB tire and tie/sew it along the bottom of the frame. An hour or two of work, and it would be better than new.

Maybe I'll have to look at some of my kid's trailers and see if I'm getting similar wear.

-----------------------------

Or, thinking of a wear strip, also you could put a strip of aluminum across the bottom, and screw it down.

Last edited by CliffordK; 10-09-15 at 03:47 PM.
Old 10-09-15, 04:11 PM
andychrist
Devil's Advocate

Nah I almost never disconnect the trailer, it's on my cargo bike and they generally stay coupled together under my porch when not in use. On the rare occasion that I do wheel it separately, it's usually just to get up the grass embankment to my second story apartment. OTOH, while this Nomad only sees rural use, there are few places where it catches curbs, such as the local convenience store and one of the malls out in town. So a paltry few hundred shopping runs and the fabric floor is shot in front. Don't understand why Burley had to lower the frame so much there, it only rides about three inches off the ground.

Yeah am considering sewing on some kind of reinforced patch with my vintage industrial Singer, and maybe screwing on an aluminum or acrylic guard over that, if I can find something suitable at the hardware store.
Old 10-10-15, 05:23 PM
MichaelW

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
The carry freedom hitch is durable and rated for much more weight than the trailer.
I use my 20" version for hauling all kinds of awkward objects. I have a plastic bin for shopping. Quick flatpack storage is a real bonus.
If you need a semi-ridgid flatbed for your trailer, line it with corrugated plastic. Radius and tape the edges to minimise wear.
Old 10-11-15, 06:23 AM
wahoonc
Membership Not Required

Bikes: Giant Excursion, Raleigh Sports, Raleigh R.S.W. Compact, Motobecane? and about 20 more! OMG

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 14 Posts
I would consider going to 406 rims laced up on the existing hubs, then put a flat bed on the frame made out of thin plywood. Another expensive option would be to purchase something like a Bike at Works trailer, which is designed for utility hauling.

Aaron

ISO: A late 1980's Giant Iguana MTB frameset (or complete bike) 23" Red with yellow graphics.

"Cycling should be a way of life, not a hobby.
RIDE, YOU FOOL, RIDE!"
_Nicodemus

"Steel: nearly a thousand years of metallurgical development
Aluminum: barely a hundred
Which one would you rather have under your butt at 30mph?"
_krazygluon
Old 10-11-15, 02:04 PM
fietsbob
Banned

after you hire a sewing job to patch the part You drag over curbs , add a skid plate of a bit more metal outside of it .

here is a US Source of Carry freedom like trailers https://www.biketrailershop.com/wand...ers-c-284.html

Last edited by fietsbob; 10-11-15 at 02:10 PM.
Old 10-13-15, 11:56 PM
andychrist
Devil's Advocate

Um... My Nomad trailer already has 16" wheels, I was looking for 20" in a new one.

Anyway I bit the bullet and ordered a new canvas floor and cover from Burley at enormous expense. Not the easiest transaction either because their catalog was a bit screwed up as to model years and parts descriptions, but service representative Jay was diligent enough to correct the errors in the listings and point me to the correct articles. Also, found some light weight alloy flashing in the shed; once I receive the new floor, will try to affix a length of the metal to the outer frame over the area that sees wear. Will also cut a section of Masonite or 1/8" ply to rest over the floor, just between the front end and the divider, as that is where I usually rest the heaviest loads such as paint and bags of concrete. When the entire Nomad wears out, will look to replace it with a genuine flat bed with 20" wheels such as the Carry Freedom, or maybe just modify a Quik-Pak with a rigid platform if that's possible.
Old 10-14-15, 02:55 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Try to find a former Burly Co Op made Trailer *. you have the more recent Philippine export ..

(brand was Privatized as a result of CoOp bankruptcy and subsequent buying the brand name ) ..

Round tube draw bar .. the wheels are supported from Both sides , and use Common Front Hubs ..

Though for added width the wheels are Dished to be further apart , wider track.. 406 rim/tires.

*Kid trailers re sell , remake it for your cargo needs..

Last edited by fietsbob; 10-14-15 at 02:59 PM.
Old 10-15-15, 12:55 PM
martin_at_gbc

Bikes: Diamondback Hybrid 78

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by andychrist
Am on my second Burley Nomad and already the canvas is wearing on the front bottom, due to contact with curbs. Poor design to have the frame so low in that particular area. Was looking at the Quik-Pak; like the 20" wheels and Radical Design hitch, but the trailer doesn't look like it would be the greatest at hauling heavy/dense items like gallons of paint and such, as it is essentially just a dry bag resting in an X frame. (Manufacturer states a stiff panel may be added for support but that it will cause the bag's fabric to wear.) Also the tie down straps might not be the most user friendly for frequent use while running errands — my take is that this trailer is intended mostly for touring, where one only breaks camp once a day. Thinking a simple flatbed trailer with similar specs as to wheel size and hitch would work well for me, in conjunction with one of those oval orange plastic containers in which to cram all the crap I'm always schlepping around. Anybody know, is there a 20" wheeled flat bed trailer available somewhere that's compatible with the Radical Design hitch (because I don't particularly care for Burley's, which though it has never failed me is a bit finicky and has parts that rust fast.)

Thanks in advance.
Try the Maya Cycle bicycle trailer. It might fit your needs

Old 10-16-15, 09:48 AM
andychrist
Devil's Advocate

Originally Posted by fietsbob
Try to find a former Burly Co Op made Trailer *. you have the more recent Philippine export ..

(brand was Privatized as a result of CoOp bankruptcy and subsequent buying the brand name ) ..

Round tube draw bar .. the wheels are supported from Both sides , and use Common Front Hubs ..

Though for added width the wheels are Dished to be further apart , wider track.. 406 rim/tires.

*Kid trailers re sell , remake it for your cargo needs..
The first Nomad I bought was made in the USA and the canvass was sewn all irregular; second one was perfect. Wheels began coming off first one by themselves but I must have gotten 20,000 mile out of the thing before relegating it to the scrap heap. Only have about six or seven thousand miles on my latest and already the canvass floor is shot. Fortunately the replacement floor I received has a vinyl reinforcement sewn over the length of the area than can contact curbs, so Burley must have been made aware of the problem. New cover I ordered was assembled incorrectly so they are expediting me another that they'll have inspected beforehand.

First Burley I ever had was IIRC the Bee, which I did revamp with a Masonite floor support to bear heavy cargo. Lost that trailer when one of my tenants burned down my garage.
Old 10-16-15, 10:05 AM
fietsbob
Banned

as I suggested set a couple Grommets in the part the lower bar is behind , cut a piece of metal to be a Skid Plate below that lowest part.

And screw that into that lower bar ,, that will take the wear an tear dragging the trailer over curbs, rather than the fabric.

You wore thru the same PVC strip on the other one , maybe you need to overcompensate for your use patterns.

you can always have the wheels rebuilt with a 406 rim also , Using the same Hub..

or there are higher end hubs made for Wheel chairs that are featuring better bearings

I Have a Older tarp bottomed Flat bed.. I like it ..

Last edited by fietsbob; 10-16-15 at 10:11 AM.
Old 10-16-15, 12:54 PM
andychrist
Devil's Advocate

Yeah I actually have a grommet gun in my tool bag here. Dunno where I put the grommets though (recently moved and am still not all unpacked.) Like I said though the new floor comes with a vinyl reinforcement there anyway but won't be as durable as the alloy flashing I plan on using.

Had considered going 20" on this Burley but a couple problems: 16" hubs are only 20 spoke, and: Nomad design is such that increasing wheel diameter will only raise the front end of the trailer a little more than an inch, not enough to allow it to ride over curbs. OTOH, it would elevate the rear end two inches, making it that much easier to access the 0-ring tabs that secure the cover. Stop tempting me! ;-)
Old 02-13-16, 06:30 PM
fietsbob
Banned

put some small wheels on the Low point.. to roll rather than drag over curbs

but dont you have corner curb cuts & driveway cuts in the curb?

Carry Freedom Y frames are also available thru the Bike trailer shop https://www.biketrailershop.com/wand...ers-c-284.html

Want to haul More ? https://www.bikesatwork.com/

Last edited by fietsbob; 02-19-16 at 12:14 PM.
Old 03-23-16, 06:26 PM
syncro87

Bikes: Raleigh Willard 2, Spec Sequoia Elite, State 4130 AllRoad, Catrike Expedition, Mercier Nano mini velo

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
I'll chime in here way late just to defend the honor of the Nomad for anyone that's considering one.

