Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Mountain Biking
Reload this Page >

Feathering?

Search
Notices
Mountain Biking Mountain biking is one of the fastest growing sports in the world. Check out this forum to discuss the latest tips, tricks, gear and equipment in the world of mountain biking.

Feathering?

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-04, 10:11 AM
mishter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Feathering?

Just found out about this, i was gunna put it in the braking technique thread but i think it deserves its own thread.

if you dont know, featherting is wen you slam your brakes on front and back for a short period of time wait a second or two, and repeat. I have v-brakes. does this work well? mainly im concerned about dh sections, like very steep down hill. can you stop quickly from fast speeds?
Old 06-06-04, 10:17 AM
Maelstrom 
Wood Licker

Bikes: Trek Fuel EX 8 27.5 +, 2002 Transition Dirtbag, Kona Roast 2002

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Its like manual ABS. Works really well. But then again I don't slam my brakes ever. I modulate them sometimes alternating front and back. Slamming brakes is a sure fire way to get injured on technical stuff.

Stopping quickly...ehhhh yes sort of. Depends on the situation. But to be honest trying to BRAKE on actual dh sections will usually mean a wipe out. Leave the braking for before and after. If you are really sketched or in the midst of wiping out drop or side slide the bike. Its gonna hurt, but not as much as if you touch the front brake and endo landing on your head.
Old 06-06-04, 01:00 PM
dirtbikedude
Gravity Is Yer Friend

Bikes: Scott Gambler, Scott Ransom, Kona Bear, Bianchi 928 Carbon/Chorus, C'Dale Rize4

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Actually feathering is as you descibed with an exception, you do not slam on the brakes. Just as the name implies, feather it. If you slam on the brakes be sure I am there to get pics

As for how fast you can stop, that will depend on a few things. How fast are you going? What are the conditions/terrain? Type of tires? What brakes? And a few others but you get the idea.

Old 06-06-04, 01:06 PM
Anydayrock.com
no skills...

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Exactly, I always feather my front and back breaks to avoid locking up. As long as you keep you weight back and dock push the front brake to hard you can usually brake alot faster using a combo of both brakes. Even downhill, just remember to keep your weight back if you pull that front brake, and dont pull it to hard... my 2 cents
Old 06-06-04, 01:18 PM
Maelstrom 
Wood Licker

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
On near vertical things never brake. Period. No matter what...or at least have a camera near by.
Old 06-08-04, 04:32 PM
mishter

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
i meant b4 and after, i normally never break on downhil.
so is it ur guys preffered style of breaking? jw
Old 06-08-04, 08:56 PM
Maelstrom 
Wood Licker

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Feathering...hmmm no I prefer modulating both equally. At times (very rarely) I shift back and forth...but usually just all, nothing or modulating the front.,