Notices
Classic and Vintage Bicycles: Whats it Worth? Appraisals. Use this subforum for all requests as to "How much is this vintage bike worth?"Do NOT try to sell it in here, use the Marketplaces.

Vintage Trek 412

Old 07-29-20, 11:16 PM
madpogue 

Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2350 Post(s)
Liked 1,727 Times in 1,179 Posts
Originally Posted by anotherbike
In one post its an entry level bike, now its a beautiful frame? Which is it?
Both. Even the entry-level Treks were hand-built, handsome frames. Still doesn't make it worth the ask.

Here's its slightly younger sibling, appears to be an '82, a few improvements (brake cable braze-ons, better brake levers, etc), still a COVID-tax price, but at least a little more approachable. Last year, this bike would've had trouble fetching $150:

https://madison.craigslist.org/bik/d...160686513.html

Vintage Trek late 70's early 80's 10 speed bike - $275 (Madison)

Old 07-30-20, 03:11 AM
27inch
vintage rider

Bikes: 1937 Roadmaster, 1972 Schwinn Typhoon, 1972 Raleigh Sports

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 8 Posts
Here's a shot of one of mine, the bike hasn't been ridden in 20 years but its still complete. The rims got changed out in the late 80's when the spoke holes started to show cracks on the Rigida rims, I think these are just Matrix or Trek house brand rims, they're bronze or black anodized but look the part, the replacement hubs we used were what came on the bike, they were unbranded, but looked like Campy Nuovo Record copies of some sort. Maybe Miche? The bike spec'd out Sunshine Gyro but its not what it came with new. The new rims took schrader valve stems, the originals were presta. I didn't mind the upgrade. presta valves are a royal pain.
The cranks are the same as those on the bike above, the top of my crank arms say 'Silstar', the chain rings are steel. It originally had a chainguard ring on it, I tossed it years ago. The pedals are cheap rat trap steel off an old Raleigh, its what I had when the SR pedals died. The original SR pedals were awkward things, they were short, and odd shaped, I never liked them much and anything was an improvement. The dust caps were originally red, but I broke one servicing the crank bearings and these were all the local bike shop had at the time.
The pic is scanned from an old Polaroid, it was taken around 1988 or so, about the time I moved to PA. I had taken a bunch of pics and posted them at work on the bulletin board back then with a note I wanted to sell it, I think I got almost what I paid for it because the new Trek bikes had gone up so much, it was easy to get good money for the older one's.

The Silstar cranks looked a lot like what was on the Raleigh Super Course and Motobecane GJ, sans the custom script label.
I've seen a few 412 bikes around with Takagi Tourney cranks too, I don't know whether they were sold that way or not but I've seen too many for it to be just coincidence. A google search for a 1980 Trek 412 turns up dozens of bikes with the same cranks. Very few still have their Rigida rims it seems. I seem to remember you had to jump pretty far up the line up in most brands to get anything really high end.

Here's one that just sold on fleabay:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Barn-Find-Rare-Ishiwata-022-Trek
This bike is missing the seat post, and saddle, also has non original rims, and it brought $458 in that condition.
The bike the OP asked about is complete, appears to be original except for the wheels and is likely ridable the way it is.
Seeing what something like this just brought, I don't think $400 or $450 is all that far off.
Would I want to pay that for a used bike, probably not, but there are plenty out there who will without hesitation.
Missing paint and wear is par for the course with most used bikes, especially on the east coast. Things rust, bikes get stored outside on the sidewalk chained to a railing for years on end, or stored in barns, chicken coops, or if your lucky a garage.
Perfect only comes one way, New in the box, a bike that sat in some dealer's warehouse for 40 years forgotten and unsold. They do pop up from time to time, but they're rarely cheap. eBay has educated the dealers too these days.

