Search
Notices
Singlespeed & Fixed Gear "I still feel that variable gears are only for people over forty-five. Isn't it better to triumph by the strength of your muscles than by the artifice of a derailer? We are getting soft...As for me, give me a fixed gear!"-- Henri Desgrange (31 January 1865 - 16 August 1940)

Bars?

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-20, 09:48 AM
Miele Man

Bikes: iele Latina, Miele Suprema, Miele Uno LS, Miele Miele Beta, MMTB, Bianchi Model Unknown, Fiori Venezia, Fiori Napoli, VeloSport Adamas AX

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1324 Post(s)
Liked 927 Times in 640 Posts
Originally Posted by TugaDude
Thanks for the clarification.
No problem.

What surprised me with that 12" handlebar was how much control I had with it. It was a LOT MORE than I expected.

Cheers
Old 07-24-20, 10:54 AM
TejanoTrackie 
Veteran Racer

Bikes: 32 frames + 80 wheels

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 1331 Post(s)
Liked 764 Times in 431 Posts
I like this kind of bar

Originally Posted by Dcv
I'd like to think i have as much money as brains.
I see the light at the end of the tunnel, but the tunnel keeps getting longer - me
Old 07-25-20, 03:08 PM
ofajen
Cheerfully low end

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 646 Post(s)
Liked 1,044 Times in 667 Posts
I’ve got some old GB drop bars on the road-ish bike and Scott AT-4 Pro on the 26er.

Otto

Last edited by ofajen; 07-28-20 at 04:39 PM.
Old 07-27-20, 01:46 PM
Dylansbob 
2k miles from the midwest

Bikes: ~'75 Colin Laing, '80s Schwinn SuperSport 650b, ex-Backroads ti project...

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 525 Post(s)
Liked 931 Times in 446 Posts
AT4's rock. I had one on my first fixed gear in '99.
Old 07-27-20, 08:32 PM
ofajen
Cheerfully low end

Originally Posted by Dylansbob
AT4's rock. I had one on my first fixed gear in '99.
I guess they are obsolete but I‘ve always liked them!

Got a Gary Fisher Montare in 1993 from a guy working at a local shop. It had the 21” width of AT-4 pro bars w/ the aero parts chopped off. Even so, good positions for braking, climbing, cruising and perhaps my favorite grip and position for riding out of the saddle. Now I also have a complete version in the wider 23” width so it has the aero option, but not sure which I actually prefer overall.

Great as a sort of aggressive trekking bar. I mostly ride road, gravel and wide, easy trails, nothing technical, so it’s a great fit for my rides.

Otto

Last edited by ofajen; 07-27-20 at 08:35 PM.
Old 07-28-20, 09:51 AM
frankenmike 
mechanically sound

Bikes: Indy Fab steel deluxe, Aventon cordoba, S-works stumpy fsr, Masi vincere, Dahon mu uno, Outcast 29 commuter

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 100 Post(s)
Liked 84 Times in 53 Posts
Quite possibly the nerdiest looking bars and I’m thinking of going back to bullhorns, but man these H-bars are so fun and comfy.

Old 07-28-20, 05:09 PM
Gresp15C

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1062 Post(s)
Liked 665 Times in 421 Posts
All of my bikes have swept bars. Some types that I've used:

Origin8 Citi Classic
Velo Orange Tourist
Close-out aluminum bar from Niagra Cycle
Old Schwinn steel bar
FSA Metropolis

Widths vary, but not by a lot. Some of these were online deals, rather than resulting from deep research.

I'm not trying to get in between trucks and buses in NYC, and in any event, my bars don't need to be any narrower than my arse. Bar width has never been an issue in the relatively tame traffic of a mid sized Midwestern town. I'm not going on any group rides, so I don't have specific equipment requirements, and it's all about comfort and control.
Old 07-28-20, 06:54 PM
ofajen
Cheerfully low end

Originally Posted by Gresp15C
All of my bikes have swept bars. Some types that I've used:

Origin8 Citi Classic
Velo Orange Tourist
Close-out aluminum bar from Niagra Cycle
Old Schwinn steel bar
FSA Metropolis
I have the Sunlite Elson Roadster, a swept bar that is a basically a copy of the Nitto Albatross shape but a heavier steel bar. I tried it on my MTB, but the frame is pretty small for me, so it’s tough to use a sufficiently long stem to get it forward enough for my liking.

OTOH, It’s a very good shape. I like the range of positions it allows if you use grips and then tape everything forward of the brake levers.

Otto
Old 07-28-20, 11:53 PM
Gresp15C

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1062 Post(s)
Liked 665 Times in 421 Posts
Originally Posted by ofajen
I have the Sunlite Elson Roadster, a swept bar that is a basically a copy of the Nitto Albatross shape but a heavier steel bar. I tried it on my MTB, but the frame is pretty small for me, so it’s tough to use a sufficiently long stem to get it forward enough for my liking.

OTOH, It’s a very good shape. I like the range of positions it allows if you use grips and then tape everything forward of the brake levers.

Otto
I'll admit that much as I love swept bars, I'm not a MTB'er, and would be nervous about recommending them for MTB use. I don't know the correct terminology, but I've taken all of my bikes on "easy" MTB trails, and when the trail is bumpy, the bike has a tendency to "buck" from front to back. At one point, I nearly lost my grip of the bar, which would have been a problem. I can see why the MTB'ers prefer straight bars, or bars with minimal sweep, from the standpoint of maintaining grip when the bike is going crazy under you.

Steel bar isn't an altogether bad thing, as it does take up some of the harshness, like what they say about steel frames.

Of course we rode swept-bar bikes all over the place as kids, but that was before MTB'ing made it to our neck of the woods, so an off road trail was just whatever it happened to be, and was not designed to require special riding skills. And if the terrain was impossible, you got off and portaged the bike. It's one thing to have a general purpose bike that can be taken off road, and quite another to ride a real mountain bike.
Old 07-29-20, 06:05 AM
ofajen
Cheerfully low end

Originally Posted by Gresp15C
I'll admit that much as I love swept bars, I'm not a MTB'er, and would be nervous about recommending them for MTB use. I don't know the correct terminology, but I've taken all of my bikes on "easy" MTB trails, and when the trail is bumpy, the bike has a tendency to "buck" from front to back. At one point, I nearly lost my grip of the bar, which would have been a problem. I can see why the MTB'ers prefer straight bars, or bars with minimal sweep, from the standpoint of maintaining grip when the bike is going crazy under you.
Agreed. Used in the way I suggest, it’s more of a trekking bar with a big range of back to front riding positions. I’ve switched back to my Scott AT-4s that offer roughly the same forward and lateral positions but keep a more typical straight bar MTB braking position that seems more stable in hard braking and maneuvering.

I did give up the more upright position in the grips, but that’s not really so useful for my rides.

Otto
Old 07-30-20, 01:37 PM
Philasteve

Bikes: Surly CreamRoller. 98 Giant Rincon. SE UVT

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 9 Posts
I was using like 24" riser bars and switched to these in 40cm like a year ago. And have been enjoying them a lot more, probably won't put riser bars back on for awhile. https://www.somafab.com/archives/product/highway-1-bar
Old 08-02-20, 03:43 PM
ofajen
Cheerfully low end

I’ve used this setup before and really like it. I put my Scott bar ends back on the AT-4s where they were chopped, so now I still have an aero position.

Very handy because today I decided to convert it back to a single speed! The aero position helps me deal with headwinds!

Otto