Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > BMX
Reload this Page >

Lightweight namebrand bikes

Search
Notices
BMX Dirt, vert, flatland or street? Drop in the BMX forum to talk to other 20" riders around the world. What is the best BMX bicycle for you? Learn all about it here.

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-17, 06:26 PM
Badzilla

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts

I need recommendations for lightweight namebrand BMX bikes. The lighter the better. Performance is secondary, but it needs to be sturdy enough to carry about 200 pounds while ordinary riding (not stunts or tricks). It can be less than 20" wheels, but 20" is probably best (my understanding is that 32+ spokes is important for good weight handling). I can spend roughly $500 on the bike.

SE Ripper X is Expensive, but only 16.5 pounds??? Double wall 32 hole rims.

Thanks.

FWIW...

It is for a homemade electric bike.

https://c2.staticflickr.com/4/3754/3...10b634a3_b.jpg

https://www.flickr.com/photos/27532210@N04

I added a drift trike front freewheeling pedal hub and matching steel fork with a powerful Dewalt cordless drill. The whole bike including one battery (for about 5 miles travel) weighs 31 pounds. For a longer trip, simply carry more batteries. It accelerates quickly. Top speed is in the 20 MPHs.

Judging by my prior version using a much weaker Dewalt drill, this one should last many years. It runs cool as a cucumber up to about 95°F. Over 95, after a few miles the gearcase gets very hot to the touch.

After much window shopping, I doubt there is an electric bike or kit that will keep the weight near 31 pounds (in reality). Currently I am looking for a lighter bike to decrease the weight. The front assembly might be increased from 18" to 20", but there is no hurry to do that (especially since it might increase the weight a little). I started with an 18" wheel to make sure there is enough torque. There is lots of torque.

The bike I used is an old model Mongoose Fireball. The frame is only 3.6 pounds. The Dewalt drill is a brushless DCD991.

Last edited by Badzilla; 08-18-17 at 07:46 AM. Reason: added information
Old 08-16-17, 10:06 PM
Badzilla

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Still looking.

Any suggestions for a lightweight 20 inch bike that can handle 200 pounds for normal riding?
The lighter the better. Can be up to about $500. I see bikes less than 20 pounds for about $300. Do they get any lighter after that price point?

For online purchase, Redline is about it? There is a "BMX guru" on eBay that sells many of them. Are the weight specifications accurate?

I might go with a 2017 Redline MX Expert 20". It is the (specified) same weight and $200 less than the 2017 Redline Proline Expert 20". All I really need is lightweight, and strong enough.

August 25: Ordered the MX. Will weigh it immediately upon delivery.

Thanks.

Last edited by Badzilla; 08-25-17 at 05:36 AM.
Old 08-17-17, 09:50 AM
pickettt

Bikes: DiamondBack Podium 7, Focus Raven 1.0, Ritchey BreakAway Cross, (2) Trek 8500, Paramount PDG 90, Trek T2000, Redline Flight Pro 24

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 160 Post(s)
Liked 57 Times in 33 Posts
Originally Posted by Badzilla
Still looking.

Any suggestions for a lightweight 20 inch bike that can handle 200 pounds for normal riding?
The lighter the better. Can be up to about $500. I see bikes less than 20 pounds for about $300. Do they get any lighter after that price point?

For online purchase, Redline is about it? There is a "BMX guru" on eBay that sells many of them. Are the weight specifications accurate?

I might go with a 2017 Redline MX Expert 20". It is the (specified) same weight and $200 less than the 2017 Redline Proline Expert 20". All I really need is lightweight, and strong enough.

Thanks.
I could be wrong, but weight/price and weight/strength are both inversely proportional. At 200 lbs., I wouldn't be looking to ride a 16 lb. bike. I'm 155 and a finesse rider and I wouldn't even try to lighten my 18lb. bike. That being said, if you can buy a 16 lb. bike for less than 500 bucks, jump on it. I mean buy it.....I wouldn't jump on it. Good luck in your search and be safe.
Old 08-17-17, 05:06 PM
DMC707

Bikes: Too many to list

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 1765 Post(s)
Liked 1,124 Times in 746 Posts
I have a custom built Supercross aluminum frameset built to race-- it weighs 22 pounds, costs around $1600

Claims of anything much lighter than that in a 3-$500 budget bicycle i take with a grain of salt unless its a skinny tired childs bmx mini

Those SE and Redline's you mentioned are likely closer to 25-28 pounds
Old 08-17-17, 08:33 PM
Badzilla

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I am asking the seller to confirm the weight on two of those bikes (2017 Redline MX Expert 20" and 2017 Redline Proline Expert 20") that are stated less than 18 pounds each. One is $200 more than the other and apparently has better parts, so seems strange that they both weigh the same.

