Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

Commuter Bicycle Pics

Search
Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

Commuter Bicycle Pics

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-07, 09:17 PM
Silverexpress

Bikes: Commuter(s), MTB(s), bent(s), folder(s) and a road.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Errands, Exercise, and Fun....

Pics of my Kona's latest interation....

Pics show the...

1. Whole Ensemble
2. The Adam's Trail-A-Bike, and the Y-Frame
3. and the Ram Video Camera Mount

Here's a video I took the day before...

https://www.youtube.com/profile?user=Silverexpress01

For today, we are headed to the recycling center to dump some used motor oil, and it includes a stop at Office Depot to fax transcripts then a trip to the Ice Cream shop, and finally a tour of parks with slides on the way home....
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
IMG_0242_1.JPG (49.7 KB, 372 views)
IMG_0263.JPG (69.3 KB, 257 views)
IMG_0253_1.JPG (47.7 KB, 203 views)

Last edited by Silverexpress; 06-16-07 at 09:47 PM.
Old 06-17-07, 11:24 AM
Gabbo
Never get out of the boat

Bikes: Fuji Sportif, Fuji SLM, Sanino Super Record

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Silverexpress
Here's a video I took the day before....
That's killer! I cart my girls around in a old bike trailer I picked up in a consignment store and I was thinking of rigging up a camera to video them 'cause they're so danged hilarious back there. You've inspired me to follow through!
Old 06-19-07, 08:09 AM
Otter 718

Bikes: 2012 Trek 7.2 FX, 2005 Schwinn Mesa, 1978 Raleigh Super Course

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hello everyone! I'm new on the forums, so I thought I might introduce myself here. This is my commuting bike:

It's a Schwinn World Sport, made in 1990. I got it this spring off Craigslist for $45, and have been putting some work into it since then: I have installed a new saddle, grip tape and pedals, Cane Creek SCR-5 brake levers, new cables and housing all around, Kool-Stop brake pads, Schwalbe puncture-resistant tires, a rack and rack trunk, and a set of Cat Eye lights for safety.

I replaced the shifters with an inexpensive set of Sun Race clamp-on downtube shifters, after the original stem shifters broke. I've also cleaned, re-packed, and adjusted the headset and bottom bracket. I've been doing all this work myself, which has been a blast in itself.

I'm up to 600 miles on it so far - I commute from Queens to Manhattan, which is good for 20 miles a day, 2-3 days a week. I started out with this inexpensive bike to see if I would even like bike commuting, but now I love it, and I'm pretty attached to the bike too!
Old 06-19-07, 09:08 AM
devildogmech
YAT-YAS

Bikes: Old Green

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thats how you do it.... I just started riding my old COSTCO special from 14yrs ago.... God i'm gedtting old.... ten miles a day, three days a week.... My butt is looking better !I cant wait to start tweaking this bike... just to make it a little more comfortable....
"A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently and die gallantly. Specialization is for insects." -Robert A. Heinlein
Old 06-19-07, 10:32 AM
Elad63

Bikes: Too many to count. Changes on a frequent basis.

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
bought off of Craiglist for $100, Citizen 20', my new commuter, has anyone have any experience with commuting with a folder and info on this brand of Bike
Attached Images
Citizen folder.jpg (46.8 KB, 106 views)
Old 06-19-07, 12:50 PM
Tude 
Blasted Weeds

Bikes: Trek 1200C, Specialized Rockhopper, Giant Yukon FX, Giant Acapulco

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
My commuter --- but here I was out playing in the snow this past winter.

Old 06-19-07, 01:23 PM
Infantryboots

Bikes: Trek 4900

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Lol:d
Old 06-19-07, 06:19 PM
Winter76

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Tude
My commuter --- but here I was out playing in the snow this past winter.
That's the same kind of bike the guy from Mythbusters has. Is it any good?
Old 06-19-07, 06:40 PM
shumacher

Bikes: 95 Specialized Rockhopper Comp, 92 Specialized Sirrus Triple

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by jonmiles
Hello everyone! I'm new on the forums, so I thought I might introduce myself here. This is my commuting bike:

It's a Schwinn World Sport, made in 1990. I got it this spring off Craigslist for $45, and have been putting some work into it since then: I have installed a new saddle, grip tape and pedals, Cane Creek SCR-5 brake levers, new cables and housing all around, Kool-Stop brake pads, Schwalbe puncture-resistant tires, a rack and rack trunk, and a set of Cat Eye lights for safety.

I replaced the shifters with an inexpensive set of Sun Race clamp-on downtube shifters, after the original stem shifters broke. I've also cleaned, re-packed, and adjusted the headset and bottom bracket. I've been doing all this work myself, which has been a blast in itself.

