Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

What's the best deal you've gotten on a bike?

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-19, 05:53 PM
bargo68 
Dedicated Detritus Dodger

Bikes: Some mighty fine ones at that!

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 191 Post(s)
Liked 603 Times in 247 Posts
Got a Serotta Atlanta with full Shimano 6401 8 speed group at a local Goodwill for 250.

Last edited by bargo68; 11-04-19 at 11:57 PM.
Likes For bargo68:
Old 11-04-19, 07:45 PM
murphysmom

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
deals

My friend found a kids Specialized Hotrock for $10 for me! Just needed the tires aired up and cleaned. My nephew will get it. Also,got another kids Specialized Hotrock for $45 . Another nephew made that bike his new ride. My other find on CL was a Electra Townie 7 speed for $100. Sold it for a bit more to a lady who drove off with in the back of her convertible.
Old 11-04-19, 08:18 PM
rossiny

Bikes: Trek 970, Bianchi Volpe,Casati

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 356 Post(s)
Liked 120 Times in 86 Posts

I bought from a guy who built it, then i guess he had to many bike and let this go for 800. All campy centaur. I wish i kept his number. I need some advise on a touring bike. PS the bike was new old stock. Rides awesome. If by chance you see post, contact me thanks. PS I also scored a Trek 970 old school mountain bike for 120!!

Last edited by rossiny; 11-04-19 at 08:23 PM.
Likes For rossiny:
Old 11-05-19, 02:57 PM
RidingMatthew
Let's Ride!

Bikes: --2010 Jamis 650b1-- 2016 Cervelo R2-- 2018 Salsa Journeyman 650B

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 327 Post(s)
Liked 37 Times in 24 Posts
Originally Posted by bahoogan
You can get some great steals online like Craigslist or Facebook marketplace, so just curious if anyone has ever gotten a real premium bike for dirt cheap.
I bought my Jamis 65B1 in 2010 from Nantahala outdoor center during their gear days for less that $900. My receipt told me i save almost $2000 on it.
Old 11-05-19, 07:26 PM
SDkid605

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Free dumpster finds

Had a Magna mountain bike, (crashed it in a sinkhole) and still have a Trek 220 that people just put out as trash.

They just needed a wheel, or had a flat tire, and etc.

City people just seem to not have the time to recycle, even though a donation place is always nearby.

People put them out as recycling item for the "junker trucks that cruise the alleys here.

Not ashamed to say that I cruise alleys to work & back & find stuff all the time.

Amazing what you find in a 3 mile commute.

Just recently picked up a CraigsList "LaJolla" beach cruiser for $10, also;

Rear tire, plus tube, & a new seat, to fix, and I now have a winter commute bike to save my nice "expensive" bikes !!

( Bring the nice ones indoors over the winter, it snows & freezes here )

Don't make fun of me for riding a woman's beach cruiser as you pass me;

Come spring I'll be back on my sparkly clean Cannondale or Trek bike !!
Old 11-06-19, 04:12 PM
Jim from Boston

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 800 Post(s)
Liked 218 Times in 171 Posts
You can get some great steals online like Craigslist or Facebook marketplace, so just curious if anyone has ever gotten a real premium bike for dirt cheap.
Originally Posted by Speedway2
The best Deal is the one you ride the most........
Originally Posted by N00b_Cyclist
That is epically epic. One day, when I get over the idea that I can only have 1 bike, I need to find a deal like this. Ride on!
Originally Posted by Wilmingtech
Half the fun of N+1 is bikes is shopping for them.
For me only two bikes are necessary: a fine road bike and a quality beater.
Originally Posted by Jim from Boston
…My wife and I were together ardent cycle tourists for a long time, so she understands the bike mentality…

Her only demand is no more than two bikes allowed out of storage in our rather small downtown condo. A new hybrid would displace the aluminum road beater.
My five best deals:
For years, I rode a steel Bridgestone RB-1, costing about $650 down from about $800 as an end-of-year model when I bought it in the early 1980’s. I came to learn it was considered a classic.
...First there was the $250 Mercier in '74, with Reynolds double-butted tubing, but was that good enough?...Noooo – it didn’t have Campagnolo components.

