Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

What do you carry in your tool roll?

Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Old 07-21-20, 11:59 AM
deux jambes

Mentioned: 64 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 535 Post(s)
Liked 344 Times in 196 Posts

I’m inclining to draw plans for an under the saddle tool roll. I need one for a recent build, and I’ve been wanting a sewing project for a while,

I’m wondering, what do you carry in your tool roll?

Also, besides basic pockets, what features do you appreciate or look for in a tool roll?

And lastly, if you have a tool roll that you feel is the bee’s knees, please share a photo or two of it. The inspiration will be most welcome.
Likes For deux jambes:
Old 07-21-20, 12:21 PM
squirtdad

Bikes: Kirk Custom JK Special, '84 Team Miyata,(dura ace old school) 80?? SR Semi-Pro 600 Arabesque

Mentioned: 104 Post(s)
Quoted: 2304 Post(s)
Liked 2,741 Times in 1,499 Posts
on bikes with tubular tires i carry a multi tool, a tire lever (in case i cant get off by hand) and a patch kit (to help others if needed) with a spare tire under the smallest seat bag I can fit the above in

on bikes with clinchers I carry a multi tool, 2 spare tubes, tire levers, and a patch kit

also throw in little wipe packets

when commuting in the dark i have a headlight in the backpack to make in the dark flat changes easier

Likes For squirtdad:
Old 07-21-20, 12:54 PM
FlMTNdude

Bikes: 1988 Panasonic, 1989 Fuji, Schwinn Beach Cruiser

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 115 Post(s)
Liked 60 Times in 45 Posts
Multi tool, 2 spare tubes, tire levers, patch kit, a pair of vinyl gloves, quick link, and a clif bar (white chocolate macadamia nut). Not in the pack (ran out of room) is a tire pump. I run lights day and night, so always have a light, including on the cell phone. I haven't tried the rolls, but I manage to cram a lot in a small saddle bag.
Old 07-21-20, 01:20 PM
ascherer 

Bikes: 1987 Mercian Pro, 1985 Shogun 500, early '70s Falcon San Remo, 1972 Peugeot PX-10, 1972 Schwinn Paramount P13-9, 1971 Raleigh International, 1971 Peugeot PX-10, 1970 Raleigh Professional Mk1

Mentioned: 107 Post(s)
Quoted: 931 Post(s)
Liked 2,842 Times in 963 Posts
What you see covers most situations. The roll was meant for cosmetic brushes, from a Chinese commerce site, cost ~3 USD. I bought 3, have pens in the second and the third is waiting in the wings. About the size of a healthy burrito, it tucks into a saddle wedge along with a tube or two, patch kit, tyvek boot, gloves, wipes. Zefal HPx on the frame. I have a neat little Lezyne, but I also have the Zefal...so yeah.

Likes For ascherer:
Old 07-21-20, 01:21 PM
SurferRosa
señor miembro

Bikes: '70s - '80s Campagnolo

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Quoted: 3846 Post(s)
Liked 6,437 Times in 3,183 Posts
- 2 Park Tool plastic tire levers
- 2 Park Tool pre-glued patches
- 2 regular patches and tiny tin of rubber cement
- CO2 cartridge and inflator
- Handy wipe

​​​​​​​Super long rides or longish group rides usually get an additional CO2 cartridge and spare tube.
Old 07-21-20, 01:29 PM
Salamandrine 

Bikes: 78 Masi Criterium, 68 PX10, 2016 Mercian King of Mercia, Rivendell Clem Smith Jr

Mentioned: 120 Post(s)
Quoted: 2317 Post(s)
Liked 597 Times in 430 Posts
I use an old Jannd tubular bag. Does that count for a tool roll? Mini pump, patch kit, tube, tire levers, CO2, phone. Keys too if I'm not wearing a jersey. I don't normally carry tools, but once in a blue moon I'll bring my SKS mini tool if I feel insecure about something.

