Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

How come hardly any bikes posted here have pumps?

Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

How come hardly any bikes posted here have pumps?

Old 08-27-18, 03:15 PM
GregU

Bikes: 2008 Specialized Roubaix Elite, 2002 Specialized Sirius Pro, 1985 Vitus 979 (DuraAce 7400), 1985 Bianchi Trofeo

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked 25 Times in 15 Posts
Originally Posted by OldFartCyclist
Can you imagine the comments from the "Hot or Not?" bunch?
Most ran through my head scrolling down the page. Unfortunately, there are some things you just can't unsee. ;-)

To stay on topic, I carry a small bag in my jersey pocket with the essentials. Pump, tube, tire levers, patch kit, credit card, $20, driver's license.
Old 08-27-18, 03:51 PM
Wildwood 
Veteran, Pacifist

Bikes: Bikes??? Thought this was social media?!?

Mentioned: 284 Post(s)
Quoted: 3897 Post(s)
Liked 4,824 Times in 2,227 Posts
I love vintage pumps with a bike to match.

Old 08-27-18, 04:12 PM
Colnago Mixte

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 897 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 8 Posts
Originally Posted by swedefinn
In the US, I can't carry one that is accessible to thieves so it is always in my handlebar bag that unclips easily to carry. Need that also 'cause I can't leave a small seat bag on the bike 'cause it will be stolen too. I bought a small Lezyne pump and use Schwalbe Marathons that average a flat every 1.5 years. the new ones perhaps never. Anyway, even when travelling in more civilized countries I keep the pump in the bag so I don't knock it loose when riding or carrying the bike through rough stuff....I should sell my old Silca pumps.....

Mark Hillman
Seattle WA USA
I forgot about the Lezyne pumps, they have a super-skinny one, I believe it's the one below, that will actually fit inside your seatpost. Very handy, but unfortunately, as luck would have it, that's the bike I'm constantly getting flats on.

Yes, it is a bit of a pain to take it out and put it back, but it's really worth it having the thing completely out of sight. It's a decent pump too, not cheap.

https://www.lezyne.com/product-hpumps-hp-litedrive.php
Old 08-27-18, 05:00 PM
CroMo Mike 
All Campy All The Time

Bikes: Listed in my signature.

Quoted: 177 Post(s)
Liked 114 Times in 63 Posts
I have lots of pumps and CO2, too. But on my daily rides I use the E.T. method. I call home. I've only had to do that twice in 7 years.
1988 Pinarello Montello, 1990 Masi Nuova Strada Super Record,
1995 Bianchi Campione d'Italia, 1995 DeBernardi Thron

Old 08-27-18, 05:03 PM
benadrian
the slow guy

Bikes: Trek Emonda SL6, BMC GF02 Disc

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have CO2 in my saddlebag and a small pump in my jersey pocket for when I flub the CO2 cartridge. If I had a touring or classic vintage bike, I would totally rock the frame pump.
Old 08-28-18, 07:50 AM
phil_k

Bikes: N/A

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by ksryder
How many seconds on a 40k TT do you gain wearing lycra on the train?
Depends on if you take the TGV or the slow train.
Old 08-28-18, 07:54 AM
bocobiking
bocobiking

Bikes: 1974 Schwinn Paramount, 1974 Raleigh Super Course, 1984 Columbine, 1979 Richard Sachs, 2003 Serotta Legend Ti, 2005 Serotta Concours

Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Liked 46 Times in 28 Posts

Obsolete, I guess, but I sure like it when I need it.
Old 08-28-18, 01:37 PM
u235

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 437 Post(s)
Liked 133 Times in 86 Posts
Originally Posted by bocobiking

Obsolete, I guess, but I sure like it when I need it.
Unrelated, never thought about it, any non obvious pros/cons with top exit brake cables vs an under wrap style? Just wondering, I don't ever remember having a set myself.
Old 08-28-18, 03:18 PM
bocobiking
bocobiking

Bikes: 1974 Schwinn Paramount, 1974 Raleigh Super Course, 1984 Columbine, 1979 Richard Sachs, 2003 Serotta Legend Ti, 2005 Serotta Concours

Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Liked 46 Times in 28 Posts
Originally Posted by u235
Unrelated, never thought about it, any non obvious pros/cons with top exit brake cables vs an under wrap style? Just wondering, I don't ever remember having a set myself.
None really that I know of. That was what we had when I started cycling. I really like the aesthetic, and my handlebars feel naked without them.
Old 08-28-18, 03:30 PM
Colnago Mixte

Quoted: 897 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 8 Posts
Ever hit a bump and knock your hands off the bars, and grab the cables to regain control?

