Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

The Newbie's Guide To Touring Bikes

Search
Notices
Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

The Newbie's Guide To Touring Bikes

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-16, 12:51 PM
mymorningjacket

Bikes: Norco Threshold, Masi Giramondo

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 86 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Kickstands while touring?

Just a simple question pertaining to kick stands. Yay or nay? Pros and cons?
Old 12-19-16, 04:40 PM
skrudumra

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Touring build

I'm just wrapping up my second touring build after wearing out the crank bearing stays in my last one. This latest build is a steel frame Giant. I put aluminum wheels, aluminum seat post with a modern light weight saddle. The bike came with flat bars and those never fit my frame well so I replaced them with some super light weight aluminum bars from Sunlite. I put on some cheap Bell comfort tires and will upgrade those soon as it's tough to make good speed on soft 26" tires. The bike weighs I guess around 30lbs. but you'd never know riding it as it feels very light and stiff. It climbs hills effortlessly but again, not blindingly fast. On my racer I usually keep a 15-17mph average while on my commuter 12-15 average. In the future, I would like to find a 1"stem, carbon fiber fork for cantilever brakes and 26"wheel.
Old 12-20-16, 10:56 AM
jefnvk

Bikes: 2016 Novara Mazama

Mentioned: 63 Post(s)
Quoted: 3640 Post(s)
Liked 81 Times in 51 Posts
Originally Posted by mymorningjacket
In case you haven't figured it out yet, there is nothing simple about it. Most threads wind up something like this one: https://www.bikeforums.net/touring/10...-bad-news.html

Everyone has their preferences, and everyone has their notions that their way is the only proper way. Pick one that works for YOU and go with it.
Old 12-22-16, 01:33 PM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10955 Post(s)
Liked 7,484 Times in 4,186 Posts
Originally Posted by vlicon
When my wife suggested we give each other touring bikes for Christmas, I have learned not to argue about such things. We immediately drove to the local bike shop and bought each other a Salsa Marrakesh. My new bike and I got acquainted today on a 30 mile ride around town. It felt great. I'll need to get used to riding at a little slower pace. It's definitely not as light as the carbon road bike. But the low gears make it a breeze for grinding up steep hills. The Brooks 17 was no less comfortable than my most comfortable saddle. I am looking forward to us hitting the road for several trips next summer.
Cool wife.
Old 12-25-16, 07:56 PM
skrudumra

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by ibimus
Hey, I have a dumb-ish question about sizing.
Okay, on REI, it says that an X-Small bike is fit for people 5'0"-5'3", and a Small is 5'3"-5'6".
I'm exactly 5'3". Which size?!
As a rule of thumb, always ride the biggest frame that you can comfortably ride.
Old 12-25-16, 08:02 PM
skrudumra

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by axle2152
What kind of power output do you get out of your dynamo hub? I look at some and I recall the rating being something like 3 watts, which isn't all that much. I'm considering solar panels to put atop the rear rack. I'm considering a trailer over panniers, any thoughts on that? Looking at the Burley 2 wheeled bike trailer as an option.

I think in the case of my Nashiki Manitoba the biggest concern are the Weinmann ZAC19 wheels. They're cheap and probably fine for light riding but bound to have trouble at some point with breaking spokes and having to be trued. Lot of not so great reviews on the wheels, but the reviewers were doing drops and all kinds of stunts and ruining the wheels which cost $30 each. Better off getting a better set of wheels, otherwise I don't know what else would be a major negative on the bike. All the major components are Shimano, so I'm guessing it is adequate? I think in the short term everything is fine.
Weinmann wheels are cheap but they're excellent. Light weight and strong. True them once a year barring incident.
Old 12-26-16, 10:40 AM
Juan2know

Bikes: Fuji Absolute SX

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I'm going to put one on my Long Haul Trucker by spring at the latest. I think it will come in handy when no tree or building is around. There are some metal leaning post type stands, maybe 36" or so tall and has a U shape on the end so you can put it in the ground and lean your bike up against it. Most bicycle stores can order for you. Or look for bike stands on ebay or amazon.
Old 12-27-16, 04:01 PM
rawly old

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I have two on my 'version' of a LHT, a two leg that rocks to lift either wheel off the ground for tuning,& a rear mount tilt leg.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
048.jpg (101.7 KB, 906 views)

