Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Mountain Biking
Reload this Page >

Retro mod- 2003 Specialized Epic

Notices
Mountain Biking Mountain biking is one of the fastest growing sports in the world. Check out this forum to discuss the latest tips, tricks, gear and equipment in the world of mountain biking.

Old 11-30-19, 07:09 PM
gag4o

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

This is my 2003(2004) Speciallized epic 26". I had mountain bike long time ago when little (early 2000s) and a road bike – the junk GMC Denali from walmart which was fine for going around the block)

I wanted to be back in biking a little bit more "serious". I am car enthusiast, limo driver and partially mechanic so it was time for me to go back to sports atlest a little bit. So i could buy a new bike – like entry level sub $1000 bike and try to see how it feels or I can look around for some really cheap bike which in my case would make no difference. – I ride around the block and some light trails. So I said let me see what cheap good bike I can find. I found this 2003 speciallized epic in a pawn shop. Negotiated the price from $220 to $150 because I told them the brakes are removed (they were not)

This bike was pretty much in pristine mechanical condition. Bone stock. Had no freeplay whatsoever. Had original tires (worn maybe 50%) had the V brakes but was Disc ready. They left the mounts from the factory for the different specs on this bike. Bike rode perfect. Its like 10 times better and lighter too than any $150 walmart junk that they sell nowadays.

But that being said it was a little bit retro look but not that “cool retro” so I wanted to totally pimp it out. Took off all the parts and gave it for powder coating. I wanted the RAL color “pastel blau” and purchased slightly oversized vinyl stickers. The stickers are durable but when heavy used will chip while the powder coat is bonded really strong. Maybe better than factory paint. i just wanted it to have some "newer" look
The front suspention travel is 100mm I think and the rear one is some old FOX brain which if it brakes down I wouldn’t be able to find anymore. They both held air since 2003 probably and I checked the pressure and let some air out. Not the brightest idea

So my build resto-mod includes:

-I got new Specialized tires on sale for $7 for 2 – specialized tires
-bought 2 rotors and adapters – got 160mm on the back and 203mm on the front (cause 203) one Avid and one China brand $18

-shimano very regular hydraulic brakes with calipers $50
-New Salle royal $10 seat
-new WTB sealed bearing headset $20
-new stem and 31.8 handlebar (not yet installed)
-Ergon gp grips $25
-replaced all pivot bearings myself. Old ones very great but got toasted in the baking process $20
-New shifters – cheap chineese shimano Alvio $23
-New red jagwire cable housings with red end caps $14
-New shimano bbes30 bottom bracket $13
-New Sunrace rear cassette - $20ish
-New KMC X9 chaing - $12.50
-New mavic 26 disc wheels that are supposedly tubeless ready but wont try it for now $110
-Got new pedals – Wellgo WAM D10 magnesium pedals that are clipless on one side and flat on the other – perfect for when I have my flipflops. And I got mtb clipless shoes to be able to try for first time. $36
-New inner tubes - $8
-Funny kickstand $9
-Vinyl Decal Stickers - $20

Old stuff - I left the rear and front derailleur because they were in really nice condition. Also the crankarms are pretty good so didn’t change them.

At the end I am pretty satisfied with the result. This is a quality bike which costed $2000 + according to bicycleblue book. So at the end this is sub $500 bike that rides really well and stops great. I am not a serious rider, maybe some forest trails maximum. In Chicago there aren’t many downhills as far as I know.

New future upgrade is probably seatpost dropper

Old look

old look

New look

Some GP grips

203mm rotor

Brain Shock

Kick stand - i dont like scratches

Last edited by gag4o; 11-30-19 at 07:14 PM.
Old 11-30-19, 07:18 PM
gag4o

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Fogot to mention the name i gave it - Evil Monkey from Family guy
Likes For gag4o:
Old 11-30-19, 10:34 PM
CodyDog

Bikes: Specialized Vado SL/Trek Fuel EXe

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Liked 38 Times in 29 Posts
Nicely done!
Old 12-10-19, 04:36 PM
freeranger

Bikes: 06 Lemond Reno, 98 GT Timberline mtn.bike

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 421 Post(s)
Liked 690 Times in 430 Posts
I like it! But a kickstand on a trail bike?
Likes For freeranger:
Old 12-10-19, 05:27 PM
gag4o

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Thanks. I believe any bicycle that is not specifically for racing should have a kickstand. I will not leave it leaning on the wall or laying on the ground
Old 12-12-19, 03:45 PM
qclabrat

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 257 Post(s)
Liked 70 Times in 63 Posts
clean work, did you have to pry the cable guides wider to accommodate the hydro brake housing?