Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Cannondale, what's the deal ?

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-12, 08:59 AM
OldPuebloTrek

Bikes: 2012 Cervelo S5 Team Ultegra

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Can anyone enlighten me as to why Cannondale do not route their cabling internally. Just seems like this is the norm on all but the least expensive road bikes on the market currently. Thanks
Old 08-24-12, 09:08 AM
Elduderino2412
Tour De French Fries

Bikes: 2010 Cervelo R3 SL & 2013 Airborne Goblin

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
i thought the EVO's had internal routing
Old 08-24-12, 09:13 AM
abstractform20

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
i dislike internal cables
Old 08-24-12, 09:17 AM
Banzai
Jet Jockey

Bikes: Cannondale CAAD9, Ritchey Breakaway Cross, Nashbar X-frame bike, Bike Friday Haul-a-Day, Surly Pugsley.

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 382 Post(s)
Liked 29 Times in 25 Posts
My favorite thing about Cannondale bikes is the very "normal" external cable routing and the use of standard components, like regular round seatposts with normal seatpost collars instead of funky (read: proprietary) shapes, etc.

Yes, they came out with a new "standard" with BB30, but also made it public/non-proprietary.

They're eminently upgradeable and fixable for the cyclist who likes to tinker. When Velonews reviewed the various "comfort" road bikes (Roubaix, Synapse, etc.) the Synapse got high marks and kudos for the very "standard" mechanical features it had as compared to the others.

(Beyond that, Velonews' test was crap. The Roubaix got the highest marks for suppressing road noise and bumps, and was also the only bike in the "test" with 25mm tires, while the rest had 23mm. I know...off topic...but I remember reading the "test" and thinking what a load of hooey the ride quality portion was.)

Back to cables; the clever headtube mounted cable stops that Cannondale CAADs used to have (don't know if the 10 does) were a brilliant way to take care of the whole cable-rub-on-the-headtube cosmetic issue. Cable stops on the downtube were simply located there because that's where downtube shifter bosses used to be.
Old 08-24-12, 09:18 AM
Banzai
Jet Jockey

Bikes: Cannondale CAAD9, Ritchey Breakaway Cross, Nashbar X-frame bike, Bike Friday Haul-a-Day, Surly Pugsley.

Originally Posted by abstractform20
Ditto. Both from a mechanic's standpoint, and from the noises they often make whilst riding.
Old 08-24-12, 09:32 AM
Menel

Bikes: Helix, HonkyTonk, NailTrail

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
It's also easier for maintenance.

I also like their more classic near horizontal/flat top tubes. Very few manufacturer's still do that today.
Old 08-24-12, 09:40 AM
lungdoc

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
My Synapse Carbon has internal rear brake cable in the top tube, the gear cables run under the downtube and are hardly in the way in any case. I see nothing to complain about..

Last edited by lungdoc; 08-24-12 at 10:45 AM.
Old 08-24-12, 09:50 AM
tagaproject6

Bikes: Wilier Izoard XP (Record);Cinelli Xperience (Force);Specialized Allez (Rival);Bianchi Via Nirone 7 (Centaur); Colnago AC-R Disc;Colnago V1r Limited Edition;De Rosa King 3 Limited(Force 22);DeRosa Merak(Red):Pinarello Dogma 65.1 Hydro(Di2)

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 551 Post(s)
Liked 277 Times in 145 Posts
Originally Posted by OldPuebloTrek
Can anyone enlighten me as to why Cannondale do not route their cabling internally. Just seems like this is the norm on all but the least expensive road bikes on the market currently. Thanks
It is a design that they chose to apply to their bikes. Whatever the thought process is privy to them and them only. Seek enlightenment somewhere else
Old 08-24-12, 10:29 AM
Homebrew01
Super Moderator

Bikes: Old Steelies I made, Old Cannondales

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1173 Post(s)
Liked 927 Times in 612 Posts
Originally Posted by abstractform20
Same here ...

