Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Training & Nutrition
Reload this Page >

Best liquid to stay hydrated when its hot?

Search
Notices
Training & Nutrition Learn how to develop a training schedule that's good for you. What should you eat and drink on your ride? Learn everything you need to know about training and nutrition here.

Best liquid to stay hydrated when its hot?

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-18, 07:42 AM
genec
genec

Bikes: custom built, sannino, beachbike, giant trance x2

Mentioned: 86 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 13658 Post(s)
Liked 4,532 Times in 3,158 Posts
Study after study have shown that water is the best liquid for fluid replacement.
Old 08-28-18, 09:38 AM
KraneXL

Bikes: Cannondale Quick SL1 Bike - 2014

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Quoted: 3405 Post(s)
Liked 240 Times in 185 Posts
Originally Posted by genec
Study after study have shown that water is the best liquid for fluid replacement.
Maybe, but the trick to any study results is the question that was asked. Thing is, all things being equal those studies would be true. However, things dealing with the body are rarely that static for long. After a time, water alone just won't be enough.
Old 08-28-18, 12:01 PM
u235

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 437 Post(s)
Liked 133 Times in 86 Posts
Originally Posted by KraneXL
Maybe, but the trick to any study results is the question that was asked. Thing is, all things being equal those studies would be true. However, things dealing with the body are rarely that static for long. After a time, water alone just won't be enough.
When all you need is water, water is the logical replacement. Sometimes you need more than water. Is Gatorade or equivalent the extra you need? No idea.

Last edited by u235; 08-28-18 at 01:24 PM.
Old 08-28-18, 12:14 PM
Rollfast
What happened?

Bikes: 3 Rollfasts, 3 Schwinns, a Shelby and a Higgins Flightliner in a pear tree!

Mentioned: 57 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1835 Post(s)
Liked 292 Times in 255 Posts
I would suggest bringing a snack or stopping to eat at some point. Fruits and nuts weren't invented for looks. Gatorade is a good idea but it was created from really poor necessity, making young men wearing heavy gear and clothing run around in the scorching heat and then dying from it. Really a ridiculous extreme that isn't found in many other situations. Give it a fake fruit flavor and market it as a health aid and people see it as better than carbonated soda drinks.

A product made for a man-made problem. The word 'hydrated' has the root 'hydra', and that means water. Water has no calories but is the catalyst for all of your body's functions.
Old 08-28-18, 12:24 PM
redlude97

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 1975 Post(s)
Liked 232 Times in 173 Posts
Uh....https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC5334560/
Old 08-28-18, 02:13 PM
genec
genec

Bikes: custom built, sannino, beachbike, giant trance x2

Mentioned: 86 Post(s)
Quoted: 13658 Post(s)
Liked 4,532 Times in 3,158 Posts
Originally Posted by redlude97
And their conclusion:

Drinking beyond thirst continues to be the primary pathophysiological factor in the development of EAH, regardless of mode of physical activity. Administration of hypertonic saline continues to be lifesaving, with treatment largely guided by clinical signs and symptoms. For mild to moderate EAH (without altered mental status), fluid restriction or oral hypertonic saline is recommended while for severe symptomatic EAH (with altered mental status), urgent administration of IV boluses of 100 mL 3% NaCl is required. Drinking according to the dictates of thirst, during and immediately following exercise will prevent the development of EAH when exercise is performed in temperate climates with duration of less than 17 h.
Bottom line, water is still the best fluid for hydration... but do not take in more water than was lost in sweat... (do not "gain" weight) and some sodium supplement is recommended for extremely long endurance bouts of exercise.

This basically says... yeah, you CAN even over do it with just water, so moderate.
Old 08-28-18, 02:30 PM
redlude97

And their conclusion:

Bottom line, water is still the best fluid for hydration... but do not take in more water than was lost in sweat... (do not "gain" weight) and some sodium supplement is recommended for extremely long endurance bouts of exercise.

This basically says... yeah, you CAN even over do it with just water, so moderate.
this thread is specifically about hot conditions, where even while losing water weight you are succeptable, water alone is a bad idea
Old 08-28-18, 03:04 PM
DrIsotope
Non omnino gravis

Bikes: Nekobasu, Pandicorn, Lakitu

Mentioned: 119 Post(s)
Quoted: 4905 Post(s)
Liked 1,731 Times in 958 Posts
I actually snorted when I read "LOW SWEAT RATES." Oh god, I wish. On ANY bike ride lasting over 2 hours, I will lose 2 pounds, regardless of intensity. It's generally very dry here-- dry to the point that you often don't even feel the sweat-- it's gone as soon as it comes out of the skin. I've lost eight pounds over the course of a ride, while taking in over 15 pounds of liquid. I've also blown my electrolyte balance by not keeping my salt intake up with my sweat rate. If you've never experienced heat exhaustion, that's great-- I absolutely recommend against it.

Here's the bottom line, in my mind: the negative to taking in too much salt/electrolyte during a ride is some salt deposits on your skin and clothes. The negative to taking in too little salt and overheating could be blacking out and ending up in a ditch.

Oh, and for the people whose tummies can't handle Gatorade: water only for the first hour on the bike. I generally stick to this, unless it's very hot. I also never drink the Gatorade full strength until I'm well into a long ride-- say 3 hours into a 5+ hour ride. By that point, my body doesn't care. No matter how hot it is, or what level of intensity, I've never found the need for Gatorade, or anything other than water on rides of ~2 hours in length. Fueling and hydration strategy gets important when the ride is going to be 4+ hours.
Old 08-28-18, 03:10 PM
ThermionicScott 
working on my sandal tan

Bikes: 1991 Bianchi Eros, 1964 Armstrong, 1988 Diamondback Ascent, 1988 Bianchi Premio, 1987 Bianchi Sport SX, 1980s Raleigh mixte (hers), All-City Space Horse (hers)

Mentioned: 98 Post(s)
Quoted: 3871 Post(s)
Liked 2,568 Times in 1,579 Posts
Probably not beer, but it's so nice on a hot day.
People in this forum are not typical.
RUSA #7498
Old 08-28-18, 03:11 PM
redlude97

Originally Posted by DrIsotope
I actually snorted when I read "LOW SWEAT RATES." Oh god, I wish. On ANY bike ride lasting over 2 hours, I will lose 2 pounds, regardless of intensity. It's generally very dry here-- dry to the point that you often don't even feel the sweat-- it's gone as soon as it comes out of the skin. I've lost eight pounds over the course of a ride, while taking in over 15 pounds of liquid. I've also blown my electrolyte balance by not keeping my salt intake up with my sweat rate. If you've never experienced heat exhaustion, that's great-- I absolutely recommend against it.

Here's the bottom line, in my mind: the negative to taking in too much salt/electrolyte during a ride is some salt deposits on your skin and clothes. The negative to taking in too little salt and overheating could be blacking out and ending up in a ditch.

Oh, and for the people whose tummies can't handle Gatorade: water only for the first hour on the bike. I generally stick to this, unless it's very hot. I also never drink the Gatorade full strength until I'm well into a long ride-- say 3 hours into a 5+ hour ride. By that point, my body doesn't care. No matter how hot it is, or what level of intensity, I've never found the need for Gatorade, or anything other than water on rides of ~2 hours in length. Fueling and hydration strategy gets important when the ride is going to be 4+ hours.
I just buy the powder and mix it at a lower concentration, or if I know I'm going to be out for awhile mix it at a higher concentration in one bottle with plain water in the other and drink the gatorade sparingly and rinse down with water, and dilute when refilling with plan water as the day goes on. Has worked well for multiple centuries, and also works well when you have to stop at a gas station in the middle of nowhere and gatorade is your only option for electrolytes.
Old 08-28-18, 03:12 PM
DrIsotope
Non omnino gravis

Bikes: Nekobasu, Pandicorn, Lakitu

Mentioned: 119 Post(s)
Quoted: 4905 Post(s)
Liked 1,731 Times in 958 Posts
I stopped at a little family market in the middle of nowhere one ride, and all they had was Powerade.

