Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Anyone else baffled by Rivendell's photos?

Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Anyone else baffled by Rivendell's photos?

Old 05-24-20, 01:32 PM
The Golden Boy 
Extraordinary Magnitude

Bikes: 1978 Trek TX700; 1978/79 Trek 736; 1984 Specialized Stumpjumper Sport; 1984 Schwinn Voyageur SP; 1985 Trek 620; 1985 Trek 720; 1986 Trek 400 Elance; 1987 Schwinn High Sierra; 1990 Miyata 1000LT

Mentioned: 84 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2607 Post(s)
Liked 1,694 Times in 933 Posts
Originally Posted by canklecat

Eventually it'll probably be my main bike again, as my old neck injury continues to deteriorate. For now I'm mostly riding drop bar road bikes, steel and carbon, but I doubt I'll be able to handle drop bars 10 years from now.

Those upright swept Albatross and North Roads bars are great, remarkably versatile. Mine are set upright at saddle height. I can sit upright when holding the grips, but leaning forward into the curved part of the bar is like riding the hoods on my steel road bike. Same basic ergonomics. A friend flopped the swept bars on both of his hybrids, path racer style, and he's aero and fast in that position.
That dirty 'getting old' thing is catching up to me- my back and neck- yeah, I've had a hard time looking up for several years; my paratrooper knees are catching up to me; although it hasn't affected my bicycling yet- my shoulders are going; nerve damage in my hand makes things difficult...

I thought I had my stems pretty hiked up- but I've been playing with the idea of jacking them up higher. I'm still good on drop bars, but I know the time is coming for flat or swept back bars.

And since this is a Rivendell thing- the pix of Jimmy Carter on a Riv are quite inspiring.

Commence to jigglin’ huh?!?!

"But hey, always love to hear from opinionated amateurs." -says some guy to Mr. Marshall.
Old 05-25-20, 11:12 AM
dkatz1

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 123 Post(s)
Liked 83 Times in 63 Posts
Originally Posted by uprightbent
I respect what they've done, but can't grasp the photos that apparently have become their odd norm?

Not a drop bar in sight. Seems like upright cruiser bars have taken over.
Helmets seem frowned upon. Don't want a helmet discussion, but it's clear they're not cool in Riv pics.
Lots of photos pushing bikes up hills?
And these crazy frames. Extra double top tubes. Can't understand 3 grand for what's really a hybrid?

I used to lust over the Atlantis and the Bleriot. Doesn't even seem like the same company.
I paid close to $4000 (in 2007) for a road bike (Independent Fabrication frame) with flat handle bars, which would make it a hybrid....it's what my back needed.
After riding that bike for 13 years, using it on the road and commuting, I'd have to say it was well worth it.
Likes For dkatz1:
Old 05-25-20, 11:15 AM
52telecaster
ambulatory senior

Bikes: Austro Daimler modified by Gugie! Raleigh Professional and lots of other bikes.

Mentioned: 76 Post(s)
Quoted: 1954 Post(s)
Liked 3,657 Times in 1,677 Posts
Originally Posted by dkatz1
I paid close to $4000 (in 2007) for a road bike (Independent Fabrication frame) with flat handle bars, which would make it a hybrid....it's what my back needed.
After riding that bike for 13 years, using it on the road and commuting, I'd have to say it was well worth it.
exactly!
It took me too long to switch but i never kooked back.
Old 05-25-20, 11:39 AM
cudak888 
www.theheadbadge.com

Bikes: https://www.theheadbadge.com

Mentioned: 124 Post(s)
Quoted: 2420 Post(s)
Liked 4,381 Times in 2,090 Posts
Road bike with flat bars ≠ hybrid. Maybe from a purely grammatical standpoint, yes - but what you describe is not the same as this. By a mile.