I've had my Nomad for years and have hauled it all over the place with multiple bikes. No fabric wear issue whatsoever. I guess I use curb cuts/ramps or driveways. Have never felt the need to crash and drag the trailer directly over the curb.

In my humble opinion, the Nomad is some of the best money I've ever spent. Super useful, and quite durable unless blatantly abused. Yes, with all due respect, I would consider routinely dragging it over curbs as abuse.

If you absolutely lived in a land with no curb cuts at all, you could lift the trailer with a block, relocating the axles, or fab a skid plate up front pretty easily. But in my experience, completely unnecessary unless you just don't pay any attention to curb cut access, or live on a planet without any cuts.

https://www.platypoda.com/access/img/curbcut.jpg

Last edited by syncro87; 03-23-16 at 06:32 PM.
Old 03-24-16, 06:39 AM
andychrist
Devil's Advocate

Um... I put over 20,000 miles on my first Nomad before the wheels fell off. But I have no control over how municipalities design their walkways and commercial centers. So where there are no curb cuts I can't just magically will them into existence. Furthermore, Burley must have realized there was a problem with wear in that regard because subsequent models came with vinyl reinforcement along the vulnerable edge. Otherwise it is a great design but does not lend itself to modification.
Old 04-25-16, 08:12 AM
andychrist
Devil's Advocate

Well upon disassembly of the Burley to replace the worn canvasses I discovered that part of the aluminum frame was cracked. Thought I could replace it with the identical member from my older Nomad but turned out the connecting bolts on that one were securely coroded in place, no way to free it from the rest of the frame whatsoever. So bit the bullet and ordered a Quik-Pak. Currently having a "blow-out" sale on the latest model which had a little manufacturing defect of pin holes in the corners (of the cargo hold I guess) which they've since sealed so that the issue is [supposedly] merely cosmetic. Don't particularly care as will be installing either a plastic bin or corrugated plastic bottom as MichaelW suggested, and water-proofness is not a major concern for me.

Just wondering what's the widest tires that will fit the rims of the Quik-Pak's 20" wheels? Willing to forfeit a bit of rolling resistance in return for the extra cushioning of some big fat balloons — some of the roads around here are crazy rough.
Old 04-27-16, 03:45 PM
Miele Man

Bikes: iele Latina, Miele Suprema, Miele Uno LS, Miele Miele Beta, MMTB, Bianchi Model Unknown, Fiori Venezia, Fiori Napoli, VeloSport Adamas AX

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1324 Post(s)
Liked 927 Times in 640 Posts
Originally Posted by andychrist
Thanks guys. But it seems the Carry Freedom is no longer available anywhere here in the States; if I'm wrong, anyone have a link to the 20" model?

Burley's current flatbed is just 16" and like I said, am not a fan of their hitch. The way the two clips rust make it a PITA to use. And the bike has to be pretty much standing upright to connect/disconnect the tow arm, especially when the trailer is loaded.

Best option for me currently looks like the Quik-Pac, as it comes with the radical Design hitch and 20" wheels (same as front wheel of both my cargo 'bents, so no extra 16" spare tubes to carry). Would just have to figure out a way to install a bed or otherwise mount something like a Rubbermaid Action Packer. Wondering if I could install the axle in the upper position and pass it through the container's side walls if they were drilled out. Give a lower center of gravity but should still be able to pass over curbs, as my rear wheel is 28."

This is what happened to my Nomad, which is what I'd like to avoid in the future:
How about using some of that split PVC pipe wrap over the area that's worn and also to prevent more wear? You can use a couple or or even three layers to make it really durable. Just replace the outer layer when it's chwed up.

Cheers
Old 05-07-16, 05:55 PM
andychrist
Devil's Advocate

Well seeing that the Burley frame was not fully repairable, converted the thing to a flat bed to use with my Giro 20 on recycling runs; will be towing the new Quik-Pak on my old LWB with the 28 drive wheel — all their heights match up pretty well so the trailers are level.

Last edited by andychrist; 05-07-16 at 05:58 PM.