There are plenty of deals, that '82 don't look that bad, but if the OP is looking for a bike in far southern NJ, that one is a 1000 or so mile drive. The bike in WI also says it needs inner tubes, so the owner likely hasn't done any recent maintenance on it either, so even if it were local, the OP would likely be looking at a set of tubes and tires, plus a full overhaul. The difference in price would be eaten up pretty quick. My lbs wants $80 plus tax for a pair of 27" tires and tubes, and those aren't anything special, figure more for something like Panaracer or Continental. Bikes are pricier in his area, and it gets worse the farther north you go towards NY or Phila. There's one in upper PA for the same price, but its not very clean, and likely needs a ton of work.
If the OP buys a bike that needs work for say $275, then has to buy tires, he's at $355, then figure a complete overhaul, both hubs, true both wheels, rebuild the BB, hs, and clean and polish the thing to make it look like it was cared for.
The sign at the LBS here says they charge $150 for a complete service, listing the BB, HS, hubs, and truing if needed. They don't clean, they don't polish. They don't fight with stuck stems, or stuck seat posts either it says.
I'm no pro, but the last bike I went over like that took me a day and a half, between tearing it down, cleaning every last bit, then repacking the hubs, re-tensioning the spokes and truing the wheels, and buffing the paint and all the polished bits back to their original shine, taking both calipers apart and polishing each arm, replacing all four cables, etc. It takes time and attention to detail to make it right.

When I look at the pics of that bike, I see a bike that's clean, regardless of any paint chips and such, its been cleaned and made to look presentable. The wheelset is likely a newer replacement set, even a cheap wheelset is $150+. Someone most likely just bought a ready made wheelset, something like this:
https://www.ebay.com/p/1231687250?iid=121091319860
Which is just fine for a bike like that. If they had gone and hunted down a new old stock wheelset, chances are the wheelset would cost more than the bike is worth and it still wouldn't be 'original'.

When I do a quick search on CL in the OP's area, assuming he's in NJ, I don't see anything any better listed, especially in a larger frame. There's a couple of larger Miyatas for $375 and $475, but both are a lot newer and likely not what the OP is after. Both are also 700c bikes and a a Mangusta? 26" frame, for $500 which is likely too tall. The surrounding area shows nothing at all in the 60cm or larger size in any better condition regardless of the grade or quality of bike.
There's a few newer bikes, later 80's Raleigh models but those are likely too new. Nearly all the bikes listed in his area are pretty rough looking, flat tires, years of dirt and dust, rusty bits, etc. Take a look at what's there and that Trek looks pretty good. I don't see much of anything under $400 regardless of size.
Old 07-30-20, 10:41 AM
madpogue 

Originally Posted by 27inch
My lbs wants $80 plus tax for a pair of 27" tires and tubes,
Ouch, I know the bike economy is in the stratosphere, but WOW! Tires on the level of those Bontragers, even 27s, shouldn't be hard to find in the $20-25 apiece range. I found one site with Paselas for $25 apiece. As for the overhaul / tune-up, that value depends on the buyer, whether he can DIY. And the $450 NJ bike has no information about what recent lubrication, etc. work was done. I would make no assumptions

But you raise a good point, with the tires. The OP's wheel/tire size restriction will have a big impact on what is available, and thusly, what prices to expect. Opening up the option of a 700C-equipped bike will make that issue go away, esp since a lot of the 27-inch bikes of that era have since been refitted with 700s. Finding good fresh tires for a 700C-equipped bike will be a lot less of a challenge. The old adage, "be careful what you ask for", comes to mind.
Old 07-30-20, 11:48 AM
SurferRosa
señor miembro

Bikes: '70s - '80s Campagnolo

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Quoted: 3846 Post(s)
Liked 6,437 Times in 3,183 Posts
He doesn't give up, does he? Going back his an alias account to confirm all the misinformation.

What was the end goal here? An attempt to sell his bike to folks that know far more about Treks than he does?