On YouTube, I can find unboxing and review videos of practically every trivial thing in the world. But for some strange reason these bikes seem to not be there. Seems like someone would have posted about them on the Internet somewhere at some time.
Old 08-18-17, 12:24 AM
DMC707

Bikes: Too many to list

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 1765 Post(s)
Liked 1,124 Times in 746 Posts
Originally Posted by Badzilla
I am asking the seller to confirm the weight on two of those bikes (2017 Redline MX Expert 20" and 2017 Redline Proline Expert 20") that are stated less than 18 pounds each. One is $200 more than the other and apparently has better parts, so seems strange that they both weigh the same.

On YouTube, I can find unboxing and review videos of practically every trivial thing in the world. But for some strange reason these bikes seem to not be there. Seems like someone would have posted about them on the Internet somewhere at some time.
These are children's bikes --- The tires are 20 x 1 3/8 and the top tubes are short -- the Lil Ripper has 16" wheels even-- i found plenty of info on all these with a very quick search
Old 08-18-17, 08:29 AM
Badzilla

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I am no longer looking at 16" wheel bikes (edited out for my original post). The bike I have been using, an old model Mongoose Fireball 20" has a top tube that is 2" shorter than the 2017 Redline MX/Proline Expert 20". I added a long seatpost and high-rise handlebars to the Fireball and it works fine.

The 20" bikes I am looking at should work if they in fact weigh what the specs say they weigh. I just need something lighter. The Fireball frame is only 3.6 pounds, but apparently the components are heavy. And I am happy if the lack of fat tires reduces the weight, just like I replaced the stock Fireball tires.

Off-topic: I took the little Fireball 20" bike out for a spin today in 98°F weather. First time using GPS (no Internet) mapping with verbal directions. Even though it was steaming hot, the trip was a blast. About 14 miles round-trip using three 5 amp hour batteries.

I want to put the motor wheel assembly on a lighter bike, partly so it will be easier to carry down and up the stairs. The only requirement is a 1 1/8 inch head tube.

Last edited by Badzilla; 08-18-17 at 08:23 PM.
Old 08-19-17, 08:25 PM
Charliekeet

Bikes: S-Works Stumpjumper HT Disc, Fuji Absolute, Kona Jake the Snake, '85 Cannondale SR900

Quoted: 219 Post(s)
Liked 217 Times in 142 Posts
Sorry, not clear on exactly what you're trying to do, but FYI the Redline Proline Expert and things like that may indeed be 17 or 18 lbs, but that's because they're BMX *racing* bikes, so they're made of aluminum, and while they're very good, are meant to be light for the track...
and therefore not as durable as say, a full chromoly steel frame that BMXers would call a "street" frame (which, though I know you're not planning this use, can withstand impacts and drops).

As a >200 lb rider myself, I'd choose a high-quality, light but strong chromoly frame like the Standard 250L, or something from S&M/Fit, so that I could add my weight + the weight of all that machinery to it & be confident in it! :-)
Old 08-19-17, 09:54 PM
Badzilla

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I am barely savvy enough to understand the difference. But I would think that BMX racers stress their bikes too. I weigh 157, but sometimes the bike is used for carrying groceries. My concern about damage to the bike would be unseen potholes. Having a spring-loaded saddle (Serfas FS-CR) should help protect the frame on normal terrain. I suppose a stunt BMX bike would help protect against potholes, but I really need lightness. So I might take that chance. Also, I like the idea of having the lightest electric bike in the world, considering its function.

Thanks.
Old 08-20-17, 06:36 AM
Charliekeet

Bikes: S-Works Stumpjumper HT Disc, Fuji Absolute, Kona Jake the Snake, '85 Cannondale SR900

Quoted: 219 Post(s)
Liked 217 Times in 142 Posts
Cool. Also I forgot, I don't race, so idk the usual spoke count run and I'm sure someone familiar can chime in about that, but also I'd only want to ride on 36-spoke wheels. Plenty of strength and I've never had to true stuff up much.
Old 09-06-17, 05:11 PM
Badzilla

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
2017 Redline MX Expert 20"

complete bike (without included chainguard), featherweight seat, thin tires, only one brake, no gears

weight
claims 17 lbs. 9 oz.
actual weight 18 lbs. 5 oz.

Probably wasted money and effort with respect to weight, it might be as heavy. Should have approximated that ahead of time. The top tube is longer. It is new, and slightly better suited to my needs.

Now I get to figure out how to attach the 100 mm (center bearing to center bearing) pedal hub freewheel to the front. Bought a Hozan C-700 spoke threader, hopefully easier than trying to find the right size spokes. Planning to start by figuring out the correct spoke length and attaching the 36 hole pedal hub freewheel to the stock rim. Would love to use the stock fork, somehow.

Using the spoke threader is easy as pie. Yay.

Last edited by Badzilla; 09-13-17 at 02:47 PM.