Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Sealed bearing chain that requires no lube at all

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-18, 08:29 AM
masi61

Bikes: Puch Marco Polo, Saint Tropez, Masi Gran Criterium

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1163 Post(s)
Liked 442 Times in 315 Posts

I’m trying waxing my chains this season using Molten Speed Wax. I’ve been alternating 2 chains on my road bike. They get switched when they start to get noisy. That was supposed to be at 400 miles but 200 miles is more like it. To be fair, I may not be heating up the wax quite hot enough to fully penetrate the interior space of the chain - I’ve spoken directly to the Molten Speed Wax person and he was very helpful. The clean aspect of the wax is real. It is nice when you can touch the chain and have minimal dirt come off on you.
Which got me thinking: why hasn’t anyone developed a completely lube free chain?

I started thinking about the little sealed bearings that are used on woodworking carbide router bits. They can be minaturized quite a bit I would think. Maybe someone in the bearing industry can pipe in here? You could have each “roller” being the same outer dimension as the roller on a standard 10 or 11 speed bike chain. The “roller” would be the outer part of the sealed bearing. The interior could have permanently sealed stainless or ceramic bearings in it - do they make them this small? No oiling, no waxing or any kind of servicing would be needed. I realize we are talking about ~114 links so this many bearings would go into each chain.

Obviously the cost could be prohibitive for a chain like this. But would the cost really be that bad? I mean - the little bearings, sourced from India or China or whatever international manufacturer could produce high volumes of them cheaply could be less of an obstacle than imagined. Also, depending on the performance of this chain - increased cost for a longer lasting, lube free chain would be justifiable. I would easily pay $100 or more for such a chain.

Maybe it already exists. Maybe it could be manufactured with newer engineering materials to be even lighter/simpler/more durable/quieter, etc.. Maybe the Gates belt drive could be developed for derailleur/multi-geared bikes?
I’m just thinking out loud here and hoped to collect up some ideas about next gen chains!

Last edited by masi61; 06-05-18 at 09:20 AM.
Old 06-05-18, 09:12 AM
88Tempo

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked 19 Times in 15 Posts
I've wondered how salt bath nitriding would effect stuff like chains, cogs, etc. It's supposed to give a very hard slick corrosion resistant finish to steel.
Old 06-05-18, 09:20 AM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
Even the Gates carbon belts fail, there are surface treatment finished chains , but it wears off with use.

how much (real) money do you want to spend ?
Old 06-05-18, 09:29 AM
dabac

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 1074 Post(s)
Liked 295 Times in 222 Posts
The trouble with tiny bearings is that the size of the contaminants a bike sees doesn’t change.
The size of particle that a cup&cone bb would hardly notice is a considerable issue for an outboard bb and would be instant showstopper for the size you’re talking about.
You’re likely to end up in the ”operation successful, patient died”.
Meaning succeeding in what you wanted to do, but failing to achieve the desired outcome.
A more doable way of avoiding/reducing chain care is probably an adaptation of motorcycle tech, where o-rings are used to seal the bushings off from the environment.
And to accept to use an IGH.
Old 06-05-18, 09:53 AM
Andrew R Stewart 

Bikes: Stewart S&S coupled sport tourer, Stewart Sunday light, Stewart Commuting, Stewart Touring, Co Motion Tandem, Stewart 3-Spd, Stewart Track, Fuji Finest, Mongoose Tomac ATB, GT Bravado ATB, JCP Folder, Stewart 650B ATB

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4201 Post(s)
Liked 3,857 Times in 2,305 Posts
Don't forget that a derailleur chain has more important things to do then last a long time. Andy
Old 06-05-18, 10:29 AM
masi61

Originally Posted by dabac
The trouble with tiny bearings is that the size of the contaminants a bike sees doesn’t change.
The size of particle that a cup&cone bb would hardly notice is a considerable issue for an outboard bb and would be instant showstopper for the size you’re talking about.
You’re likely to end up in the ”operation successful, patient died”.
Meaning succeeding in what you wanted to do, but failing to achieve the desired outcome.
A more doable way of avoiding/reducing chain care is probably an adaptation of motorcycle tech, where o-rings are used to seal the bushings off from the environment.
And to accept to use an IGH.
Are there any current chains out there (for derailleur bicycles that is) that use O-rings to seal the bushings?

How about a chain that had micro (micro again) “grease guard” technology that could be topped off before a ride by pumping a tiny bit of clean grease into each bushing through a tiny grease guard fitting?
Old 06-05-18, 11:15 AM
sweeks

Bikes: Airborne "Carpe Diem", Motobecane "Mirage", Trek 6000, Strida 2, Dahon "Helios XL", Dahon "Mu XL", Tern "Verge S11i"

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quoted: 980 Post(s)
Liked 582 Times in 399 Posts
Originally Posted by masi61
Which got me thinking: why hasn’t anyone developed a completely lube free chain?
The chain's bearing surfaces might be sealed, but lubrication would still be required for the chain's contacts with the sprockets.
Old 06-05-18, 11:24 AM
masi61

Originally Posted by sweeks
The chain's bearing surfaces might be sealed, but lubrication would still be required for the chain's contacts with the sprockets.
Thanks for the reality check. The little bit of wax build up on my cogs and chainrings seem to quiet things down a bit with my waxed chains. But “wet lube” has got to be the quietest.
Old 06-05-18, 11:36 AM
sweeks

Bikes: Airborne "Carpe Diem", Motobecane "Mirage", Trek 6000, Strida 2, Dahon "Helios XL", Dahon "Mu XL", Tern "Verge S11i"

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quoted: 980 Post(s)
Liked 582 Times in 399 Posts
Originally Posted by masi61
But “wet lube” has got to be the quietest.
I agree. I've been using Finish Line wet lube on my commuter bike, and the chain is silent compared to when I used Pro-Link Gold (though that also works well). The more viscous oils do a better job of damping the vibrations caused by the chain's links contacting the cogs, I think. "Chain-L" is also a very quiet lube.
Old 06-06-18, 03:05 PM
CroMo Mike 
All Campy All The Time

Bikes: Listed in my signature.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 177 Post(s)
Liked 114 Times in 63 Posts
The roller is just one of the chain’s moving parts. The plates also oscillate on the pins to allow it to bend. The tiny cartridge bearings suggested by the OP would do nothing for that wear point.
Old 06-06-18, 03:41 PM
CliffordK

Mentioned: 217 Post(s)
Quoted: 18373 Post(s)
Liked 4,508 Times in 3,351 Posts
There are shaft drive bicycles that can be fully enclosed, and I believe wet lubed, although they still have to have provisions to remove the wheel, and, of course, have crank and axle penetrations.

I helped with the roll-out of our new bikeshare bikes (IGH). I thought the chains looked bone dry. I suppose now that it has been a month or two, I should go back and see what they look like. Hopefully not still dry.