Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Garmin Connect alt?

Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Garmin Connect alt?

Old 07-25-20, 08:34 AM
sdmc530
Heft On Wheels

Bikes: Specialized,Cannondale,Argon 18

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 887 Post(s)
Liked 560 Times in 346 Posts
Garmin Connect alt?

What are my options for Garmin Connect alternative? I don't mine an affordable pay program either. With Garmin down I feel like I need a back up or something for when this happens.

What is a good program you all are using?
thanks!
Old 07-25-20, 09:03 AM
Steve B.

Bikes: Flyxii FR322, Cannondale Topstone, Miyata City Liner, Specialized Chisel, Specialized Epic Evo

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 3185 Post(s)
Liked 2,020 Times in 1,158 Posts
Originally Posted by sdmc530
What are my options for Garmin Connect alternative? I don't mine an affordable pay program either. With Garmin down I feel like I need a back up or something for when this happens.

thanks!
I've been using RideWithGPS ever since I started using a Garmin. When Connect is operational, it's a direct sync of completed rides, so all my activities are backed up. As well and when using the iQ app for RWGPS, it's a direct route download to my Garmin, so routes I create on RWGPS are easy to get for navigation on my Edge. RWGPS has some free features, I like it enough to subscribe.

With Garmin down for the count, it's easy enough to connect my 1030 via data USB cable to my Win10 laptop, look at the Garmin as a drive, go to Activities and grab the .FIT files for upload to RWGPS (alternately you can just save the file on a PC drive as backup). My last 3 completed rides have been uploaded to RWGPS this way, you can do the same if you want to use Strava. I also used this method (USB cable) to download to the device, some created routed I intend to use this week in Maine.
Likes For Steve B.:
Old 07-25-20, 11:27 AM
sdmc530
Heft On Wheels

Originally Posted by Steve B.
I've been using RideWithGPS ever since I started using a Garmin. When Connect is operational, it's a direct sync of completed rides, so all my activities are backed up. As well and when using the iQ app for RWGPS, it's a direct route download to my Garmin, so routes I create on RWGPS are easy to get for navigation on my Edge. RWGPS has some free features, I like it enough to subscribe.

With Garmin down for the count, it's easy enough to connect my 1030 via data USB cable to my Win10 laptop, look at the Garmin as a drive, go to Activities and grab the .FIT files for upload to RWGPS (alternately you can just save the file on a PC drive as backup). My last 3 completed rides have been uploaded to RWGPS this way, you can do the same if you want to use Strava. I also used this method (USB cable) to download to the device, some created routed I intend to use this week in Maine.
thanks!

I want something that I can load like this when Garmin won't sync with anything else. I dumped Strava but Ride with GPS sounds like a great option. going to check it our right now!
Old 07-25-20, 11:31 AM
pdlamb

Bikes: Fuji Touring, Novara Randonee

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 2578 Post(s)
Liked 1,901 Times in 1,193 Posts
Golden Cheetah has more bells and whistles than I know what to do with; it's on your computer, so you don't have to worry about a web site going down; and it's free.

Of course, since you've got all your ride data on your GPS, you could just wait until Garmin comes back up. Call it your recovery week.
Likes For pdlamb:
Old 07-25-20, 11:55 AM
texbiker

Bikes: Cervelo Caledonia Rival AXS eTap, Blue Norcross AL, Lynskey Helix

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 107 Post(s)
Liked 103 Times in 81 Posts
I use RideWithGPS.com free version to backup my rides and also Golden Cheetah on my desktop computer. My main program is SportTracks.mobi which I pay for. I use a Wahoo Bolt so Garmin Connect is not a place I upload to. In the past when I used Garmin I used Connect but that has been a number of years ago. Another is Relive.cc free version.
Likes For texbiker:
Old 07-25-20, 12:52 PM
sdmc530
Heft On Wheels

thanks for the guidance!!
Old 07-25-20, 01:04 PM
fourfa

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 86 Post(s)
Liked 51 Times in 35 Posts
I use Strava; there's a way to upload directly to Strava via a laptop pulling .fit files from the Garmin device, no Connect needed
Old 07-25-20, 01:23 PM
unterhausen
Randomhead