FYI: https://www.bikeforums.net/forum-sugg...ad-please.html
Old 08-24-12, 10:30 AM
abstractform20

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
in my experience, i have not been able to get internally routed bikes to shift as well as externally routed bikes.

this is not to say the quality of shifting is poor, but it has not been as optimal as external.
Old 08-24-12, 10:31 AM
Loopistuning

Bikes: 2012 BLUE Norcross

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Correct..EVOs do have internal cables
Old 08-24-12, 10:35 AM
milkbaby
blah blah blah

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
BH Ultralight, Wilier Zero.7, Time RXRS, and Orbea Orca are a few top end frames that still run external cable routing as well.
Old 08-24-12, 10:41 AM
garciawork

Bikes: Mikkelsen custom steel, Santa Cruz Chameleon SS, old trek trainer bike

Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
I don't think I would even buy a bike with internal cables, unless it was electronic. I'd still want the brakes external though...
Old 08-24-12, 11:06 AM
Manweiser

Bikes: 2010 CAAD9-5, 2013 Supersix Evo

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
From some of the 2012/2013 pictures of the SuperSix Evo, looks like mechanical groups are externally routed and only electronic groups are internally routed. Should be able to confirm this within a week or so when I receive a 2013 Evo with RED... all thanks to the wife.
Old 08-24-12, 11:26 AM
ColinL
Two-Wheeled Aficionado

Bikes: Santa Cruz Blur TR, Cannondale Quick CX dropbar conversion & others

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
internal cables are cool and easy to use IF the exit side under the bike is a large hole and you use flexible (i.e. "normal") housing. I have this on my CX bike which happens to be a Cannondale.

if you have more rigid housing, like Yokozuna Reaction or Gore Ride-On, even with a large output hole it is not very fun. it becomes neigh-impossible on some race bikes with really small outlet holes, requiring you to tie on some fishing line and get that through, then pull the housing.
Old 08-24-12, 04:13 PM
motorthings

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 6 Posts
EVOs only have an internal rear brake cable.
Old 08-24-12, 06:02 PM
rubic
Slogging along

Bikes: Cannondale Synapse '06, Mongoose titanium road bike '00--my commuter. Yes, Mongoose once made a decent ti road bike.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Banzai
My favorite thing about Cannondale bikes is the very "normal" external cable routing and the use of standard components, like regular round seatposts with normal seatpost collars instead of funky (read: proprietary) shapes, etc.

Yes, they came out with a new "standard" with BB30, but also made it public/non-proprietary.

They're eminently upgradeable and fixable for the cyclist who likes to tinker. When Velonews reviewed the various "comfort" road bikes (Roubaix, Synapse, etc.) the Synapse got high marks and kudos for the very "standard" mechanical features it had as compared to the others.

(Beyond that, Velonews' test was crap. The Roubaix got the highest marks for suppressing road noise and bumps, and was also the only bike in the "test" with 25mm tires, while the rest had 23mm. I know...off topic...but I remember reading the "test" and thinking what a load of hooey the ride quality portion was.)

Back to cables; the clever headtube mounted cable stops that Cannondale CAADs used to have (don't know if the 10 does) were a brilliant way to take care of the whole cable-rub-on-the-headtube cosmetic issue. Cable stops on the downtube were simply located there because that's where downtube shifter bosses used to be.
Excellent observation on the Velonews bias (!) on ride quality. Of course, everything else being equal, a bike with 25mm tires will ride better than one with 23s.
Old 08-24-12, 06:31 PM
manutd
Treble Member

Bikes: '07 Cervelo P2C, '12 Specialized Roubaix SL3 Expert, 2011 Specialized TriCross Comp.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I am having a small amount of trouble getting optimal shifting out of my Roubaix SL3 (Ultegra) with internal cabling. It isn't terrible but I've already had it in 2x to be adjusted. I feel (fear?) that I will need to do this on a regular basis....but I am going to try a different shop next time I think as well.