Wackier than anything in the Wacky thread.
Likes For SurferRosa:
Old 07-30-20, 01:49 PM
TugaDude

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 586 Post(s)
Liked 612 Times in 447 Posts
If someone has multiple accounts, I'm sure the moderators can sort it out and eliminate one, the other or perhaps both. All it takes is a look at the IP address.
Old 07-30-20, 02:36 PM
anotherbike

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by madpogue
Ouch, I know the bike economy is in the stratosphere, but WOW! Tires on the level of those Bontragers, even 27s, shouldn't be hard to find in the $20-25 apiece range. I found one site with Paselas for $25 apiece. As for the overhaul / tune-up, that value depends on the buyer, whether he can DIY. And the $450 NJ bike has no information about what recent lubrication, etc. work was done. I would make no assumptions

But you raise a good point, with the tires. The OP's wheel/tire size restriction will have a big impact on what is available, and thusly, what prices to expect. Opening up the option of a 700C-equipped bike will make that issue go away, esp since a lot of the 27-inch bikes of that era have since been refitted with 700s. Finding good fresh tires for a 700C-equipped bike will be a lot less of a challenge. The old adage, "be careful what you ask for", comes to mind.
The bike shops near me don't carry 27", and all they seem to have access to is the cheapest gumwall tires. A few even want to charge 'shipping' to order a pair of tires they don't stock. There's a Trek store about an hour from me, the last time I was in there last fall they told me Trek/Bontrager dropped the 27" tires. I wasn't sure if that was true or if they just didn't want to be bothered ordering them. If you order tires online, there's shipping AND sales tax as well. then add in tubes and rim strips. Figure $50 for two tires, plus another $20 for tubes and rims strips, plus shipping and sales tax, and your right at the $80 mark anyhow, although maybe with a slightly better tire. I generally avoid bike shops these days, most don't keep anything I can afford and most don't sell parts these days and the few that do don't have anything of any use to me. Years ago, you could walk into a bike shop, take your old parts with you and walk out with what you came for. Now they tell you to go look on eBay.

To convert a bike like that Trek to 700C, it would mean having to hunt down a pair of vintage long reach calipers, which would likely mean paying top dollar to some eBay seller. If your lucky, you find something new old stock, if not, your looking at rebuilding a pair of old calipers.
The bike with two new wheels, of the right size is a lot more appealing to me than one with the wrong size wheels, and wrong calipers.
Old 07-30-20, 03:40 PM
madpogue 

^^^^ All the more reason that the 27" restriction is such a limiting factor.
Old 07-30-20, 05:44 PM
vintagebicycle

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 74 Post(s)
Liked 73 Times in 48 Posts
I wouldn't consider 27" a restriction, a quick look at my catalog here and I see three ready built 27" wheelsets, prices range from $99 for a cheap Chinese steel set, to just over $200. There are no 700C road wheelsets below $250.
What I see as the middle or upper priced 27" set would be fine on just about any 27" bike, either would be at least equal to what it came with, although the upper end set is likely spaced at 135mm. The two upper sets use Sun rims, the one at $220 lists CR18 rims, the other doesn't specify.
The original wheelset on an early Trek 412 was usually Rigida 1320 rims with early, adjustable cone Sunshine Gyro low flange hubs, but I agree, during those days, substitutions when it came to various components was common due to high demand. Most bikes advertised the rear derailleur model, but many didn't specify the front. I also suppose manufacturers selling a bike to the masses likely would shy away from ultra light fragile parts. (Several aluminum cage front derailleurs come to mind off hand).

The Rigida 1320 was a soft rim, it wasn't a bad rim but there were lots of better choices back then for a bike that was likely going to be ridden on your average road here. I can't speak for all parts of the country, but most of the roads where I road back around that time were a mix between dirt, loose gravel, and oil and stone pavement. Only the main highways were concrete or smooth asphalt. It wasn't until the mid 80's or so when they started ripping up the oiled base roads and putting down smooth asphalt.
If you ever road on oil and stone roads, he know how hard it is to ride on, and how many flats it causes. The chipped stone they put down was at first like riding on loose gravel, then once it packed down, it was rough with lots of tiny sharp rocks embedded in the road. Narrow, high pressure tires didn't stand a chance. The problem nowadays is that many of those road that were paved with asphalt in the 80's are now in really bad shape, with lots of pot holes, lumpy patches, and open cracks.
A bike running an inch wide tire doesn't stand a chance. .
Years ago we replaced several of those Rigida rims every week for cracks, lost spoke eyelets, flat spots and even sidewall blow out. They weren't rim that instilled confidence when you pumped up a 1" tire to 135 psi. They also weren't a good choice for a larger rider. Very few bike owners wanted us to replace them with the same rim.