If I'm riding the Clem, it has a little Carradice seat bag with all of the above, but in addition I'll usually bring the mini tool -- cuz why not, plus sometimes a 'real' camera, and maybe some food.

I realize I've sold out with the CO2, but I'm over pumping up a tire with a mini pump unless I really have too.
Old 07-21-20, 03:38 PM
jeirvine 

Bikes: '72 Motobecane Grand Record, '72 Gitane tandem, '72 Raleigh Super Course, '73 Raleigh Gran Sport, '73 Colnago Super, '76 Fiorelli Coppi, '78 Raleigh SBDU Team Pro, '78 Trek 930, '81 Holdsworth Special 650B, '86 Masi GC, ’94 Bridgestone RB-T

Mentioned: 67 Post(s)
Quoted: 784 Post(s)
Liked 515 Times in 279 Posts
Here's my grab and go kit: zip pouch and a spare tire. Most bikes have Campy crank bolts and 2-bolt seat posts. I swap out a couple wrenches for other bikes. The pedal/HS, and peanut butter wrench are almost never needed, (because I carry them).

Old 07-21-20, 04:00 PM
nlerner

Mentioned: 480 Post(s)
Quoted: 3788 Post(s)
Liked 6,574 Times in 2,580 Posts
Park Tool multitool, one tube, pair of plastic tire levers, and a patch kit that might or might not have dried up glue. I have a bracket coming from the down tube water bottle mount for my Lezyne pump.
Old 07-21-20, 04:58 PM
iab

Mentioned: 200 Post(s)
Quoted: 2993 Post(s)
Liked 3,710 Times in 1,393 Posts
Depends on the ride.

Plooting around town - personal phone to call for sag support

Long ride outside of town - personal phone, face mask, cash, credit card, ID, 2-ounce bottle of sealant, tubular tape, multitool or adjustable wrench (depends on the bike, older ones do not use hex heads), CO2 inflator, 2 CO2 cartridges, covered (UV protection) spare tire under seat folded in the Diablo Scott method

Long ride not near the home base - personal and work phone (don't know which will have reception), face mask, cash, credit card, ID, 2 2-ounce bottles of sealant, tubular tape, multitool or adjustable wrench (depends on the bike, older ones do not use hex heads), CO2 inflator, 2 CO2 cartridges, covered (UV protection) spare tire under seat folded in the Diablo Scott method
Old 07-21-20, 05:13 PM
woofy

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by deux jambes
I’m wondering, what do you carry in your tool roll
No tool roll. I carry mine in a water bottle. Road/gravel bike.

tube
patch kit
irons
Co2 and inflator head, 2 canisters just in case.
multi-tool

There must be some other stuff, but that’s the general gist. Fills a 20oz Camelback Podium perfectly. No rattling or friction. I do pack the parts in baggies. This cuts down on friction and wear. Wouldn’t want to pull the tube out one day and find a hole worn in it by rubbing and rattling of other parts of the kit. Speaking from experience here.

Have not weighed it. Don’t need to. It weighs nothing compared to carrying the bike. Heh.
Old 07-21-20, 08:52 PM
merziac

Bikes: Merz x 5 + Specialized Merz Allez x 2, Strawberry/Newlands/DiNucci/Ti x3, Gordon, Fuso/Moulton x2, Bornstein, Paisley,1958-74 Paramounts x3, 3rensho, 74 Moto TC, 73-78 Raleigh Pro's x5, Marinoni x2, 1960 Cinelli SC, 1980 Bianchi SC, PX-10 X 2

Mentioned: 267 Post(s)
Quoted: 4494 Post(s)
Liked 6,300 Times in 3,633 Posts
Too much that I almost never need, and when I take something out, then I need it.

Currently I have it in a large cage bottle so the Fly 6 can be on the SP.

4 and 6in Crescent's
Topeak Alien w/levers built in
Leatherman
pump/inflator combo w/cartridges
patch kit
mini rachet set that I put together awhile back.that includes the 4in Crescent above.

