Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Bad news/good news and a security tip

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-16, 10:57 AM
lungdoc

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

So, last weekend me or my wife left the garage door open and my 2012 Synapse Carbon Ultegra was gone. Didn't have it locked in the garage. Fortunately good insurance coverage and so I just picked up my new Cervelo R3 Ultegra 6800, which is sweet.

Security advice: lock bike in garage (duh). But the less obvious tip is to install a garage door automatic closer - there are several (some new openers include this function). I installed this one for 35 CDN in under ten minutes. Just replaced the existing inside touch switch. Works perfectly. Now if I forget door closes in 5 minutes (can tap to keep open if working outside etc). https://www.homedepot.ca/en/home/p.s...000765804.html, there are others. I wish I'd known about these before, surprised insurance companies don't push them.
Old 04-25-16, 11:09 AM
rmfnla

Bikes: Gilmour road, Curtlo road; both steel (of course)

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 273 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 9 Posts
Having something as potentially dangerous as a garage door on automatic causes me concern, but I guess as long as the usual safety features are in place you are good.

Glad for the happy ending...
Old 04-25-16, 11:13 AM
lungdoc

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Definitely need the light beam door closing prevention security in place and I definitely wouldn't run this with small children around. Mine are grown. I use as backup not as main. There are other devices available including one that uses your home network to let you check if door open and close it remotely, for me the switch was simpler. 50% of bike thefts are from open garage doors apparently.
Old 04-25-16, 01:35 PM
Gladius

Bikes: '86 Centurion Elite RS '17 Trek Domane SLR6 Disc '16 Trek Boone 5 '15 Trek Fuel EX 9 '20 Trek Checkpoint SL6

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Friend of mine has one of these new wifi garage door openers that sends him an email alert if it's opened when he's not home (you can set a time period during which it will alert you). He says it gives false alarms all the time, making it useless.

Before the days of wifi I had one that was just an aftermarket sensor that showed a red LED if the door was open, green if closed, but it would get out of alignment with the door all the time and was useless.

I like the idea of one that just shuts the door on its own.
Old 04-25-16, 01:41 PM
lungdoc

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
So far it just works. Straight replacement for my sears wall switch. Controls the light, etc too.

Cameras are another good option but not exactly a substitute for closer. Are a deterrent plus can easily check your own door status and help find the perpetrators.
Old 04-25-16, 01:46 PM
banerjek
Portland Fred

Bikes: Custom Winter, Challenge Seiran SL, Fuji Team Pro, Cattrike Road/Velokit, РOS hybrid

Quoted: 232 Post(s)
Liked 53 Times in 35 Posts
Garage door openers hold the door nice and tight, but be aware that some thieves know how to slide stuff over/under your door to grab the emergency release and open the door that way.
Old 04-25-16, 04:20 PM
lungdoc

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hence the lock as well. Anything is better than an open door and an unlocked bike! A determined thief can of course get anything, but our neighbourhood isn't high crime and I think a closed door and a lock will be adequate. I don't know that my door has an emergency release other than the handle to release the chain on the opener a long way from the door.
Old 04-25-16, 05:13 PM
Campag4life
Voice of the Industry

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 1188 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 8 Posts
I keep my bikes in the house.
Old 04-25-16, 05:29 PM
rpenmanparker 

Bikes: 1990 Romic Reynolds 531 custom build, Merlin Works CR Ti custom build, super light Workswell 066 custom build

Mentioned: 109 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6556 Post(s)
Liked 58 Times in 36 Posts
Originally Posted by banerjek
Garage door openers hold the door nice and tight, but be aware that some thieves know how to slide stuff over/under your door to grab the emergency release and open the door that way.
What kind of emergency release is that? I would like to see the crook who could find my release cable hanging who knows where from the rail. Maybe Inspector Gadget could do it, but I'll take my chances.

Originally Posted by LAJ
No matter where I go, here I am...
Old 04-25-16, 05:35 PM
2manybikes

Bikes: 2 many

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1266 Post(s)
Liked 323 Times in 169 Posts
My factory option is a box in the house that beeps once every minute when the door is open. It also displays a red light when the door is open. I can close the door from the house with this, and get confirmation with a green light and a different beep when the door is finally closed. It will not open the door, in case someone gets in the house. Before closing the door, the garage light flashes and beeps for 30 seconds I think, when using this remote.

