Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Riding Vermont Six Gaps Tomorrow

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-23, 08:42 PM
dr_max

Bikes: BMC SLC01 Promachine with full DA grupo on Ksyrium ES/ BMC Roadmachine 01 One disc Ultegra with DT Swiss

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 154 Post(s)
Liked 59 Times in 37 Posts

Feeling excited like the day before my first Ironman in Tremblant in 2013. The last time U have done the Vermont six gaps was in 2018. I rode solo on the 4th of July during a heat wave. Tomorrow will be 10 degrees cooler and riding with a friend. It’s gonna be a piece of cake. I hope!

160 miles
14,000 ft vertical climb
25% average 2 miles Lincoln gap

Feeling the excitement of my first big races!
​​​​​​​
Likes For dr_max:
Old 09-03-23, 09:37 PM
Johnny Rad

Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 9 Posts
https://northeastcycling.com/six-gaps/

No joke, that’s some steep stuff!

We demand a post-ride report.
Old 09-04-23, 03:58 AM
dr_max

Bikes: BMC SLC01 Promachine with full DA grupo on Ksyrium ES/ BMC Roadmachine 01 One disc Ultegra with DT Swiss

Quoted: 154 Post(s)
Liked 59 Times in 37 Posts
We parked in randolph
started with Rochester gal super nice club steady bit too steep, descent was dangerous a lot of cracks
then Branden gap the easiest climb no traffic
middle burry gap a nice steady long climb following a river. Brand new tarmac, a bit more traffic but people were respectful. At the top is a college sport center the snow bowl and then you start the most fun descent before arriving at the Lincoln gap. Hell on earth 25% steep gradient. My friend exploded and had to stop at the top 20 minutes because his pulse was in the 190s. He lost so much water by sweating then he was riding super slow in the gravel descent he was shaking
theb the longest climb the Appalachian gap where there was a race in the morning 15 in coin with steel section at the end where my legs abandoned me in the 19% grade at the last 500m
the the most exciting descent of the ride before surviving the last Roxbury gap a nice 6km climb before the last 25km flat with a tail wind to Randolph
had to wait for my friend because he had no more legs and we arrived in the dark but at least there wa snow cars on that road

the most gruelling ride ever
Likes For dr_max:
Old 09-04-23, 03:14 PM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18443 Post(s)
Liked 15,655 Times in 7,364 Posts
Do D2R2 next August. Routes of up to either 180 or 200K. I forget which. Mostly dirt roads and old stone carriage paths. The year I did the 100K route there was around 8,000’ of climbing.

Great event. You can camp before and after the start. The food is terrific and ample. You even get a free beer at the end. Ride supports land preservation in Franklin County, MA.

I did Brandon W-E fully loaded. Not extreme , except at the very top. I was riding across the country. That top section was the only time during the entire trip I almost walked. Did Rochester and Middlebury E-W unloaded back-to-back during a supported trip. The former was hell. The latter was hell near the top. The descent towards town was being resurfaced. We rode through wet limestone. It dried during the descent. Our bikes looked like they had been sprayed with whipped cream that had hardened. When we got home we found crystals inside our tires. Think the water had gotten in through the valve holes.
Old 09-04-23, 11:08 PM
john m flores 
Rider. Wanderer. Creator.

Bikes: Bike Friday Pocket Rocket, Cinelli Hobootleg, Zizzo Liberte

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 401 Post(s)
Liked 800 Times in 382 Posts
I've ridden most of those gaps on a motorcycle, then did App Gap W-E on a Cinelli touring bike with two panniers. That last pitch is killer!

Can't imagine all 6 in one day. Congrats!
Old 09-05-23, 03:10 AM
waters60

Quoted: 203 Post(s)
Liked 108 Times in 63 Posts
Lincoln Gap E-W is a beast! I did the first four gaps years ago which led me to Garrett County Gran Fondo Diabolical Double, 125 miles, 16,500’.
Old 09-05-23, 05:51 AM
bruce19

Bikes: CAAD 12, MASI Gran Criterium S, Colnago World Cup CX & Guru steel

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1751 Post(s)
Liked 1,282 Times in 741 Posts
Ive never cycled this but I've spent alot of time there on my Ducati. I love the area.
Likes For bruce19: