Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Clydesdales/Athenas (200+ lb / 91+ kg)
Reload this Page >

Trying for my 30 mile "milestone"

Search
Notices
Clydesdales/Athenas (200+ lb / 91+ kg) Looking to lose that spare tire? Ideal weight 200+? Frustrated being a large cyclist in a sport geared for the ultra-light? Learn about the bikes and parts that can take the abuse of a heavier cyclist, how to keep your body going while losing the weight, and get support from others who've been successful.

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-17, 04:51 PM
bigbiker1

Bikes: 2013 All City Mr. Pink, 2016 Jamis DXT Comp

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 177 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

If I can get a saddle that I can sit in long enough, I would really like to try for a 30 mile ride this week. Tomorrow I get my new pedals that are Shimano PD-m324 SPD/platform, it will be my first time using clipless. Friday and Saturday both are supposed to be in the low 60s early when I will ride so those would be great days to get it done. As far as using the clipless pedals, I will set them on the lowest tension to make it easier to get in and out. The trail where I will ride has no cross traffic so I should only need to stop for breaks, do you think after a day or two of practice I will be ok using them on a longer trip? I am hoping that I will have a similar experience that I did when I was much younger and used toe clips for the first time, riding seemed easier.
Old 07-25-17, 07:37 PM
SlowRider65

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
In regards to getting used to the lipless pedals, I would got o a football, soccer, etc field near by and ride around and just practice getting in and out of them. You will fall so might as well do it somewhere that you won't get hurt
Old 07-25-17, 08:18 PM
macpolski

Bikes: Trek FX 3 Disc, Domane 2.3, Trek Navigator 300

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Originally Posted by SlowRider65
In regards to getting used to the lipless pedals, I would got o a football, soccer, etc field near by and ride around and just practice getting in and out of them. You will fall so might as well do it somewhere that you won't get hurt
Been there, and done that!! Not the football field, but the falling. Sometimes the brain fails to tell the feet to twist the shoes out of the pedals.
Old 07-25-17, 10:37 PM
CommuteCommando

Bikes: KHS Alite 500, Trek 7.2 FX , Masi Partenza, Masi Fixed Special, Masi Cran Criterium

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked 19 Times in 11 Posts
I ride a Brooks Chrysium (not sure of spelling) Not cheap, but less than their leather seats, no break in and worth it.
Old 07-26-17, 09:52 AM
kc0bbq

Bikes: 2006 Raleigh Cadent 2.0, 2016 Trek Emonda ALR 6, 2015 Propel Advanced SL 2, 2000 K2 Zed SE

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 115 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Everyone has clipless mishaps. Everyone. I had one this year, and I've been using them for quite a while. Sometimes things happen faster than you can deal with. Just try to fall to fall on the non-drive side.
Old 07-29-17, 08:48 AM
cyclist2000

Bikes: Masi, Giant TCR, Eisentraut (retired), Jamis Aurora Elite, Zullo, Cannondale, 84 & 93 Stumpjumpers, Waterford, Tern D8, Bianchi, Gunner Roadie, Serotta, Serotta Duette, was gifted a Diamond Back

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 305 Post(s)
Liked 2,038 Times in 604 Posts
Originally Posted by macpolski
Been there, and done that!! Not the football field, but the falling. Sometimes the brain fails to tell the feet to twist the shoes out of the pedals.
or it tells you to unclip the right when leaning to the left.
Old 07-29-17, 08:55 AM
cyclist2000

Bikes: Masi, Giant TCR, Eisentraut (retired), Jamis Aurora Elite, Zullo, Cannondale, 84 & 93 Stumpjumpers, Waterford, Tern D8, Bianchi, Gunner Roadie, Serotta, Serotta Duette, was gifted a Diamond Back

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 305 Post(s)
Liked 2,038 Times in 604 Posts
you could always take a 5 minute break at the half way point to take some pressure of your seat.
Old 07-31-17, 02:18 PM
Milton Keynes

Bikes: Trek 1100 road bike, Roadmaster gravel/commuter/beater mountain bike

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 2281 Post(s)
Liked 1,710 Times in 936 Posts
Or get a bigger seat. I know a lot of people here say it's all about your seat meeting the sit bones correctly, which I won't dispute, but I have a wide memory foam seat on my hybrid that I wouldn't trade for anything. I never, ever have butt discomfort even on hours-long rides.
Old 07-31-17, 04:06 PM
MikeRides

Bikes: Trek 1.1

Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Milton Keynes
Or get a bigger seat. I know a lot of people here say it's all about your seat meeting the sit bones correctly, which I won't dispute, but I have a wide memory foam seat on my hybrid that I wouldn't trade for anything. I never, ever have butt discomfort even on hours-long rides.
Definitely YMMV. I used to ride on a large, cushy gel-esque seat, and i found my rear end would get numb after 20 miles. My road bike has a extremely hard seat but I find my bike shorts do a good job at reducing the discomfort on longer rides. The advice I once gave a friend who wouldn't ride because of seat discomfort was to simply stand and pedal every few minutes. It's one reason why I really loathe flat riding, I'll go out of my way to find some hills just so I have an excuse to stand up and put down more torque.
Old 07-31-17, 08:47 PM
Staypuft1652

Quoted: 64 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Definitely practice with the m324's. Learn how they hang and get them wore in some so they will reliably hang where they usually will.
Old 07-31-17, 08:55 PM
bigbiker1

Bikes: 2013 All City Mr. Pink, 2016 Jamis DXT Comp

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 177 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Staypuft1652
Definitely practice with the m324's. Learn how they hang and get them wore in some so they will reliably hang where they usually will.
I am doing pretty good with them so far, no spills yet. I did panic once and unclipped both feet at the same time and ended up getting a deep puncture in my leg from the pedal. Other than that once I got the cleats placed right they have been good.
Old 07-31-17, 09:11 PM
Staypuft1652

Quoted: 64 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by bigbiker1
I am doing pretty good with them so far, no spills yet. I did panic once and unclipped both feet at the same time and ended up getting a deep puncture in my leg from the pedal. Other than that once I got the cleats placed right they have been good.
Right on! I never got totally used to them. They were nice pedals tho. Imo also not everyone takes a spill on clipless. Had some close calls though. If I recall correctly the m324's come with the multi release cleats, which in case of an emergency violently flailing works usually (for me lol).

The whole process becomes second nature real quick, like everyone says about practicing in an open soft area, you get used to unclipping quick and it becomes normal. A good habit is to have one foot ready to go at intersections and what-not. Your legs develop muscle memory.

I don't know if you had the cleats professionally installed, or what shoes you have, but you may get whats known as "hot spots" after some miles clipped in. You have the benefit of having the platforms on the other side. Hot spots are just some soreness/numbness in areas of your foot. Spinning rather than mashing helps this alot also.

Last edited by Staypuft1652; 07-31-17 at 09:26 PM.
Old 08-01-17, 01:47 PM
CommuteCommando

Bikes: KHS Alite 500, Trek 7.2 FX , Masi Partenza, Masi Fixed Special, Masi Cran Criterium

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked 19 Times in 11 Posts
A bigger/wider seat is not necessarily the answer. even for a Clyde, a narrow road bike saddle can work well. I ride a brooks saddle and it works well, I have done century rides on it at 5'10", 220 lbs.