That being said my Cervelo (dura-ace) has shifted like a dream since day one and never needs any adjusting and it has internal cabling. So either its the design of the bike or its the shop doing the work.
Old 08-24-12, 07:15 PM
Bacciagalupe
Professional Fuss-Budget

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked 24 Times in 14 Posts
Originally Posted by OldPuebloTrek
Can anyone enlighten me as to why Cannondale do not route their cabling internally. Just seems like this is the norm on all but the least expensive road bikes on the market currently.
Last I checked, most bikes have external routing. E.g. you can drop $2800 on a Trek 4 Domane and still wind up with external.

So, it seems like external is the norm, and internal is only used on the most expensive road bikes....
Old 08-24-12, 08:20 PM
StanSeven
Administrator

Bikes: Cervelo C5, Guru Photon, Waterford, Specialized CX

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1106 Post(s)
Liked 2,173 Times in 1,464 Posts
Originally Posted by Banzai

Let me guess - you have a Canondale!
Old 08-24-12, 08:40 PM
lungdoc

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
My sense is that internal shifter cable routing is mostly an appearance thing, is there any proven advantage otherwise? I'd argue that the rear brake routing is a minor advantage at least when it comes to putting the bike on a rear rack - cable doesn't get pinched. Other than that I don't particularly see an advantage one way or the other.
Old 08-24-12, 09:02 PM
JoelS

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
After having used both, I much prefer external cable routing. Maintenance is easier. The cable doesn't take any strange turns with external routing. Shifting is much more precise and predictable.

Some sort of pithy irrelevant one-liner should go here.
Old 08-24-12, 09:05 PM
ColinL
Two-Wheeled Aficionado

Bikes: Santa Cruz Blur TR, Cannondale Quick CX dropbar conversion & others

Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by StanSeven
Let me guess - you have a Canondale!
probably so. the aforementioned VeloNews test actually looked at the bikes completely stock and with a normalized set of tires that every bike used. The Roubaix won both tests handily.

Originally Posted by lungdoc
My sense is that internal shifter cable routing is mostly an appearance thing, is there any proven advantage otherwise?
It is 90% appearance and 10% aerodynamics. In the case of my CX bike, let's up that to 99% appearance.

You do have better shifting with full length housing, and internal routing gives you that. And it's prettier and slightly more aero than external full-length housing. Internal brake cables are aero only because brakes work just fine with normal housing even in a torrential downpour or epic mud (spring classics, anyone?).
Old 08-25-12, 09:45 AM
ThinLine

Bikes: Pedal Force RS2, Canyon, Basso, Tommaso, Rock Racing, Schwinn, SWOBO, Trek

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by milkbaby
BH Ultralight, Wilier Zero.7, Time RXRS, and Orbea Orca are a few top end frames that still run external cable routing as well.
+1 as do high end Rock Racing De Rosa frames.
Old 08-25-12, 09:58 AM
Banzai
Jet Jockey

Originally Posted by ColinL
probably so. the aforementioned VeloNews test actually looked at the bikes completely stock and with a normalized set of tires that every bike used. The Roubaix won both tests handily.

It is 90% appearance and 10% aerodynamics. In the case of my CX bike, let's up that to 99% appearance.

You do have better shifting with full length housing, and internal routing gives you that. And it's prettier and slightly more aero than external full-length housing. Internal brake cables are aero only because brakes work just fine with normal housing even in a torrential downpour or epic mud (spring classics, anyone?).
Perhaps I missed something in the article. I wasn't that interested, just bored. But when they listed the components of the bikes tested only the Roubaix had 25mm tires. I don't recall a mention of tires being normalized. And though I do own a Cannondale, it has nothing to do with that. I don't have weird "brand-loyalties", and I'm not in the market for a "plush-road" bike. But, this is all getting really off topic.

Full length cable housing creates more drag/friction for the cable. I fail to see how it would offer better performance. The only reason for cable housing (particularly compressionless, which is THE innovation of shifting in recent decades) is to get the cable around transitions and direction changes while maintaining a constant cable length/pull between shifter and derailer.

All that being said; I really prefer external cables, and "standard" components on bikes.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.