Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Cycling the Florida Keys

Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Cycling the Florida Keys

Old 01-18-20, 06:55 PM
one4smoke

Bikes: 2020 Specialized Roubaix Comp SC - 2016 Specialized Roubaix SL4 - 2015 Giant Roam 2 Disc

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 639 Post(s)
Liked 338 Times in 224 Posts
Cycling the Florida Keys

Gonna try to check this off the ol' bucket list in March, and ride from Key Largo to Key West and back. All those that's done the ride, feel free to share your experiences and give any insight and advice...
Likes For one4smoke:
Old 01-18-20, 09:25 PM
Rajflyboy
Banned.

Bikes: Orbea

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 917 Post(s)
Liked 205 Times in 170 Posts
This will peak your interest and knowledge

Old 01-18-20, 10:35 PM
texbiker

Bikes: Cervelo Caledonia Rival AXS eTap, Blue Norcross AL, Lynskey Helix

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 112 Post(s)
Liked 103 Times in 81 Posts
This might be interesting.
https://www.endscycling.com/keywest5day
Old 01-19-20, 01:27 PM
Rajflyboy
Banned.

Bridge looks pretty dicey (especially if you have a flat or mechanical)

but the ride is very very intriguing
Old 01-19-20, 03:31 PM
tim24k

Bikes: To many to list. I like them all!

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 60 Post(s)
Liked 43 Times in 32 Posts
I’ve ridden the ride four times only on a motorcycle because there are many bridges that are not bicycle friendly. To dangerous for me as most have no shoulder at all.
Old 01-19-20, 06:26 PM
downtube42

Bikes: Trek Domane SL6 Gen 3, Soma Fog Cutter, Focus Mares AL, Detroit Bikes Sparrow FG, Volae Team, Nimbus MUni

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 892 Post(s)
Liked 2,050 Times in 1,072 Posts
In 2016 I did Florida City to Key West, then back. We had a huge tailwind outbound. There are some places where traffic is very close, some segments with separate side paths, and a fair amount of decent shoulder. The seven Mile bridge was fine when we flew over it outbound, but miseable on the return. Slow, debris covered shoulder, close traffic. Recommendations? Do it, stop for the sights, eat at the small restaurants.
Old 01-19-20, 08:08 PM
Rajflyboy
Banned.

Originally Posted by downtube42
In 2016 I did Florida City to Key West, then back. We had a huge tailwind outbound. There are some places where traffic is very close, some segments with separate side paths, and a fair amount of decent shoulder. The seven Mile bridge was fine when we flew over it outbound, but miseable on the return. Slow, debris covered shoulder, close traffic. Recommendations? Do it, stop for the sights, eat at the small restaurants.
thanks for your thoughts

Bridge scares me and I enjoy hearing how others have gone over it with success.
Old 01-19-20, 11:08 PM
venturi95
Firm but gentle

Bikes: 2005 Litespeed Tuscany, Soma Pescadero, Pure Cycles disc road, Jamis hybrid

Quoted: 159 Post(s)
Liked 104 Times in 60 Posts
Bad Idea

You couldn’t pay me to ride this.
Old 01-23-20, 07:26 PM
Bassmanbob

Bikes: 2014 Cannondale Supersix EVO 3, 2015 Trek 520, 2017 Bike Friday Pocket Rocket, 2022 Moots Vamoots Disc RSL

Quoted: 285 Post(s)
Liked 267 Times in 140 Posts
I did it in February 2018 with four other guys. I planned it out well in advance as a century ride from Key Largo to Key West on a Saturday. There were two places that were less than ideal: the Seven Mile Bridge and Marathon Key. The Seven Mile Bridge is just that-- seven miles of the road, your bike lane shoulder and then the water below. It was a bit butt clenching, but it was done in a little under a half hour. Yes. Trucks and cars will go by you fairly fast. The speed limit bounces back and forth between 45 and 55 mph. The other area that was less than ideal was Marathon Key. There was a lot of road construction in Marathon Key, and the traffic is pretty dense with little to no bike lane. We cycled the sidewalks in Marathon, which slowed us down considerably for that section. There were sidewalk lips to the roads, but there was a lot of road construction too. I'm sure that's finished, but you probably will need to ride the sidewalks in Marathon.

