Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Cyclocross and Gravelbiking (Recreational)
Reload this Page >

Winter Gloves for Gravel Cycling

Notices
Cyclocross and Gravelbiking (Recreational) This has to be the most physically intense sport ever invented. It's high speed bicycle racing on a short off road course or riding the off pavement rides on gravel like : "Unbound Gravel". We also have a dedicated Racing forum for the Cyclocross Hard Core Racers.

Old 11-15-19, 07:19 PM
dwmckee

Bikes: Co-Motion Cappuccino Tandem,'88 Bob Jackson Touring, Co-Motion Cascadia Touring, Open U.P., Ritchie Titanium Breakaway, Frances Cycles SmallHaul cargo bike. Those are the permanent ones; others wander in and out of the stable occasionally as well.

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 427 Post(s)
Liked 339 Times in 229 Posts

So, this is the first winter my wife and I plan to ride through with a weekly gravel ride. As long as there is no ice on the road, we plan to get out for a 30 - 40 mile ride. We live in Western PA and probably will not ride if it is below 20 degrees. Does anyone have a pair of gloves to recommend? We rode a week ago with some new Pearl Izumi gloves that were totally inadequate fro 30 degrees. We are not interested in the bar mits type solutions that stay on and cover the handlebars, though I know wome folks swear by them. We are just looking for something warm with good dexterity and that staus on your hands when you get off of the bike. Preferably under $60 a pair...
Old 11-15-19, 07:44 PM
ingo

Bikes: Cervelo S3, Ridley Helium, Cannondale Topstone Carbon, Giant Trance

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked 51 Times in 24 Posts
https://www.amazon.com/HEAD-Multi-Sp.../dp/B00O4HCQ34

Costco had them for $20. Good at 0*C for me and work on the touchscreen Garmin too. Buy them big.
Old 11-15-19, 08:15 PM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10897 Post(s)
Liked 7,384 Times in 4,144 Posts
I use LG Super Prestige 2 gloves when its 35-50 degrees.
There is a hidden fabric to make them lobster style for a bit more warmth and coverage.
I like the dexterity and warmth combo.

If I owned a store I would try em all.
Likes For mstateglfr:
Old 11-15-19, 08:17 PM
wheelsmcgee

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 101 Post(s)
Liked 41 Times in 33 Posts
I have tried a few different winter cycling-specific gloves and haven’t been impressed, particularly with wind protection. This year I’m trying snowmobile gloves: Kinco 901s. They are leather and seem pretty warm, haven’t had a chance to ride with them yet but they are definitely a notch above anything I’ve found in a bike store.
Old 11-15-19, 09:17 PM
dwmckee

Bikes: Co-Motion Cappuccino Tandem,'88 Bob Jackson Touring, Co-Motion Cascadia Touring, Open U.P., Ritchie Titanium Breakaway, Frances Cycles SmallHaul cargo bike. Those are the permanent ones; others wander in and out of the stable occasionally as well.

Originally Posted by ingo

Costco had them for $20. Good at 0*C for me and work on the touchscreen Garmin too. Buy them big.
Gosh those look pretty thin, do they work well while holding on to a metal handlebar and in the wind? That combinatio seemed to make the Pearl Izumis I was wearing fail miserably...
Old 11-15-19, 09:32 PM
ingo

Bikes: Cervelo S3, Ridley Helium, Cannondale Topstone Carbon, Giant Trance

Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked 51 Times in 24 Posts
Originally Posted by dwmckee
Gosh those look pretty thin, do they work well while holding on to a metal handlebar and in the wind? That combination seemed to make the Pearl Izumis I was wearing fail miserably...
They're windproof and I have bar tape. Everyone is different for tolerance to cold hands. For instance I start wearing leg warmers at 12* and booties at 6* C. Others in my club will go with shorts down to 5*C and never wear full finger gloves.
Old 11-16-19, 12:55 PM
blazin
Blazer of saddles, trails

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 115 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 25 Posts
Pricy, but works:

https://www.dissent133.com/collections/all-products
Old 11-16-19, 04:51 PM
dwmckee

Originally Posted by blazin
Lok interesting but yes, very pricey. Do you use them? Expensive is not always better though... If they are good, maybe wortj it...
Old 11-16-19, 06:29 PM
blazin
Blazer of saddles, trails

Quoted: 115 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 25 Posts
Originally Posted by dwmckee
Lok interesting but yes, very pricey. Do you use them? Expensive is not always better though... If they are good, maybe wortj it...
I should have been more specific. I have not used them, but several buddies swear by them. Including ones that ride in much colder climes than me. So I have a set winging their way to me now.

what I think makes the cost worth it is that you’re getting a glove system that will work from 50+ all the way down below freezing. It’s multiple gloves, for multiple conditions, in one. I’ll report back when I have some ride time in mine.
Old 11-16-19, 06:35 PM
Marcus_Ti
FLIR Kitten to 0.05C

Bikes: Roadie: Seven Axiom Race Ti w/Chorus 11s. CX/Adventure: Carver Gravel Grinder w/ Di2

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 2349 Post(s)
Liked 406 Times in 254 Posts
These are the first pair of fingered gloves I've found that work for my boney hands down to 20F on their own without an overglove:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07DVWF8X4/

I was very skeptical at first. First time I needed them for an inner-glove on a 25F bike commute I put lobster-claws over them and my hands were swimming. Now I use them solo from 20-40F. Very warm when windy and dry, haven't tried them in wet yet. Just took delivery 2 weeks back.
Old 11-16-19, 07:03 PM
Metieval

Bikes: Road bike, Hybrid, Gravel, Drop bar SS, hard tail MTB

Quoted: 1218 Post(s)
Liked 298 Times in 214 Posts
I am not saying I want to try it.....
but how many of us are old enough to remember the bread sacks on our feet playing in the snow.

What would a pair of latex gloves do under neath another thin glove?
Likes For Metieval:
Old 11-16-19, 07:34 PM
Ghazmh

Bikes: 2022 Salsa Beargrease, 2020 Seven Evergreen, 2019 Honey Allroads Ti, 2018 Seven Redsky XX, 2017 Trek Boon 7, 2014 Trek 520

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 693 Post(s)
Liked 903 Times in 486 Posts
I can ride fairly comfortably down to 28*F with 45NRTH Sturmfist gloves.
Old 11-16-19, 08:12 PM
veloz

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked 64 Times in 48 Posts
Planet Bike’s Borealis gloves are semi lobster claw mitts with removable liners. You can wear the fleece liner gloves alone. You can wear the outer mitts alone. Or you can wear together for maximum warmth. Separate liners & outer mitts help to dry quickly when damp. You can also use your own standard fingerless gloves under the outer mitts. They only thing warmer is bar mitts - which are great by the way.
Old 11-16-19, 08:27 PM
dwmckee

Originally Posted by Ghazmh
I can ride fairly comfortably down to 28*F with 45NRTH Sturmfist gloves.
I have had my eye on these, but they are $85. I am going to have to check out some of the suggestions here...
Old 11-16-19, 08:31 PM
dwmckee

Originally Posted by Marcus_Ti
These are the first pair of fingered gloves I've found that work for my boney hands down to 20F on their own without an overglove:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07DVWF8X4/

I was very skeptical at first. First time I needed them for an inner-glove on a 25F bike commute I put lobster-claws over them and my hands were swimming. Now I use them solo from 20-40F. Very warm when windy and dry, haven't tried them in wet yet. Just took delivery 2 weeks back.

