Search
Notices
"The 33"-Road Bike Racing We set this forum up for our members to discuss their experiences in either pro or amateur racing, whether they are the big races, or even the small backyard races. Don't forget to update all the members with your own race results.

My geek thread

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-17, 06:09 PM
Flatballer
No matches

Bikes: two wheeled ones

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1398 Post(s)
Liked 444 Times in 250 Posts
Originally Posted by mollusk
Glad to see this thread still alive.

Funny how many racers are nerds.
It's an analytical and tactical sport with cool toys, and it can be expensive.
Old 12-19-17, 08:04 PM
Doge

Bikes: 1979 Raleigh Team 753

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Quoted: 3374 Post(s)
Liked 371 Times in 253 Posts
I'm on my 3rd day of Jolla Sailfish. Another like-Windows great OS missing the core apps that do cool things like cast the screen to the TV.

We have no TV except the Youtube TV, but I can't cast on Sailfish.
Old 12-19-17, 08:07 PM
Doge

Bikes: 1979 Raleigh Team 753

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Quoted: 3374 Post(s)
Liked 371 Times in 253 Posts
Any why does T-mobile require I change my password. I went to pay my bill and I was required to change my password. I verified with ATT I will not have to change my password. I will be changing 8 lines.

Changing passwords is one of the lamest things in the industry. Forces folks to write things down.
I don't even know my passwords. Easier to change carriers.
Old 12-19-17, 08:59 PM
Flatballer
No matches

Originally Posted by Doge
Any why does T-mobile require I change my password. I went to pay my bill and I was required to change my password. I verified with ATT I will not have to change my password. I will be changing 8 lines.

Changing passwords is one of the lamest things in the industry. Forces folks to write things down.
I don't even know my passwords. Easier to change carriers.
Get lastpass or a similar trustworthy password management system. You can set up one really complex but easy to remember password (correct horse battery staple), with two factor authentication, and then make all your other passwords as complex and random as the site will allow, lastpass will generate and store them all for you, and their encryption means only you can decrypt your vault. It's their only job so they're good at securing everything correctly.
Old 12-19-17, 09:34 PM
Ttoc6
Cat 2

Bikes: Tarmac, Why Cycles R+, Evil The Calling

Mentioned: 91 Post(s)
Quoted: 605 Post(s)
Liked 194 Times in 87 Posts
Originally Posted by Flatballer
Get lastpass or a similar trustworthy password management system. You can set up one really complex but easy to remember password (correct horse battery staple), with two factor authentication, and then make all your other passwords as complex and random as the site will allow, lastpass will generate and store them all for you, and their encryption means only you can decrypt your vault. It's their only job so they're good at securing everything correctly.
I use Keepass with the database stored on my personal dropbox. Have the app on my phone and a copy of the database at work. I was having issues with my facebook account. Went full HAM and set a 512 random character password. Good luck to anyone who tries now.
Old 12-19-17, 09:37 PM
Ttoc6
Cat 2

Originally Posted by mattm
I haven't used Django, but recently "discovered" Flask, which makes it super simple to run Python code just by hitting a web endpoint. You could make a website from it, but it seems more useful for making micro web-services.
This is pretty cool. Take a lot of what I like about Python (simplicity, beauty, extendability) and makes it work in the web.

Django is a bit messy until you figure out what all the different parts do. The tutorial on the official website was good. Took me about 3.5 work days (not constant) to get through and I feel like it gave me enough knowledge to at least hit the right terms into StackOverflow to get the answer I'm looking for.

Except for this primary key issue I'm having, but I haven't tried to hard to get it working yet.
Old 12-20-17, 08:41 AM
topflightpro

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 1851 Post(s)
Liked 678 Times in 429 Posts
I am sick and tired of having to download Flash every time I need to look at some stupid video through Adobe. I downloaded it last week, and I have to download it again today. Why? Is it really so bad you need to update it that often?
Old 12-20-17, 03:07 PM
Flatballer
No matches

Why is there a function called DateDiff in SQL, a function called DateDiff in VB, and a function called DateDiff in SQL report builder that uses the function from VB and not the one from SQL? Who thought that was okay?

