Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

What doesn't kill me makes me stronger – Really?

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-12, 03:32 PM
Carbon Unit
Live to ride ride to live

Bikes: Calfee Tetra Pro

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

What kills me is not climbing but long sustained climbs that don’t seem to end. I belong to a bike club that organizes rides. We have about 50 Saturday rides that consist of a short, medium and long ride.

I did the medium ride today and it is one of the most grueling climbs of the 50. It is about 5 miles of constant climbing ranging from probably 8 to 18 degree, then about a 1 mile of flat and another 3 miles of 6 to 12 degree climbing.

I tried this ride a little over a year ago and had to turn around half way through the ride. Today at least I completed the ride but stopped three times for my heart rate to come back down. I actually had to get off the bike and sit on curb because I was getting dizzy. This is the first time I ever had to do this.

In the past three years I have had two surgeries to repair my diaphragm and move my stomach out of my chest where it collapsed my left lung and cut off oxygen to the left side of my heart. I am fixed now but improving my fitness for these long climbs is damn hard.

I may not have helped that it was 94 degrees with 45% humidity and I probably didn’t bring enough water but I don’t think that is what kicked my butt.

My goal is to do this ride without stopping and if possible reduce the level of suffering but I need some sort of plan to do it. My concern is that I might be damaged goods and not capable of doing this ride but I don’t want to give up.

Any suggestions?
Old 08-11-12, 03:41 PM
ahsposo 
Artificial Member

Bikes: Retrospec Judd, Dahon Boardwalk, Specialized Langster

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 6766 Post(s)
Liked 5,478 Times in 3,223 Posts
Well, you've made some improvement. It can take a long time.

But yes, survival of extreme stress does make you stronger - or at least aware of what it takes to overcome that stress.

Maybe a change of diet: https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread...1#post14592421
Old 08-11-12, 03:56 PM
colombo357

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 120 Post(s)
Liked 30 Times in 12 Posts
Get a heart rate monitor and don't overexert yourself. Also consider changing your cassette and your crank spider to run compact gearing if you don't have it already.
Old 08-11-12, 03:58 PM
cocar

Bikes: Treck lexa SC

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I don't know what to tell you as far as trying to fix the problem, but I'm with you. I had the same kind of a thing happen to me last weekend. There is a longish steep bridge (one of several) at the end of a longer ride that I usually can get over with no trouble. It was 95 and 75% humid, and I had to stop near the top because my heart rate was WAY too high, and I was getting dizzy. I drank plenty and wasn't dehydrated.

Now, in the last 3 years, I've had open heart surgery (replaced mitral valve), open brain surgery, and a major stroke. Generally, I don't have any trouble, but on that day, in those conditions, for whatever reason I did. I don't like to accept that I have limitations, but sometimes I do and there isn't any way around it. Really pushing myself in extreme heat/humidity is probably stupid...my heart isn't normal. Won't ever be normal. Which isn't to say I'm giving up at all. Just that you may want to think hard about what the risk/benefit is when it's really hot.

Maybe try it again when it's cooler and see what happens?

For me, the hottest day of the year isn't the best day to do the longest/hardest ride. It won't benefit me at all to pass out/have heat exhaustion.
Old 08-11-12, 04:09 PM
Mansram01

Bikes: '17 Trek Emonda, '16 Yeti ASR5, '14 Cdale F29 '08 Orbea Orca.

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Do you just wait for the club rides or are you at least trying to do these climbs on your own? Only asking because it seems like you've only done this climb twice. You can't expect to improve until you continually climb even if it's at a slow pace. It's taken me a while but my improvements have been significant by riding these difficult rides over and over.

As for your condition, I hope you've had that cleared with a doctor beforehand. Wish you the best on your climbs!
Old 08-11-12, 04:26 PM
mkadam68

Bikes: 2012 MotorHouse road bike. No. You can't get one.