-Kurt

Likes For cudak888:
Old 05-25-20, 11:41 AM
2old

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 878 Post(s)
Liked 812 Times in 613 Posts
Pictures, meh. Their prices for fully rigid biked (some made in Taiwan, which isn't bad, actually great) are too high for my stable.
Old 05-25-20, 01:36 PM
big chainring 

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 751 Post(s)
Liked 726 Times in 350 Posts
Looks like beach cruisers to me. If I were looking for an urban do-it-all bike, I would be looking at a mini-velo. Small, compact, easy to store and bring up flights of stairs if need be. Long wheelbase, fat, tire cruisers are a pain to find room for in small urban apartments. I see those long wheelbase euro-cargo bikes around and think, where do you put that when not in use? Buy to each his own.
Old 05-25-20, 02:37 PM
52telecaster
ambulatory senior

Bikes: Austro Daimler modified by Gugie! Raleigh Professional and lots of other bikes.

Originally Posted by cudak888
Road bike with flat bars ≠ hybrid. Maybe from a purely grammatical standpoint, yes - but what you describe is not the same as this. By a mile.

-Kurt
in my shop that's a comfort bike.
Likes For 52telecaster:
Old 05-25-20, 02:39 PM
cudak888 
www.theheadbadge.com

Originally Posted by 52telecaster
in my shop that's a comfort bike.
Marketing terms evolve. The evolution that birthed that bike remains the same.

-Kurt

Old 05-25-20, 02:45 PM
Bill in VA

Bikes: Current: 2016 Bianchi Volpe; 1973 Peugeot UO-8. Past: 1974 Fuji S-10-S with custom black Imron paint by Stinsman Racing of PA.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 215 Post(s)
Liked 204 Times in 142 Posts
This is NOT my situation (I find drops make the back hurt less), but I am in agreement and actually is a good synopsis of this thread.

Rivendell was a bike frame I really wanted due to lug work, steel, and great paint. I leaned to the Roadeo or Roadini, but felt one of their canti-equipped models was the real draw. I prefer shorter chainstays for hills, and want 700c wheels with 28-38mm tire flexibility and braze ons. I do not want a rolling billboard compact frame with a 10" seatpost, matte paint, or black components.

The current Rivendell complete bicycle offerings are not really in my lane, BUT they will build you a bike as you want, and still have the frames that catch my eye. I like that. I like their at times quirky parts and accessories offerings, and have bought a number, and like to read their website. I found Rene Herse (Compass) at the same time, as well as VeloOrange, and have bought from them. It has allowed me to replicate some of the features that I really liked on my vintage Peugeot and my vintage departed Fuji, on my newer steel-tubed Bianchi.

I want all of those three concerns (Riv, RH, and VO) to continue and succeed and wish them well.

For me pushing the bike up the hill is both a defeat and a triumph, and part of the biking experience. At least it is better than portaging a kayak or canoe.
Likes For Bill in VA:
Old 05-25-20, 02:46 PM
52telecaster
ambulatory senior

Originally Posted by cudak888
Marketing terms evolve. The evolution that birthed that bike remains the same.

-Kurt
Comfort is used derisively by the staff but honestly those things get a lot of folks started riding.
Old 05-25-20, 03:40 PM
gugie 
Bike Butcher of Portland

Bikes: It's complicated.

Mentioned: 1299 Post(s)
Quoted: 4677 Post(s)
Liked 5,790 Times in 2,279 Posts
Five pages and counting.

Halfway there, folks.
Old 05-25-20, 03:57 PM
Headpost

Bikes: I've stopped at seven.

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 275 Post(s)
Liked 302 Times in 185 Posts
My point was just that so many people here in NYC go into bike shops and are sold a "beginner" bicycle LIKE this:

When they would have been so much happier and better-served--considering the type of riding they're actually going to do--by a bike LIKE this:

Old 05-25-20, 04:08 PM
cudak888 
www.theheadbadge.com

Originally Posted by gugie
Five pages and counting.

Halfway there, folks.
Hell with Grant. How many pages can we fill this thread up with Gugificazione?