Huh... Man I was excited to check this out but when I clicked on it I saw this is what I was wearing last week and for me at 28 degrees they werew a total fail... I am beginning to realize that what work for some may not work for others in a similar circumstance...
Old 11-16-19, 08:52 PM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5218 Post(s)
Liked 3,564 Times in 2,331 Posts
for a cpl hrs out with 29 degrees, wind & sun I used my fingered, PI winter cycling gloves with the bar mitts. I brought lighter gloves but stuck with these for the whole ride. these gloves are good cuz even with a little hand moisture I can still slip my hands in & out. the problem with so many cheap winter gloves is, once your hands are wet you can't get them back in. hands can be wet from sweat, but also from rain when you take them out for whatever reason

however I wouldn't want these gloves on if I was hand sweating a lot cuz it does make it harder to slip them on & off, also they take a long time to dry at home

Pearl Izumi - Ride Men's Elite Softshell Glove

I also have their lobster gloves

Pearl Izumi - Ride Pro AMFIB Lobster Gloves

Last edited by rumrunn6; 11-20-19 at 05:04 AM.
Old 11-16-19, 11:38 PM
Metieval

Gloves are weird. I have found them to have a much smaller temp window than other gear.

which is probably why I have half a dozen pair of gloves.
Likes For Metieval:
Old 11-17-19, 05:11 AM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Originally Posted by Metieval
Gloves are weird. I have found them to have a much smaller temp window than other gear.which is probably why I have half a dozen pair of gloves.
I think I might agree. this time of year I often make a choice but bring a change with me, just in case. I frequently change them up, either right away or midway in my ride as I warm up, or conditions change, or depending on how long I'm out
Likes For rumrunn6:
Old 11-17-19, 02:35 PM
Metieval

Originally Posted by rumrunn6
I think I might agree. this time of year I often make a choice but bring a change with me, just in case. I frequently change them up, either right away or midway in my ride as I warm up, or conditions change, or depending on how long I'm out
well Unless I am using my bar mitts. then It gives me a much larger range. but if it gets close to 50 my hands melt!
Old 11-17-19, 06:24 PM
rumrunn6

Originally Posted by Metieval
well Unless I am using my bar mitts. then It gives me a much larger range. but if it gets close to 50 my hands melt!
oh yeah I recently re-read old posts of mine, where 40 and rain, then yes use the mitts, but 40 and sunny, no way gloves are just fine. was out the other day it was 29 and sunny. gloves and mitts were good together
Old 11-17-19, 07:08 PM
DrIsotope
Non omnino gravis

Bikes: Nekobasu, Pandicorn, Lakitu

Mentioned: 119 Post(s)
Quoted: 4905 Post(s)
Liked 1,731 Times in 958 Posts
I've had good luck with Seirus Innovations down into the 30s. Inexpensive enough to take a risk on them, at any rate.
Old 11-18-19, 03:51 AM
Hmmm

Bikes: TCX & CAAD3 SAECO

Quoted: 147 Post(s)
Liked 118 Times in 66 Posts
Originally Posted by ingo

Hey! I bought these too. They are great, minimal, and warm. Went out at 40 F and had to take them off they were too warm. Perfect for 30's though.
Old 11-18-19, 04:06 AM
lewisb123

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I use 100% Brisk Gloves...perfect for gravel riding
Old 11-18-19, 09:04 AM
richard.susanto

Bikes: Canyon Grail CF SL Disc 8.0, Canyon Endurace CF SLX Disc 8.0 ETAP

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked 18 Times in 8 Posts
Thought about getting the Specialized Element 3.0 Lobster Claw Gloves. It's on sale for $44.99 at Erik's. Anyone can provide feedback?

https://www.eriksbikeshop.com/specia...3e2327/product
Old 11-18-19, 05:14 PM
Chi_Z

Bikes: Niner RLT 9 RDO

Quoted: 263 Post(s)
Liked 69 Times in 50 Posts
the key is to layer gloves, 2 thin gloves is better than 1 thick one. Also if the glove is too warm or does not breath, you will soak the inside with sweat, then after about 30 minutes your hand will be freezing
Likes For Chi_Z:

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.