The 412 wasn't a low end model, it was just Trek's lowest cost model. By 1980, Trek had dropped its entry level models and for a while the 512 was the lowest cost bike they had. A guy who wanted a 'cheap' bike didn't go looking at a Trek, they bought Columbia, Ross, Nishiki, or any of the steel wheel Japanese bikes that were around then. The 412 was a good bike, I never remember any issues with that frame and thousands were sold. It was an excellent riding bike in that the geometry was a bit more relaxed and occasional riders took well to it. A group that likely accounted for likely 99% of all bike sales back then. I can count on one hand how many guys came in who were 'serious' riders back then, most were just buying a bike to ride, color and style meant more than form and function. The shop I was at back then sold a slew of brands, Trek was just one many. We likely sold 200 cheap, steel wheel Peugeot A08 or U08 bikes to every one Trek. Even Ross and Columbia out sold Trek. It wasn't a reflection on Trek, but it did show how people thought and spent their cash. Most didn't care if it said Trek or anything else on the headbadge so long as it had drop bars and looked good. Trek bikes that were on the floor ready to sell often sat there for weeks or months before that one person came in the door who wanted at better bike, then the problem was that those same people tended to look right past Trek, a new comer back then, and go for the upper end Raleigh or Motobecane for a few more dollars. Trek hadn't made a name for itself yet so there wasn't a huge cult following back in those days. So like many of the lesser known brands, they were a bit slower moving when it came to sales. As they gained recognition and a few magazines took notice sales become more frequent. Most of us never thought they would survive back in the day. If brands like Raleigh, Motobecane, Schwinn, and Peugeot hadn't faltered so bad in later years, I'm not so sure Trek would have become the well known brand there did.
Old 07-30-20, 08:23 PM
nlerner

Mentioned: 480 Post(s)
Quoted: 3788 Post(s)
Liked 6,573 Times in 2,580 Posts

Sorry for the sideways pic, but here’s the receipt for my Trek 412, purchased new in 1982.
Old 07-31-20, 02:43 AM
anotherbike

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 2 Posts
If you go by the inflation calculators online, that $390 is about $1200 in today's money.
I guess bike shops charged what they wanted back then, I do know there were big differences in prices between the big high volume shops in the city and the local shops. The big places were almost always cheaper but they weren't much on service or parts and if you bought there, the local shop wouldn't touch a bike bought somewhere else.

I went last night to see a bike I really didn't think was going to be worth my time, but for $400 cash I bought a Schwinn Varsity.
The guy used to own a Schwinn dealer years ago, he had 75 or so bikes there, all mint or near mint condition. The place was a shack in the middle nowhere. He was asking $600 in a local shopper paper but he let it go for less. It was kind of a strange place, way back down a back road and about half a mile off the road in the pines.
The Varsity is a 1974, its got original Schwinn Puff Gumwall tires in new condition, the original saddle, perfect chrome all over
and best of all its bright orange. The bike is a tad bit small for me, but the seat and stem can be raised enough to make it work. Besides, I won't likely ride it much, its more just to have then to ride. I wanted one of these since I was a kid. They were gone by the time I could afford one. Part of me still wants a Trek now though, this guy only had Schwinns.

The Trek was an easier riding bike, a lot lighter, probably by half or so. It also shifter nicer but I like the shifters up high like on this varsity. I can ride this without having to stretch and lean over to shift. I probably should have bought the Trek but I really wanted the Schwinn.

The paint looks faded in the pic but its actually bright and matches the bar wrap. My cell phone has problems with red tones for some reason:

Old 07-31-20, 06:48 AM
TugaDude

Tires from 1974 cannot be described as "new", condition or otherwise.
Old 07-31-20, 11:45 AM
nesteel 

Bikes: See the signature....