Oh, and the difference between them? The interval format variable format is ever so slightly different, like, "s" instead of "ss".

Wasted half an hour or so.
Old 12-20-17, 04:43 PM
furiousferret

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 842 Post(s)
Liked 469 Times in 250 Posts
I've wasted days on simpler differences in syntax; especially with Microsoft = IBM interactions. Luckily I'm on the admin side and don't have to deal with it as much.
Old 12-21-17, 09:31 PM
Ttoc6
Cat 2

Originally Posted by topflightpro
I am sick and tired of having to download Flash every time I need to look at some stupid video through Adobe. I downloaded it last week, and I have to download it again today. Why? Is it really so bad you need to update it that often?
I gave up on flash a few years back. If I REALLY need to see something in flash, chrome has a built in player. I've used firefox for day to day operations for many years, but keep chrome installed for just this reason.
Old 12-25-17, 07:56 PM
mollusk
Elite Fred

Bikes: 2009 Spooky (cracked frame), 2006 Curtlo, 2002 Lemond (current race bike) Zurich, 1987 Serotta Colorado, 1986 Cannondale for commuting, a 1984 Cannondale on loan to my son

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 60 Post(s)
Liked 42 Times in 19 Posts
Originally Posted by Ttoc6
I gave up on flash a few years back.
Steve Jobs killed it by not letting it into the Apple universe. After that Adobe didn't really work hard at it and it had floundered. Apple fans will say that this proved Jobs correct, but that is too simplistic.
Old 01-04-18, 07:47 AM
topflightpro

Hopefully one of you guys can help me. I'm using Chrome. Now that videos have been upgraded to HTML5, I am no longer able to watch them when embedded and sometimes even in YouTube.

Any idea how to fix that?
Old 01-04-18, 09:33 AM
TheKillerPenguin
Nonsense

Bikes: Affirmative

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 880 Post(s)
Liked 541 Times in 237 Posts
By unable to watch do you mean that they aren't showing up, or that they stutter when attempting to play them?
Old 01-04-18, 11:15 AM
topflightpro

They are just fuzzy screens that won't load.
Old 01-04-18, 07:19 PM
Ttoc6
Cat 2

General suggestion since I have never had this problem.. Clear your cache and cookies. Then hit up google for advice.. https://productforums.google.com/for...me/wsDhGzP73bI
Old 01-04-18, 07:20 PM
Ttoc6
Cat 2

My brother bought me a 3d printer for xmas and it just showed up at my apartment. Super stoked to get to play with it. I used some pretty nice stuff in college but owning my own is pretty exciting.
Old 01-04-18, 07:48 PM
Enthalpic
Killing Rabbits

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 278 Post(s)
Liked 217 Times in 102 Posts
Originally Posted by Ttoc6
My brother bought me a 3d printer for xmas and it just showed up at my apartment. Super stoked to get to play with it. I used some pretty nice stuff in college but owning my own is pretty exciting.
Use ventilation, that crap creates toxic fumes.
Old 01-04-18, 08:04 PM
Ttoc6
Cat 2

Originally Posted by Enthalpic
First I've heard of this. Guess it makes sense.. Melting plastic and what not. Not really any way for me to properly vent it in my apartment so I guess I'll just have to commit to getting the cancer.
Old 01-04-18, 08:06 PM
mattm
**** that

Mentioned: 151 Post(s)
Quoted: 1099 Post(s)
Liked 104 Times in 30 Posts
Originally Posted by Enthalpic
Depends on the filament used, I think - PLA doesn't seem to smell too bad, and it's made from non-toxic stuff right?

Anyway I haven't died yet and I've been printing with it in a small office for the last month or so.