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 6 Posts
Ride slower in an easier gear.
Old 08-11-12, 04:28 PM
RIRview

Bikes: Trek Domane 6.2 Project One

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by cocar
For me, the hottest day of the year isn't the best day to do the longest/hardest ride.
When the weather is that oppressive, I hit the road as soon as the sky gets light (around 6:00 am), and I'm back home by 10:00. No need to roast alive............
Old 08-11-12, 04:38 PM
hhnngg1

Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
You'll get there. Keep working at it. Try riding slower and easier on the climb rather than trying to burn it out hard - that's the key to success - you can gradually ratchet up the pace as you get stronger, but first you have to be confident that you can make it up.
Old 08-11-12, 04:42 PM
Carbon Unit

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by colombo357
Get a heart rate monitor and don't overexert yourself. Also consider changing your cassette and your crank spider to run compact gearing if you don't have it already.
Yes, I have one and paid close attention to it. I have a triple with a 53/42/30 and a 13-26 cassette. I typically only use the small chain ring about once a year and for maybe ten minutes but today I used it for probably close to an hour.
Old 08-11-12, 04:43 PM
Carbon Unit

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by mkadam68
Ride slower in an easier gear.
Yes, I was moving slow in the easiest gear I have today. I don't get a burn in my legs, what happens is that my heart rate increased until I have to stop.
Old 08-11-12, 04:46 PM
Carbon Unit

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Mansram01
Do you just wait for the club rides or are you at least trying to do these climbs on your own? Only asking because it seems like you've only done this climb twice. You can't expect to improve until you continually climb even if it's at a slow pace. It's taken me a while but my improvements have been significant by riding these difficult rides over and over.

As for your condition, I hope you've had that cleared with a doctor beforehand. Wish you the best on your climbs!
I do a lot of climb rides with the club and this is the only one that does me in. On my own I do a ride about once a week that is a 2.5 mile look and it includes a half mile of climbing but is nothing compared to what I have done today. Maybe I need to attempt this ride a couple of times per year just to see if I am beating this climb.
Old 08-11-12, 04:46 PM
Carbon Unit

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by hhnngg1
You'll get there. Keep working at it. Try riding slower and easier on the climb rather than trying to burn it out hard - that's the key to success - you can gradually ratchet up the pace as you get stronger, but first you have to be confident that you can make it up.
Thanks, this encouragement does help.
Old 08-11-12, 04:47 PM
Carbon Unit

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by RIRview
When the weather is that oppressive, I hit the road as soon as the sky gets light (around 6:00 am), and I'm back home by 10:00. No need to roast alive............
Yes, it is an oven today. We usually get a hundred people on the Saturday ride and today there was maybe 30.
Old 08-11-12, 04:51 PM
cocar

Bikes: Treck lexa SC

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by RIRview
This is what I usually do. But I was with a group, and even though we started early, there were some mechanical issues, so we were out way later than intended. Blah.
Old 08-11-12, 04:51 PM
Carbon Unit

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by cocar
I don't know what to tell you as far as trying to fix the problem, but I'm with you. I had the same kind of a thing happen to me last weekend. There is a longish steep bridge (one of several) at the end of a longer ride that I usually can get over with no trouble. It was 95 and 75% humid, and I had to stop near the top because my heart rate was WAY too high, and I was getting dizzy. I drank plenty and wasn't dehydrated.

Now, in the last 3 years, I've had open heart surgery (replaced mitral valve), open brain surgery, and a major stroke. Generally, I don't have any trouble, but on that day, in those conditions, for whatever reason I did. I don't like to accept that I have limitations, but sometimes I do and there isn't any way around it. Really pushing myself in extreme heat/humidity is probably stupid...my heart isn't normal. Won't ever be normal. Which isn't to say I'm giving up at all. Just that you may want to think hard about what the risk/benefit is when it's really hot.

Maybe try it again when it's cooler and see what happens?

For me, the hottest day of the year isn't the best day to do the longest/hardest ride. It won't benefit me at all to pass out/have heat exhaustion.
Your situation sounds similar to mine. I typically do not have problems on climbs and can climb any hill I encounter but today it just didn't work. Maybe the heat did make a difference. I will try the ride again when the weather is better.

By the way, I spent a lot of summers in Tampa as a kid. My mother was from there. I loved the place but it has probably to the point where I wouldn't recognize it.
Old 08-11-12, 06:11 PM
GP

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
When it's unseasonably hot you shouldn't worry about your performance.
Old 08-11-12, 06:21 PM
valygrl

Mentioned: 83 Post(s)
Quoted: 163 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
18% always sucks, don't beat yourself up about it.

