Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Repair stand

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Repair stand

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-19, 06:23 AM
southpier

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 198 Post(s)
Liked 52 Times in 41 Posts
I didn't recognize the name, but by sight I think that's the stand I had used for my employer's/ family's bikes. I did like it and the wide footprint gave it stability.
Old 07-07-19, 06:06 AM
stuman74

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Man, I missed the boat on the Aldi's stand. What a great deal! I see a few on Amazon that look similar for $40-$50. Anyone with experience with those? Just for very infrequent use in my garage on my Trek. Thanks!
Old 07-07-19, 03:05 PM
dedhed
SE Wis

Bikes: '68 Raleigh Sprite, '02 Raleigh C500, '84 Raleigh Gran Prix, '91 Trek 400, 2013 Novara Randonee, 1990 Trek 970

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 2742 Post(s)
Liked 3,389 Times in 2,052 Posts
Originally Posted by stuman74
Man, I missed the boat on the Aldi's stand. What a great deal! I see a few on Amazon that look similar for $40-$50. Anyone with experience with those? Just for very infrequent use in my garage on my Trek. Thanks!
Check all your local ALDI as some might still be around. Otherwise they'll be back next spring.
Old 07-07-19, 03:08 PM
stuman74

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Thanks. Yeah, I checked yesterday at the Aldi in my town and all they had were some bottle holders and multi-tools. The worker said they had some stands roughly a month ago. Went to the next town over as well and they had zero bike stuff left. Oh well. I did just order this $56 stand from Amazon about an hour ago and hope to get it in a couple days.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07PN2NLDW
Old 07-07-19, 03:30 PM
mrt2you

Bikes: trek 720 multitrack hybred, 92 trek 2300, 2010 specialized roubaix, 2014 specialized roubaix

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 14 Posts
my go to repair stand is this one https://www.ebay.com/itm/Steel-Bike-...IAAOSwcF1a4uJu

if i really need a solid stand i have a park tool pcs-9. i haven't needed to use this one in about 4 years.
Old 07-07-19, 05:45 PM
Lotus907efi

Bikes: 2012 Litespeed C1R w/ 10spd DI2, 2005 Cannondale Six13, 1998 GT Forte titanium, 1989 Cannondale SR600 w/Shimano 105 group, Nishiki Pinnacle MTB, Vitus 979 w/Campag Veloce, Peugeot PSV10

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 8 Posts
Aldi stands are $17.99

Originally Posted by stuman74
Thanks. Yeah, I checked yesterday at the Aldi in my town and all they had were some bottle holders and multi-tools. The worker said they had some stands roughly a month ago. Went to the next town over as well and they had zero bike stuff left.
I was just at my local Aldi store earlier today and they had their bike stands priced at $17.99
An exceptional price for this sturdy piece of kit.
Old 07-08-19, 03:13 PM
wobrien

Bikes: Cannondale CAAD 8

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 5 Posts
Removing Stuck Pedals Suggestions

I have a 30+ year old bike and would like to change the pedals. The pedals that are on there now are original and as you can imagine they are stuck tight. I am trying to avoid using a cheater bar because I don't have one that will fit on my wrench and I would rather not go buy pipe for this (most likely) one time use. I have been spaying WD-40 on them a few times and letting them set. Do any of you have tricks or suggestions (besides a cheater bar) for getting those pedals off? I am not in a rush so I am fine with letting WD-40 penetrate them for a few weeks if that will actually work. I have considered heading them with a torch as well as hitting the pedal screw with a hammer a few time but have not done either of those things. Thought that I would check with you all before I do something that I will regret.... Maybe the cheater bar is the best answer.
Old 07-08-19, 03:39 PM
southpier

time may be on your side with this project. anything used to saturate the fastener will most likely be flammable, so i'd be a tad reluctant antagonizing it with an open flame. I would also be reluctant to hit a crank with any vigor. a sharp "tap" or two probably won't bend or crack anything, but I wouldn't go to heavy or often.

the cheater bar may be your best non-impact choice. hang out at the local "big-box" store and wait until Joe the Plumber pulls in. ask him if he would help you out and give him a starbux gift card for his trouble. of course for the $$$ of the gift card you could buy a piece of pipe . . . . and then return it after the pedals are set free. let your heart guide you on this one . . .
Old 07-08-19, 05:18 PM
wobrien

Liked 8 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by southpier
time may be on your side with this project. anything used to saturate the fastener will most likely be flammable, so i'd be a tad reluctant antagonizing it with an open flame. I would also be reluctant to hit a crank with any vigor. a sharp "tap" or two probably won't bend or crack anything, but I wouldn't go to heavy or often.

the cheater bar may be your best non-impact choice. hang out at the local "big-box" store and wait until Joe the Plumber pulls in. ask him if he would help you out and give him a starbux gift card for his trouble. of course for the $$$ of the gift card you could buy a piece of pipe . . . . and then return it after the pedals are set free. let your heart guide you on this one . . .
1) That is good advice about the flame and about the "sharp tap". I have been reluctant on both and will probably just end up with the cheater as the options are pretty limited and the cheater is effective.

2) It looks like I posted this question in the wrong place. I meant to start a fresh thread but apparently that is not what I did. I don't know how to move it. If they admins want to move it to the Bike Mechanics section then that is fine with me. Sorry for the confusion with this thread.

Thanks again for the help.
Old 07-08-19, 05:31 PM
rosefarts
With a mighty wind

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1086 Post(s)
Liked 858 Times in 487 Posts
I have a loop of webbing hanging from the ceiling that I can hook the seat with. For added stability, I girth hitch another loop to the stem.

Yes it can swing.