I drank a chocolate milk.
Old 08-30-18, 09:42 PM
5kdad

Bikes: Felt Z100 road bike, Schwinn Frontier, Salsa Marrakesh, box-store tandem, and Sun Recumbent trike.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I use a product distributed my one of my sons-in-law's employer, https://www.hydrationhealth.com. They have 3 products, PrePlay, RePlay, and ProPlay. I prefer the ProPlay. Tastes great, has 3 times the electrolytes of Gatorade, and not as sweet. A lot of people like the RePlay, as it has 10 times the electrolytes of Gatorade and is naturally sweetened, but I don't like the flavor as well.
They will send you free samples. Go to this site, and fill out the request form at the bottom of the page: https://www.hydrationhealth.com/replay/
Old 08-31-18, 02:26 AM
KraneXL

Water of course. Its the foundation that provides the environment for all the other chemical reactions and transit of nutrients within the body to take place. However, we don't just lose water when we sweat/exercise, we also lose those electrolytes. No you don't need Gatorade/sports drinks (which are essentially water), they just make the re-balancing faster and more convenient.
Old 08-31-18, 12:58 PM
drewguy

Bikes: Trek Domane 4.3

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 193 Post(s)
Liked 50 Times in 35 Posts
Originally Posted by Rollfast
Gatorade is a good idea but it was created from really poor necessity, making young men wearing heavy gear and clothing run around in the scorching heat and then dying from it. Really a ridiculous extreme that isn't found in many other situations.
I'm not sure how significantly that differs from young and older men wearing tight gear pedaling around in scorching heat, which is the question here.
Old 08-31-18, 04:12 PM
OldTryGuy

Bikes: Day6 Semi Recumbent "FIREBALL", 1981 Custom Touring Paramount, 1983 Road Paramount, 2013 Giant Propel Advanced SL3, 2018 Specialized Red Roubaix Expert mech., 2002 Magna 7sp hybrid, 1976 Bassett Racing 45sp Cruiser

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 1068 Post(s)
Liked 785 Times in 504 Posts
Originally Posted by ThermionicScott
Probably not beer, but it's so nice on a hot day.

Preparing now for a 12:01AM departure if rains hold off. Another thru-the-night Midnight Madness ride with temps low 80'sF for start to 90's+F tomorrow at finish time. Smooth sailing should be 126 miles to 150. Water with lemon slices in one bottle and O'Doul's NA BEER with a lemon slice in the other.
Old 09-01-18, 06:10 PM
SylvainG

Bikes: Schwinn Miranda 1990, Giant TCX 2 2012

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 486 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 7 Posts
Here what I use for my riding long distance and especially if hot:

3 1//2 cup of ice cold water
1/4 cup of maple syrup (real stuff, not Aunt Jemima)
1/4 cup of pure orange juice (not the frozen stuff)
2 table spoon of lime or lemon juice
1/4 tea spoon of salt

Fits in two water bottle, topped with ice.
Old 09-01-18, 08:08 PM
u235

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 437 Post(s)
Liked 133 Times in 86 Posts
Originally Posted by SylvainG
Here what I use for my riding long distance and especially if hot:

3 1//2 cup of ice cold water
1/4 cup of maple syrup (real stuff, not Aunt Jemima)
1/4 cup of pure orange juice (not the frozen stuff)
2 table spoon of lime or lemon juice
1/4 tea spoon of salt

Fits in two water bottle, topped with ice.
What's a long distance? On hot days you can burn through 1/2 gallon fluid an hour. Two bottles of anything is gone in the first hour or two max. No way to replenish that on the road/trail. Sounds like a great combination though while it lasts. I typically ride where water is really the only choice to refill but I've found various marshmallow cereal based things like Rice Krispy treats serve me well. Taking 8 oz container of maple syrup with some salt in and mixing in my water might be an option. hmmmm.

Last edited by u235; 09-01-18 at 08:21 PM.
Old 09-01-18, 09:11 PM
KraneXL

Just for the record, sugar is sugar, so how its flavored mostly depends on the individual taste.
Old 09-01-18, 11:37 PM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 4559 Post(s)
Liked 2,802 Times in 1,800 Posts
Besides electrolytes -- a relatively recent bit of knowledge in the long history of thirst quenchers -- it's been known for centuries that a little sugar, honey, etc., aids rapidly digesting/absorbing water. Many traditional thirst quenchers documented back to the ancient Greeks and Romans contained a little honey or slightly sweetened diluted wine, vinegar or brine. Same with ginger and other herbs and additives that were believed to settle the stomach or give energy.