Try going as slow as you can. You can probably go slower than you think you can.

Try standing for part of it.

On the flat part in the middle, recover. Go slow, let your HR come down, drink, eat.

Lose weight.

Climb more.
Old 08-11-12, 06:30 PM
MikeWMass

Bikes: Velosolex St. Tropez, LeMond Zurich (spine bike), Rotator swb recumbent

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked 67 Times in 32 Posts
Originally Posted by Carbon Unit
I don't get a burn in my legs, what happens is that my heart rate increased until I have to stop.
I am probably going to get flamed for this, but here goes anyway! I would recommend you try a HIGHER gear and a LOWER cadence when you notice your heart rate going up. You are "blowing up", going anaerobic; keep going and there are three possible outcomes: 1) you stop 2) you pass out, or 3) you reach the top before 1 or 2 happens. If your knees and quads will take it, this may well help. High cadence/low gear stresses your cardiorespiratory fitness, low cadence/high gear stresses your musculoskeletal system. On a long climb, you can switch back and forth, and even stand for a while.
Old 08-11-12, 06:34 PM
ericm979

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Yes, I was moving slow in the easiest gear I have today. I don't get a burn in my legs, what happens is that my heart rate increased until I have to stop.

Sounds like you overheated. I have a HRM and power meter, and I can see when I overheat (like today- it was 112 degrees)- HR stays up but power drops a lot.

Keep at it, you will keep improving. It takes years to reach your genetic limit.
Old 08-11-12, 06:36 PM
ahsposo 
Artificial Member

Bikes: Retrospec Judd, Dahon Boardwalk, Specialized Langster

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 6766 Post(s)
Liked 5,478 Times in 3,223 Posts
Originally Posted by MikeWMass
I am probably going to get flamed for this, but here goes anyway! I would recommend you try a HIGHER gear and a LOWER cadence when you notice your heart rate going up. You are "blowing up", going anaerobic; keep going and there are three possible outcomes: 1) you stop 2) you pass out, or 3) you reach the top before 1 or 2 happens. If your knees and quads will take it, this may well help. High cadence/low gear stresses your cardiorespiratory fitness, low cadence/high gear stresses your musculoskeletal system. On a long climb, you can switch back and forth, and even stand for a while.
Actually I agree. So called 'dancing on the pedals'. If I understand your point.

Mixing it up is good.
Old 08-11-12, 06:41 PM
ericm979

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Except your HR goes up when you stand. If he's already at his limit that'll put him over.
Old 08-11-12, 06:42 PM
lungdoc

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
That is fairly major surgery and it certainly wouldn't surprise me if you were left with some significant lung function impairment even after surgery. Would be useful to know as could at least manage expectations. Lung function testing and a cardiopulmonary exercise test measuring your V02max, saturation etc. would be interesting and certainly could be justified at least in my area. I'd suggest hill training if that's a goal for you - repeatedly climbing shorter hills. There's several posts about people from very flat areas doing hill and interval training and successfully climbing some major climbs e.g Mauna Kea, Alpe D'Huez etc.
Old 08-11-12, 07:07 PM
FrenchFit 
The Left Coast, USA

Bikes: Bulls, Bianchi, Koga, Trek, Miyata

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 361 Post(s)
Liked 25 Times in 18 Posts
What doesn't kill me makes me stronger - Really?
You are quoting a man who lived into his forties, suffered from syphilis, who was thought to be manic-depressive with periodic psychosis, with multiple heart attacks to boot. Need I say more...
Old 08-11-12, 07:45 PM
Waxbytes

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
There is an upper limit as to how much work you can do at higher temperatures.
"Only mad dogs and Englishmen go out in the noonday sun"
Old 08-11-12, 08:34 PM
pallen
Descends like a rock

Bikes: Scott Foil, Surly Pacer

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 16 Times in 8 Posts
Originally Posted by FrenchFit
You are quoting a man who lived into his forties, suffered from syphilis, who was thought to be manic-depressive with periodic psychosis, with multiple heart attacks to boot. Need I say more...
Well obviously whatever he was doing killed him and did not make him stronger.

First, I would say, talk to your doctor about doing this kind of strenuous exercise. If he thinks you are ready for it, then yes, keep at it, and you wll get stronger.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.