I sunk lower…Bought a steel Bridgestone RB-1 in ‘84 for about $600 (on a clearance sale). Even Sheldon Brown considered it a classic, but carbon fiber came out.
After the introduction of carbon fiber bikes, I always wondered if the premium prices of CF, which I considered to be about $2000 was worth the presumed enhanced riding experience.

The Bridgestone was totaled in 2012 in an accident from which I was not sure I would ride again. Well I did, and decided to get a CF. My trusted mechanic said here’s the bike you want, knowing my riding style. Well the MSRP was $8000, but he got it for me at half off.

Now, considering the attitude most non- or occasional cyclists towards bicycles and prices, I’m frankly somewhat embarrassed to admit to paying so much, sounding like some over-the-top conspicuous consumption.

Personally, I can afford it, and it was an offer I could not refuse. Cycling is that important to me and I’m fortunate to be able to continue the lifestyle, so that puts it in perspective for me.
"Help with choosing a bike."

...Now here’s where I’m coming from. I have described myself as a decades-long, year-round lifestyle cyclist, and my favored bike is a high-end carbon fiber bike costing thousands of dollars..

I also have a aluminum beater road bike costing about $1500, and for me that was a minimal road bike, to be used in bad weather.

FWIW, I also have a Giant Escape hybrid bike [no photo]that I recently bought for rehabilitation, because I was having trouble with my neck and shoulders riding the drop bars.

That bike cost about $600, and IMO was a good value as an all-round bike, certainly more amenable to off-road riding than my expensive carbon fiber road bike, and sturdy for my urban commute on the mean streets of Boston.
...In general all my bike purchases are more serendipitous than researched.

The Bridgestone RB-1 was, and the Specialized S-Works is a fine machine.
...I liken my three bikes to a Lamborghini, a Humvee [a Cannondale mountain bike, former beater], and a Lexus.
The new hybrid is a Buick.

Last edited by Jim from Boston; 11-06-19 at 04:29 PM.
Old 11-06-19, 06:02 PM
Ogsarg

Bikes: 2019 Specialized Roubaix Comp Di2, 2009 Roubaix, early 90's Giant Iguana

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 641 Post(s)
Liked 1,517 Times in 549 Posts
Haha, well I'm kind of new to bikes, and posted this question partly to reach the ten post threshold so I can post photos and links. But I recently got a pretty cool 70s Schwinn Sprint roadbike for $60. It's in good shape, looks unique, and from what I gather usually runs for a bit more than $60.
I had a Sprint from around that time that I bought in the late 70's. Had an S'bend in the seat post and weighed a ton. Came with an original schwinn mousetrap rack and generator with headlight and tailight. Have never seen another frame with that odd seat post.
Old 11-14-19, 10:05 AM
bahoogan

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Ogsarg
I had a Sprint from around that time that I bought in the late 70's. Had an S'bend in the seat post and weighed a ton. Came with an original schwinn mousetrap rack and generator with headlight and tailight. Have never seen another frame with that odd seat post.
Yeah whenever I bring it in to a bike shop everyone there is usually bewildered by the shape of the frame. And it really does weigh maybe twice as much as other bikes.
Old 11-14-19, 04:37 PM
anon06

Bikes: Giant Cypress

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 6 Posts
I'm sad when I finally manage to come across a nice, secondhand road bike being sold cheaply, locally (lucky person who has bid on it), but it's not in my size or when I find them in my size, but they're being sold, secondhand, in another state, where they won't ship. My size is hard to find, secondhand, because not many people my height seem to cycle (or they're more likely to just buy department store bikes because they only want to occasionally cycle on vacation or on a trail), so good deals are hard to find.

Reselling wouldn't work. Locals don't seem to be interested in buying secondhand bikes; there are plenty of racing and road bikes still listed for several hundreds/thousands of dollars, but no takers.

I'm curious to see whether a more expensive, lighter, road bike might make my commutes quicker or not. I'm envious of cyclists with more expensive road bikes who can cycle commute 18 miles+ in an hour.