Need to streamline and eliminate some of the duplication but they all provide a use of their own so.....
Old 07-21-20, 11:14 PM
gugie 
Bike Butcher of Portland

Bikes: It's complicated.

Mentioned: 1299 Post(s)
Quoted: 4670 Post(s)
Liked 5,769 Times in 2,272 Posts
Don't need tire levers on any of my bikes, ask @northbend why.

Tube, patch kit, piece of Tyvek for boot material, spoke wrench, MAFAC tool kit cause MAFAC brakes, loosen allen wrenches, blade and phillips screwdrivers. Well, some of the MAFAC wrenches are tire levers on the other end, so I guess I do carry them, just don't use 'em.
On a tour I'll bring a Stein cassette tool, a couple of spare spokes and a small jar of chain lube. I tend to tour with other people, so I talk them into bringing all the heavier tools

Anything more than that you're getting into the low probability, high specialization tools. A couple of times I've lead a dozen riders across forestry roads from Portlandia to Tillamook (North Trask route) and brought a spare rear derailleur, brake and derailleur cables because it was 15 miles to get back to a paved road, worst case.
Old 07-21-20, 11:21 PM
Brad L 

Bikes: Several

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 204 Post(s)
Liked 1,014 Times in 315 Posts
I carry the typical tire associated spares, and this guy - a Cool Tool.

Likes For Brad L:
Old 07-21-20, 11:57 PM
bwilli88 
Not lost wanderer.

Bikes: In USA; 73 Raleigh Super Course dingle speed, 72 Raleigh Gran Sport SS, 72 Geoffry Butler, 81 Centurion Pro-Tour, 74 Gugie Grandier Sportier

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Quoted: 885 Post(s)
Liked 979 Times in 514 Posts

This all in my Acorn tool roll on my Centurion Pro-tour with a full frame pump

Last edited by bwilli88; 07-23-20 at 06:21 AM.
Old 07-22-20, 12:21 AM
bwilli88 
Not lost wanderer.

Bikes: In USA; 73 Raleigh Super Course dingle speed, 72 Raleigh Gran Sport SS, 72 Geoffry Butler, 81 Centurion Pro-Tour, 74 Gugie Grandier Sportier

All this on my flat bar go fast Fuji with a full sized frame pump

Last edited by bwilli88; 07-23-20 at 06:22 AM.
Old 07-22-20, 12:40 AM
bwilli88 
Not lost wanderer.

On my Giant Revel MTB with a mini frame pump.

Last edited by bwilli88; 07-23-20 at 06:22 AM.
Old 07-22-20, 05:37 AM
martl
Strong Walker

Bikes: too many

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 332 Post(s)
Liked 481 Times in 252 Posts
Originally Posted by squirtdad
on bikes with tubular tires i carry a multi tool, a tire lever (in case i cant get off by hand) and a patch kit (to help others if needed) with a spare tire under the smallest seat bag I can fit the above in

on bikes with clinchers I carry a multi tool, 2 spare tubes, tire levers, and a patch kit

also throw in little wipe packets
99% Exactly my setup
make sure the multi tool has a chain braker. For longer rides on tubulars, i carry a pocket-size sealant in addition to the obligatory spare tire, to give me more than one shot on a puncture.
I don't carry the wipes but a set of surgical latex gloves instead, they serve dual purpose as, um, gloves.I was caught in a thunderstorm with a 20deg temperature drop in the alps once, it is amazing how much warmer your hands stay when there is no evaporation chill.
Old 07-22-20, 08:50 AM
plonz 

Mentioned: 45 Post(s)
Quoted: 649 Post(s)
Liked 453 Times in 294 Posts
I’m not much on big packs and roadside repairs. 1 tube, 2 levers, CO2 cartridge and inflater. Most importantly, a cell phone for when I need one of those tools everyone else carries
Likes For plonz:
Old 07-22-20, 09:26 AM
squirtdad

Bikes: Kirk Custom JK Special, '84 Team Miyata,(dura ace old school) 80?? SR Semi-Pro 600 Arabesque