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 3,664 Times in 2,497 Posts
For the rides I wanted to save, I used to hook my garmin up with a usb cable and just copy them from the garmin/activities folder onto my computer. Should be able to do that with any computer, I know it works for Windows and linux.
Likes For unterhausen:
Old 07-25-20, 01:26 PM
sdmc530
Heft On Wheels

So I did two.....did a online version, Ride with GPS, was using that for some route planning already so that was easy. BUT I wanted on off line system too and downloaded Golden Cheetah. Boy GC is a really good program. I might just use that now instead of connect. I like its off line and man its really good with the data. My data junky brain is a lather right now!
Old 07-25-20, 01:32 PM
unterhausen
Randomhead

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 3,664 Times in 2,497 Posts
GC was a bit much for me, maybe I should try it again. I just have a folder where I save the rides. There are fit file viewers.
Likes For unterhausen:
Old 07-25-20, 02:32 PM
RiceAWay

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 319 Post(s)
Liked 112 Times in 81 Posts
On Bike Radar they announced that the Garmin site was really down and it wasn't some sort of glitch in your software. Wonder when it will be back?
Likes For RiceAWay:
Old 07-25-20, 03:41 PM
sdmc530
Heft On Wheels

Originally Posted by unterhausen
GC was a bit much for me, maybe I should try it again. I just have a folder where I save the rides. There are fit file viewers.
I am not sure who made it or why, or even how they are being compensated for it but its well done IMO. If your a data junkie its good. If you want a basic simple program maybe not the best but I really like it.

The creator was a great person who cared about cycling for sure!
Old 07-25-20, 03:42 PM
sdmc530
Heft On Wheels

Originally Posted by RiceAWay
On Bike Radar they announced that the Garmin site was really down and it wasn't some sort of glitch in your software. Wonder when it will be back?

no they have all but come out and said it was ransomware. hopefully soon though...….
Old 07-25-20, 04:37 PM
Hiro11

Bikes: 2022 Specialized Allez Sprint custom build, 2019 Giant Defy Advanced Pro 0, 2018 Seven Mudhoney Pro custom build, 2017 Raleigh Stuntman, various others

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 782 Post(s)
Liked 475 Times in 238 Posts
Manual upload to Strava.
Old 07-25-20, 05:10 PM
Marcus_Ti
FLIR Kitten to 0.05C

Bikes: Roadie: Seven Axiom Race Ti w/Chorus 11s. CX/Adventure: Carver Gravel Grinder w/ Di2

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 2349 Post(s)
Liked 406 Times in 254 Posts
Originally Posted by sdmc530

thanks!
It comes down to what you want the most of:
Simple ride tracking and routing? RWGPS or Komoot
Facebook for bikes? Strava
Fitness/training tracking with lots of metrics? TrainingPeaks
Likes For Marcus_Ti:
Old 07-25-20, 06:03 PM
surak

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix, Canyon Inflite AL SLX, Ibis Ripley AF, Priority Continuum Onyx, Santana Vision, Kent Dual-Drive Tandem

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 871 Post(s)
Liked 725 Times in 436 Posts
I love Golden Cheetah, even though I use (and know how to use) maybe 1% of its capabilities.

I started a 60 days free trial of Strava premium just to see what I was missing and boy was I underwhelmed by what they consider their fitness features.