Mentioned: 76 Post(s)
Quoted: 549 Post(s)
Liked 188 Times in 112 Posts
$400 for a Varsity? Seller saw you comin' from a mile away.
Old 07-31-20, 12:57 PM
SurferRosa
señor miembro

Originally Posted by nesteel
$400 for a Varsity? Seller saw you comin' from a mile away.
Don't believe it. Guy's a troll with multiple personality disorder.
Old 07-31-20, 01:46 PM
27inch
vintage rider

I've got tires from the 50's on a few balloon tire bikes that are still good. I don't see why a set of Schwinn tires couldn't survive from '74.
If they were kept out of the sun and stored where they at least somewhat protected they could still be fine.
I've bought more than a dozen new old stock bikes over the past 20 years, only one came out of the box with tires that were degraded, and those were only showing very minor cracks in the gumwalls. I've got several pair of vintage IRC and CST tires that I wrapped up and bagged in the mid to late 80's for future use that are still like brand new as well. I had gotten a deal on them and packed them away by wrapping each tire with plastic and bagging them in pairs. I vacuumed out the air, and boxed them up. I used a pair a few months ago they're like brand new. I think UV light and avoiding exposing them to ozone from running motors and such is a big key to getting rubber to last.
Old 07-31-20, 03:46 PM
vintagebicycle

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 74 Post(s)
Liked 73 Times in 48 Posts
I think you all need to look around at what some of those old Schwinns are selling for these days, I sold a 23" Varsity a few months ago, it was ridable but not pretty and it went for $300. I put an ad up for $400 or Best Offer on FB, it was gone the same day. I could have sold a dozen of them. Like it or not, those heavy old tanks have a seriously strong following and likely the best brand recognition out there.

A quick search shows these just on eBay alone:

www.ebay.com/itm/VINTAGE-ORIGINAL-1970-CHICAGO-SCHWINN

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Shwinn-Varsity-Bicycle/254623040795

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1961-Schwinn-Varsity-10-speed
The last one here sold for $650, plus what ever they paid in shipping. its a bit older, but still a Varsity.
So $400 isn't any surprise. $250 to $300 for a common 70's model that's usually in need of a ton of work seems to be the norm lately.

Notice that most of the bikes selling online are not super clean or even ridable too. That bike the OP bought looks almost new.
It obviously led an easy life for the chrome bits to shine like that.
Would I have bought it myself for $400, probably not, but I'm also patient enough to wait for deal to come along.
When it does, I'm ready. If not, not big deal.

Those old Schwinn PUFF gum wall tires were around till the early 90's, they kept selling them unchanged till the end. There's likely a good chance that the tires on that bike was far younger than the bike, but still pretty much identical to the originals.

I've seen some vintage tires from the 30's that have survived, I've got my father's bike from when he was a teen in the 30's, its still got the tires on it that it had on it when I pulled it out of the loft in my grandfather's old barn in 1972, a set of Carlisle Lightning 26x2.125 black sidewall tires. They pumped up and held air. The rear tire is 'well worn' but still ridable. Ever so often I take it down off the rack and take it around the block, its even still got the original orange rubber tubes it likely came new with in the 1930's. And those tires have had no special care. They likely just didn't spend a ton of time out in the sun, and being a bike he rode on a farm, a healthy regular coating of mud may well have protect them over the years.

Like it or not, the Varsity and some of the older Schwinn models have sort of become the '57 Chevy of the bike world.
Everyone recognizes the name and model, everyone knows someone or were someone who grew up riding one, if not, they wanted one.
Nostalgia is a powerful thing, its driven every collector fad there's been over the years.

That Varsity the OP found looks to be pretty clean to me, any bike that's survived 45+ years in that shape is a rarity no matter what model or brand it is. I don't know how anyone can not see the value in a bike that's made it through the years that unscathed.