I had my bike taken in the 1960's from the garage. I know a guy who lives near there and he lost a two bikes a couple of years ago.

edit - Bailey is close personal friends with Kujo.

Last edited by 2manybikes; 04-25-16 at 05:41 PM.
Old 04-25-16, 05:43 PM
ltxi

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 258 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by rmfnla
Having something as potentially dangerous as a garage door on automatic causes me concern.......
Plus the ongoing inconvenience of forgetting, the issue which appears to have driven the need, to lock it open. Anyway/in any event I prefer to live in a place where an occasional lapse doesn't have stolen stuff consequence.
Old 04-25-16, 05:54 PM
lungdoc

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by ltxi
Plus the ongoing inconvenience of forgetting, the issue which appears to have driven the need, to lock it open. Anyway/in any event I prefer to live in a place where an occasional lapse doesn't have stolen stuff consequence.
Where is this nirvana...(and gated communities or rural seclusion doesn't really count - not an option for me/many)? I live in a low crime neighbourhood in a low crime province in a low crime country. But stuff still happens, probably left that door open once every two months for 4 years, eventually I paid the price. A closer may not be the answer for everyone, but there may be many who, like me 10 days ago, never really even knew they were an option.

I'd rather forget to lock it open than forget to close it. It beeps progressively when timer is running so you will get warned before closing and if something in way of light beam it won't close. I have a numeric keypad by the door outside to open anyway so if it does close when out in the yard it's a 10 second process to open it.
Old 04-25-16, 06:27 PM
ltxi

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
A not gated upper middle class on the far south eastern edge of Denver metro suburban neighborhood. The kind of place one doesn't hafta all the time lock their car in the driveway. Helps, I suppose, I have a rather secluded rear entry, not street facing garage but no one else around does and none have had a problem in the 23 years we've lived here.

Last edited by ltxi; 04-25-16 at 06:38 PM.
Old 04-25-16, 07:18 PM
scott967

Bikes: 89 Paramount OS 84 Fuji Touring Series III New! 2013 Focus Izalco Ergoride

Quoted: 285 Post(s)
Liked 74 Times in 54 Posts
I've left the garage door open over night a few times with no problem. Wouldn't recommend it of course. I was more worried about my tools getting ripped off than the bike. What I want is to install a security cam so I could easily see if the door is open or not (I have a detached garage and I have to go outside to see).

scott s.
Old 04-25-16, 07:20 PM
Berg417448
Troublemaker

Bikes: Yes. The more the better.

Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked 44 Times in 23 Posts
Originally Posted by rpenmanparker
What kind of emergency release is that? I would like to see the crook who could find my release cable hanging who knows where from the rail. Maybe Inspector Gadget could do it, but I'll take my chances.
Here is how they do it. Has to be more difficult if the garage door has no windows.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CMz1tXBVT1s
Old 04-26-16, 04:15 PM
ltxi

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by scott967
I've left the garage door open over night a few times with no problem. Wouldn't recommend it of course. I was more worried about my tools getting ripped off than the bike. What I want is to install a security cam so I could easily see if the door is open or not (I have a detached garage and I have to go outside to see).

scott s.
I for years have used a Chamberlain position sensor on the door that wireless couples to a receiver in our bedroom. Green led = door closed and red flashing = open. Cheap, circa $20, and "dumbass, you left the garage open" effective.
Old 04-26-16, 04:20 PM
Sy Reene
Advocatus Diaboli

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene, Nashbar steel CX

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4729 Post(s)
Liked 1,531 Times in 1,002 Posts
Originally Posted by lungdoc
So, last weekend me or my wife left the garage door open and my 2012 Synapse Carbon Ultegra was gone. Didn't have it locked in the garage. Fortunately good insurance coverage and so I just picked up my new Cervelo R3 Ultegra 6800, which is sweet.
Sounds good, as long as your homeowners insurance premium doesn't go up so that you're just paying them back over the next X number of years.