-Kurt

Likes For cudak888:
Old 05-25-20, 04:31 PM
cs1

Bikes: Specialized, Schwinn

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 225 Post(s)
Liked 24 Times in 22 Posts
Originally Posted by uprightbent
I respect what they've done, but can't grasp the photos that apparently have become their odd norm?

Not a drop bar in sight. Seems like upright cruiser bars have taken over.
Helmets seem frowned upon. Don't want a helmet discussion, but it's clear they're not cool in Riv pics.
Lots of photos pushing bikes up hills?
And these crazy frames. Extra double top tubes. Can't understand 3 grand for what's really a hybrid?

I used to lust over the Atlantis and the Bleriot. Doesn't even seem like the same company.
As far as double top tubes go, Grant Peterson is something like 6'4". So he seems to design his bikes for tall riders. If you take a look at the lugs on his bikes you can see why they charge what they do. They are not aluminum cookie cutter frames from China.
Old 05-25-20, 04:47 PM
sunburst

Bikes: Giant, Peugeots, Motobecanes, Kona, Specialized, Bike Friday, Ironhorse, Royal Scot, Schwinns

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 188 Post(s)
Liked 96 Times in 51 Posts
I've bought one set of bars from them (actually from a neighbor who was from Berkeley and visited that location), a style that only had 3 sources in the entire country at the time, Nitto Dove. Really elegant curves, as far as upright bars, imo. I've also set up quite a few bikes in what I consider Rivendell style, using Nitto Albatross, Nitto Promenade, Nitto stems, Brooks saddles, MKS touring pedals, etc, although I was never consciously copying them. It's just as I started getting older, I needed the upright posture. Plus I do most of my riding around town on errands and/or lightweight jaunts. And lastly, I was coming off a light-weight hardpack trail one day as a woman was entering and while complimenting her bike I realized she looked like a Rivendell ad: a Rivendell bike, accessories, clothes, everything!
Old 05-25-20, 05:09 PM
Salamandrine 

Bikes: 78 Masi Criterium, 68 PX10, 2016 Mercian King of Mercia, Rivendell Clem Smith Jr

Mentioned: 120 Post(s)
Quoted: 2317 Post(s)
Liked 597 Times in 430 Posts
Comparing Rivendells to hybrids is somewhat ridiculous. Hybrids sold in bike shops were always at the entry level price wise. Rivendells are more like an, ahem, modern version of an MB-1, but with much fancier (expensive) lugs. It's top end stuff. Clearly they confuse a lot of people by throwing Wald baskets and cheap derailleurs on them.

There's my contribution for today towards the 10 pages.
Likes For Salamandrine:
Old 05-25-20, 05:17 PM
dkatz1

I actually a 52 and then a '51 Telecaster....and a 61 strat...all bought used, all for under a hundred bucks and then sold for the same....I also at one time had a 1959 ES 345 and a 1954 Byrdland prototype. Back then, things were different.
Likes For dkatz1:
Old 05-25-20, 05:21 PM
dkatz1

Originally Posted by Bill in VA
This is NOT my situation (I find drops make the back hurt less), but I am in agreement and actually is a good synopsis of this thread.

Rivendell was a bike frame I really wanted due to lug work, steel, and great paint. I leaned to the Roadeo or Roadini, but felt one of their canti-equipped models was the real draw. I prefer shorter chainstays for hills, and want 700c wheels with 28-38mm tire flexibility and braze ons. I do not want a rolling billboard compact frame with a 10" seatpost, matte paint, or black components.

The current Rivendell complete bicycle offerings are not really in my lane, BUT they will build you a bike as you want, and still have the frames that catch my eye. I like that. I like their at times quirky parts and accessories offerings, and have bought a number, and like to read their website. I found Rene Herse (Compass) at the same time, as well as VeloOrange, and have bought from them. It has allowed me to replicate some of the features that I really liked on my vintage Peugeot and my vintage departed Fuji, on my newer steel-tubed Bianchi.

I want all of those three concerns (Riv, RH, and VO) to continue and succeed and wish them well.