Last edited by anon06; 11-14-19 at 05:13 PM.
Old 11-14-19, 09:29 PM
rob_ralph

Bikes: 92 GT Richter 8.0, 01 Schwinn Homegrown, 91 Alpinestar Cro-Mega DX, 92 GT Karakoram Tequila Sunrise, 91 GT Karakoram, 91 GT Avalanche

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 16 Times in 8 Posts
Right place, right time about a year and half ago. Found a Rivendell Romulus at a local Goodwill and gladly paid the $39.95 on the tag. Brought it home, washed it for a quick flip. Was a great boost for our Florida trip later that month.
Old 11-15-19, 12:27 AM
Kedosto
Callipygian Connoisseur

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 564 Post(s)
Liked 350 Times in 190 Posts
Free. I can’t recall exactly the number of bicycles I’ve been given. Nor can I rightly recall how many I’ve given away. There have been many. Because of my size (XL) most of the freebies are too small, so I tinker and tune them up before passing them along. My wife has made out pretty well over the years as a result. A couple of notables are a Specialized Stumpjumper a tenant left behind when he moved out and said “keep it,” and a carbon Felt Z6 a nurse crashed and couldn’t muster the courage to get back on so she gave it to me. Both were in mint condition. I rode the Stump for a bit before giving it to an X-ray tech at work. My wife rode the Z6 but never liked the geo so I sold it.

-Kedosto
Likes For Kedosto:
Old 11-15-19, 09:45 AM
bikecrate

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 623 Post(s)
Liked 397 Times in 226 Posts
I bought a friend's Motobecane Profile II back in the late 80's I think for under $50. Really cool bike with everything aero shaped on it.

Best new deal was a 2003 Trek 7500FX for $350. That is about half price. The owner of the store said that he used to be a Trek distributor and had an inside track to overstocked models at the end of the season, so he would get them in and sell them cheap. I later sold the Trek for $125. I got many many many miles out of that bike. I also purchased a 2004 and 2007 Lemond Zurich from the same shop, but not quite the big discount. Trek got better at not over producing and his supply of season end bikes dried up.
Old 11-15-19, 09:51 AM
burnthesheep
Newbie racer

Bikes: Propel, red is faster

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 1575 Post(s)
Liked 1,569 Times in 974 Posts
Free 2008 Felt DA time trial frameset. A superbike at its time. It came with some other free stuff that I wound up using short term, then swapping out as I accumulated money.

I repaired the carbon damage to it, and ride it now as my TT bike.

It's not a modern superbike, but it's still probably a faster frameset than a lot of entry to mid level TT frames sold today.

I think all in on the bike with a modern fancy aero cockpit, 1x drivetrain, 11spd, disc wheel, trispoke front, power meter, aero Speedplay pedals and shoes, skinsuit and helmet, etc.............I'm still under $1000 total. Probably right at it.

It's not an exact science, but using the Chung method and some Excel trickery I've tested the full setup well down into the lower 0.2XX range. Like, 220w for 25mph range.
Old 11-15-19, 03:19 PM
Ghazmh

Bikes: 2022 Salsa Beargrease, 2020 Seven Evergreen, 2019 Honey Allroads Ti, 2018 Seven Redsky XX, 2017 Trek Boon 7, 2014 Trek 520

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 696 Post(s)
Liked 910 Times in 487 Posts

I snagged this now extinct canti equipped Boone 7 cross bike with Force CX1 on sale for $2000. The wheels were the stock Bontrager take offs.
Old 11-15-19, 05:18 PM
Worknomore

Bikes: Serotta CRL, Litespeed Blue Ridge, Bacchetta Ti Aero, Cannondale delta V, 67 Schwinn Sting Ray stick shift.