I'm up to 600 miles on it so far - I commute from Queens to Manhattan, which is good for 20 miles a day, 2-3 days a week. I started out with this inexpensive bike to see if I would even like bike commuting, but now I love it, and I'm pretty attached to the bike too!
Very cool. My sister used to have the mixte version, and it turns out, my brother-in-law has a slightly older one as well.
Old 06-20-07, 07:49 AM
Tude 
Blasted Weeds

Bikes: Trek 1200C, Specialized Rockhopper, Giant Yukon FX, Giant Acapulco

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Winter76
That's the same kind of bike the guy from Mythbusters has. Is it any good?

It's Ok - I call it "Tank" cause it's a heavy duty bike - it's a folding bike - supposedly paratroopers used them extensively in Afghanistan ...

I have SPD's on it now - the peddles are actually extra wide and unbelievably heavy. I'm going for another mtb to play with and am going to swap the peddles back.

Actually won this from a cigarette company - Newport people kept sending my Mom stuff - and on it was a contest - Think this was the 2nd prize. Totally forgot about it - till I came home (probably 6-8 months after entering) and found a big box on the porch. SAWEET!

I'm going to keep this for my commute bike - and to go play with in the winter - had it three years and have beat the snot outta it - plus winter beats a bike up - replaced total brakes, rebuilt back hub, replaced bearings in crank - this year alone. I'm a commuter, but am also an urban mtb so stairs, concrete play areas, construction sites and parking garages suffice the habit till I get out into the sticks - or go hit a big course a couple towns out.
Old 06-20-07, 11:06 AM
Roadmunky
car dodger extraordinaire

Bikes: 2005 trek 3500, 1989 trek 1500

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

New to the site. This site inspired me to get my old road bike out and use it to commute to work. Its a 17 mile one way trip. I do it three times out of the week. Its great endurance training for my Brazilian jiu jitsu. I thank you all. Here my bike.
Attached Images
redy.jpg (70.9 KB, 205 views)
Old 06-22-07, 01:53 PM
KingTermite 
On my TARDIScycle!

Bikes: Trek 520, Trek Navigator 300, Peugeot Versailles PE10DE

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Found this online....the invisible commuter bike.
Old 06-22-07, 02:35 PM
gbcb
J3L 2404

Bikes: 2007 Jamis Nova

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Elad63
bought off of Craiglist for $100, Citizen 20', my new commuter, has anyone have any experience with commuting with a folder and info on this brand of Bike
Lots of folder commuters (me included) -- you might want to check the Folding Bikes forum, too. They can be great little bikes, and frequently more capable than you'd think. I don't know much about the model you've got there, though.
Old 06-22-07, 02:36 PM
gbcb
J3L 2404

Bikes: 2007 Jamis Nova

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by KingTermite
Brilliant.
Old 06-25-07, 12:13 AM
madbike

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
i haven't got a pic of my bike just suck's mite take one sometime .....
Old 06-25-07, 03:17 AM
APTokyo

Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)
Quoted: Post(s)
Finally got around to taking a picture.

Old 06-25-07, 02:31 PM
doktoravalanche

Bikes: Frankenhinger

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Folder-upper with On-one Midge bars and Bignose saddle...
Old 06-26-07, 03:15 AM
craigdurkee

Bikes: gaint crx 2 2007

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
put the wheels from my tcr on the commuter today as i have new ones for the roady

sorry about the crap pic but it will have to do

Old 06-26-07, 03:56 AM
Cyclaholic
CRIKEY!!!!!!!

Bikes: several

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 1589 Post(s)
Liked 687 Times in 365 Posts
Originally Posted by KingTermite
weight weenies
Old 06-26-07, 07:31 AM
Neil Fraedrich
Gravy

Bikes: DBX-Schwinn

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by doktoravalanche
Folder-upper with On-one Midge bars and Bignose saddle...
Sweet looking rig, how does it ride????
Old 06-26-07, 10:15 AM
livewirerc

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
My commuter in its' latest incarnation

If you read the SS/FG forum you've probably already seen this, but since it's main purpose is commuting 30+ miles a day, I figured it'd make sense to post it here and open my ridiculous frankenbike up to y'alls comments as well.

Here's how I have my single (technically multi)-speed fixed/free multi-purpose commuter set up currently. For a better riding position I swapped out the Origin8 Mary-ripoffs for On-One Midge bars (I love them on my Karate Monkey) and added a Thomson setback seatpost. This gives me multiple hand positions for longer rides, and stretches me out a little more which is more comfortable on my back and arms. I also added a pair of Cane Creek SCR-5C brake levers and a rear brake (for when I'm running one of the freewheel gears). The levers are nice and make it easier to reach my brakes while down in the drops. The drivetrain is the most interesting part of this bike (IMHO). Since I got it I've added a second chainring so I'm now running a 44T Salsa ring with a 40T Sugino (gold for the bling) ring on the inside. On my rear wheel I have a Surly dinglecog with 17T and 21T gears, and on the other side I have a White Industries Dos Eno with 17T and 19T gears. When run with the 9 speed chain this allows me 6 different gear ratios to play with, giving me 44:17, 44:21, 40:17, and 40:21 on the fixed side, and 44:17, 44:19, 40:17, and 40:19 on the freewheel side. The only problem I've had is that I have to disengage the rear brake to run the 40:17 and 44:21 gears since it moves the wheel too much, but the other gears all maintain brake pad contact with the rear rim.

I ride it to work in the high gear, then go downtown, drop to a lower ratio and tear it up in the local parks, skidding around and blowing off stress. Then it's back to the high gear for a ride home, fixed if I want to book it or free if I want to relax. People look at me funny because of the drivetrain but it's fun and means all I have to carry with me is a multitool to do off-road, on-road, fixed, free, whatever. Less bikes cluttering the house also makes for a happier spouse.
Attached Images
side-view.jpg (88.5 KB, 521 views)
headon.jpg (83.4 KB, 251 views)
wacky-drive.jpg (84.8 KB, 253 views)
suginodouble.jpg (77.0 KB, 197 views)
Old 06-26-07, 10:16 AM
livewirerc

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
P.S. I'm SERIOUSLY drooling over the folders that have been posted lately. I want to convert one to fixed as my next commuter bike.
Old 06-26-07, 04:22 PM
rykoala

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by livewirerc
If you read the SS/FG forum you've probably already seen this, but since it's main purpose is commuting 30+ miles a day, I figured it'd make sense to post it here and open my ridiculous frankenbike up to y'alls comments as well.

Here's how I have my single (technically multi)-speed fixed/free multi-purpose commuter set up currently. For a better riding position I swapped out the Origin8 Mary-ripoffs for On-One Midge bars (I love them on my Karate Monkey) and added a Thomson setback seatpost. This gives me multiple hand positions for longer rides, and stretches me out a little more which is more comfortable on my back and arms. I also added a pair of Cane Creek SCR-5C brake levers and a rear brake (for when I'm running one of the freewheel gears). The levers are nice and make it easier to reach my brakes while down in the drops. The drivetrain is the most interesting part of this bike (IMHO). Since I got it I've added a second chainring so I'm now running a 44T Salsa ring with a 40T Sugino (gold for the bling) ring on the inside. On my rear wheel I have a Surly dinglecog with 17T and 21T gears, and on the other side I have a White Industries Dos Eno with 17T and 19T gears. When run with the 9 speed chain this allows me 6 different gear ratios to play with, giving me 44:17, 44:21, 40:17, and 40:21 on the fixed side, and 44:17, 44:19, 40:17, and 40:19 on the freewheel side. The only problem I've had is that I have to disengage the rear brake to run the 40:17 and 44:21 gears since it moves the wheel too much, but the other gears all maintain brake pad contact with the rear rim.

I ride it to work in the high gear, then go downtown, drop to a lower ratio and tear it up in the local parks, skidding around and blowing off stress. Then it's back to the high gear for a ride home, fixed if I want to book it or free if I want to relax. People look at me funny because of the drivetrain but it's fun and means all I have to carry with me is a multitool to do off-road, on-road, fixed, free, whatever. Less bikes cluttering the house also makes for a happier spouse.
You'll like my 4 in 1 setup:
https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=302230
Old 06-26-07, 04:55 PM
bigbenaugust 
always rides with luggage

Bikes: 2007 Trek SU100, 2009 Fantom CX, 2012 Fantom Cross Uno, Bakfiets

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 273 Post(s)
Liked 20 Times in 17 Posts
Originally Posted by livewirerc
Man, that thing puts my sissy SS MTB conversion to shame. I love it!
Previously: 2000 Trek 4500 (2000-2003), 2003 Novara Randonee (2003-2006), 2003 Giant Rainier (2003-2008), 2005 Xootr Swift (2005-2007), 2007 Nashbar 1x9 (2007-2011), 2011 Windsor Shetland (2011-2014), 2008 Citizen Folder (2015)
Non-Bike hardware: MX Linux / BunsenLabs Linux / Raspbian / Mac OS 10.6 / Android 7
Old 06-26-07, 09:00 PM
M_S

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Livewirerc, what frame is under there?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.