I've built several bikes this way and keep my fleet maintained no problem. I spent my money on a good truing stand. Besides, I would need to do something about the 10 strollers in the garage to have room for a real stand.
Old 07-09-19, 05:54 AM
southpier

Originally Posted by rosefarts
I have a loop of webbing hanging from the ceiling that I can hook the seat with. For added stability, I girth hitch another loop to the stem.

Yes it can swing.

I've built several bikes this way and keep my fleet maintained no problem. I spent my money on a good truing stand. Besides, I would need to do something about the 10 strollers in the garage to have room for a real stand.
that is my favorite way to work also (hanging) but the landlord has moved his stuff into the garage and bolloxed up the butterworks.

what project for the strollers? orange crate derby entry?
Old 07-09-19, 10:43 AM
sirjag

Bikes: Giant Contend SL 1 Disc

Quoted: 155 Post(s)
Liked 78 Times in 52 Posts
I made my own out of 2x4's and bolted it to my work bench in the garage....$20....
Old 07-10-19, 02:21 PM
wobrien

Liked 8 Times in 5 Posts
I went to Aldi's yesterday and my store no longer has the repair stand. She checked a 50 mile radius too and said all of those stores are sold out. Said it is a one time buy each year that they do in May. What is the next best bike repair stand option that is hopefully under $50 or $60 dollars?
Old 07-12-19, 01:29 PM
seedsbelize 
smelling the roses

Bikes: 79 Trek 930, 80 Trek 414, 84 Schwinn Letour Luxe (coupled), 92 Schwinn Paramount PDG 5

Mentioned: 104 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7081 Post(s)
Liked 901 Times in 612 Posts
I have the PCS 10, because it was easily available. Were I to get another one, I would go with a race stand.

Old 07-12-19, 01:35 PM
Lucillle
Lucille

Quoted: 133 Post(s)
Liked 65 Times in 35 Posts
I got the Best Choice Products one from Walmart for $50 and I'm happy with it. I'm sure the Parks is better but mine is fine for occasional use.
Old 08-03-19, 02:48 PM
MSchott

Bikes: 2017 Specialized Roubaix Sport SL4

Quoted: 94 Post(s)
Liked 44 Times in 33 Posts
Just an update, I purchased the Aldi’s stand at their store in Redford, MI. $17.50. They have about 7 left in stock.
Old 08-07-19, 09:08 AM
wobrien

Liked 8 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by MSchott
Just an update, I purchased the Aldi’s stand at their store in Redford, MI. $17.50. They have about 7 left in stock.
Nice, thanks for sharing that information. I should be in the Reford, MI area at the end of the month. I hope they still have one left when I get there.
Old 08-07-19, 06:27 PM
Mad Honk 

Bikes: Paramount, Faggin, Ochsner, Ciocc, Basso

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Quoted: 1301 Post(s)
Liked 1,903 Times in 1,137 Posts
I'm down sizing and am selling my double arm Parks professional stand. One used head and one new, with a new T assembly and clamp parts. Base can be special ordered with it as I have a welder waiting to make the base for me. $450 plus shipping. Costly I know but will last a lifetime. Posted in the for sale forum. Smiles, MH
Old 08-12-19, 05:43 PM
Mr_Stop

Bikes: '00 Lemond Zurich, '87 Celo Europa

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by wobrien
I went to Aldi's yesterday and my store no longer has the repair stand. She checked a 50 mile radius too and said all of those stores are sold out. Said it is a one time buy each year that they do in May. What is the next best bike repair stand option that is hopefully under $50 or $60 dollars?
Thanks for the tip on having an Aldi employee search their inventory! I had already been to 3 stores without luck. I went to the 4th and they were able to locate the last one available locally.
Old 08-12-19, 06:32 PM
AeroGut

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 254 Post(s)
Liked 182 Times in 141 Posts
Originally Posted by wobrien
1) That is good advice about the flame and about the "sharp tap". I have been reluctant on both and will probably just end up with the cheater as the options are pretty limited and the cheater is effective.

2) It looks like I posted this question in the wrong place. I meant to start a fresh thread but apparently that is not what I did. I don't know how to move it. If they admins want to move it to the Bike Mechanics section then that is fine with me. Sorry for the confusion with this thread.

Thanks again for the help.
After you let is soak for awhile, here's one approach without a cheater bar -
put the right crank arm forward and put a block under the left so that you can't backpedal.
From behind the bike, lean over and rest your chest on the saddle so that you can reach out with your right arm and position the wrench on the right pedal so that it's extending forward from the pedal spindle.
Pull.
Pull some more.
Old 08-14-19, 02:03 PM
Cyclist03516
Banned.

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 11 Posts
I bought an old trainer for $5 at a garage sale. The kind that grabs the axles/quick release levers. Set it on the workbench and pop the bike in it. Not super elegant but does the job.
Old 08-15-19, 09:01 PM
MrArrow
Long Time Lurker

Bikes: 1990 Trek 990 among some BSO's

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
The aldi find is an amazing win on all accounts
Old 08-17-19, 11:52 AM
Celticgirl

Bikes: Windsor Dover 2.0 Hybrid

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by FlMTNdude
For a home mechanic on a budget you can’t beat the Aldi stand at $25. I do the wash after the weekly long ride, and anything in between. Plus my standard maintenance on 3 bicycles, including a heavy cruiser. Amazingly sturdy, especially when I paid next to nothing for it.
The stand looks good, but unfortunately it's a sale item in a grocery/goods store, and is no longer available.
Old 08-17-19, 03:40 PM
rebgen

Bikes: 1988 Schwinn Voyageur (retired), 2018 Trek 520

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Celticgirl
The stand looks good, but unfortunately it's a sale item in a grocery/goods store, and is no longer available.
The good thing is that around 7 months from now they'll most likely be in stock again. I'm on year three with mine and it works like a champ!