Mentioned: 104 Post(s)
Quoted: 2304 Post(s)
Liked 2,741 Times in 1,499 Posts
fun thread....and I got a coupled of ideas....add quick links and gloves I should also note that I keep a kit on each bike, including a pump on each bike, helps me not forget things. the bike that I put most miles on has the multitool with the chain breaker.... I would switch that if needed

Old 07-22-20, 09:33 AM
Oldairhead 
RUSA #3100

Bikes: Yes

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 234 Post(s)
Liked 486 Times in 178 Posts

This is my favorite tool roll, the "Mopha" tool roll, very simple and versatile. Put whatever you want into it. I tailor mine to the specific bike it's on, with specific wrench sizes for that bike, a tube and patch kit, tire boot, zip ties, sometimes a multi tool. I add an inflator if there is no frame pump and maybe a spare cable for longer rides. It attaches securely with a strap under the seat and is easy to get off. Instantly rolls open to access everything as opposed digging in a seat bag. Lots of online sources for purchase. Randonneur approved!

https://www.blessthisstuff.com/stuff...pha-tool-roll/
Old 07-22-20, 10:01 AM
cyccommute 
Mad bike riding scientist

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Mentioned: 150 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6147 Post(s)
Liked 4,093 Times in 2,325 Posts
Originally Posted by Brad L
I carry the typical tire associated spares, and this guy - a Cool Tool.

Best bicycle multi-tool ever! I have about a dozen of them, although I don’t really carry them now. I’m currently using the second best multi-tool which is the Fix-it-Stick system

Here’s my current kit. I carry it most of the time but it really was developed for backcountry mountain biking. I carry two different sized of tubes for road and mountain, a piece of Tyvek envelope (from the Post Office), and a bunch of other stuff.

I carry a fire starter and cotton balls with Vaseline in a film canister. (“What’s a film canister?” asks every person under 30). I’ve been caught out without the means of making fire and never again.

I also carry a small flashlight because I’ve been caught out without a light (same ride). I had a light but it was a squeezy light and your hand starts to cramp after only a few minutes of squeezing it.

Gold Fever Three days of dirt in Colorado
Pokin' around the Poconos A cold ride around Lake Erie
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Solo Without Pie. The search for pie in the Midwest.
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!

Likes For cyccommute:
Old 07-22-20, 10:04 AM
tyler_fred

Bikes: American, Italian, and Japanese.. in no particular order.

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 350 Post(s)
Liked 275 Times in 128 Posts
DIY tool roll includes..
spare tire
multi-tool
tire levers
clean rags
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
IMG_1961.jpg (1.11 MB, 214 views)
Old 07-22-20, 10:06 AM
cyccommute 
Mad bike riding scientist

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Mentioned: 150 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6147 Post(s)
Liked 4,093 Times in 2,325 Posts
Originally Posted by plonz
Most importantly, a cell phone for when I need one of those tools everyone else carries
Don’t get far from home, huh? I can find places within less than 30 miles from my home where cell phone service is nonexistent...and I live in a largish city. I also tour by bicycle and calling in the cavalry when you are 200 to 2000 miles away from home just isn’t an option.
Gold Fever Three days of dirt in Colorado
Pokin' around the Poconos A cold ride around Lake Erie
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Solo Without Pie. The search for pie in the Midwest.
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!

Old 07-22-20, 11:56 AM
gugie 
Bike Butcher of Portland

Bikes: It's complicated.

Mentioned: 1299 Post(s)
Quoted: 4670 Post(s)
Liked 5,769 Times in 2,272 Posts
Really liking the custom rolls people are making to fit their needs.
Old 07-22-20, 12:03 PM
bargo68 
Dedicated Detritus Dodger

Bikes: Some mighty fine ones at that!

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 191 Post(s)
Liked 603 Times in 247 Posts
The daily driver. I have a matching Acorn handlebar bag in front that carries wallet, phone, wind jacket, Covid mask, snacks and Lezyne mini pump.
The tool roll:

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.