The OP certainly didn't come here to be berated, accused or mocked, it lookes to me like he just came here for some opinions on whether or not to buy a bike that may or may not be the right size.
What it is or what he's willing to pay is his business, but if he was the only one, these old bikes wouldn't be selling for the prices they are these days.
Old 07-31-20, 05:07 PM
SurferRosa
señor miembro

Damn. Three accounts?
Old 08-01-20, 09:12 AM
nlerner

Mentioned: 480 Post(s)
Quoted: 3788 Post(s)
Liked 6,573 Times in 2,580 Posts
Showing anything currently listed on eBay as an indication of "value" is really useless. Take a look at completed auctions to figure out what something did and didn't sell for:

--This one owner '72 Varsity sold for $147.50: https://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-197...e/154015532994
--This one got zero bids and didn't sell at $225: https://www.ebay.com/itm/Schwinn-Var...r/203055118419
--This one got zero bids and didn't sell at $87.50: https://www.ebay.com/itm/schwinn-var...s/373120312757
--This '74 Varsity sold for $132.50: https://www.ebay.com/itm/Schwinn-Var...4/324230643843

I'll stop there. You paid $400 for a Varsity?! Okay, then.
Old 08-01-20, 03:32 PM
kross57

Bikes: Miyata 710, Univega Viva Sport, Centurion LeMans, Peugeot U09

Quoted: 212 Post(s)
Liked 111 Times in 80 Posts
In my area all road bikes have seen a good COVID bump, but for the typical 70s Schwinn in decent shape that meant a jump from $75 to $150 or so. I'm sure the Schwinn collectors value certain models and years at a premium and survivor bikes in fantastic condition are worth whatever folks will pay.
Old 08-03-20, 08:10 AM
27inch
vintage rider

The box stores are sold out around here and don't seem to be restocking, several bike shops have closed up do to no inventory. I just red an article about one shop that was told they weren't going to see any new bikes till November or later and not to count on that. They chose to close up and call it quits.
Used bikes are going through he roof, especially if its a clean ready to ride or 'survivor' bike.
It doesn't matter what level the bike was, any name brand 'shop grade' bike is better than most would have gotten at Walmart or Target.
The few local shops that remain are sold out of everything, tires are gone, repair parts as scarce all of a sudden. I'm seeing low end models listed for $500 plus all over. I have no clue if anyone is getting them or not but I listed and sold a 1979 Schwinn Traveler II ladies model that looked like brand new two months ago for $400. I got a dozen nasty emails from those who replied after it sold, I got everything from people complaining I sold it too cheap, that's why it went so fast, to being cursed out for not letting them 'bid' on it instead.
I'm not sure what people are panic buying more, toilet paper or bicycles.
If I had found a Varsity as clean as the one the OP found, I'm not sure if I wouldn't have bought it myself. $400 may be a stretch but after 45 or more years, how many clean examples of those could have made it through the years that clean? Certainly not enough to go around to everyone who wants one. If you look back at the Stingray and Krate model craze a few years ago, some clean or restored examples were selling in the thousands. Before that it was balloon tire bikes.
The problem I saw with the 20" bike craze is that those bikes were basically un-ridable for an adult who owned them, at least a guy who buys a vintage Varsity can ride the thing, even if its only on occasion.
Old 08-03-20, 12:55 PM
TugaDude

Krate, yes...Varsity, no.
Old 08-03-20, 01:27 PM
TugaDude

Originally Posted by 27inch
I've got tires from the 50's on a few balloon tire bikes that are still good. I don't see why a set of Schwinn tires couldn't survive from '74.
If they were kept out of the sun and stored where they at least somewhat protected they could still be fine.
I've bought more than a dozen new old stock bikes over the past 20 years, only one came out of the box with tires that were degraded, and those were only showing very minor cracks in the gumwalls. I've got several pair of vintage IRC and CST tires that I wrapped up and bagged in the mid to late 80's for future use that are still like brand new as well. I had gotten a deal on them and packed them away by wrapping each tire with plastic and bagging them in pairs. I vacuumed out the air, and boxed them up. I used a pair a few months ago they're like brand new. I think UV light and avoiding exposing them to ozone from running motors and such is a big key to getting rubber to last.
Look, we're talking common sense here. If tires were new in 1974, they are now 46 years old. So they could not in any sense be called new. The best you could get away with is to say that they appear as they did when new. Even if stored in a humidor, I wouldn't expect those tires to behave "like new".