Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Advocacy & Safety
Reload this Page >

Cyclist Assaults Pedestrian

Search
Notices
Advocacy & Safety Cyclists should expect and demand safe accommodation on every public road, just as do all other users. Discuss your bicycle advocacy and safety concerns here.

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-15, 08:28 AM
Fargo Wolf
Resident smartass.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts

Dunno if this is the right place to put this but this jack off on a bike needs to be found. A friend posted this on their Facebook page. Neither myself, nor my friend know the victim.

I am 5 months pregnant and I was just assaulted by this cyclist as I was on my way to vote. He ran a stop sign full speed and I yelled to him that there was a stop sign - as he almost ran me over. He stopped, turned his bike around and came directly for me, hit and knocked me over. I tried to hold on to his backpack to keep him at the scene after I got up but I wasn't able to. Thankfully a witness took this photo for me. Please, share this post and help me identify this man. I'm on my way to the hospital now to make sure everything is ok with the baby. If you can identify him, you can also call VPD at 604-257-3716. I would greatly appreciate any help.

There is also a story by CTV Vancouver (Canada).

Bike rage: Pregnant woman recovering after assault by cyclist | CTV Vancouver News

Just another moron who makes us cyclists look bad.
Old 10-11-15, 08:34 AM
slimyfrog

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
*sigh* That's some impressive jerk-ness. I hope they find him.
Old 10-11-15, 12:37 PM
Chris516
24-Speed Machine

Bikes: 2003 Specialized Allez 24-Speed Road Bike

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Cyclists' like him are a collosal embarrassment. Regardless of the locale.
Old 10-11-15, 01:07 PM
genec
genec

Bikes: custom built, sannino, beachbike, giant trance x2

Mentioned: 86 Post(s)
Quoted: 13658 Post(s)
Liked 4,532 Times in 3,158 Posts
Not only is the cyclist a doosh as a cyclist, but as a human too... running over a preggers woman... sheesh. This person needs to be sent down to the woodshed for some remedial training on how to be a proper human.
Old 10-11-15, 02:22 PM
TheLibrarian

Bikes: 2014 Giant Roam

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 84 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The article you post yourself says directly that she ran her mouth off, then he turned around at which point she decided to grab the bike knocking herself over.
Old 10-11-15, 05:39 PM
kickstart

Bikes: 2005 Gazelle Golfo, 1935 Raleigh Sport, 1970 Robin Hood sport, 1974 Schwinn Continental, 1984 Ross MTB/porteur, 2013 Flying Piegon path racer, 2014 Gazelle Toer Populair T8

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 396 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by TheLibrarian
The article you post yourself says directly that she ran her mouth off, then he turned around at which point she decided to grab the bike knocking herself over.
While it does sound like she is less than a purely innocent victim, anybody with a lick of sense doesn't mess with a pregnant woman.
Old 10-11-15, 06:25 PM
mr_bill

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 2112 Post(s)
Liked 663 Times in 443 Posts
Cyclist comes forward, confirms most of the details of the story, and apologizes.

-mr. bill
Old 10-11-15, 06:50 PM
FBinNY 

Bikes: too many bikes from 1967 10s (5x2)Frejus to a Sumitomo Ti/Chorus aluminum 10s (10x2), plus one non-susp mtn bike I use as my commuter

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5790 Post(s)
Liked 2,581 Times in 1,431 Posts
Originally Posted by kickstart
While it does sound like she is less than a purely innocent victim, anybody with a lick of sense doesn't mess with a pregnant woman.
5 months pregnant isn't like 8 months pregnant, so while she was pregnant, how is the OP supposed to divine that?

This doesn't mean that he's right or innocent, even if we accept his version, but harping on the fact that she was pregnant unnecessarily inflames the story.

What this story points is that there is an undercurrent of antagonism between (some) pedestrians and cyclists. That's both a shame, and likely to lead to similar incidents in the future. It's another bit of what's wrong with group identity thinking.

An ounce of diagnosis is worth a pound of cure.

Just because I'm tired of arguing, doesn't mean you're right.

“One accurate measurement is worth a thousand expert opinions” - Adm Grace Murray Hopper - USN

WARNING, I'm from New York. Thin skinned people should maintain safe distance.
Old 10-11-15, 07:17 PM
kickstart

Bikes: 2005 Gazelle Golfo, 1935 Raleigh Sport, 1970 Robin Hood sport, 1974 Schwinn Continental, 1984 Ross MTB/porteur, 2013 Flying Piegon path racer, 2014 Gazelle Toer Populair T8

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 396 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by FBinNY
5 months pregnant isn't like 8 months pregnant, so while she was pregnant, how is the OP supposed to divine that?

This doesn't mean that he's right or innocent, even if we accept his version, but harping on the fact that she was pregnant unnecessarily inflames the story.

What this story points is that there is an undercurrent of antagonism between (some) pedestrians and cyclists. That's both a shame, and likely to lead to similar incidents in the future. It's another bit of what's wrong with group identity thinking.
She looks pregnant in the video, and women tend to be emotionally charged when pregnant, therefore right or wrong its best to not antagonize them.
That's all I'm saying.
Old 10-11-15, 08:22 PM
vol

Liked 18 Times in 12 Posts
This discrepency may make a difference:

She said she said: "Buddy, stop sign!"

He said she said: “There is a stop sign! A$$h0le!”!”
Old 10-11-15, 08:48 PM
gregf83 

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 1186 Post(s)
Liked 289 Times in 177 Posts
Originally Posted by vol
This discrepency may make a difference:

She said she said: "Buddy, stop sign!"

He said she said: “There is a stop sign! A$$h0le!”!”
There is often an irrational venom saved for cyclists who violate any traffic rules. I'll admit I role through most stop signs without stopping. If there was a pedestrian there I would do something similar to what this cyclist did, i.e. slow down and pass safely. If someone calls me an ******* I'm likely going to turn around and talk to them as well.

The other day I was riding through a school zone(30kph speed limit) at 9 in the morning at 40kph. No one was around but myself and a car behind me. He didn't like that I was going faster than the speed limit and rolled down his window and let loose a string of obscenities. I slowed down and tried to get him to stop but these individuals feel tougher when they're in a 4,000lb vehicle and are generally not as belligerent if they have to talk to you face to face. I'm certain the driver that was upset at me and the pregnant women (and her husband) don't get upset when vehicles roll a stop sign. They are irrationally upset when someone on a 20lb bicycle bends the law, but say nothing when a soccer mom piloting a 5,000 SUV rolls through the same stop sign.
Old 10-11-15, 08:51 PM
mr_bill

Originally Posted by vol
This discrepency may make a difference....
It doesn't.

-mr. bill
Old 10-11-15, 09:10 PM
mr_bill

FWIW, I find that *people* get cranky when they are almost run over.

Doesn't seem to matter if they almost get run over by a truck, SUV, car, or bicycle. They get cranky.

I also find that many *people* operating vehicles are *convinced* *CONVINCED* that they passed at a "safe distance." Their perception is almost always wrong, unless you consider "safe distance" as "but I didn't hit you."

Oh, the same person who thought he passed her at a "safe distance" also says his "intention" was to stop "right next to her." Instead he struck her, this is my favorite turn of phrase, at "a relatively low speed."

-mr. bill

Last edited by mr_bill; 10-12-15 at 09:10 PM.
Old 10-11-15, 10:11 PM
vol

Originally Posted by mr_bill
It doesn't.

-mr. bill
How do you know? What I meant was it may make difference how the cyclist would react. I did not mean it makes a difference whether he was right or wrong. If she said "Buddy, stop sign!" then I tend to think the cyclist would not turn around to talk to her the way he did.

Last edited by vol; 10-11-15 at 10:21 PM.
Old 10-11-15, 10:30 PM
FBinNY 

Bikes: too many bikes from 1967 10s (5x2)Frejus to a Sumitomo Ti/Chorus aluminum 10s (10x2), plus one non-susp mtn bike I use as my commuter

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Quoted: 5790 Post(s)
Liked 2,581 Times in 1,431 Posts
.....Oh, the same person who thought he passed her at a "safe distance" also says his "intention" was to stop to stop "right next to her." Instead he struck her, [emphasis added] this is my favorite turn of phrase, at "a relatively low speed."
Not that it matters, except maybe to an official considering criminal charges, but this is factually wrong. According to the victim---

"He basically comes right at me, and I'm screaming, 'What are you doing?'”, she says. “I had time to grab the handlebars and the bike came right through me basically and I had push back and then I just fell back down and the bike partly fell on top of me."

So it sounds like maybe she grabbed the bars before there was contact, and this might bolster the rider's claim that he wouldn't have hit her except for this.

Overall, I still believe the cyclist was more in the wrong, but there was childishness and stupidity on both sides.

An ounce of diagnosis is worth a pound of cure.

Just because I'm tired of arguing, doesn't mean you're right.

“One accurate measurement is worth a thousand expert opinions” - Adm Grace Murray Hopper - USN

WARNING, I'm from New York. Thin skinned people should maintain safe distance.
Old 10-11-15, 10:33 PM
gregf83 

FWIW, I find that *people* get cranky when they are almost run over.
They also get cranky when they see cyclists behave like vehicles and roll stop signs. He may have passed close by the pregnant woman but there's no evidence he did and she didn't claim he did. I think she was just upset he didn't stop.
Old 10-11-15, 10:49 PM
f4rrest
Farmer tan

Bikes: Allez, SuperSix Evo

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Quoted: 2870 Post(s)
Liked 28 Times in 23 Posts
It's best to just ignore those who voice an opinion on the road. People hate to be ignored.
Old 10-11-15, 10:54 PM
vol

but harping on the fact that she was pregnant unnecessarily inflames the story.
+1

"When I fell back down and I was screaming, 'I'm five months pregnant,'. I kind of saw a look of fear in his eyes, and then he just wanted to get out of there.”