I've heard ABS and other materials are a different story.

3D printing is fun though, I recently got in to it for work; a whole new world for me!

Check out OctoPrint if you have't already, it's rad.

my race videos
Old 01-04-18, 08:40 PM
Ttoc6
Cat 2

Originally Posted by mattm
Depends on the filament used, I think - PLA doesn't seem to smell too bad, and it's made from non-toxic stuff right?

Anyway I haven't died yet and I've been printing with it in a small office for the last month or so.

I've heard ABS and other materials are a different story.

3D printing is fun though, I recently got in to it for work; a whole new world for me!

Check out OctoPrint if you have't already, it's rad.
ooh. Hadn't seen that one. I'm using the reptier-server free trial for now but I'll check that out when my trial runs out.
Old 01-05-18, 05:21 PM
mollusk
Elite Fred

Bikes: 2009 Spooky (cracked frame), 2006 Curtlo, 2002 Lemond (current race bike) Zurich, 1987 Serotta Colorado, 1986 Cannondale for commuting, a 1984 Cannondale on loan to my son

We are building a nice two bay garage with a shop (for me) along with a 900 sq ft living space for my MIL in our backyard. We have about 0.5 acres and the zoning allows it. I have been cobbling together some hardware so that she can use our internet instead of having to pay for her own. The total distance of the wireless bridge will be about 60 feet. I took an older wireless router and loaded it with dd-wrt to use as a client bridge and used another otherwise unused piece as an access point for both 2.4 GHz and 5 GHz wireless access. It works great. I tested it by putting them as far away as possible in my house from my main router and it is seamless. I used the 2.4 GHz band for the bridging because of the distance, but might change it to the 5 GHz band if I can get a reasonable connection. 5 GHz worked well in my testing, but it wasn't quite as far away as what will be required in practice. She does use Netflix so optimizing the data streaming is important.

I can always run some CAT5 cable, but I am looking to avoid that. I did run Cat5 from my main router to my TV for Netflix streaming but I could do that by running the cable under my house.
Old 03-01-18, 08:34 PM
Flatballer
No matches

About the only programming language I use these days is IEC-61131, for programing PLC automation stuff basically.

I think its strength is that it's very efficient and small, but man, that makes it annoying to program.

I needed to iterate through an array today, probably one of the simplest things you can do in a program, and I screwed it up, and took me a couple minutes debugging to figure out why.

You have to advance the pointer by sizeof(datatype) each iteration or you'll end up in the next byte instead of the next block.

Been a really long time since I used a language that you had to use literal pointers and addresses to move through an array. Maybe C was like that? Been years since that.

Edit: Yep, C has bracket notation and pointers are sized to data type. In mine the pointer always just points to one byte, so you have to be careful. Crazy.

Last edited by Flatballer; 03-01-18 at 08:58 PM.
Old 03-01-18, 11:57 PM
mattm
**** that

Mentioned: 151 Post(s)
Quoted: 1099 Post(s)
Liked 104 Times in 30 Posts
Originally Posted by Flatballer
About the only programming language I use these days is IEC-61131, for programing PLC automation stuff basically.
Sounds cool though, doing low-level programming like that. Maybe you could get hired to write the next Stuxnet?! (I assume that was done in some kind of PLC magic language)

These days I'm at the opposite end of the spectrum for sure.

my race videos
Old 05-02-18, 05:21 AM
Mantic0re

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
is the thread dying?
Old 05-02-18, 04:39 PM
mollusk
Elite Fred

Originally Posted by Mantic0re
is the thread dying?
I hope not.

I just got back from replying to my IT folks about trading in my "old" laptop for a newer one. I had no intention of doing so, but they said that I had an old one and I could trade it in for a newer one.

My laptop is 8 years old is is still much better that the ones that were traded in recently. It is not even close. Most of them were only 3 or 4 years old.

But I did have to pull some strings to get a really good laptop way back when, And I knew it was built to last and has.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.