That seems like something those cables would be really good for. But I don't know whether that would fall into the category of "obvious" or "non-obvious".
Old 08-28-18, 03:54 PM
downhillmaster

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 980 Post(s)
Liked 776 Times in 402 Posts
No pump, no tools, no water bottles.
My typical rides are less than two hours and I don’t live in the boondocks. I have plenty of friends or family members that have no issues picking me up on average once or twice a year and most importantly, I am not an accessory laden, spandex clad tenderfoot.
Old 08-28-18, 03:57 PM
zaqwert6
New but not Noob

Bikes: Madone Litespeed Paramount Colnago

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Couple CO2 carts and nozzle in the seat bag. Plus a patch kit and and extra tube. Btw.
Old 08-28-18, 08:10 PM
Cougrrcj

Bikes: A few...

Quoted: 620 Post(s)
Liked 370 Times in 256 Posts
Of my four 'road' bikes, two have old school full-size Zefal HP frame pumps, and one has a mini (but also frame mounted). Fuji S-10S and Univega Viva Sport wear the full-size frame-mounted Zefals, and the Miyata 710 has a mini Topeak. The Uni touring doesn't have a dedicated pump -- yet. I haven't needed to use any of them in over 20 years since no flats on my commute ( but my patch kit has been replaced due to age at least four times!). But I have used the floor pump quite a but to fill tires to the correct pressure before rides, after fixing a pesky 'slow leak', or when putting on new tires/tubes.

Sorry, no pics of either Uni with pumps...

Old 08-29-18, 06:44 AM
seanps999

Bikes: 1987 Trek 850

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Simple: Pumps are smaller than they used to be

For some folks, “pump“ (other than a floor pump, that is) means “frame pump“. But, for a decade or two, mini-pumps have been growing in popularity. Less weight to carry, and a pump that lives in a bag won’t get stolen, and dirty, the way a frame pump does. I’m tempted to say, by the way, that anyone surprised not to see more frame pumps on bikes must not lock a bicycle up in a city very often!
-Sean
Old 08-29-18, 08:55 AM
I-Like-To-Bike
Been Around Awhile

Bikes: Vaterland and Ragazzi

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 1,529 Times in 1,042 Posts
Originally Posted by downhillmaster
No pump, no tools, no water bottles.
My typical rides are less than two hours and I don’t live in the boondocks. I have plenty of friends or family members that have no issues picking me up on average once or twice a year and most importantly, I am not an accessory laden, spandex clad tenderfoot.
What do you call a person who takes advantage of friends and family members' naive willingness to repeatedly rescue him from his own self induced predicaments?
Old 08-29-18, 09:04 AM
DrIsotope
Non omnino gravis

Bikes: Nekobasu, Pandicorn, Lakitu

Mentioned: 119 Post(s)
Quoted: 4905 Post(s)
Liked 1,731 Times in 958 Posts
Don't encourage him! I carry a pump + CO2 specifically so I don't have to inconvenience anyone. He bothers people on the internet, why would he not bother people in the real world?
Old 08-29-18, 09:23 AM
leob1

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 292 Post(s)
Liked 106 Times in 69 Posts
I used to carry a pump, a Zefal HPx. The last time I saw it was right before it went under a truck tire after it jumped ship one time too many. Completely flattened. Since then it's been co2 in the seat bag.
Old 08-29-18, 03:18 PM
SlowJoeCrow

Bikes: Redline Conquest Pro, Kona Cinder Cone, Trek Fuel EX8(RIP) Pivot Mach 5 frankenbike

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 9 Posts
Full sized frame pumps only look right on classic styled frames. I've carried a mid sized pump on a bottle cage mount but lately I keep a mini-pump in the seat pack or a bigger pump in my CamelBak on my MTB.
Old 08-30-18, 08:06 PM
52telecaster
ambulatory senior

Bikes: Austro Daimler modified by Gugie! Raleigh Professional and lots of other bikes.

