Notices
Long Distance Competition/Ultracycling, Randonneuring and Endurance Cycling Do you enjoy centuries, double centuries, brevets, randonnees, and 24-hour time trials? Share ride reports, and exchange training, equipment, and nutrition information specific to long distance cycling. This isn't for tours, this is for endurance events cycling

Best quick carbs for long rides?

Old 06-25-19, 07:44 AM
UniChris

Bikes: 36" Unicycle, winter knock-around hybrid bike

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 930 Post(s)
Liked 393 Times in 282 Posts
Originally Posted by AllWeatherJeff
RC altered my query from "food" to "carbs". Then used it as an opportunity to insult me. I get it. You're ok with that.
If I'm to understand this correctly, this boils down to you being insulted because someone made a sound suggestion about what sort of food to bring to fuel a ride.

I just did a 16 hour ride mostly on the dense carbohydrates (and somewhat less dense but more interesting turkey sandwiches) I packed. I probably could have done it by sourcing nothing but water; what I bought at water stops I bought mostly for variety, and it likely barely exceeded the unused items from the initial load out I returned home with. And with the exception of a single banana bought out of habit, what I bought I very easily could have packed instead of some of what I packed but didn't eat, if I'd thought to in advance.

No, you can't easily carry enough whole fruit for a days ride.

You can however reasonably carry enough energy if you choose well and get water along the way.

Last edited by UniChris; 06-25-19 at 07:53 AM.
Old 06-25-19, 07:59 AM
AllWeatherJeff
Old Dog, New Tricks

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 8 Posts
Originally Posted by UniChris
If I'm to understand this correctly, this boils down to you being insulted because someone made a sound suggestion about what to bring to fuel a ride.
I can only guess that you didn't read my OP and the insulting reply thouroghly. Unlike every other that preceded (yours included, thank you), RC's response has not one sound suggestion about what foods to acquire along the way.

Since you have apparently NOT re-read the reply in contex, I'll share it...again...so you don't have to go looking for it.

Q: Which specific food suggestion does he make? (hint: rhetorical question)

Originally Posted by Richard Cranium
I assume you are just being silly. Two pounds of carbohydrate could fuel a person for several days. And that's assuming there a mix of simple/complex carbohydrates.

Anyway - your post makes you sound like you are seriously deficient in basic nutritional information.

Unless you are attempting to compete - anyone - and I mean "anyone" can complete a 200k in a favorable time using "normal" food. You may want to reconsider why you would think carrying some sugary snacks on a ride is such a terrible load.

Why not just eat what you want?
A: None.

The only clear suggestion he makes are about my deficient intelligence and an intentionally silly (read: stupid) question. You want to take his side, go ahead.

The others judge for themselves who're being the Richards. here.
Old 06-25-19, 08:02 AM
UniChris

Bikes: 36" Unicycle, winter knock-around hybrid bike

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 930 Post(s)
Liked 393 Times in 282 Posts
You have to be in a very strange frame of mind to be insulted by the suggestion that carbs are the main component of packable energy food.

If it's not clear which carbs were intended beyond "sugary snacks", I posted a list of some guesses with their fraction of carbohydrate vs. total mass earlier. There's a lot of room for individual choice and compatibility there.

Last edited by UniChris; 06-25-19 at 08:13 AM.
Old 06-25-19, 08:14 AM
AllWeatherJeff
Old Dog, New Tricks

Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 8 Posts
Originally Posted by UniChris
You have to be in a very strange frame of mind to be insulted by the suggestion that carbs are the main component of packable energy food.

If it's not clear which carbs were intended, I posted a list of some guesses with their fraction of carbohydrate vs. total mass earlier. There's a lot of room for individual choice and compatibility there.
Listen, I've already been told by one administrator that RC's reply was an obvious flame and insult. And that he has a documented reputation for Trolling and and trouble making. Hence the doubly entendre'd screen name-- Richard Cranium:ick Head.

If you can't read the intended insult, kudos to you. I'll remember in the future not to turn the light on for you.

But I guarantee most who read it will see it for what it is. Namely, Trolling.

Last edited by AllWeatherJeff; 06-25-19 at 08:32 AM.
Old 06-25-19, 09:48 AM
Richard Cranium

Bikes: 2003 LeMond -various other junk bikes

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 78 Post(s)
Liked 44 Times in 35 Posts
Ouch - "your carb math" works for what its worth - but I was assuming the gels or powder were supplemental to the ride - you know like for "on the bike."

Not sure how far athletes are going on pure carbs these day - but back in my prime I seldom went more than five hours on "sugar only nutrition."

Sorry for being such a "Richard Cranium" - obviously I see my errors in this thread...
Likes For Richard Cranium:
Old 06-25-19, 10:37 AM
ThermionicScott 
working on my sandal tan

Bikes: 1991 Bianchi Eros, 1964 Armstrong, 1988 Diamondback Ascent, 1988 Bianchi Premio, 1987 Bianchi Sport SX, 1980s Raleigh mixte (hers), All-City Space Horse (hers)

Mentioned: 98 Post(s)
Quoted: 3870 Post(s)
Liked 2,563 Times in 1,577 Posts
Sheesh, you guys. OP, all you need to do is bring less food from home, and buy more along the way. Not sure how your RBA does it, but nearly all of our controls are gas stations. I just pick out something that sounds appealing, then get in line to get my card signed.

And, you're bound to make mistakes on your first few brevets. I packed some peanut butter sandwiches on my first 200k. Learned that lesson quickly.
People in this forum are not typical.
RUSA #7498

Last edited by ThermionicScott; 06-25-19 at 10:43 AM.
Likes For ThermionicScott:
Old 06-25-19, 11:55 AM
unterhausen
Randomhead

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 3,686 Times in 2,509 Posts
This thread got really grumpy, so I'm going to close it. Maybe we all need a snickers bar (okay, payday are better for randonneuring). I'm hoping to see Jeff at a future brevet.
Likes For unterhausen: