Go Back  Bike Forums > Community Connections > Regional Discussions > Northeast
Reload this Page >

Metro Boston: Good ride today?

Notices
Northeast Connecticut | Maine | Massachusetts | New Hampshire | New Jersey | New York |Rhode Island | Vermont |

Metro Boston: Good ride today?

Old 09-08-19, 12:14 PM
rholland1951

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 532 Post(s)
Liked 1,696 Times in 872 Posts
Originally Posted by mr_bill
Literally, that hit’s too close to home.

Take good care, and if you haven’t already, please report the crash.

-mr. bill
Originally Posted by Ghazmh
Hi Rod, I am sorry to read about this incident. Recover comfortably and I hope to see you out in the road soon.
Originally Posted by rumrunn6
Yikes! Get well soon. Moved Sonny Boy to Medford and crossed a cpl sets of RR tracks also drove thru West Concord and saw ppl planting trees on the BFRT also drove thru Arlington and saw some sort of festivities in that little park corner of Mystic & Mass - w/ 2 adult kids moved out I shud b back on the bike again soon
Originally Posted by jimmuller
Sorry to read that.

I find the Mill St crossing to be hazardous, not because of the cars but because of the other cyclists. Lake St is stressful because of the cars. The entire MM from Lexington to Alewife can be tricky also because of the 'destrians mixed in with the bikes and e-bikes and e-scooters and dog walkers.
Guys, many thanks for the good wishes. I'll be working the issue of lane discipline in Minuteman/road intersections with ABAC, while seeing if I can overcome my distaste for the stationary bicycle until riding the ones that move seems to make sense again.

rod
Old 09-10-19, 08:13 AM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5219 Post(s)
Liked 3,564 Times in 2,331 Posts
any thoughts to share on cause & prevention? was it someone, on the wrong side, at a road crossing, going too fast?
Old 09-10-19, 03:22 PM
rholland1951

any thoughts to share on cause & prevention? was it someone, on the wrong side, at a road crossing, going too fast?
Someone headed outbound tried to pass other outbound riders who were proceeding two- (three- ?) abreast across Mill Street, and came swooping across my bow as I was headed inbound across the intersection, and clipped me (front tire? handlebar? things happened fast...). I had one of those "Where did he come from?!" moments that we tend to mock drivers for, and then went down, hard. From my point of view, this was an error in judgement on the other rider's part, which I doubt he'll repeat.

Take-away is that intersections present a temptation for riders to re-sort themselves, a temporary easing of restrictions (disappearance of lane striping, sudden apparent broadening of the way) and that can be hazardous, especially in crowded conditions. Good lane discipline in intersections is essential, and is often not practiced. Signaling turns and lane changes in intersections is also critical. Throw pedestrians, dogs, and children into the mix to get the full complexity of this use case. Bike path lane markers are generally not continued across intersections; perhaps they should be, or perhaps some other cognitive aids (e.g., signs) could be helpful. Something to think about, and perhaps work to change.

rod

Last edited by rholland1951; 09-10-19 at 03:26 PM.
Likes For rholland1951:
Old 09-10-19, 06:19 PM
NomarsGirl

Bikes: Specialized Ruby Sport

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 318 Post(s)
Liked 314 Times in 165 Posts
The Loire Valley in France is part of metro Boston, right? Trip report from my first ever tour ..

The bike shop didn't have any of the high quality hybrids available so had to settle. Mine was okay. The hubby had trouble with the front derailleur on his and the front brake froze on him.

My rented steed. Adequate, but i missed my Ruby.
We got a little lost coming out of Tours but eventually got on the bike path. The fabulous Cher River.

Got lost coming out of Tours, but eventually found the route along the Cher River
First stop was the chateau de Villandry which is supposed to have the finest gardens in all of france. It did not disappoint. And many of the plants are edible.
First stop - Chateau de Villandry. Known for having the most beautiful gardens in France. It's up there but I've been to Versailles and was totally charmed by Monet's garden in Giverny.
Overnight stop in Azay le Rideau which is home to another beautiful chateau. Or was closed by the time we arrived so could only peek through the gate.

After a hardy breakfast, we set out for Chateau d'Usse. Said to be the inspiration for Sleeping Beauty, it did look like something out of a fairy tale.

Hubby posing on the approach to the Chateau d'Usse. It is said to be the inspiration for the story of Sleeping Beauty.

Does look like something out of a fairy tale.

Big hill to climb after the chateau but continued through vineyards on the way to Chinon where we got a train back to the starting point.
Likes For NomarsGirl:
Old 09-10-19, 09:18 PM
rholland1951

Originally Posted by NomarsGirl
The Loire Valley in France is part of metro Boston, right? Trip report from my first ever tour ..

Does look like something out of a fairy tale.

That looks like an absolutely lovely tour! Enjoy!

rod
Old 09-11-19, 02:33 AM
Ghazmh

Bikes: 2022 Salsa Beargrease, 2020 Seven Evergreen, 2019 Honey Allroads Ti, 2018 Seven Redsky XX, 2017 Trek Boon 7, 2014 Trek 520

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 693 Post(s)
Liked 903 Times in 486 Posts
Captain Picard is from the Loire Valley!
Likes For Ghazmh:
Old 09-11-19, 04:44 AM
NomarsGirl

Captain Picard is from the Loire Valley!
His ancestors living there now run a grocery chain.

But why did Captain Picard have a British accent?
Old 09-11-19, 06:33 AM
mr_bill

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 2111 Post(s)
Liked 663 Times in 443 Posts

Looks like a wonderful trip!

But....

Anyhow, for a Metro Boston trip to France (well, the French Empire at least, Senegal actually) consider stopping at Mamadou's Artisinal Bakery at 677 Mass Ave in Arlington.

-mr. bill
Likes For mr_bill:
Old 09-11-19, 06:48 AM
mr_bill

Originally Posted by rholland1951
Someone headed outbound tried to pass other outbound riders who were proceeding two- (three- ?) abreast across Mill Street, and came swooping across my bow as I was headed inbound across the intersection, and clipped me (front tire? handlebar? things happened fast...). I had one of those "Where did he come from?!" moments that we tend to mock drivers for, and then went down, hard. From my point of view, this was an error in judgement on the other rider's part, which I doubt he'll repeat.

Take-away is that intersections present a temptation for riders to re-sort themselves, a temporary easing of restrictions (disappearance of lane striping, sudden apparent broadening of the way) and that can be hazardous, especially in crowded conditions. Good lane discipline in intersections is essential, and is often not practiced. Signaling turns and lane changes in intersections is also critical. Throw pedestrians, dogs, and children into the mix to get the full complexity of this use case. Bike path lane markers are generally not continued across intersections; perhaps they should be, or perhaps some other cognitive aids (e.g., signs) could be helpful. Something to think about, and perhaps work to change.

rod
Since the ADA rework of the Mill Street crossing was recently done, this one might be left to our children sadly. (BTW, check out the ADA rework error at Summer/Mill, at the Scutra corner. A bit of a cliff poured in conrete.)

Two examples:

This is close to what would be WONDERFUL at such crossings. Raised crossing, two marked pedestrian crossings on either side of the bike path in brick. Plantings that do not block sightlines!

It would be better if the bike crossing sign was on the near side (and was bike/ped crossing sign), and the tree in the middle is a bit unfortunate (but glad they didn't take it down).

Alewife Linear Park/Somerville Community Path crossing of Cameron Ave.)

Alston/Boston inverted it (green bike lanes on either side of the crosswalk). Note the cliff to trip up people in wheelchairs AND people on bikes.

One of the Cambridge Streets.

-mr. bill

Last edited by mr_bill; 09-11-19 at 06:54 AM.
Old 09-11-19, 07:19 AM
NomarsGirl

It would have been a shame not to use Patrick Stewart's real voice. I just don't understand why they didn't just change the character's name once they decided to cast him.
Old 09-11-19, 07:48 AM
mr_bill

Little known part of the Star Trek cannon.

In the great Brexit 2021 riots, Shakespearean actors were expelled from Britain in great numbers, amoung them Jean-Luc's great-great-great-great-grandmother.

They settled in the Loire Valley. Many fell in love with locals and married. But the primary language spoken in blended families was Shakespearean English. As well as Melvillian English. Of course French would also be spoken, and British English, which proved useful when travel restrictions were lifted in 2309, shortly after Jean-Luc's birth.

The United Kingdom joined the Federation in 2319, only to embark on leaving the Federation with the 2361 Brexit 2.0 vote. The negotiations continued through 2399, when the Bremain vote finally settled the issue.