For me pushing the bike up the hill is both a defeat and a triumph, and part of the biking experience. At least it is better than portaging a kayak or canoe.
Drops hurt YOUR back less. Not mine.
Also: back in 2007, when I had the IF built, I was trying bikes wiht drops (used to ride them, long ago) and found that the arthritis in my hands made it almost impossible to work the brakes. A lot of people love those reclining seats in movie theaters. They hurt my back. We're not all the same.
Old 05-25-20, 05:33 PM
Crankstank 

Bikes: 2008 Rodriguez Adventure, 1995 TiCycles, 1995 KHS Montana Pro Custom, 2012 Surly Troll, 1976 Azuki Gran Sport Custom Frankenbike, 1974 Schwinn Sports Tourer, 1976 Schwinn Superior, 1989 Kona Cinder Cone

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked 54 Times in 16 Posts
Odd looking?

I have been told by friends that own Rivendells that if I get one and ride it for awhile, it will start to look completely normal. I love my drop bar bikes for long rides. Most of my rides are less than 20 miles so my Surly Troll with the flat bars usually is my weapon of choice. My roadie friends think it’s weird but I don’t seem to have any problem keeping up. I will own a Riv one day and will probably get the strangest looking one (to my eye anyway) they currently sell so I can see how long it takes to become normal. And if in the unlikely event I hate riding it I can always hang it on the wall and ride my other bikes.
Old 05-25-20, 05:39 PM
Bill in VA

Bikes: Current: 2016 Bianchi Volpe; 1973 Peugeot UO-8. Past: 1974 Fuji S-10-S with custom black Imron paint by Stinsman Racing of PA.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 215 Post(s)
Liked 204 Times in 142 Posts
Drops hurt YOUR back less. Not mine.
Also: back in 2007, when I had the IF built, I was trying bikes wiht drops (used to ride them, long ago) and found that the arthritis in my hands made it almost impossible to work the brakes. A lot of people love those reclining seats in movie theaters. They hurt my back. We're not all the same.
I DO agree with you and was trying to say that. I hope you did not think I was disagreeing or dismissing YOUR back issues. We all pick what we are comfortable on or like.
Old 05-25-20, 05:42 PM
cudak888 
www.theheadbadge.com

-Kurt

Likes For cudak888:
Old 05-25-20, 05:54 PM
The Golden Boy 
Extraordinary Magnitude

Bikes: 1978 Trek TX700; 1978/79 Trek 736; 1984 Specialized Stumpjumper Sport; 1984 Schwinn Voyageur SP; 1985 Trek 620; 1985 Trek 720; 1986 Trek 400 Elance; 1987 Schwinn High Sierra; 1990 Miyata 1000LT

Mentioned: 84 Post(s)
Quoted: 2607 Post(s)
Liked 1,694 Times in 933 Posts
Originally Posted by Crankstank
I have been told by friends that own Rivendells that if I get one and ride it for awhile, it will start to look completely normal. I love my drop bar bikes for long rides. Most of my rides are less than 20 miles so my Surly Troll with the flat bars usually is my weapon of choice. My roadie friends think it’s weird but I don’t seem to have any problem keeping up. I will own a Riv one day and will probably get the strangest looking one (to my eye anyway) they currently sell so I can see how long it takes to become normal. And if in the unlikely event I hate riding it I can always hang it on the wall and ride my other bikes.
There's definitely an element of truth to that.

When the Tektro RRL levers came out, I thought they were the most hideous abomination of a brake lever ever invented.... I think even the Rivendell copy said something to the effect of "what a brake lever would look like if you told a millennial to design a vintage looking brake lever." Over time they went from "hideous" to "ugly" to "intriguing" to "I'm gonna try them out." Damn if they aren't the most comfortable levers, and they look fine to me now. It's taken like 5 years or whatever- but, IMO, they're the best brake levers ever, now.

IMG_1703 by Dave The Golden Boy, on Flickr

IMG_0217 by Dave The Golden Boy, on Flickr

IMG_0218 by Dave The Golden Boy, on Flickr

Commence to jigglin’ huh?!?!