This suggests the cyclist probably would not have behaved the way he did, had he known she was pregnant.
Old 10-12-15, 03:00 AM
scott967

Bikes: 89 Paramount OS 84 Fuji Touring Series III New! 2013 Focus Izalco Ergoride

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 285 Post(s)
Liked 74 Times in 54 Posts
So the cyclist didn't "come out of nowhere" but rather seems to have been in one of these left-side-of-the-road bike paths (apparently 2-way?) that needs a warning sign so that drivers don't left hook cyclists. That doesn't make it OK to run through the stop, but it highlights what seems to me a deficiency with this type of infrastructure design.

scott s.
Old 10-12-15, 05:42 AM
mr_bill

Originally Posted by gregf83
.... He may have passed close by the pregnant woman but there's no evidence he did and she didn't claim he did. I think she was just upset he didn't stop.
Are you the *only* person in Vancouver who hasn't seen her facebook posting? You can think whatever you want, but she said "He ran a stop sign full speed and I yelled to him that there was a stop sign - as he almost ran me over [emphasis mine]."

So it sounds like maybe she grabbed the bars before there was contact, and this might bolster the rider's claim that he wouldn't have hit her except for this.
Put out your arms. Imagine handlebars at the end of those arms. Now imagine someone coming at you at a speed sufficient that he not only doesn't stop in time, he hits you hard enough to knock you to the ground at a "relatively low speed."

I don't know about you, but I'd have a hard time listening to someone who wanted to "talk to" me in such a fashion.

Overall, I still believe the cyclist was more in the wrong, but there was childishness and stupidity on both sides.
There was childishness, stupidity, and IF NOT ASSAULT AT LEAST *RECKLESSNESS* on ONE SIDE. On the other side there was a HUMAN reaction to being scared by an [expletive deleted] who happened to be on a bicycle.

Originally Posted by scott967
....but it highlights what seems to me a deficiency with this type of infrastructure design.
So it was infra's fault. Got it. The person on the bicycle was just an innocent bystander in all this.

-mr. bill
Old 10-12-15, 09:30 AM
hohum

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
It's not cool that the cyclist turned around to make another pass at the woman but she bears at least some responsibility here. If you yell and curse at people on the street, don't expect them to ignore you. Both parties acted irresponsibly.
Old 10-12-15, 10:18 AM
mr_bill

Originally Posted by hohum
It's not cool that the cyclist turned around to make another pass at the woman but she bears at least some responsibility here. If you yell and curse at people on the street, don't expect them to ignore you. Both parties acted irresponsibly.
Actually, she said she yelled, he said she yelled and cursed.

So, clarifying.
If we yell something like "stop sign - expletive deleted!" - we should not expect to be ignored, in fact we should expect to be confronted for our error?
If we yell something like "stop sign?" - we should not expect to be ignored, in fact we should expect to be confronted for our error?
If we yell something like "hey!" - we should not expect to be ignored, in fact we should expect to be confronted for our error?
If we let out a tiny "eek" but they heard us - we should not expect to be ingored, in fact we should expect to be confronted for our error?

How about pulling a Canadian?
If we say "sorry" - we should not expect to be ingored, in fact we should expect to be confronted for our error?

Just not sure how all grovelly we have to get.

-mr. bill
Old 10-12-15, 10:21 AM
Chris516
24-Speed Machine

Bikes: 2003 Specialized Allez 24-Speed Road Bike

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Neither the cyclist, nor the pregnant woman was the salt of the earth in this incident. Sounds like they would be perfect for each other. Don't hit a pregnant woman(even a woman shouldn't hit a pregnant woman). But that doesn't absolve the pregnant woman of equal responsibility in the incident. Because the pregnant woman potentially endangered her unborn child by physically responding to the cyclist.
Old 10-12-15, 12:27 PM
hohum

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Actually, she said she yelled, he said she yelled and cursed.
I believe him. I've had to deal with lots of hostile pedestrians in my time too; and while I don't have a scientific sampling, I'd wager more of them get hot under the collar than keep their cool.

Each actor in this little drama is playing to their strengths.

Her: The pregnant defenseless demure little girl. Wouldn't hurt a fly, much less use such foul and vile language.
Him: The victim cyclist, trying to get by in the world, constantly ridiculed for existing on everyone else's roads. Innocently tossed from his bicycle by the raging hormonal pregosaurus.
Old 10-12-15, 12:32 PM
gregf83 

Are you the *only* person in Vancouver who hasn't seen her facebook posting? You can think whatever you want, but she said "He ran a stop sign full speed and I yelled to him that there was a stop sign - as he almost ran me over [emphasis mine]."
I suppose so. I just read the original news story. I don't read facebook. In any case, still no evidence other than contradictory statements from the participants so I think this story will die without much more happening.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.