-mr. bill

Last edited by mr_bill; 09-11-19 at 08:55 AM.
Likes For mr_bill:
Old 09-11-19, 08:45 AM
rholland1951

Little known part of the Star Trek cannon.

In the great Brexit 2021 riots, Shakespearean actors were expelled from Britain in great numbers, amoung them Jean-Luc's great-grandmother.

They settled in the Loire Valley. Many fell in love with locals and married. But the primary language spoken in blended families was Shakespearean English. (As well as Melvillian English. Of course French would also be spoken, and British English, which proved useful when travel restrictions were lifted in 2309, shortly after Jean-Luc's birth.)

-mr. bill
That made my day. A rare jest! Bravo, sir!

rod
Old 09-11-19, 09:05 AM
rholland1951

Originally Posted by JudithJohnson
This is really funny!
Welcome to the thread!

rod
Old 09-11-19, 06:28 PM
Ghazmh

Bikes: 2022 Salsa Beargrease, 2020 Seven Evergreen, 2019 Honey Allroads Ti, 2018 Seven Redsky XX, 2017 Trek Boon 7, 2014 Trek 520

LOL, good question. It looks like an awesome and memorable experience. Thanks for sharing.
Old 09-11-19, 06:35 PM
Ghazmh

I have been in a good groove for the last few weeks, after the June rains kept me on my cross bike I’ve been racking up the miles in the early morning on my Seven and occasionally on my cross bike. I’ve been averaging 3 weekday mornings plus the weekends. I’ve also been taking my cross bike on trails including the Assabet wildlife refuge. I recently had the front shift cable on my Seven break clea off near where it attaches to the derailleur. A quick trip to the shop and it was repaired rather expeditiously. Although my posting here has declined I very much enjoy reading about everyone’s adventures, local or otherwise.

Old 09-12-19, 03:01 PM
autonomy

Bikes: 2012 Canondale Synapse 105, 2017 REI Co-Op ADV 3.1

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 507 Post(s)
Liked 237 Times in 133 Posts
Originally Posted by rholland1951

The Mummy finger-puppets!

Nitto Asymmetric Noodle (rare).

Had a chat with the young man riding the other bicycle, and satisfied myself that he's unlikely to repeat that particular error in judgement; we all have a quota for those, after all. No rants from me, then or now, just a bit of sober reflection on the volumes of mixed-use we get on that lovely resource, and the on-going challenges that presents.

The docs at Mount Auburn seem to be doing a good job with my fingers, and I should be back on the bike in six weeks or so, unless I get impatient and decide if I can touch-type with splints, I can operate the left brake lever with funny fingers. I did ride home from the accident, after all... And I'll have to swap in a new Noodle.

rod

Ouch! It seems the new school year brought out an influx of stupidity not to just the roads, but also to the trails. Hope you have a speedy recovery!
Old 09-13-19, 07:11 PM
autonomy

Timely
https://lexington.wickedlocal.com/ne...n-in-lexington
Old 09-14-19, 06:22 AM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

also been taking my cross bike on trails including the Assabet wildlife refuge.
thought that old road looked familiar - you do the perimeter roads? how were the water crossings?

Last edited by rumrunn6; 09-14-19 at 06:54 AM.
Old 09-15-19, 12:09 PM
rholland1951

Originally Posted by autonomy
I believe the statement that the Arlington Bicycle Advisory Committee voted in favor of a 15 mph posting is in error.

Just for the record, I think it's bone-stupid.

rod
Old 09-16-19, 07:28 AM
rumrunn6

you can write to the author, ppl do all the time. I read it as "voted to support the limit" & "recommended the signs"

but I'm curious, what is stupid? the limit? the signs? or both?

just for the record, I enjoy trying to get over 27 mph on the western downgrade heading on desolate fall / winter nights

Last edited by rumrunn6; 09-16-19 at 01:28 PM.
Old 09-16-19, 12:40 PM
mr_bill

And back through Harvard Square - which in 1983 was still a huge hole from the Red Line extension. Out of Town News would open in this location in another year.