Mentioned: 76 Post(s)
Quoted: 1954 Post(s)
Liked 3,657 Times in 1,677 Posts
Originally Posted by benadrian
I love that bike, as well as your username, 52Tele.
ty!
Old 08-30-18, 09:06 PM
downhillmaster

Originally Posted by I-Like-To-Bike
What do you call a person who takes advantage of friends and family members' naive willingness to repeatedly rescue him from his own self induced predicaments?
naive willingness?
You don’t know what the word naive means do you?
Old 08-30-18, 09:20 PM
woodcraft

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1814 Post(s)
Liked 923 Times in 569 Posts
Cables can get kinked, espec. if bike is (don't do this) turn upside down,

cable loops make a good place to carry your french bread loaf.
Old 08-30-18, 09:28 PM
downhillmaster

Originally Posted by DrIsotope
Don't encourage him! I carry a pump + CO2 specifically so I don't have to inconvenience anyone. He bothers people on the internet, why would he not bother people in the real world?
Aren’t you still confused from overtraining at 17mph a couple years ago Lance?
Old 08-30-18, 10:06 PM
HTupolev

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Quoted: 1974 Post(s)
Liked 1,298 Times in 630 Posts
When brake levers with modern cable routing first caught on, they were touted as "aero" brake levers because the cable housing was brought out of the wind and against the bars, and the old-style levers became "non-aero" levers. Which is unfortunate, because aerodynamics are the least interesting thing about the change.

The main effect of the new cable routing was that it created more freedom for placing the brake lever pivot.
The old levers are very similar to flat-bar brake levers. The location where the cable enters the brake hood means that, in order for a lever squeeze to pull cable, the pivot has to be positioned in the middle of the brake hood body. This is fine when braking from the drops, but it means that in order to actuate the lever when riding on the hoods, your hands have to "push the lever down" as much as squeeze it. This makes braking from the hoods much clumsier and weaker. Shown below, red is the lever and purple is more or less what your hands do when braking from the hoods:

In modern levers, because the cable comes from below, the pivot can be located on the main part of the lever, allowing for a more natural squeeze actuation when riding on the hoods.
(Some would argue that easier braking on the hoods leads to bad riding habits. )

There are some ergonomic implications of the new cable routing. Most notably, if you're using a hand position that sticks your arms out underneath the cables (such as phantom aerobars, or holding onto the inside of the hoods while resting your forearms on the tops), you need to take care to pull your hand back and out from the cables before moving it to another hand position. (If you forget to do so, and your hand bops the brake cables, it's not fun.)

Between the easier braking from the hoods, and the integration of shifters to the hoods, the "hoods" hand position has become a lot more of a primary hand position than it used to be. Non-aero hoods are best thought of as a grip nub, while modern aero hoods have become big handrests.

As woodcraft noted, non-aero cable routing is more amenable to a bicycle that is turned upside-down.
(As woodcraft also noted, you probably don't have a good reason to turn a bicycle upside-down anyway.)

The main advantage of non-aero levers is that they look really good on most vintage bikes.
The functional advantage of non-aero levers is that the handlebar wrapping and the brake cable routing have nothing to do with each other. No need to mess with handlebar tape when messing with brake routing. (For old road bikes that had downtube or stem shifters, there was no shifter housing under the bar tape either.)
Old 08-31-18, 10:25 AM
I-Like-To-Bike
Been Around Awhile

Bikes: Vaterland and Ragazzi

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 1,529 Times in 1,042 Posts
Originally Posted by downhillmaster

naive willingness?
You don’t know what the word naive means do you?
I correctly described identified your friends and relatives willingness to answer your periodic rescue (from your laziness/refusal to plan for likely flats) calls as naive. You may prefer to think of them as gullible, if not suckers.
Old 09-01-18, 09:24 AM
Metieval

Bikes: Road bike, Hybrid, Gravel, Drop bar SS, hard tail MTB

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1218 Post(s)
Liked 298 Times in 214 Posts
I am not sorry that you can't see my tire pump.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.