I'm sure it was just based on how people felt when trying to swallow a lot of plain water to rehydrate during high effort -- it feels like the water just sits in the stomach, leaving the person feeling bloated and not better hydrated. They experimented, found something that felt better, and it passed along via word of mouth, perhaps even part of military training regimens.

Incidentally, I didn't realize how much I sweat until Saturday. After a medical appointment I stopped at a friend's home to retrieve a bike I'd left there back in the spring after I was hit by a car. I was wearing cotton/linen blend shorts and a cotton pullover shirt. So I just rode the 12 miles home wearing that. Temp was in the mid to high 90s, dew point near 70, pretty muggy but breezy. By the 10 mile mark I was feeling draggy, saggy and soggy. Soon as I got home I pulled off my clothes -- everything was soaked in sweat and twice as heavy. Felt like at least a quart of sweat just in my shorts and shirt.

Reminds me of why I switched to mostly lightweight poly wicking fabrics, even in casual t-shirts and shorts for cycling. Besides feeling more comfortable I'm lugging less weight after a long ride.
Old 09-02-18, 08:23 AM
SylvainG

Originally Posted by u235
What's a long distance? On hot days you can burn through 1/2 gallon fluid an hour. Two bottles of anything is gone in the first hour or two max. No way to replenish that on the road/trail. Sounds like a great combination though while it lasts. I typically ride where water is really the only choice to refill but I've found various marshmallow cereal based things like Rice Krispy treats serve me well. Taking 8 oz container of maple syrup with some salt in and mixing in my water might be an option. hmmmm.
On a 100 km ride, I bring two bottles and a water bottle. I'll take a gulp of the energy bottle every 15 minutes and drink water at rest stops (one stop every 33 km) when I eat something.
Old 09-03-18, 03:26 AM
Richard Cranium

Bikes: 2003 LeMond -various other junk bikes

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 78 Post(s)
Liked 44 Times in 35 Posts
I'm glad the thread cleared everything up. Now everyone knows exactly how much, how often and most of all - just exactly WHAT mix everyone will drink for optimal performance.

And to think " the perfect drink solution " was all figured out from a keyboard, while sitting at a PC instead of riding miles and miles in hot weather.

Ain't life great......
Old 09-03-18, 09:32 AM
SylvainG

Originally Posted by Richard Cranium
I'm glad the thread cleared everything up. Now everyone knows exactly how much, how often and most of all - just exactly WHAT mix everyone will drink for optimal performance.

And to think " the perfect drink solution " was all figured out from a keyboard, while sitting at a PC instead of riding miles and miles in hot weather.

Ain't life great......
eh eh, I wrote mine less than 2 hours after a 108 km ride Granted it was just 25C but 35C with heat index.
Old 09-03-18, 04:58 PM
KraneXL

Ain't life great......
In other news, did you have anything useful to contribute? For the record, Gatorade already did all those tests. All that I needed to do was to determine if it worked for me better than plain water. It does.
Old 09-03-18, 05:57 PM
wolfchild
Banned

Bikes: I have 3 singlespeed/fixed gear bikes

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 4227 Post(s)
Liked 2,488 Times in 1,286 Posts

I believe that most people who post here are experienced rider and who have ridden a lot of miles over the years and they have experimented and figured out what works for them as individuals. I don't think anybody claimed to have a perfect drink solution that works for everybody...What is your ideal drink on a long ride ??
Old 10-01-18, 09:30 AM
Richard Cranium

Bikes: 2003 LeMond -various other junk bikes

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 78 Post(s)
Liked 44 Times in 35 Posts
My previous post, which I admit was snarky and unhelpful was to remind readers that "really useful" advice needs to account for the diversity of cyclists and situations they encounter when riding.

I try to consider these limitations when giving advice and often speak of "theoretical" concepts when giving advice. Typically this means avoiding touting specific products or regimens unless they are in the context of a specific person or specific situation.

For those of us really interested in learning the specifics of their hydration needs - I urge you to read and reread exercise physiology text books - usually in use at their local universities.
However - as an forum user - and in trying to be helpful - the best I can do is tell people to remember their own experiences.......

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.