There are some MUPs you can use to avoid riding on the road. I suggest looking up these alternative paths. Two of our guys started riding faster and went over a bridge that the rest of us avoided by riding the MUP. We had to deal with some fishermen, but it was no big deal for the mile or two it was.

Overall, it was a real fun day, and we are considering repeating it in February or March this year. I probably would not do it any later than April The heat will be too brutal. We had a sixth guy driving the van that picked us up and drove us to dinner back in Key Largo. I drove the rest of the 3 hours home that night. We left our LBS in Port St. Lucie at 4 AM and got back at about 1 AM Sunday morning. We were bushed, but it was fun.
Old 01-24-20, 08:16 PM
one4smoke

Bikes: 2020 Specialized Roubaix Comp SC - 2016 Specialized Roubaix SL4 - 2015 Giant Roam 2 Disc

Originally Posted by Bassmanbob
I did it in February 2018 with four other guys. I planned it out well in advance as a century ride from Key Largo to Key West on a Saturday. There were two places that were less than ideal: the Seven Mile Bridge and Marathon Key. The Seven Mile Bridge is just that-- seven miles of the road, your bike lane shoulder and then the water below. It was a bit butt clenching, but it was done in a little under a half hour. Yes. Trucks and cars will go by you fairly fast. The speed limit bounces back and forth between 45 and 55 mph. The other area that was less than ideal was Marathon Key. There was a lot of road construction in Marathon Key, and the traffic is pretty dense with little to no bike lane. We cycled the sidewalks in Marathon, which slowed us down considerably for that section. There were sidewalk lips to the roads, but there was a lot of road construction too. I'm sure that's finished, but you probably will need to ride the sidewalks in Marathon.

There are some MUPs you can use to avoid riding on the road. I suggest looking up these alternative paths. Two of our guys started riding faster and went over a bridge that the rest of us avoided by riding the MUP. We had to deal with some fishermen, but it was no big deal for the mile or two it was.

Overall, it was a real fun day, and we are considering repeating it in February or March this year. I probably would not do it any later than April The heat will be too brutal. We had a sixth guy driving the van that picked us up and drove us to dinner back in Key Largo. I drove the rest of the 3 hours home that night. We left our LBS in Port St. Lucie at 4 AM and got back at about 1 AM Sunday morning. We were bushed, but it was fun.
Thanks for the insight!
Old 01-24-20, 08:17 PM
one4smoke

Originally Posted by venturi95
You couldn’t pay me to ride this.
Why not?
Old 01-24-20, 11:45 PM
venturi95
Firm but gentle

Bikes: 2005 Litespeed Tuscany, Soma Pescadero, Pure Cycles disc road, Jamis hybrid

Quoted: 159 Post(s)
Liked 104 Times in 60 Posts
Originally Posted by one4smoke
Why not?
Too much traffic on too narrow of roads, but it does have a lot of appeal otherwise.
Old 01-27-20, 05:27 PM
mdadams1

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 66 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 4 Posts
Flatted on the 7 mile bridge..A little scary but it was a great ride. The debris accumulates on the bridges because it comes off vehicles and does not go off the side of the road and into the ocean or grass.. So it collects on the shoulders of bridges. It was a great ride for me and my wife. We went with the Everglades Bicycle Club.

Mike Adams
Old 01-27-20, 06:30 PM
Rajflyboy
Banned.

Originally Posted by mdadams1
Flatted on the 7 mile bridge..A little scary but it was a great ride. The debris accumulates on the bridges because it comes off vehicles and does not go off the side of the road and into the ocean or grass.. So it collects on the shoulders of bridges. It was a great ride for me and my wife. We went with the Everglades Bicycle Club.

Mike Adams
big group ride would definitely be the way to do this ride 👍