Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Everybody Complains About the Weather...

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-20, 03:00 PM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4559 Post(s)
Liked 2,802 Times in 1,800 Posts
Originally Posted by MoAlpha
Windy is about the best "free" app out there. I use on it, together with real-time data, and, of course, human expert interpretation, for offshore sailing and donate to the developers. It has a choice of models, including the ECMWF (European), which is the most accurate and is rarely available for free. It also allows you to look at all of its models in parallel to form your own consensus. It also gives you the geopotential height chart for a range of pressure surfaces, which is the most informative forecasting tool in the shed and not available in anything else below the professional level as far I know. The slider interface for all the maps is also really helpful. Add to that features like CAPE, sea temps, and wind speeds in knots (!) and you've got yourself a powerful and reliable tool for staying out of trouble.

I also pay for the ad-free version of Wunderground because, of the apps I've looked at or tried, I have found its model to be most accurate for local conditions It's a hybrid of ECMWF and other models. Most apps and the National Weather Service local forecasts rely on the GFS and NAM models, which have low resolution and simply aren't as accurate. If you look, for instance, at Dark Sky's US forecasting source, it's GFS.
I'll check those out. I usually go with the defaults for Windy. A friend who's into meteorology also recommends the paid version of WU for the same reasons.
Old 01-06-20, 03:07 PM
amcic1994

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Originally Posted by atwl77
Yes, I agree the update has made WU terrible. I like Darksky but it isn't available in the Play store for my region. I also use the MSN Weather app but not for the forecasts, the chance of precipitation seems way inflated, but they have a nice precipitation map view which predicts regional rain for the next 12 hours so I can watch the moving blobs of colour and make my own informed decision.
Even if you don't use or care about the Weather Undergound app, you may enjoy a chilling reminder to not fix what ain't broke. It's also fascinating how badly a large company can screw up an acquisition. My only guess is that IBM bought it to kill it; but instead of just shutting it down, wanted to make users abandon it instead.
Likes For amcic1994:
Old 01-09-20, 11:48 AM
autonomy

Bikes: 2012 Canondale Synapse 105, 2017 REI Co-Op ADV 3.1

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 507 Post(s)
Liked 237 Times in 133 Posts
Originally Posted by Marcus_Ti
Well.... The Weather Company AKA The Weather Channel bought them out in 2012....the app went downhill shortly after 2012 when TWC bought them out. In 2015 IBM bought The Weather Company, but not The Weather Channel.
No app, just a website: https://darksky.net/
This. WU was fantastic until TWC bought it and stopped maintaining it. Things slowly stopped working, even the desktop site was broken or super slow some times. Shame, because their precipitation and wind graphs were excellent. It seems to be coming back with IBM's acquisition but still broken, slow, and - too late.

These days I use the built-in Android weather widget app, the one with the Frog. Use the Google search box on your phone to search for "weather," then click on the 3 vertical dots in the right hand corner and "add to homescreen". It's fast and has hourly forecasts for temp, precipitation, and wind for today and tomorrow (10-day forecast as well with hourly temps). Plus sunrise/sunset info. It's been pretty accurate for me to answer questions like "When is it going to rain" or "What should I dress for if I'm heading out at 7am tomorrow". And my daughter loves the different drawings of the frog.

https://www.androidauthority.com/goo...er-app-965754/

For rain, I also look at the radar or DarkSky, the mobile website version
https://thedroidguy.com/revamped-goo...or-all-1054740
Old 01-10-20, 11:05 AM
Smitty2k1

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 16 Posts
BobbyG thanks for sharing. I was using Weather Timeline for a while with success until I got a new phone. Using AccuWeather since then - didn't care for it.

After 5 minutes of installing 14 day weather and setting it up to my liking I already am enjoying it. The free version has adds but I'll probably pay a couple bucks for the add free version if I'm still enjoying it.

There are a few quirks - my location shows up in Spanish even though I have language set to English and everything else in UI shows up in English!

Quick to load radar too, which I use a lot as I'm a bike commuter.
Likes For Smitty2k1:
Old 01-12-20, 01:55 PM
308jerry

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 186 Post(s)
Liked 129 Times in 88 Posts
Been using Meteored for a week or so. WU is now uninstalled....
Likes For 308jerry:
Old 01-12-20, 08:04 PM
Steamer
Zircon Encrusted Tweezers

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 260 Post(s)
Liked 130 Times in 83 Posts
I avoid their app and instead just go to the full WU site through Google Chrome on my android phone. I just have a link to the specific WU page I want on my homescreen. Easy.
Old 01-12-20, 10:01 PM
Jim from Boston

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 800 Post(s)
Liked 218 Times in 171 Posts
Originally Posted by wolfchild
Why would anybody pay for weather apps when you can get free local weather report through google or a local news station ??
Originally Posted by Jim from Boston
As a cycle commuter with convenient Commuter Rail alternative, I check Weather.com forecasts starting five days prior. On the day of a ride, if it looks questionable I check current Doppler to decide, and depending on the conditions if I ride in the rain I use my beater road bike.

For a recreational ride or extended training ride, I probably won’t go.My preference for "dry" roads extends to those I consider "damp," with no puddles and no active rain.
IMO Doppler is the most beneficial for making more immediate go-no-go decisions. The Weather.com Doppler also projects images at about hourly intervals for about five hours into the future, and can show upcoming windows of opportunity. It covers a swath wide enough for a one day ride, but at a scale convenient for my 14 mile commute.

Predictions themselves of up to five days seem most accurate for good weather, and bad weather predictions at least set me up to anticipate. Immediate and hourly upcoming temperatures and conditions for the next 24 hours are displayed and are pretty accurate.
Originally Posted by Jim from Boston
The Doppler looked threatening, and sky was cloudy at 6 AM in Kenmore Square, so I took the beater bike and brought my rain gear to work, but got no rain. In any case I have the rain bike to take home to keep the road bike clean if it still rains later.

Just this year [2009] inspired by BF I have accepted riding in the rain. I used to consider it a game: if I rode and it rained, or I didn't ride and it didn't rain, I lost; if I rode with no rain or didn't ride and it rained, I won. Now I win or lose depending if I ride with the appropriate bike: beater in the rain, road bike when dry.

Last edited by Jim from Boston; 01-13-20 at 06:32 AM.
Old 01-12-20, 11:20 PM
Darth Lefty 
Disco Infiltrator

Bikes: Stormchaser, Paramount, Tilt, Samba tandem

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Quoted: 3126 Post(s)
Liked 2,105 Times in 1,369 Posts
"Everybody Complains About The Weather" is the subtitle of the How Was Your Commute Today thread

Thank you for the Twain reference too.
Genesis 49:16-17
Likes For Darth Lefty:
Old 01-13-20, 07:35 AM
BobbyG

Bikes: 2015 Charge Plug, 2007 Dahon Boardwalk, 1997 Nishiki Blazer, 1984 Nishiki International, 2006 Felt F65, 1989 Dahon Getaway V

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 1364 Post(s)
Liked 1,677 Times in 827 Posts
Originally Posted by Steamer
I avoid their app and instead just go to the full WU site through Google Chrome on my android phone. I just have a link to the specific WU page I want on my homescreen. Easy.
The full WU site is still great and I use it on my laptop and desktop computers.