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
Scored a pristine litespeed blue ridge with a carbon fork upgrade on craigslist for 900. 4k new. My go to commuter/ gravel bike for the past 10 years.
Old 11-16-19, 05:45 PM
dedhed
SE Wis

Bikes: '68 Raleigh Sprite, '02 Raleigh C500, '84 Raleigh Gran Prix, '91 Trek 400, 2013 Novara Randonee, 1990 Trek 970

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 2742 Post(s)
Liked 3,389 Times in 2,052 Posts
Originally Posted by anon06
I'm sad when I finally manage to come across a nice, secondhand road bike being sold cheaply, locally (lucky person who has bid on it), but it's not in my size or when I find them in my size, but they're being sold, secondhand, in another state, where they won't ship. My size is hard to find
I'm curious to see whether a more expensive, lighter, road bike might make my commutes quicker or not. I'm envious of cyclists with more expensive road bikes who can cycle commute 18 miles+ in an hour.
What's your size? Tall? What's your state?

This is just the first 2 pages here. "East Side" guy is a flipper who would probably ship.

https://milwaukee.craigslist.org/bik...006868390.html

https://milwaukee.craigslist.org/bik...021418187.html

https://milwaukee.craigslist.org/bik...002524635.html

https://milwaukee.craigslist.org/bik...007049935.html

https://milwaukee.craigslist.org/bik...002242338.html

https://milwaukee.craigslist.org/bik...018791792.html

https://milwaukee.craigslist.org/bik...006043717.html

https://milwaukee.craigslist.org/bik...008090606.html

https://milwaukee.craigslist.org/bik...020333244.html
Old 12-03-19, 07:36 PM
thehammerdog

Bikes: Road bike is a Carbon Bianchi C2C & Grandis (1980's), Gary Fisher Mt Bike, Trek Tandem & Mongoose SS MTB circa 1992.

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 722 Post(s)
Liked 353 Times in 226 Posts
2 great deals on titanium and steel bike

2 great deals in past 2 years both craigslist finds.
lemond 853 steel full Dura ace extra wheels. Speed play pedal and a stand for $200.
This year got a bianchi titanium frame carbon fork...$300.
built up with the 9 speed duraace from lemond.
thing is awesome.
Old 12-03-19, 07:57 PM
delbiker1 
Mother Nature's Son

Bikes: 2014 Orbea Avant MD30, 2004 Airborne Zeppelin TI, 2003 Lemond Poprad, 2001 Lemond Tourmalet, 2014? Soma Smoothie

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 852 Post(s)
Liked 1,433 Times in 815 Posts
I got a free frame and fork, Fuji Ace, from cyclingfool95. I acquired a cheap Scattante bike, with Sora components, that I scavenged the components from and installed on the Fuji. For minimal cost I have a nice riding, my size,

steel frame "do all bike" that fits at least 32mm tires. I used handlebars, stem, tires/tubes and saddle I had on hand. I also already had new brake/gear cables. And I bought and installed a new BB for around $20, cable stops for $12. I have new brake pads, Kool Stop salmon, on the way.
Old 12-07-19, 04:45 PM
Slightspeed

Bikes: 1964 Legnano Roma Olympiade, 1973 Raleigh Super Course, 1978 Raleigh Super Course, 1978 Peugeot PR10, 2002 Specialized Allez, 2007 Specialized Roubaix, 2013 Culprit Croz Blade

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 741 Post(s)
Liked 818 Times in 421 Posts
Two Raleigh Super Course frames, one free, the other $20.

"Free" '73 Super Course, as found in a back alley...

...turned out to be one of my favorite rides. Not an inexpensive build, though.

$20, as bought on local CL, '78 Super Course...

... turned out nice, cheap build from mostly spare parts.

Last edited by Slightspeed; 12-07-19 at 04:51 PM.
Old 12-08-19, 08:09 PM
Ironfish653
Dirty Heathen

Bikes: 1997 Cannondale, 1976 Bridgestone, 1998 SoftRide, 1989 Klein, 1989 Black Lightning #0033

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 889 Post(s)
Liked 906 Times in 534 Posts
Have had a number of free bikes that passed through my hands without a second thought, but I kept this one, cause it's so very, very pretty.

Then there's this thing:
I'm into it for ~$300 as it sits right now, because it's a two-wheeled wierdo from outer space, that most of BikeForums wouldn't go near without a hazmat suit.