"But hey, always love to hear from opinionated amateurs." -says some guy to Mr. Marshall.
Likes For The Golden Boy:
Old 05-26-20, 11:10 AM
corwin1968

Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Liked 32 Times in 18 Posts
I discovered Rivendell Bicycle Works in 2011 and became a fan of their bikes because their riding philosophy was right in line with my own.

I started riding in 1995 on a Trek Mult-Track, which both then and now, I find to be the perfect type of bicycle for me. The Multi-Track had a couple of limitations for me, primarily a too short top tube and not enough tire clearance. I prefer a steel, diamond frameset (some top tube slope is fine) and there really aren't many (any?) bikes out there that fit my requirements, except for some of the RBW models.

I finally took the plunge and bought a Hunqapillar frameset. It checks all of my functional requirements but in all honesty, I would prefer it to have been tig welded, powder coated one color and half the price. Also, when I bought my Hunqapillar, the Appaloosa was available and was pretty much an identical bike except for the much longer chainstays. I waited to find a used Hunqapillar with a more reasonable chainstay length. For my riding, the extra length is not beneficial and can even be somewhat of a hindrance.

Old 05-26-20, 02:44 PM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Mentioned: 511 Post(s)
Quoted: 7345 Post(s)
Liked 2,449 Times in 1,429 Posts
Originally Posted by ascherer
So do y'all think Riv is a Lifestyle Brand, like Rapha? If so, my townie could check many boxes: 531 frame, chrome Nervex Pro lugs, 8-speed internal gears, longish wheelbase, 35c tires, fenders, North Road Bars, wide sprung Brooks saddle, cork grips, bell, lights, can be pedaled in any shoes with or without SPDs, basket, racks...and it commutes to work with my work stuff in the basket, brings home 4 grocery bags in canvas shopping panniers, gets locked up on city streets while I'm doing my errands, occasionally goes to cool paces like this just for the fun of riding this very enjoyable utility bike built for functionality, comfort and aesthetics.

Maybe I'm actually living the Lifestyle(TM), because I posted a picture of myself riding it home with groceries on Instagram 2 weekends ago and promptly received two inquiries from companies offering "collabs" with their product lines - one clothes, one men's watches.

You certainly have nailed the æsthetic. I say you should accept those offers. I get emails from Chinese companies asking me to review their products. They send them to me for free or a 95% discount. If you start blogging prolifically, you can get some bigger offers than that.

And by the way, you can get the ™ character with Option-2 on a Mac keyboard.

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.
Likes For noglider:
Old 05-26-20, 03:27 PM
ascherer 

Bikes: 1987 Mercian Pro, 1985 Shogun 500, early '70s Falcon San Remo, 1972 Peugeot PX-10, 1972 Schwinn Paramount P13-9, 1971 Raleigh International, 1971 Peugeot PX-10, 1970 Raleigh Professional Mk1

Mentioned: 109 Post(s)
Quoted: 938 Post(s)
Liked 2,921 Times in 976 Posts
Originally Posted by noglider
You certainly have nailed the æsthetic. I say you should accept those offers.
I know, my International is yet another artwork. It does stray into brass, cork, and leather but it has no twine. I do not own an artisanal hatchet, titanium spork, nor grass-fed Porcupine Tar Soap. Thank you for the compliment!
<EDIT: I suddenly remembered: I have to cop to the fact that I the bash guard is from Riv. It was the only one I liked>

I turned 'em down. One offer was half off some decent-looking watches, but I really don't want another watch. I have 3 already, I only wear one at a time and it's the ugliest one I have (Apple) but the most useful. The one that matches my bike's æsthetic (thanks for the ligature) is my Dad's early 50's Omega Tank watch. Classy, classic and understated. The other offer was from a line of kinda Hip Hop outerwear. I think I'd bring their brand down...

Last edited by ascherer; 05-26-20 at 08:05 PM.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.