RideWithGPS has been solid for collecting rides but I never used it as such when I also had my rides synced to Strava and Garmin Connect.
Likes For surak:
Old 07-26-20, 01:54 AM
Bill in VA

Bikes: Current: 2016 Bianchi Volpe; 1973 Peugeot UO-8. Past: 1974 Fuji S-10-S with custom black Imron paint by Stinsman Racing of PA.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 215 Post(s)
Liked 204 Times in 142 Posts
It is also affecting the Garmin Express app for updating maps and systems used on the Auto, Marine, and handheld GPS units.
Likes For Bill in VA:
Old 07-26-20, 04:55 AM
sdmc530
Heft On Wheels

Originally Posted by Bill in VA
It is also affecting the Garmin Express app for updating maps and systems used on the Auto, Marine, and handheld GPS units.
I bet the aviation folks are the most left in the dark. that would be a bit of a critical product for them.
Old 07-26-20, 10:34 AM
rosefarts
With a mighty wind

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1073 Post(s)
Liked 841 Times in 475 Posts
I did a manual upload to Strava and it was very easy.

I don't give 2 ****s about Garmin, I just use them to link to Strava. I do wish that I could connect my Garmin it without their website and through Bluetooth. I'm not home every day and I certainly don't bring my computer camping or on trips, so I do find this annoying.

My Strava is set to private, I don't engage in the competitive side of it, I just like the way it orders my stats from rides.

Big G is usually several thousand feet off in calculating elevation gain. Once downloaded to Strava it's correct. I don't know if Golden Cheetah or something that just displays GPS data and doesn't necessarily run it through a database of similar known rides would do that.
Likes For rosefarts:
Old 07-26-20, 12:50 PM
rosefarts
With a mighty wind

I just discovered that you can upload to Strava from a phone if you have a USB adapter for the charger. Like what you'd get if you have a newer Apple.

You just have to use the Strava website and not the app, works perfectly. This is a decent workaround since I probably have my charging cable anyway and the adapter is really small.
Old 07-26-20, 01:15 PM
Thomas15
I think I know nothing.

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 233 Post(s)
Liked 290 Times in 204 Posts
The only reason I use Garmin Connect is to allow my HRM data to upload to Strava.

I belong to a club that has as one of it's perks free mebership to RWGPS. The club rides are on that platform. I have been fooling around with making my own routes then exporting to my Garmin. At least in my experience, making rides to upload to the GPS is easier on Strava than it is in RWGPS. For me at least, in RWGPS making routes is a little bit finicky. But that might be my computers.
Old 07-26-20, 01:35 PM
surak

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix, Canyon Inflite AL SLX, Ibis Ripley AF, Priority Continuum Onyx, Santana Vision, Kent Dual-Drive Tandem

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 871 Post(s)
Liked 725 Times in 436 Posts
Originally Posted by rosefarts
I don't know if Golden Cheetah or something that just displays GPS data and doesn't necessarily run it through a database of similar known rides would do that.
Golden Cheetah supports elevation correction. It's not automatic, but I rarely need it since my (and any decent) bike computer uses a barometric altimeter to calculate elevation changes.
Old 07-26-20, 02:11 PM
bruce19

Bikes: CAAD 12, MASI Gran Criterium S, Colnago World Cup CX & Guru steel

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1722 Post(s)
Liked 1,272 Times in 734 Posts
Originally Posted by fourfa
I use Strava; there's a way to upload directly to Strava via a laptop pulling .fit files from the Garmin device, no Connect needed
I'm doing this from my desk top. Works like a charm.
Old 07-26-20, 02:45 PM
rosefarts
With a mighty wind

Originally Posted by surak
Golden Cheetah supports elevation correction. It's not automatic, but I rarely need it since my (and any decent) bike computer uses a barometric altimeter to calculate elevation changes.
Its a well known and documented problem with Garmin, I think across the product line but certainly on their watches.

I don't know how they calculate it, probably just GPS data. It seems accurate on the fly, but too frequently I'll finish a big ride of maybe 5000' and my watch is telling me it's 8500'.

Just the other day I did a mountain bike ride of 1200' climbing, it was mostly a descent. Garmin had me at 5500'.

Strava corrects this instantly.

My last ride was with a friend of my wife. She wasn't what I'd call a speed demon. I spent about half of the ride sitting and waiting. During that time, I noticed the elevation change (while not moving) as much as 75'. So it seems like it's counting all of it's adjustments.

I honestly don't mind the inaccuracies of GPS but it does show how important it is to have a program that can automatically correct data.