Last edited by rawly old; 12-31-16 at 12:54 PM.
Old 01-02-17, 09:51 AM
cyber.snow

Bikes: Salsa Vaya, Salsa Fargo, TREK DS

Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by jefnvk
In case you haven't figured it out yet, there is nothing simple about it. Most threads wind up something like this one: https://www.bikeforums.net/touring/10...-bad-news.html

Everyone has their preferences, and everyone has their notions that their way is the only proper way. Pick one that works for YOU and go with it.
I have tried touring without, with single leg and with double leg kickstands. In my experience, I prefer the double leg kickstand (with adjustable legs) especially while loading or unloading the bike.
Old 03-14-17, 02:25 PM
morbikes

Bikes: 2016 Surly Long Haul Trucker; 68 Schwinn Racer; Giant Ranier mtn bike; '74 Raleigh Grand Prix (project)

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Juan2know

I'm going to put one on my Long Haul Trucker by spring at the latest. I think it will come in handy when no tree or building is around. There are some metal leaning post type stands, maybe 36" or so tall and has a U shape on the end so you can put it in the ground and lean your bike up against it. Most bicycle stores can order for you. Or look for bike stands on ebay or amazon.
Before you do that be sure to go to the Surly website and see their advice about attaching a kickstand to the frame of a LHT. They do not recommend it.
Old 08-28-17, 10:21 PM
Panthadad2
Panthadad2

Bikes: 2018 Detroit Bikes A-Type 8sp, 2016 Trek 520, 2009 Trek Lime, 2006 Raleigh Route 66 drop bar convert, 1993 Trek 750 drop bar convert, 1983 Schwinn Varsity (Chicago built)

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by cyber.snow
I have tried touring without, with single leg and with double leg kickstands. In my experience, I prefer the double leg kickstand (with adjustable legs) especially while loading or unloading the bike.
Any recommendation on a double leg kickstand, or tips for installation, that won't scratch the hell out of the paint (like most kickstands)? I'm trying to make my 1993 chromoly Trek 750 last as long as possible and had to do some serious paint touching-up after removing the kickstand installed by the bike shop (bought it used).
Old 08-31-17, 07:12 PM
vickorano

Bikes: 2006 Schwinn Skyliner hybrid

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hi all, new here. I've never toured before but I am very interested in trying. I am, however, very anxious & kind of scared to do it alone. I'm having a lot of trouble finding groups of people to do it with. I'm just one woman and I'm very nervous about the more nuanced aspects of long-term touring; the execution of the tour, interaction with people, finding safe places, staying safe on the road, preventing theft, avoiding assault or worse. Are there any women on the forum--or do you know any--who have toured alone successfully? I'm very interested in the experiences of people who are experienced tourists; what problems have you faced, how did you solve them? People interactions, road danger concerns, location safety, things like that. I'm very scared of being assaulted, kidnapped, robbed or run over. I do travel alone but I feel like bicycling makes one more vulnerable. Thanks for reading, I hope to hear some stories or advice. I very much want to try touring, very soon.
Old 09-04-17, 04:26 PM
ksisler

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Most consistent breakfast has been a McDonald's Delux Breakfast with a Large Coffee. About $5. Just sayin'
Old 09-04-17, 07:54 PM
dgodave
Behold my avatar:

Bikes: 2019 Gorilla Monsoon, 2013 Surly Krampus, Brompton folder

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 6941 Post(s)
Liked 444 Times in 289 Posts
Originally Posted by vickorano
Hi all, new here. I've never toured before but I am very interested in trying. I am, however, very anxious & kind of scared to do it alone. I'm having a lot of trouble finding groups of people to do it with. I'm just one woman and I'm very nervous about the more nuanced aspects of long-term touring; the execution of the tour, interaction with people, finding safe places, staying safe on the road, preventing theft, avoiding assault or worse. Are there any women on the forum--or do you know any--who have toured alone successfully? I'm very interested in the experiences of people who are experienced tourists; what problems have you faced, how did you solve them? People interactions, road danger concerns, location safety, things like that. I'm very scared of being assaulted, kidnapped, robbed or run over. I do travel alone but I feel like bicycling makes one more vulnerable. Thanks for reading, I hope to hear some stories or advice. I very much want to try touring, very soon.
Maybe start a whole separate thread for this? Might get buried in this one.
Old 09-11-17, 07:59 PM
ksisler

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by mymorningjacket
I your bike has a mount for one, then go for it. It provides a degree of utility. I like the aluminum ones that can be trimmed to fit. Never liked the ones that bolt to the rear dropout and/chain-stays.
Old 09-13-17, 12:57 PM
sarahdavignon

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
first-timer

HI, I'll be going on my first bike tour in Europe. V casual, lots of down time, no camping (Air b&B, likely). But since I have never gone on a multi-day trip before, and since I will be far away from home, I wonder what tips and tricks you might have for a first-timer.