-mr. bill
Fin

-mr. bill
Old 09-16-19, 01:27 PM
rumrunn6

sad, fondly remember browsing & buying there

EDIT - busy intersections there & I remember having to really obey the cross signals & cross walks. I heard yesterday? that a pedestrian was struck & killed, by a big truck, there

Last edited by rumrunn6; 09-19-19 at 08:23 AM.
Old 09-18-19, 06:59 PM
autonomy

you can write to the author, ppl do all the time. I read it as "voted to support the limit" & "recommended the signs"

but I'm curious, what is stupid? the limit? the signs? or both?

just for the record, I enjoy trying to get over 27 mph on the western downgrade heading on desolate fall / winter nights
I'm all for speed limit signs on the path, but all they'll ever do is "keep the honest people honest". There is way more that needs to be done to educate everyone to be courteous.

I try to refrain from complaining about people's behavior on the Minuteman as it's too localized and this thread is not the right venue (nope, not going into the A&S subforum), but I just have to share an interaction during today's commute that fits well into the big picture. It's all anecdotal, but people's behavior lately on this heavily-traveled MUP has made me weary. The ghost bike near Seasons Four, rholland's crash, my personal experiences during my last few outings with unsafe passing and getting cut-off - while with a kid...
Today there was a somewhat intelligent-looking guy maybe in his late 20s or 30s who was riding a hybrid-commuter-type bike very aggressively in a 'get out of my way' manner. He passed me unsafely earlier, long story short, I caught up with him again at Mill St where he proceeded to fly into the crosswalk without even slowing down, then yelled "HEY!!" at the lady in the car who was driving through and wouldn't have stopped in time for him even if she slammed on the brakes.

When I caught up with him shortly, this was our exchange:
Me: You know, we don't have the right of way there
Him: (very loudly) I don't give a F**K!!
Me: Well, you're giving us all a bad name!
Him: Go get killed! something something f-king something family
Me: OK, you have issues, have a nice day!

As I rode off he was still yelling stuff but I didn't really care to hear it. I don't usually interact with people much but something prompted me here. Now, some might say I didn't approach him the right way, but it was in the moment and that was the best I could come up with. Regardless, the screaming and cursing was a very inappropriate response, IMO.
What's my point besides just venting? Well, we see a lot of this stuff on our roads as drivers and it sucks to see it spill over to the trails where everyone is supposed to coexist. When I ride on the road, I'm taking a risk and I hope that nothing happens to me; that shouldn't be true on a dedicated rail trail, I shouldn't be scared that people are going to run into me or my child.
More people are riding, and that's good, but it's a double-edged sword, instances of bad behavior and judgement calls will increase as well and the community will have to deal with it eventually. Speed limit signs? Well, that's a drop in the ocean, but it's something.
Likes For autonomy:
Old 09-19-19, 06:04 PM
Ghazmh

thought that old road looked familiar - you do the perimeter roads? how were the water crossings?
Hey Rum, I’m not sure if what I rode went around the perimeter but I followed that bump road to a chain gate with no trespassing signs. From there I followed another bumpy ancient looking road through the woods to the Assabet River trail. I did the same again this past weekend. Next time I’ll look for side trails that aren’t signed as being for walkers/hikers.
Old 09-20-19, 06:55 AM
rumrunn6

Hey Rum, I’m not sure if what I rode went around the perimeter but I followed that bump road to a chain gate with no trespassing signs. From there I followed another bumpy ancient looking road through the woods to the Assabet River trail. I did the same again this past weekend. Next time I’ll look for side trails that aren’t signed as being for walkers/hikers.
that place is like my backyard ...

https://www.bikeforums.net/northeast...orridor-2.html

in an hour I can ride down there, loop the perimeter roads & get back home. for extra fun I will explore the inner maze of trails. I've tried to get lost but always wind up hitting one of the perimeter roads. there's also more riding outside the boundaries of the preserve. it's a national park so there's a ranger manned visitors' center year-round. after hours there's a very decent M/W outhouse

I've been on the trails marked for pedestrians only & it wasn't the end of the world. in fact many of the interior trails aren't marked like that, anyway. in the winter I can go out there & see maybe just 1 or 2 ppl. gotta love the die-hards! anyway I was asking about the water crossings, there are a cpl places where they've engineered around the marshes & a couple places where it gets deeper & more interesting

very enjoyable place to ride in the Fall

I enter from White Pond Road

enjoy!

Last edited by rumrunn6; 09-20-19 at 07:07 AM.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.