Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Identify Peugeot model and original components

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-20, 09:47 AM
pozelei

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hello there,

this is my first post here. I hope You can help me

I just bought a Peugeot frame and I am pretty sure that it is a 1973 PL 8. The serial number on the aluminium plate on the BB is "C333510". Unfortunately I cannot post an image yet. Some more details:

- Beautiful saturated green colour, the lugs are coloured black
- the decals contain: gold/black/white "Peugeot" on the bottom tube, black/white arrow-like decals on the fork, black/white fork-like decal on top tube.
- a pump was attached underneath the top tube

I plan to recreate the original condition as close as possible. If I assumed the model and year correctly, then I already know that the breaks originally used were Mavic Racer. Concerning the dereilleurs I have no clue yet.
I would appreciate any hints and other sources
Old 06-21-20, 10:13 AM
oneclick 

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 1106 Post(s)
Liked 1,328 Times in 784 Posts
Originally Posted by pozelei
Hello there,

this is my first post here. I hope You can help me

I just bought a Peugeot frame and I am pretty sure that it is a 1973 PL 8. The serial number on the aluminium plate on the BB is "C333510". Unfortunately I cannot post an image yet. Some more details:

- Beautiful saturated green colour, the lugs are coloured black
- the decals contain: gold/black/white "Peugeot" on the bottom tube, black/white arrow-like decals on the fork, black/white fork-like decal on top tube.
- a pump was attached underneath the top tube

I plan to recreate the original condition as close as possible. If I assumed the model and year correctly, then I already know that the breaks originally used were Mavic Racer. Concerning the dereilleurs I have no clue yet.
I would appreciate any hints and other sources
Is there a tubing decal - "Allege Peugeot" or "Carbolite 103" or "Reynolds <anything>"

Are the cranks steel or aluminium?

Are the rear dropouts stamped from plate (will be all the same thickness) or forged (will have thicker parts where the axle nuts rest)?

Does it have both, only the fork, or no chrome on the forks and rear triangle?

Do the head-tube lugs have all curly edges or do they have pyramidal block-shaped cutouts?
Old 06-21-20, 10:31 AM
T-Mar

Mentioned: 654 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4722 Post(s)
Liked 3,038 Times in 1,876 Posts
A Peugeot serial number from this period would not start with a 'C'. I suspect it's an incomplete 'zero'. Regardless, given that you're located in Germany it would appear to be a PL8. Unfortunately, their doesn't appear to be anything left on the frame that would provide an exact date Picture assist....

Old 06-21-20, 11:53 AM
pozelei

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The seller gave me a bag with some parts. The 3 point crankset seems to be made of steel (45 and 52 teeth). It looks like the one on the PL image from the 1973 catalogue. I only got a front derailleur as well and its a Huret Sachs. There is the number 4186 stamped on it. But I have no idea if it is the original one.
Old 06-21-20, 01:14 PM
steve sumner

Bikes: '68 Masi Special road, Grail bike

Quoted: 108 Post(s)
Liked 70 Times in 58 Posts
I would expect the original derailleurs to be Simplex Prestige. finding a front one that isn't brittle and ready to
crack at the mounting contacts is difficult. also the plastic shift levers were problematic shifting to low (largest cog)
you would be well off to use Huret instead
Old 06-21-20, 03:46 PM
T-Mar

Mentioned: 654 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4722 Post(s)
Liked 3,038 Times in 1,876 Posts
That Huret Sachs is a definite replacement,as it is about a decade too modern. As noted, the original derailleurs would have been Simplex Prestige. The frame itself could be anywhere from about 1970-1975.