(I'll be in Italy, if anyone is curious)

Thanks,
S
Old 09-13-17, 01:18 PM
eric044

Bikes: Nashbar Race SIS, Spalding Road Step Through Single Speed, Kent Road Single Speed, 630 Cruiser, Fuji Odessa mountain bike

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 109 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by vickorano
i plotted a cool route from long island to bethlehem, pa, but haven't done it yet. in theory, it should be no worries everywhere. im not a huge guy but more worried about getting stuck in a remote location compared to crime. crime can happen anywhere. would pack a bike lock though. where in PA are you?
Old 09-27-17, 01:06 PM
eaglegamma

Bikes: Lots, but one at a time!

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I've met a number of female touring cyclists, some solo and some not. Overall it comes across as a positive experience. You are indeed more vulnerable traveling by bicycle, however people are aware of that and act accordingly by offering greater hospitality and assistance. In some regions with more traditional attitudes it can still be dangerous and inadvisable, however in most of the US and many other countries you'd be fine.
Also, you can find people to ride with, for the short or long term, if you prefer greater comfort that way.
Safety understandably affects women as a concern more than men in riding in general (not just touring). I wonder what changes would help make women feel more comfortable touring?
Old 09-28-17, 11:26 PM
vickorano

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by dgodave
Maybe start a whole separate thread for this? Might get buried in this one.
I would, if I could, but the forum doesn't allow new threads for new users until they meet a post count. So I just dropped it here. :c
Old 09-28-17, 11:30 PM
vickorano

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by eric044
i plotted a cool route from long island to bethlehem, pa, but haven't done it yet. in theory, it should be no worries everywhere. im not a huge guy but more worried about getting stuck in a remote location compared to crime. crime can happen anywhere. would pack a bike lock though. where in PA are you?
I'm in Erie, PA. Doesn't take long to get into the countryside out here. I actually have a very complete hiking gear & biking gear pack. I'm just trying to figure out if I can afford panniers or if I should just strap the whole backpack onto my cargo rack--which is possible.

I can hold my own in remote areas, I've taken long primitive camping trips before. My main fears are being harassed by drivers in cities, (I'm terrified still of driving on the road,) theft, and assault when no one else is around. :/
Old 09-28-17, 11:32 PM
vickorano

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by ksisler
Most consistent breakfast has been a McDonald's Delux Breakfast with a Large Coffee. About $5. Just sayin'
Hey, no shame in that-- it's also the most consistent breakfast you'll get on a road trip. That, and gas station food. I'm used to it (I kinda like it, lol.) Besides packing snacks & water, I totally get it.
Old 10-08-17, 08:44 PM
Tomodachi

Bikes: Giant Defy

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hi, I plan to tour in Japan in January. It's going to be snow in some parts and I may have to camp out doors for some parts.

Has anyone had any experience in the snow and if so any tips that you would like to share.
Old 10-09-17, 01:45 AM
shaunp

Bikes: AWOL - XL

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Tomodachi
Hi, I plan to tour in Japan in January. It's going to be snow in some parts and I may have to camp out doors for some parts.

Has anyone had any experience in the snow and if so any tips that you would like to share.

Where are you planning to go in Japan?
Old 10-09-17, 05:51 PM
Tomodachi

Bikes: Giant Defy

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I hope to go in the Gunma Prefecture, starting in Takasaki -Mount Asama - Kusatsu - Ikaho and finish up back in Takasaki.
There will be some mountainous regions in this tour.
Old 10-11-17, 08:17 AM
shaunp

Bikes: AWOL - XL

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Tomodachi
I hope to go in the Gunma Prefecture, starting in Takasaki -Mount Asama - Kusatsu - Ikaho and finish up back in Takasaki.
There will be some mountainous regions in this tour.
Bring a very good sleeping bag…the cold might be a bigger problem than the snow…

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.